How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Being Finnish, I really, really do not care. Wars happen, people die. This may sound assholish, but oh well. I dont remember where I was when it happened, I dont know anyone who died or anyone who knew anyone who died there. I don't have to personally care, since it has no impact on my life. Eat me alive patriotic Yanks! ^^

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Well my country seems to be sensible enough.
But personally i think all the fuzz they are giving is silly, and i think it's quite hypocritical of United States to mope about it for 10 years , but then we go back and see theres been worse things THEY have done to other countries, namely Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
I counted and far more people died with those bombs and KEEP having issues, than the ones attacked in 9/11.
So yeah, i feel unsymphatetic to United States.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Israel here.
People just don't give a shit. I doubt most of them even know about it.
Pretty sad.. I did not lose anyone that day, but it's still a tragedy for me, just as any loss of life is, and that includes terrorists and criminals.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
To those saying that Americans should "stfu and get over" 9/11. I'm curious, do you think the Japanese should "stfu and get over" the bombings in Nagasaki and Hiroshima[1]? They have a park to symbolize what happened, and every year memorialize those events. I don't live in Japan so I can't say if it is still as large a rememberance as 9/11 is to Americans toady. But it is much more recent to us. 50 years from now, when the majority of people alive on 9/11 has passed on, it will become more like Perl Harbor is today, where there are only a few left who were alive when it happened, and there are smaller ceremonies, and for most it is a date on a calendar that they might think of for a few moments, and then move on with life. 150 years from now it will be more like the Battle at Gettysburg: taught about in history books, remembered primarily because someone gave a nice speech about it (4 months after it happened), but for most people a date like any other.

But you can't deny that it was a major event in lives of the American people today. If you don't care, hey, whatever. But don't be so callous to other people's feelings. I wouldn't begrudge Japanese for marking important dates in their history, I wouldn't begrudge British people for marking the subway bombings. I won't tell you how to live. But I expect the same courtesy from you.

--
[1] Yes, I recognize the irony of an American using this as a counterexample, but I also recognize the extreme impact that would have on a people. Something some of our international friends on this forum apparently don't.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
John P. Hackworth said:
To those saying that Americans should "stfu and get over" 9/11. I'm curious, do you think the Japanese should "stfu and get over" the bombings in Nagasaki and Hiroshima? They have a park to symbolize what happened, they every year memorialize those events. I don't live in Japan so I can't say if it is still as large a rememberance as 9/11 is to Americans toady. But it is much more recent to us. 50 years from now, when the majority of people alive on 9/11 has passed on, it will become more like Perl Harbor is today, where there are only a few left who were alive when it happened, and there are smaller ceremonies, and for most it is a date on a calendar that they might think of for a few moments, and then move on with life. 150 years from now it will be more like the Battle at Gettysburg: taught about in history books, remembered primarily because someone gave a nice speech about it 4 months later, but for most people a date like any other.

But you can't deny that it was a major event in lives of the American people today. If you don't care, hey, whatever. But don't be so callous to other people's feelings. I wouldn't begrudge Japanese for marking important dates in their history, I wouldn't begrudge British people for marking the subway bombings. I won't tell you how to live. But I expect the same courtesy from you.
Well,If i were to be totally sincere, biases and all,Japan's situation is far more harsh, people are still being born with horrible diseases and defects all because of that goddamn bomb. United states just suffered a tragedy that is just akin to an earthquuake.
My wording probably isn't the best, but really, America is the one that needs to get over it because it has no right to mope for so much time for something they already took revenge upon.

richardsza

Jul 16, 2009
tehpiemaker said:
richardsza said:
tehpiemaker said:
Well as an American, I think I learned something from this thread today. Don't expect sympathy from the Internet, and don't expect any sympathy from other countries. Especially if your an American.
Sympathy for who? You in particular? Did you lose family/friends? If so, then you have my sympathy. But;

If you expect sympathy just because you are American you are very naive. Does America as a country, have sympathy for the thousands of people who die EVERY day in Africa from malaria...? Nope.
No, I did not lose any family or friends. But I do know a few people who did and the sympathies are with them.
Also you ask me if America as a country has sympathy for people who die in Africa from malaria. Well of course not, because there are assholes in our country who act like everyone should just get over those people's death! People sorta like you.
. <--- That's a point.... My point to be precise. I think you may have missed it. ;)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Most people over here view it as a pretty sucky event that claimed a lot of lives. At the same time though, most people I know think American goes on about it a bit TOO much. The tube bombings that happened in England are barely spoken about.

Slayer_2 said:
I'm from Canada, and I don't really give a fuck about it anymore. In fact, hearing about it pisses me off. Since the twin towers fell, far worse shit has happened, but that shit has been ignored after the customary "month of media attention". Just because it happened to America doesn't mean it's more important.
This kind of comes to mind, though. "Thousands of people are dying in Africa!", "BUT THIS HAPPENED IN AMERICA!"

richardsza

Jul 16, 2009
tehpiemaker said:
richardsza said:
tehpiemaker said:
richardsza said:
tehpiemaker said:
Well as an American, I think I learned something from this thread today. Don't expect sympathy from the Internet, and don't expect any sympathy from other countries. Especially if your an American.
Sympathy for who? You in particular? Did you lose family/friends? If so, then you have my sympathy. But;

If you expect sympathy just because you are American you are very naive. Does America as a country, have sympathy for the thousands of people who die EVERY day in Africa from malaria...? Nope.
No, I did not lose any family or friends. But I do know a few people who did and the sympathies are with them.
Also you ask me if America as a country has sympathy for people who die in Africa from malaria. Well of course not, because there are assholes in our country who act like everyone should just get over those people's death! People sorta like you.
. <--- That's a point.... My point to be precise. I think you may have missed it. ;)
I see that point. So let me make my own. If you don't understand why it's such a big deal, don't talk about it. ---> .
Ermmmm. Kinda missing the point of a public forum there mate. Maybe you should go to page one and read the topic header again...

Grakyl

Sep 7, 2009
Even though this thread isn't quite intended for me, as I'm an American, I have to agree with the general mood of 'get over it' going around. You think your being sensitive and helping those who lost loved ones in this tragedy by making them relive the pain of it every year? If you want to be nice, yes, building a memorial is good. If you have to, every decade or so hold a moment of quiet contemplation. But don't track down all the survivors and try to interview them for 'How do you feel after losing someone in the towers?' which is what our local papers seem to have done. Here's a hint: Losing someone you love in the Towers hurts the same as losing someone you love to pretty much any random act of violence or accident. The time to actively show support in this manner has passed, if it ever existed, now it's just a morbid re-opening of old wounds.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
scorptatious said:
As an American, I guess I can't say much without sounding a bit biased. So I apologize if I offend anyone.

However, to those comparing the deaths of other tragedies to ours: don't you think it's somewhat disrespectful to the victims of both? The value of human life in my opinion shouldn't be determined by numbers or who specifically died. What matters is that on both ends, people died. On both ends, people have lost their loved ones to forces out of their control.

Why do we need to fight about this kind of thing? Why can't we just stop only looking at what's different and instead focus on what we have in common?
That's kinda what made the attacks on 9/11 occur. No one in America gave out any sympathy about what was going on in the ME in the 70's unless they were fighting the Soviets and their allies, no one was outraged when footage of the bombing of Lebanon was out because hey complaining about it is un-American and it's just some foreigners in a destabilized country dying happens everyday. And yet to OBL when he saw two Lebanese towers bombed he was immediately sympathetic and started plotting how to make Americans feel what he felt for them.

But yah it doesn't matter how many people died, would Hitler be less evil if he killed 600,000 Jews instead of 6,000,000? The attack was an attack to hit our national pride and safety in order to draw us into a war we cannot win in order to rack up so much debt that we stop being a Middle Eastern influence and well it's working.

richardsza

Jul 16, 2009
Grakyl said:
Even though this thread isn't quite intended for me, as I'm an American, I have to agree with the general mood of 'get over it' going around. You think your being sensitive and helping those who lost loved ones in this tragedy by making them relive the pain of it every year? If you want to be nice, yes, building a memorial is good. If you have to, every decade or so hold a moment of quiet contemplation. But don't track down all the survivors and try to interview them for 'How do you feel after losing someone in the towers?' which is what our local papers seem to have done. Here's a hint: Losing someone you love in the Towers hurts the same as losing someone you love to pretty much any random act of violence or accident. The time to actively show support in this manner has passed, if it ever existed, now it's just a morbid re-opening of old wounds.
Zigactly!

Death in any form, at any time, in any quantity is a tragedy. Especially senseless death at another persons hand. Rubbing the worlds nose in it every September for the past 10 years has not healed the wounds. All it does is increase ratings and keep the fear alive. And the longer you keep the fear alive, the longer the perpetrators enjoy their "victory" as that was the whole point. Fear.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I view it as a terrible tragedy, but you know, I'd be a lot more sympathetic if people would stop rubbing my fucking nose in it. It was a horrific loss of human life I get that, I just wish that Americans would stop bloody harping on about it. I genuinely used to care but now I'm just sick of it. It happened over a decade ago, and there are atrocities occuring around the world right now that are being overshadowed by the US shouting off again about how bloody sad it is and getting all patriotic and I just couldn't give a flying fuck anymore.

phew. that is a lot off my chest.

muffinatorXII

Jul 4, 2011
in Israel were kinda trying to be like America and were trying to care but me personally without anyone i know being involved in anyway in 9/11 i just dont care that much to pay attention to all of the media crap

Death Wolf113

Dec 13, 2010
this is what i don't understand hear in america we put so much time into these thing that happend in the past. where thing happen in the world everyday and we as a country don't give a shit so why should other countries care about what happend hear

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Cyrax987 said:
So because people don't know any of the 3000+ people killed, they shouldn't care and feel bad for those that lost their lives? I find it pretty distasteful that you don't think it wasn't a big deal considering it was a LOT of civilian deaths. Not trying to give you "This is 'Merica!" speech but seriously dude.

A lot of people were affected by it in a lot of emotional ways regardless of knowing any of the victims just like how Pearl Harbor affected the people that were alive when that happened. I'm sure other people feel the same for tragic attacks in their country as well.

imahobbit4062 said:
I agree with you there, if it was maybe a dozen or so killed in a car bomb or something, I wouldn't really give two shits. But 3000+ after planes flew into the highest buildings in the world? Yeah, that's not something that is easily forgotten, even if they wanted to forget.
OK, so you both need to get your facts checked. There were less than 3000 causalities, and World Trade Center was not the tallest building and had not been since 1973.
When you're not American it wasn't a big deal. Most of us don't know anyone involved, most of us have never seen the buildings except for in movies and on pictures. It was a tragedy when it happened 10 years ago, but it's not a big deal today. Sure even here we pay our respect now that it's been 10 years, but there's also so much else that's happened that's bad.

Tsunami in the Indian ocean with almost 200000 causalities, London Bombing with about 50 deaths, The war in Iraq with more than 60000 civilian deaths, the earthquake in Japan, conflicts in Syria and Egypt, the recent terror in Oslo.

I lived close enough to feel the building I was living in shake, it's a case that affected me personally, but I wont assume that you or any foreigner should feel the same as anyone of us who were actually there. All of these incidents I have mentioned and the September 11 attacks have been tragic. I am sure you don't feel grief over those who were killed in the tsunami or the London buildings. It's not relevant. It happened a good while ago and far away. We feel the same about those who died 10 years ago. Though we have lost a lot of sympathy due to the war started over it.