How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Jan 29, 2009
Being American, the 9/11 attack is a big-ish deal, especially with the buzz going around about the 10th anniversary.
However, I have no idea how other country's view it, and am wondering how you see it? Do you remember it, or recognize the day? Has it affected you guys too?

Sorry if I sound really American, but these are honest questions.

EDIT: This was written in about 20 seconds 'cos I had to get off the computer quick, so I do not mean to sound short-sighted, just short on time. Also- I'm just asking how you view it, not how America is evil or stupid or dumb or awful. If you feel like insulting the nation, you're missing the point of this.
Cheshire the Cat said:
Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
Ohrite, sorry. 9/11 rolls off the tongue easier ;)
I try not to be stereotypical, but to be honest, I've lived here my whole life, so I can only do so much.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Most people in Denmark remember where they were that day. I recall my math teacher was ill but otherwise not much, probably was playing G-Police 2 or something. Otherwise its viewed mainly as attacks on innocent but far-away civilians, so the Oslo attack has greater significance here.

Kodachi

Jun 6, 2011
Canada... on a personal level, we're respectful and sympathetic as we often have relatives that were directly affected but in the grand scheme of things, we really don't care/observe anything. It's your thing and we respect your history but it had nothing to do with us.

Goldjit

Jun 21, 2011
Don't care about it as in moved on.

Also the joke: What happened on November 9th?

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
Well most people I talk to here (Canada) generally view it the same as the people in the US do, but not as much of the conspiracy theories lurking about in the background.

HDi

Aug 23, 2010
Goldjit said:
Also the joke: What happened on November 9th?
It's not a joke... In other countries (like here in Australia) we put the day before the month when we write the date.

Nevertheless, I've never heard anyone say eleven-nine... just nine-eleven or september-eleven.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
So because people don't know any of the 3000+ people killed, they shouldn't care and feel bad for those that lost their lives? I find it pretty distasteful that you don't think it wasn't a big deal considering it was a LOT of civilian deaths. Not trying to give you "This is 'Merica!" speech but seriously dude.

A lot of people were affected by it in a lot of emotional ways regardless of knowing any of the victims just like how Pearl Harbor affected the people that were alive when that happened. I'm sure other people feel the same for tragic attacks in their country as well.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I imagine not as respected as wel US would like to hope and the way we promote it (and oh yes, we do certainly promote the hell out of it). Judging fromt he few threads ont he escpaists most countries seem to think we need to get over ourselves or stop trying to push it on to them (though why they think the US is doing that I dont know. Unless youre receiving US television stations or going to us sites that dont localize advertisements then its more your own government and tv stations pushing it on you then the US. and if youre viewing US stations, well, its not really directed at you so much as your just having to deal with it).

Right now the big tragedy to me is the <url=http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792>KHL plane that went down that is starting to show Russia still being/sinking back to third world country status (which isnt an insult or anything, just a general observation). But thats only cause Im big on Hockey.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011

The only people that still care about it in Australia are old women and channel 7 and 9.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
The year was 2001. I was a fresh-faced young lad back then, full of hope and ambition. Every morning I would wake up and watch Cheese TV before school. I loved watching Pokemon and DBZ. DBZ was my favourite show at the time. If I remember correctly, they were at the Cell saga. I woke up like normal, got dressed like normal, ate breakfast like normal, and turned on my TV like normal. But then... there was no DBZ. Only news. I waited, and waited, and waited, but there was no DBZ. There wasn't even any Pokemon. I was so sad. Those gosh darn tourists stole my childhood.

More on-topic now: I don't really care about 9/11. Yeah, it was bad and all that, but I'm not gonna have a minute of silence or anything like that.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Do you mean on an emotional level? Because it doesn't have a lot of emotional meaning for me. I didn't lose family or anyone I know, and New York is a few thousand kilometers from where I am even though I'm only a 49th parallel away from the States. I remember the attacks and the news and some parts of the day in surprisingly specific detail though, I remember our teacher telling us kind of what happened then learning about Venn diagrams with translucent coloured rings.

But if you mean "Does 9/11 have meaning internationally?" then you sure as shit better believe it does. Seriously. Anyone who wants to be like "Nah bro it's so far off from us no one really cares" or "Well I'm not American so it didn't really effect me" can shut their fat mouths because you are wrong. 9/11 changed the world, for everyone and you'd better bloody believe it was - and still is - a big deal.

fwlzdxil

Jun 9, 2010
I read a book recently, that reflected, among other things, on how dodgy this whole business was. The book was filled with hate and disgust towards America, though, so I accepted it as 100% truthful information.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
Being American, the 9/11 attack is a big-ish deal, especially with the buzz going around about the 10th anniversary.
However, I have no idea how other country's view it, and am wondering how you see it? Do you remember it, or recognize the day? Has it affected you guys too?

Sorry if I sound really American, but these are honest questions.
How do we view it? As something that happened 10 years ago and has done little but make airport check-ins even more monotonous.

Look, folks died, it was bad. Let the dead - and most of those involved fall under that - rest.