How is everyone finding the new South Park game?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say I'm absolutely loving it so far, but I am a HUGE South Park fan so it's obvious that I would. So many hilarious moments.

However, I think I prefer the Stick of Truth story wise so far. I think I also preferred the concept of the boys playing fantasy rather than superheroes and I liked stripped down combat system. That's nitpicking though. I really like it.

Who's playing it? How are you finding it?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
It's neat, but the combat sorta feels really barebones compared to the last one. They've got you on a grid and square-based attacks, and that's about how far they go with it, but you just sorta go on a linear curve in terms of setup and attacks. They don't really use movement all that much and the Speedster is hands-down broken the further into the game you get and makes even the hardest difficulty almost a snooze-fest. Also some of the animations take way too fucking long and it's not really apparent which attacks are Mash, Hit once, and Hit in sync until after you start the attack.

Also I don't really like how most of the powers are basically just actual powers as opposed to just weird occurrences as they were in the first game. Like, you've still got some things that remind you that this is all just a game they're playing like with Butters' Lava and the healing items being just food with stuff taped on it. But that's about how far it goes. I think they went a bit too far into the Superhero thing and didn't make the visuals match as well with the context of the game they're playing. You've got Kyle with the Kite literally going into Space as opposed to things like in the first game with Butters' hammer getting stuck by lightning or just throwing it at people after empowering it with "Justice".

And then there's the boss fights which largely have good ideas in them like with the Real-Time timers and openings, but what they don't tell you is that all the animations take up bits of the time as well, even though it looks like the timer goes away and pauses. And all of them have the "I TAKE 3 TURNS FOR EVERY ONE YOU TAKE, ALSO NOTHING BUT AREA ATTACKS" balancing.

There's just alot of mechanical things wrong with the game. Like, they had a bunch of good ideas, but they didn't feel like they followed through on alot of them.

Writing is full-on South Park though, so if nothing else, it still feels like you're going through an actual South Park episode, including up to the way it just abruptly ends. Also, NEARLY INSIGNIFICANT SPOILERS, your character's special attributes that were talked about in the first game are still an in-universe joke, so that's nice. Continuity is a great thing to have.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm...bored!

and I hate saying that. I loved Stick of Truth and if any game has kept me chomping at the bit, its this one.
But the plot is linear, in that character level/power/abilities/friends/quests all feel linked, to the point I don't bother finding side quests because I know I can't beat them all until the second to last mission, the characters are...cheap and don't have the feel of the previous game, the plot is fuck me I don't care! Previously the plot was everyone played GOT with the kids, and then something important happened later. This is 8 year olds are assaulting Mafia Dons in a single night silly. And not good silly.

Character wise I'm struggling with all the different classes, plus multiclass, plus redos, plus 12+ squad members. I never feel like I'm doing anything the best.

Also Boss wise, I feel like I'm 0/#+. My character is ALWAYS the least important character in the combat. Between Captain Diabeetus, the Coon and Mosquito, I struggle to find a place, do any damage and last more than 2 turns as a cyborg, assassin, caster....
and fuck me that stripper ***** killed my character round 1 and CD tanked the entire mission. Dude earned spot 1 in my squad, I'll give him that...

The only interesting characters are Call Girl, who I met once, and Tool Shed, who I met twice.

I'M SO FUCKING BORED! PLEASE ANYONE TELL ME THIS IS A SOUTH PARK GAME WORTH PLAYING!!!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
I'm...bored!
...well of course you are. Why else would you have a "Rainbow rocking instead of learning about the Wonderbolts" gif? 0_0

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I only started it last night due to Amazon being stupid, so I haven't really done that much. I like the combat, but kind of miss the turn based combat from The Stick of Truth.

But I'm looking forward to playing this a bit more this weekend, I should have enough to make a proper opinion after a few more hours play.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I finished it yesterday and it was great, while the combat gets a bit stale after a while, you're still gonna enjoy the game if you're a big fan of South Park. The game is absolutely filled with references from the show, everything from Season 3 to Season 20, even a lot of the junk that you use for crafting are references to the show.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
The game is amazing but day 1 dlc pushing in cut out content + pricing scheme setting actual price of full product to $/Euro 100 + artificial requirement for Uplay and behavioral monitoring of the gamer and their PC (despite purchase being made on other platform i.e Steam) it just makes this otherwise great product a thing that needs to be shitcanned and not purchased.

I sadly admit that after discussing it with my wife (she was also anxious to play it) we decided to skip it. I just watch other people playing it on YT. That's it :(
Ofcourse since denuvo been cracked already there are other, illegal options on the table but so far I also defy that.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
I sadly admit that after discussing it with my wife (she was also anxious to play it) we decided to skip it. I just watch other people playing it on YT. That's it :(
I don't know much about the DLC, but I'd be guessing the "normal" release is a complete enough experience to be worth the money if South Park is your type of game. However, I can completely see that watching a playthrough on Youtube time better spent (along with $$$ too) as the first game had gameplay that I could honestly skip as the South Park stuff was what made the game IMO. I'm not too interested in this new one just because I'm tired of trudging through bad gameplay in RPGs.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Silentpony said:
I'm...bored!

and I hate saying that. I loved Stick of Truth and if any game has kept me chomping at the bit, its this one.
But the plot is linear, in that character level/power/abilities/friends/quests all feel linked, to the point I don't bother finding side quests because I know I can't beat them all until the second to last mission, the characters are...cheap and don't have the feel of the previous game, the plot is fuck me I don't care! Previously the plot was everyone played GOT with the kids, and then something important happened later. This is 8 year olds are assaulting Mafia Dons in a single night silly. And not good silly.

Character wise I'm struggling with all the different classes, plus multiclass, plus redos, plus 12+ squad members. I never feel like I'm doing anything the best.

Also Boss wise, I feel like I'm 0/#+. My character is ALWAYS the least important character in the combat. Between Captain Diabeetus, the Coon and Mosquito, I struggle to find a place, do any damage and last more than 2 turns as a cyborg, assassin, caster....
and fuck me that stripper ***** killed my character round 1 and CD tanked the entire mission. Dude earned spot 1 in my squad, I'll give him that...

The only interesting characters are Call Girl, who I met once, and Tool Shed, who I met twice.

I'M SO FUCKING BORED! PLEASE ANYONE TELL ME THIS IS A SOUTH PARK GAME WORTH PLAYING!!!
It sounds like you are overthinking it to me. You don?t need to do ?the best?, it?s just meant to be a bit of a laugh. Just go through it and enjoy the silly humour and dont overthink the plot or about being really good at it. It?s South Park through and through. Do you like the show? Then you should enjoy it. If not, I don?t know how you enjoyed the Stick of Truth... it?s not quite as good as the last game, but it?s still full on South Park.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
My biggest gripe is that the movement speed is slower than the last game while having much more backtracking.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
-Dragmire- said:
My biggest gripe is that the movement speed is slower than the last game while having much more backtracking.
Are you sure about the speed? I don?t think that?s right. I?ve been playing them both intermittently over the past few days and the new kid seems slower on SOT tbh.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
The game is amazing but day 1 dlc pushing in cut out content + pricing scheme setting actual price of full product to $/Euro 100 + artificial requirement for Uplay and behavioral monitoring of the gamer and their PC (despite purchase being made on other platform i.e Steam) it just makes this otherwise great product a thing that needs to be shitcanned and not purchased.

Ofcourse since denuvo been cracked already there are other, illegal options on the table but so far I also defy that.
So I have to call you out for 2 things.
1) "Day one DLC" it's a costume pack and a summon. Are you really saying that a major factor in you not buying a game because they have costumes locked as DLC? Which in this game are just visuals and have absolutely no in game effects.

2) Complaining about Uplay. I honestly question the intelligence of gamers when I see people review bombing games because it has other game launchers. It's been years since other companies decided to launch their own platforms to compete with steam, it's a thing now, it's probably not going away anytime soon. What did you honestly expect? That this would be the one game in the last 5 years that they didn't force Uplay? I mean come on, considering you've considered pirating it you act as if the game having Uplay was a surprise.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
dscross said:
I have to say I?m absoluteky loving it so far, but I am a HUGE South Park fan so it?s obvious that I would. So many hilarious moments.

However, I think I prefer the Stick of Truth story wise so far. I think I also preferred the concept of the boys playing fantasy rather than superheroes and I liked stripped down combat system. That?s nitpicking though. I really like it.

Who?s playing it? How are you finding it?

This reminds me of something I?ve been meaning to ask on this site. First of all, why is it that apostrophes (?) are being replaced with ????s now after editing a post? Did something change to where you need to use the mobile version if on a phone for full html support or something? It?s already masochistic enough typing on a phone unless you have mantis-like fingers (I mean really, how much can be done in this cramped space [https://i.imgur.com/JDDU93g.png]), but now any edit that needs to be made also involves correcting all those little things from before.

Anyways on topic, I still have to try the first one. Not really sure how I?d handle a full game though, so waiting for a PSN or Steam sale.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Rednog said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:

So I have to call you out for 2 things.
1) "Day one DLC" it's a costume pack and a summon. Are you really saying that a major factor in you not buying a game because they have costumes locked as DLC? Which in this game are just visuals and have absolutely no in game effects.

2) Complaining about Uplay. I honestly question the intelligence of gamers when I see people review bombing games because it has other game launchers. It's been years since other companies decided to launch their own platforms to compete with steam, it's a thing now, it's probably not going away anytime soon. What did you honestly expect? That this would be the one game in the last 5 years that they didn't force Uplay? I mean come on, considering you've considered pirating it you act as if the game having Uplay was a surprise.
It's called having enough of predatory practices and having principles.

You dubiously trying to revert the cause and result doesn't help your complaints either. They're also self defeating. If your argument was that Uplay is needed to protect the game from pirates via denuvo... it's been cracked. It doesn't work.
Within 24h from launch all people who stole the software can use the game without their PC being under surveillance by Ubisoft. How about patching it then, to work as normal adventure game to customers that purchased it/would like to buy it? You know turn off PC monitoring software you try to pass up as 'launcher'. Something that crackers did overnight.

Also nice way of presenting me saying, that I defy both predatory corporate schemes and piracy as 'you've considered pirating it'. Makes your entire position so sincere and not partisan at all.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Various companies have cut story content from games to serve up as Day 1 DLC content. A strong point against many games and one I would respect, except for the fact that as I pointed out...its costumes...that literally have no in game effects. You're making a stand of "having principles" for visual flair. Is that meaningful "cut content", I argue that it isn't.

Jamcie Kerbizz said:
You dubiously trying to revert the cause and result doesn't help your complaints either. They're also self defeating. If your argument was that Uplay is needed to protect the game from pirates via denuvo... it's been cracked. It doesn't work.
Within 24h from launch all people who stole the software can use the game without their PC being under surveillance by Ubisoft. How about patching it then, to work as normal adventure game to customers that purchased it/would like to buy it? You know turn off PC monitoring software you try to pass up as 'launcher'. Something that crackers did overnight.

Also nice way of presenting me saying, that I defy both predatory corporate schemes and piracy as 'you've considered pirating it'. Makes your entire position so sincere and not partisan at all.
I first want to address the piracy thing, you brought it up. And to say that it is an option "on the table" would mean that you considered it. If that isn't what you meant that isn't my fault for your poor word choice and it doesn't make me partisan for interpreting it that way.

And the rest of this is arguing a point I didn't make, you even admit you're arguing a point I didn't make....so god know why that's the whole meat of your post.

The way I read your post is that you're unhappy that a secondary launcher is present, I'm arguing that it is a moot point. Various other companies for the last few years have been doling out their own launchers. That fight is long lost.
You want to talk about sincerity but you're saying that you were genuinely interested in the game but Uplay turned you off it. You act like the Ubisoft sprung this on people, that is asinine. It's a terrible argument. It's one thing to say well I'm not going to buy the game because I just don't like Uplay, it's another to complain that it's present in the Steam version, this wasn't a hidden fact and has been in Ubisoft games for the last 5 years. There's plenty of shit to say "Fuck Ubisoft" over, Uplay is a bottom of the barrel thoughtless argument.

It's like if I went out and bought a boxed copy of a PC game, popped it open and was furious that it contained a steam code for a game. How dare this game be tied to Steam DRM! People crack games on Steam all the time, what's the point of even having it? Why can't they just let me install and play the game off the disc?!...Except that I know it's been a thing for years so I knew what I was getting into, thus making a pointless argument.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I gave up on the first one about 30% into the game, so I didn't want to bother with this one. I also read that Ubisoft managed to put in every conceivable anti-consumer practice that exists into this game, so even if I wanted to play it I wouldn't have bought it on principle.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Rednog said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Various companies have cut story content from games to serve up as Day 1 DLC content. A strong point against many games and one I would respect, except for the fact that as I pointed out...its costumes...that literally have no in game effects. You're making a stand of "having principles" for visual flair. Is that meaningful "cut content", I argue that it isn't.

Jamcie Kerbizz said:

I first want to address the piracy thing, you brought it up. And to say that it is an option "on the table" would mean that you considered it. If that isn't what you meant that isn't my fault for your poor word choice and it doesn't make me partisan for interpreting it that way.

And the rest of this is arguing a point I didn't make, you even admit you're arguing a point I didn't make....so god know why that's the whole meat of your post.

The way I read your post is that you're unhappy that a secondary launcher is present, I'm arguing that it is a moot point. Various other companies for the last few years have been doling out their own launchers. That fight is long lost.
You want to talk about sincerity but you're saying that you were genuinely interested in the game but Uplay turned you off it. You act like the Ubisoft sprung this on people, that is asinine. It's a terrible argument. It's one thing to say well I'm not going to buy the game because I just don't like Uplay, it's another to complain that it's present in the Steam version, this wasn't a hidden fact and has been in Ubisoft games for the last 5 years. There's plenty of shit to say "Fuck Ubisoft" over, Uplay is a bottom of the barrel thoughtless argument.

It's like if I went out and bought a boxed copy of a PC game, popped it open and was furious that it contained a steam code for a game. How dare this game be tied to Steam DRM! People crack games on Steam all the time, what's the point of even having it? Why can't they just let me install and play the game off the disc?!...Except that I know it's been a thing for years so I knew what I was getting into, thus making a pointless argument.
Still with the attempts to try and reverse cause and result and strawmanning things I didn't claim.

Lets see,
I said game is great.
I said that cutting out part of it to charge extra on game launch is not ok.
None of what you complain refers to that.

It's a principle. Simple: it is bad to paywall part of in game content just to have a bait for dolphins/whales or whatever deragotary term you would like to chose to describe customers who will snap and pay extra to get everything. Complete game.
Offered content on this day 1 dlc is exact same thing that has been announced and included in the 'collector's edition'.
Basically yes is simple cosmetic asset reuse from previous game (never mentioned or argued that because that isn't my point). It is not 'we had extra time while the game got delayed, so we prepared this dlc'. It's 'we want to hook up people who couldn't care less about figurine but are completionists with money'. This is vile and we decided to not support with our money such illicit practise (among other given reasons).

Same with surveillance software, which you continue to dubiusly name 'game launcher'. Matter of principle. I do not want Ubisoft to collect my behavioral data nor register any activity on my PC. You clearly have no argument for it or it keeping product hostage, gating it purchased software from use. That's because product itself does NOT require it to function (as proven by crackers) nor it benefits from it.
I could easily buy the game then alter this glorious 'launcher' of yours to not do what I find illicit but that is beside the point. I already would have given company that do such things money they do not deserve.

But please keep on writing disingenuous tirades to made up examples, just shows your integrity.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
dscross said:
-Dragmire- said:
Are you sure about the speed? I don?t think that?s right. I?ve been playing them both intermittently over the past few days and the new kid seems slower on SOT tbh.
It feels faster than Stick of Truth's walking speed but slower than the running speed.

Maybe it's the lack of a run button that makes it feel slow to me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
I gave up on the first one about 30% into the game, so I didn't want to bother with this one. I also read that Ubisoft managed to put in every conceivable anti-consumer practice that exists into this game, so even if I wanted to play it I wouldn't have bought it on principle.
What did they do? All I've seen is a costume to buy, and the bus stop is named the DLC station...