How is Miley Cyrus the worst influence for teens?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Origin Of Resistance said:
BonsaiK said:
America has this strange thing where people who are are in the public eye aren't allowed to behave in a sexual manner. I don't get it. Most 16 year old girls experiment with sexual stuff, but suddenly they're in the public eye and they have to pretend that they're squeaky clean angels all the time? I think putting up a facade of candy-coated angelic bullshit is far more offensive than sitting on someone's lap.

Likewise, look at the way people reacted in America to the Bill Clinton thing. So he got a little bit of action on the side from the intern, so what. If that was in my country we would have bought him a beer.
In the USA's defence. It isn't just them. Us Brits also frown upon it too. Don't be so stereotypical.
I'm not a Brit either but yeah the UK seems to act in a similar way though, and have a similar history of being incredibly uptight about the facts of life. Not all countries do though.

I'm not saying every individual American or British person thinks this way, but there is a "general cultural response" from those in power in these countries that is like "oooh, sex = bad, we must keep our kids away from sexual influences, or they might actually learn something" which I find disturbing. I think that the ignorance and denial about sexuality which is fostered by the USA, UK and other countries with a similar attitude actually makes it easier for child predators and other scum to operate.

Oct 5, 2009
BonsaiK said:
BonsaiK said:
America has this strange thing where people who are are in the public eye aren't allowed to behave in a sexual manner. I don't get it. Most 16 year old girls experiment with sexual stuff, but suddenly they're in the public eye and they have to pretend that they're squeaky clean angels all the time? I think putting up a facade of candy-coated angelic bullshit is far more offensive than sitting on someone's lap.

Likewise, look at the way people reacted in America to the Bill Clinton thing. So he got a little bit of action on the side from the intern, so what. If that was in my country we would have bought him a beer.
In the USA's defence. It isn't just them. Us Brits also frown upon it too. Don't be so stereotypical.
I'm not a Brit either but yeah the UK seems to act in a similar way though, and have a similar history of being incredibly uptight about the facts of life. Not all countries do though.

I'm not saying every individual American or British person thinks this way, but there is a "general cultural response" from those in power in these countries that is like "oooh, sex = bad, we must keep our kids away from sexual influences, or they might actually learn something" which I find disturbing. I think that the ignorance and denial about sexuality which is fostered by the USA, UK and other countries with a similar attitude actually makes it easier for child predators and other scum to operate.
I suppose. It's a weird world we live in, huh?

Also, go go go being slightly drunk at 2:am!

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Because unlike hilton and lohan, she releases "music". At least if your daughter is having sex and doing drugs they're going to try to hide it from you. If they feel like singing the latest hannah montana song however...

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Cakes said:
OH DEAR GOD NO, NOT HER ACTING LIKE A TYPICAL TEENAGERRRRRR!

BonsaiK said:
America has this strange thing where people who are in the public eye aren't allowed to behave in a sexual manner. I don't get it. Most 16 year old girls experiment with sexual stuff, but suddenly they're in the public eye and they have to pretend that they're squeaky clean angels all the time? I think putting up a facade of candy-coated angelic bullshit is far more offensive than sitting on someone's lap.

Thank you, sir. My thoughts exactly.
Ok, so it's fine for someone who represents DISNEY to act like that? Don't get me wrong, sure she can have some fun. But to post it on the internet? It's a shitstorm waiting to happen.
Yes. It's totally fine. Let's show the world that the teenage girls who work for Disney aren't angels from heaven but are just teenage girls like any other, who are interested in the same things that other teenage girls are interested in. Pretending otherwise is child abuse, because it's selling our children a lie.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
BonsaiK said:
Yeah, any kind of sexuality in children's media is hidden behind an idealistic concept of "true love" or some suitably twee ideology. Not a bad influence as of itself (fidelity is becoming an increasingly under appreciated virtue) but it ignores the reality of sexual desire and the seedier side of it (all the manipulation, disrespect of feelings etc.) except on an incredibly basic highschool drama level at the very best. I don't think it makes it easily for paedophiles but I strongly believe the general prudery towards sexuality leaves children emotionally ill-equipped to deal with love in general. They may learn to use a condom and what sticks in where, but little else.

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
They're all as bad as each other really, all shallow as shit, none of them got any substance. I feel bad for people who are influenced by that sort of thing though, it's like really, these people need some serious help, not some random broad who does... something?

Also, people saying UK teens act like that and our men upstairs have the same attiude as those in the USA do, that's not true, I think we're alot more relaxed over here. Although there are some birds and a few guys I could take a crowbar to because they've never heard of Oasis or The Sex Pistols and have watched one to many American teen high school type thingys. I'm not even talking about chavs, mostly the upper class lot, they need a kick in the teeth as much as anyone.

No offense to any Americans by the way, it's nothing personal, it's just the elements of your culture that end up spreading rapidly over here, the whole High School Musical type scene. You know what I mean?

Infact, the best way to sum it up, Americans are grand, it's British people who think they're American that get on my tits.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Because she's a popular teen idol and thus sexing up our youth. And sex is evil.

But as for my thoughts, as much as I dislike her show and music, she earned my respect when she supported gay rights and got criticized by the American Family Association. The Jonas Brothers, on the other hand, will be thrown into a volcano along with their purity rings.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
A random person said:
But as for my thoughts, as much as I dislike her show and music, she earned my respect when she supported gay rights and got criticized by the American Family Association.
She supports gay rights? Last time I read something about her regarding homosexuality, she was grudging admitting the fact they were human.

EDIT: Ok, not as strong as that. Just a general "God loves you no matter what perversions you indulge in" attitude. Fair enough, quite a sensible reply imo bearing in mind her allegedly strong Christian beliefs, and not justifying the outrage it seems to have received from some sectors.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
pigeon_of_doom said:
BonsaiK said:
Yeah, any kind of sexuality in children's media is hidden behind an idealistic concept of "true love" or some suitably twee ideology. Not a bad influence as of itself (fidelity is becoming an increasingly under appreciated virtue) but it ignores the reality of sexual desire and the seedier side of it (all the manipulation, disrespect of feelings etc.) except on an incredibly basic highschool drama level at the very best. I don't think it makes it easily for paedophiles but I strongly believe the general prudery towards sexuality leaves children emotionally ill-equipped to deal with it. They may learn to use a condom and what sticks in where, but little else.
I agree with you, but that applies to virtually all modern pop culture, almost every love song ever written, almsot every single modern TV show aired in the daytime etc. Modern culture does use the excuse of "true love" as a way to justify sexual activity, ignoring that sexual activity is just a fact of life and doesn't actually require justification. The prudish attitude is a hangover from the days when religious bodies used to teach sexual health and sex ed was basically "don't do anything", and this is probably not something that's going to go away anytime soon. Which is all the more reason to support Miley Cyrus when she gets a photo or two leaked on the internet. The leaked photos might lead children to ask why she's doing stuff like that, it might make people question her, and question Disney and the whole cultural machine which makes money out of squeaky clean fairy-flossness. This is a good situation for everyone. Anything that chips away at the facade of hypocritical cultural bullshit is a good thing in my opinion.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
She gives the impression on Disney she's all fun and loving but really she's a bit of a harlot. And my example of this is the fact she's like what? 16? And she was posting pictures of her sitting on some guys lap on the internet.

That is not a good role model. (In my eyes)

Edit: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/miley-cyrus-bikini-pictures.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bittenandbound.com/2008/01/25/miley-cyrus-controversial-myspace-photos-leaked/&usg=__VMeSKjMsKvRspCN7eJ0n9ijazOw=&h=631&w=476&sz=47&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=_RX1aY3GYDHkiM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmiley%2Bcyrus%2Bcontroversial%2Bpictures%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1 ...

/thread.
really? sitting in someones lap is bad.

I hate Miley Cyrus, but this is bullshit

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
A random person said:
But as for my thoughts, as much as I dislike her show and music, she earned my respect when she supported gay rights and got criticized by the American Family Association.
She supports gay rights? Last time I read something about her regarding homosexuality, she was grudging admitting the fact they were human.
I think I've read about her AFA criticism on Wikipedia, but I can't seem to find it now. You're probably right, and if so she just lost that bit of respect.

Edit: I read your edit, and she still has that respect if she got criticized by the AFA. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, after all.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
2012 Wont Happen said:
She gives the impression on Disney she's all fun and loving but really she's a bit of a harlot. And my example of this is the fact she's like what? 16? And she was posting pictures of her sitting on some guys lap on the internet.

Edit: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/miley-cyrus-bikini-pictures.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bittenandbound.com/2008/01/25/miley-cyrus-controversial-myspace-photos-leaked/&usg=__VMeSKjMsKvRspCN7eJ0n9ijazOw=&h=631&w=476&sz=47&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=_RX1aY3GYDHkiM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmiley%2Bcyrus%2Bcontroversial%2Bpictures%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1 ...

/thread.

I'm with you. They're human, leave em alone.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
zombflux said:
2012 Wont Happen said:

/thread.

I'm with you. They're human, leave em alone.
I'm in highschool, and most of my friends are having sex. I don't particularly believe the whole abstinence thing by virtue of the fact that celebrities can't be trusted- but even if not- sex is perfectly normal for a 16 year old.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
She's a terrible role-model for teens.

Meanwhile, Chris Brown is beating his girlfriend, Lil Wayne is going to jail for illegal gun possession, and various other rappers/artists are promoting objectifying women, gun use, and 'not snitching'.

Miley Cyrus is the Wonder Bread of worst celebrity influence for teens. She's done a few things that are tasteless that make her an effectively safe option if you want to stir the pot of chicken noodle soup that is the media.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Have you seen that thread about how bad girls are (not the real name of the thread, it was done like 5 months ago), all of those people showed up on the vid saying "OMG, he's like SOOOO hot, YEAH (perky thingy mood), oh i LOVE him blah blah blah".

Yeah i think that covers it, plus their all whiny douche bags that can't handle real life.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Well she is supposed to be a role model to young girls and she "leaks" controversial pics of herself onto the web, then pole dances on tv... Thats exactly how all 11 yr old girls should act..

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
If you want a reason; probably because she targets younger kids, while still portraying less-than-parentally-admirable flaws. If you want an opinion; She's not the worst role model, but I could care less if she was taken off the air and replaced with a perfectly acted out version of the complete works of Shakespeare for little kids to watch.

See the parents' eyes bulge when Romeo and Juliet get it on.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Pff, she's not a horrible role model for teens.

[http://img98.imageshack.us/i/hitlerf.jpg/]

This guy is. He is much much worse. I thought that'd be kind of obvious.