How is the American War for Independance taught in the UK?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
It isn't taught, history tends to focus more on the 20th century, whenever it gets earlier than that it will usually be about the Saxons, the Normans, medieval Britain, Tudors or the Victorians.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
It isn't, I see it as more of a civil war anyway, it was british colonists fighting for their rights as englishmen rather than Americans, the entire thing started over having no say in how certain taxes were spent.

T.Kirkness-Little

Aug 21, 2010
We have thousands of years of history and it doesn't register next to some more significant events. It's a shame but schools can only teach so much. How much are Americans taught about the Wars of the Roses?

T.Kirkness-Little

Aug 21, 2010
blaize2010 said:
baconsarnie said:
Its not. I don't recall it ever being covered at school.
really? you'd figure losing one of the biggest colonies britain owned during the age of imperialism would at leas warrant a paragraph. shit, now i feel inconsequential, going to have to break out the flag and the red white and blue spraypaint. is India covered? Australia? as a matter of fact, how far back does your history class go? all the way to roman conquest of the isles? it does make sense, i guess, since US has only, what? two hundred something years of history to it, while england has millenia.
I got taught about India but I don't know about the rest of them. I shall go read to cover my ignorance because it is kind of shameful.

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Twenty two pages long..im not sure anyones even going to read what i have to say, but here goes.

When i read the title of this thread the first thing that came to my mind was that the person who set this thread up was of the mind set that america is great, that gaining independance was one of the things that made it geat and that if the U.K didnt teach their childeren about it then We are all still in denial, that the wound is still sore, that we dont want to admit defeat..the list goes on.

A person with that mindset would probably be posting something like this so that they could prove this to themeslves, or whoever might listen, and by doing so chalk up another reason they think ths US is better than the UK.

Thats why i was initially irritated. The UK ought to be able to be proud of itself without (and this is why i think someone called you arrogent) someone comming along and poking holes in that pride, rather than bothering to understand or realise their own flaws.

We were a major factor in the shaping of the modern world, thats something to be proud of, even if some people want to expose the imperfections of our combined achievements.

After a while i decided to give you the benifit of the doubt and assume it was purely out of curiosity about another..group of people.

Anyway

I dont remember studying American history at all in primary school. We made a life size paper sarchophagus and painted it with hyrogliphics one year, learned about the romans and..did mythology. Probably learned about Florance nightingale at some point too, and visited a castle the next village over.

I dont think i did GCSE history so if it was covered during that time i wouldnt know and i think at least one year between 7(11 year olds) and year 9 was spent doing world war one and two, we visited a holocaust center and read/wrote poems..i think..

another topic was the slave trade, triangular trade thing.

I didnt do A-level history but my sister did so maybe i can ask her if it ever came up.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Country_Bumpkin said:
The problem with this version of the pre-Civil War era is that there were plenty of prominent Southerners calling for an expansion of slavery. It was far from accepted that slavery needed to die a slow death. The idea that all Americans would eventually become industrialized was viewed as being a step down from the present situation, since being on top of a slave-holding farming society was better than being just a lowly wage laborer. And since the South had an effective veto over the Federal government, there really wasn't much else to do but allow the South to grow ever more entangled in its untenable situation.
Of course the entrenched powers were resistant. When has this ever not been the case? Are we surprised that the people benefiting the most from a system are the least apt to want to get rid of it? Or that the people most vocal about getting rid of it are people who don't have money tied up in it (or worse, the people who've already made their money from it)?

The great thing about this country, though, is that entrenched powers can't guarantee that they'll stay entrenched. A mid-term election could sway the balance of power toward the more progressive-minded, allowing legislation to start passing that begins the process.

Again, I'm not saying it would have been an easy fight, or a fast one. I'm saying there's a possibility that a gradual phasing-out of slavery would have allowed a smoother transition for both the South's economy and for those people being freed.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
T.Kirkness-Little said:
blaize2010 said:
baconsarnie said:
Its not. I don't recall it ever being covered at school.
really? you'd figure losing one of the biggest colonies britain owned during the age of imperialism would at leas warrant a paragraph. shit, now i feel inconsequential, going to have to break out the flag and the red white and blue spraypaint. is India covered? Australia? as a matter of fact, how far back does your history class go? all the way to roman conquest of the isles? it does make sense, i guess, since US has only, what? two hundred something years of history to it, while england has millenia.
I got taught about India but I don't know about the rest of them. I shall go read to cover my ignorance because it is kind of shameful.
it is kind of good to see that america isn't the only semi ignorant country. also, australia was primarily something like a prison colony, if i remember right.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
It isn't taught, history tends to focus more on the 20th century, whenever it gets earlier than that it will usually be about the Saxons, the Normans, medieval Britain, Tudors or the Victorians.
I think all schools do a very similar curriculum if not the same to this in the u.k

R4GNOR0K

Feb 14, 2009
theonlyblaze2 said:
I've wondered this before. I also wonder how World War 2 and the Holocaust are covered in Germany.
I don't see why it wouldn't. In America, we still learn about the slaughter we did to the Native American population, and, if I remember correctly, it took up much of my 4th grade curriculum.

CaptVickHartnell

Jan 12, 2011
R4GNOR0K said:
theonlyblaze2 said:
I've wondered this before. I also wonder how World War 2 and the Holocaust are covered in Germany.
I don't see why it wouldn't. In America, we still learn about the slaughter we did to the Native American population, and, if I remember correctly, it took up much of my 4th grade curriculum.
Yes, on a more serious note. Here in Australia they make sure to teach us all about the Stolen Generation and how the White settlers generally went around systematically wiping out the native culture. As far as I know they learn all about their history in Germany. Some of the best films about that piece of history have come from Germany (See. Downfall).

caeka

Aug 23, 2010
Well, as mentioned America doesn't have as much history to cover compaired to the british. So as England had a lot of other colonies they lost, it may warrant a mention. But probably would not take as much of the lessons. I think it is very important moment for American history, but not nearly as important in the UK's lesson.

Then again I wouldn't know

As a Danish person my history lessons was about vikings, and medievil kings and the like.

Bowmerang

May 30, 2011
febel said:
funguy2121 said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
...or that we invaded japan back when we still used wooden boats...
Yeah, seems I missed that lesson as well. Did a bing search and the only invasion/planned invasion of Japan that I could come up with was during WW2. When did we invade Japan?
*cough*commodoreperry*cough*
Except Commodore Perry didn't invade Japan...

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Every country has its nationalistic slant on history in education, if only slightly in some places. It's part of any extreme right-wing government's agenda after all.

I'm unsurprised that the American War of Independence isn't covered in the UK, but then, at the same time, kids do have a lot of wars to learn about, especially in British history, so you can't cover everything, and I'm sure there are others missing from American history (which is a lot shorter, being a younger nation).

Here in Australia, we tend to learn about wars about Britain and America since we often participated in the same wars once we gained our own substantial military forces. Though, we started out as part of the "British" regiments, often considered convict cannon fodder by the officers and sent unnecessarily to death when otherwise we could have been more useful. And perhaps due to our even younger status as a nation, and our proximity to Asia, we are I'd guess a little more likely to learn histories not related to the West at all, which I consider a very good thing.

But even we have historically had some arrogance in controlling what facts are given to our children. For a long time, the truth of the Stolen Generation of indigenous Australians was swept under the rug, alongside many other facts regarding who has the true rights to this land. I'm sure it was much the same in America regarding the native Americans.

The imperialism of old Britain wasn't killed in the War of Independence, it simply transferred into the new paradigms. Killing imperialism with war is a case of trying to kill murder and rape away molestation, to wash away water and to dry off fire. So let's not use this debate to pretend any of our countries are superior to the others, they aren't - every one of them has horrors and tragedies to their name. It's what we do with them now that matters most.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
I also wonder how America treats the mexican and native american wars. Wait they glorify it and make it seem like the europeans that came here were doing these guys a great justice. So if my own country won't tell me the truth then I'm pretty sure the war of independence isn't really that covered either in Great Britain or the UK or whatever. Countries wan't to have you blindly follow them and instill great patriotism, so when they mess up you'll just overlook it and when they do great you celebrate the death of Osama Bin Laden.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
My education of the details of the American civil war has stemmed almost entirely from movies (e.g. Gettysburg), video games(Gettysburg, North and South, Empire: TW) and wikipedia. Maybe the odd history channel coverage. In class, it's briefly covered, but only in a very broad sense.

park92

Aug 1, 2009
When I was in Social Studies class I learned the American Revolution for a month then spent 3 months studying the French Revolution

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
MisterShine said:
SmileyBat said:
LinwoodElrich said:
However, the sudden loss of a giant portion (Well over four times the size of their current country) of a country's land seems to be quite a major piece of history that needs be covered.
Wait, WHAT? You had thought this whole time that America has been this exact size since the 1700's, and to top it off, that England had control of it? You're missing quite a few details on how the US got its shape.
Honestly, just from eyeballing this map:

http://www.nationsonline.org/maps/political_world_map3000.jpg

The 13 colonies area looks at least 3 times larger than the UK area.

And according to wikipeida, US total area is about 40 times larger than the UK. (EDIT: 40 times as they exist today)
You have to be careful with things like that.

Most standard world maps aren't equal area projection maps, so different parts of the world appear to have areas that are bigger or smaller than they should be.

Even so, you seem to have a map that follows equal area projections, so I guess it's a viable map to do something like that with...