How long does it take you to read a book?

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
Fleischer said:
Connor Lonske said:
Months. I'm still reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I'm been trying to finish it since late June. The book is like, 230 something pages long.
Most books take me a few days, if not weeks, but I ripped right through The Road. I was cover to cover in less than two days. But I definitely was in need of cheering up after getting through that masterpiece.
All the parts about them talking about the good guys makes me want to cry, 'cause there aren't any. ;_;

Great book, gonna finish it now.

DSEZ

Aug 8, 2009
i had really bad insomnia one time and i finished IT by stephen king in like 8 hours

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
388 wpm 100% comprehension!!

Suck on that bitches!

P.S. Sorry if this sounds rude and like me being total superiority complex, but I'm 3x above average. YEAH!

OT: I can read 400 pages in less than 8 hours, but I normally get distracted and play games or such, so maybe like 1000 pages a week.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
I read the last Harry Potter in one sitting that was about 7 hours long. I think that was the last time I sat down and straight up read for extended periods of time. Normally I just ride on the bus when I head to class, am waiting for class, etc or when I am on the can or in the tub. I did learn from the many extended sessions of reading to never lie on your stomach, you will cramp something fierce when you get up several hours later.

basedg0d_a0s

Jul 25, 2011
if i really get into a book then i can read it quite fast. i rarely sit down and take the time out to read a long book though. at the same time i think that if i started reading more books i could get more into it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I could read a 500 page book in 2 days maybe if I was really engrossed, I could do it in one day, but I tend to read when I go to bed, so I go to sleep purely out of going "blimy it's 6am!"
While we're on the wpm count, I took a test with this professor once and got 483 wpm with about 80% comprehension so that's pretty good.

I've already read pretty fast, but I think my ability to do it these days comes from playing guitar hero, expert songs that are blazingly fast require you to do it without thinking about what you're playing, so I guess my ability to speed "read" comes from GH. Good for teaching one thing I guess :p

I don't really read that many books these days though, I read all the time when I was younger, so I think I just burned out a bit, I mainly read comics, if I read a book it'll be an autobiography.

Jun 16, 2010
Raognerrrm said:
According to the test I got 1054 wpm and 100%.
So I guess you could say I read fast.
But then I'm not really a normal person, so that's not really a good indicator of what is.
Wow, you should become an editor. You would make a killing. With 1000+ wpm and 100% comprehension, you could probably do a month's worth of editing work in a day!

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
a 500 pager? assuming it has roughly the same complexity and word density as a 500 page book should, probably a few days. i read really quickly though. i got a 780 on the reading portion of the SAT back in HS so my reading comprehension is pretty good

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
James Joseph Emerald said:
Raognerrrm said:
According to the test I got 1054 wpm and 100%.
So I guess you could say I read fast.
But then I'm not really a normal person, so that's not really a good indicator of what is.
Wow, you should become an editor. You would make a killing. With 1000+ wpm and 100% comprehension, you could probably do a month's worth of editing work in a day!
Editors are the play-testers of the literature world. You wouldn't want a play-tester to race through a level and say basic things about it; you'd want lots and lots of detailed comments.
Editing!=basic comprehension.

Edit (lol): and I also have no interest in editing. Just sayin'.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I read, on average, about 100 pages/hour. So a 400 page book will take me about 4 hours of reading.

I don't know whether this is fast or so, but I suspect it is a respectable speed to read at. I am able to skim information far faster, and still have respectable recall.

yoz13

Mar 17, 2010
Depends if i'm engrossed in my book, if not it could take weeks but if I am it could take hours

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Well it depends how into the book I am. I once got a mahusive book and read it in all my spare time (bearing in mind I spent 6 hours at school and the hours of journeying there and back) and finished in 4 days, and I'm really pleased I did because there were so many small details you don't want to forget. Usually it takes me a few weeks though, that was a one off. I have more concentration span than you but still usually can't read for more than a half hour.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
Well, people read in different ways.

When I read, I often need to take a break to process what I've read if it was emotionally marking for me. That can mean stopping in the middle of a sentence at times, and going for a walk. That also happens when watching stuff, which is why sometimes I like cinema less because I need to do all the processing after the movie, so I don't talk to people for a while once it's over. Plus I don't get my guessing.

That's another thing... It depends on the book, but for some I'd rather not finish it for a while. I'm in the story, the universe until the book is over. So if I'm enjoying myself, I don't want to be over too soon.

For instance, the Harry Potter books I would read a chapter per day. Reading the chapter in itself was very fast, and then I had a whole day to think about it, figure out things from hints, etc. I feel I got much more from the books (starting at the 5th one) than if/when I read them all in one go. I guessed a LOAD of stuff for instance. It's really not the same guessing something before it happens for sure and noticing the hints of it on your second read when you already know it happens.

When I read, though, I usually like doing it for a while. I don't have much time anymore so I do it less if at all. But also, when I read it's rare that I'm reading only one book. Usually I have a bunch I read at the same time. It might average one per week but it's more four of them taking me a month, for instance. I like being able to just get my mind off something and into something else, and I get overwhelmed getting too much of one thing at once. I'm the same with games or shows, etc. I'd rather watch an episode each of 5 shows than 5 episodes of the same show back to back.

Same thing with my translations, I'd rather have several projects I work on at the same time and jump from one to the next than doing them one after another.

Anyway, in short, everyone reads in the way that works for them. I need to be in a place I feel safe and comfortable, some people can read in a moving place or just anywhere. I like reading several things some people like focusing on one. Whatever you do isn't wrong if it works for you.

EDIT: I took the test and got 250wpm speed with 100% comprehension, so that makes me a really efficient reader and double the average ewpm, which I'm pretty happy with.

Murray Kitson

Mar 8, 2011
It really doesn't matter how many pages a book is. What matters is the total words. But as for the time it takes me to finish the average 300k word book, a day if I find it interesting. Something like The Count of Monti Cristo... a week, but that book is over 1m words if memory serves.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
It depends. I can get through 400 pages in a day, but it could take anything up to two weeks. A matter of schedule and inclination.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Depends,if I constantly read it,it should only take me a few hours. Otherwise it can take X amount of time to finish a book,ultimately depends on when I pick it up again.

I have yet to finish Moby Dick.

MasTerHacK

Apr 15, 2009
I've read the 5th Harry Potter in 2 days when it just came out, had to go to school, and I think I was only 10 'bout then, not sure.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Depends on how much time I have and how easily I can get into a book. A book like The Kingkiller Chronicles I could knock out in a week at most if I has time to just sit there and continuously read like I used to when I was a kid. My record is 734 pages in two days.