How long until PETA goes after Far Cry 3?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, they just went after pokemon, i don't know, 30 years after the first one came out?

So probably around 2043. These guys aren't they quickest.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
If they haven't already, give them a decade or so. Mario didn't first don the Tanooki suit in 2012 after all.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
6th And Silver said:
Ryotknife said:
considering it took them a decade or two to realize the mario suit, im going to guess....sometime in 2030's
Wait, but the Mario thing didn't even make sense, since Mario was just wearing a costume[footnote]I think. Probably.[/footnote], and thus no fictional animals were harmed. A better example would be Pokemon, seeing as it's WAY more obvious, and they were still just about the last people on Earth to figure it out.

But as far as Far Cry 3 goes, I think the effort it would take them to find out about the "skinning animals" aspect of the game[footnote]I.e., doing some research into the game beyond looking at the front cover[/footnote] will turn out to be too much for PETA, and they'll let it slide. And then make a flash game parody of it 15 years from now.

I'm thinking...."Far CRY", with a picture of some crying animals off to the side.
FUR Cry?

I had to do it, my pun senses were exploding. Don't hurt me.

hideomgskojima

Dec 1, 2008
PETA kill animals themselves, euthanasia style. So they are a bit hypocritical in their ways if you ask me.

SAVE THE ANIMALS!!!! (whispers) apart from those we can't look after, then we euthanise those...

hideomgskojima

Dec 1, 2008
LetalisK said:
I'm surprised some "family values" group hasn't ran onto the scene yet. Seeing as how people flipped their shit over Mass Effect, I would think they'd be really losing it with Far Cry 3.
When you think about it, those same family values groups are often conservative groups, which often consist of people who support the second amendment in the USA. Which in turn means that a lot of them shoot and hunt for sport. So if they got involved it would be a bit hypocritical, I think that the best shot those groups have is this.

The ending where you stay with Cidra and slit the throats of your friends, then proceed to fuck Cidra who encouraged you to kill them. Also the multiple times you go on a trip thanks to some poisonous/hallucinogenic shit

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Jimmy T. Malice said:
I'd say never, since the animals in the game aren't real.
They went after Mario's Tanooki suit, which he gets from a magical leaf.

Far Cry 3 isn't high enough profile for them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Katatori-kun said:
erttheking said:
Katatori-kun said:
I've got a great idea. There's this obnoxious organization that distracts from real animal cruelty cases in its quest to grab as much attention as it can for absurd things. Let's give them more attention when it's completely unjustified. Damn, it feels good to imagine everyone hates us.
Why is it I get the feeling that you're angry?
I'm not angry, I'm just tired of gamers effecting a persecution complex.

Video games are a multi-billion dollar industry. There are countries with GDPs smaller than the annual revenue from game sales. We have annual gamer conventions. We have tv channels dedicated just to gamers. We have innumerable websites just for game discussion. We have "game journalists". We have professional gamers for crying out loud!

And let's not forget the enormous clout gamers hold as a market. Brands like Doritos and Mountain Dew find gamers to be an important enough demographic to devise marketing specifically to them. Hell, just last year a game company was forced to effectively re-write the ending of a game because so many gamers were upset about it. We are a huge and powerful community.

And yet, gamers leap at the chance to feel victimized. From the outrage over a Connecticut town buying violent video games in order to destroy them to the outrage on this forum every time someone proposes researching video game violence, people are just looking to be upset. Gamers continue to demonize Anita Sarkeesian merely for wishing to look at the way women are portrayed in games, as though this is some kind of attack on the community. Now we have you inventing persecution that hasn't even happened yet.

Gamers constantly talk about wanting their medium to be an art. Well, that's never going to happen as long as gamers relish the feeling of being a persecuted minority.
....dude...do you know why I created this thread? Because I thought that it would be a funny joke. I went "oh, in this game you can set fire to dogs with a flamethrower and kill sharks with a .50 cal, man, PETA is going to be pissed," because these were the same people that went after Mario for wearing a suit he got from a magic leaf! I'm not talking about how we're victims, I'm mocking PETA because they're fucking morons! And now you're going on a rant on how gamers enjoy pretending that they're persecuted minority or something? Dude. Lighten the Hell up.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Katatori-kun said:
erttheking said:
....dude...do you know why I created this thread? Because I thought that it would be a funny joke.
No doubt you thought it would be a funny joke. And what exactly is it that you think makes your joke funny? These things don't exist in a vacuum.
Because PETA are a bunch of idiots who lose their shit the second an animal in a medium stubs their toe! So I'd thought that I'd put them in the same paragraph as a game that has an entire section of the game dedicated to killing the wildlife of an island.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Katatori-kun said:
erttheking said:
Because PETA are a bunch of idiots who lose their shit the second an animal in a medium stubs their toe!
Uh-huh. I think I'll let this stand on its own. Lashing out at groups that are different from you is stage 2 of the persecution complex.
.....WHAT!? Are you freaking serious? I have a complex because I made a joke about PETA? Do I have a complex because I make jokes about the WBBC or the KKK? Are you kidding me? I'm not lashing out act them because they're different, I'm lashing out at them because the things that they do are fucking disgusting, including KILLING THOUSANDS OF ANIMALS!

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

lacktheknack said:
Where did that come from?

And why?

Being pissed at a shameless and hypocritical animal-killing company that actively tries to annoy people is a sure sign of having a complex?

I'll let THAT stand on its own.
What he said.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jimmy T. Malice said:
I'd say never, since the animals in the game aren't real.
http://features.peta.org/mario-kills-tanooki/

OT: Hopefully never, it's not a big enough target.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Katatori-kun said:
erttheking said:
Because PETA are a bunch of idiots who lose their shit the second an animal in a medium stubs their toe!
Uh-huh. I think I'll let this stand on its own. Lashing out at groups that are different from you is stage 2 of the persecution complex.
Where did that come from?

And why?

Being pissed at a shameless and hypocritical animal-killing company that actively tries to annoy people is a sure sign of having a complex?

I'll let THAT stand on its own.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
They didn't do anything about Assassins Creed 3.

Do you have any idea how many rabbits I stabbed in that game?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
PETA haven't come down on Far Cry 3 because they're not particularly concerned about videogames, or indeed the media; most of the awful things they do 'because' of media are publicity stunts, or they certainly seem that way.

Horrible as it may be, they're more concerned about action than images, if you follow my meaning.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
hideomgskojima said:
LetalisK said:
I'm surprised some "family values" group hasn't ran onto the scene yet. Seeing as how people flipped their shit over Mass Effect, I would think they'd be really losing it with Far Cry 3.
When you think about it, those same family values groups are often conservative groups, which often consist of people who support the second amendment in the USA. Which in turn means that a lot of them shoot and hunt for sport. So if they got involved it would be a bit hypocritical, I think that the best shot those groups have is this.

The ending where you stay with Cidra and slit the throats of your friends, then proceed to fuck Cidra who encouraged you to kill them. Also the multiple times you go on a trip thanks to some poisonous/hallucinogenic shit
That is what I was talking about, actually. I didn't figure family values groups would care about the shooting, but a nipple? Oh noes!

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Nieroshai said:
6th And Silver said:
Ryotknife said:
considering it took them a decade or two to realize the mario suit, im going to guess....sometime in 2030's
Wait, but the Mario thing didn't even make sense, since Mario was just wearing a costume[footnote]I think. Probably.[/footnote], and thus no fictional animals were harmed. A better example would be Pokemon, seeing as it's WAY more obvious, and they were still just about the last people on Earth to figure it out.

But as far as Far Cry 3 goes, I think the effort it would take them to find out about the "skinning animals" aspect of the game[footnote]I.e., doing some research into the game beyond looking at the front cover[/footnote] will turn out to be too much for PETA, and they'll let it slide. And then make a flash game parody of it 15 years from now.

I'm thinking...."Far CRY", with a picture of some crying animals off to the side.
FUR Cry?

I had to do it, my pun senses were exploding. Don't hurt me.
Holy crap, that's SO much better. I just feel bad that I didn't think of it first.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm guessing they don't go after it at all. At least, not in any serious sense. PETA tends to have a very narrow focus in video games. This isn't in their MO, unless there's something I'm missing in FC3.