How long until this Pandemic ceases?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
EFFECTS ON THE HEART Top tweets referencing a Scientific American review of studies on possible long-term effects of COVID-19 on the heart generated 104 000 social media engagements (of which 60% on Reddit, 35% on Facebook, 5% on Twitter). • CHILDREN A science and society article in Undark which reported on prolonged COVID-19 illness in children had 2000 social media engagements.

Like, how is this even remotely reliable 'evidence' for a disease/syndrome whatever for which no official diagnosis even exist?
All that social media engagement reminds me of crazy anti-vax science that go viral over facebook. Just because a bunch of people on social media are clicking links, doesn't make the information true.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
All that social media engagement reminds me of crazy anti-vax science that go viral over facebook. Just because a bunch of people on social media are clicking links, doesn't make the information true.
You're just like Trump! Calling reputable sources like WHO fake news! How dare you?
1605627832233.png

Reactions: CriticalGaming

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Uhu, which is why I am trying to make a distinction between observable symptoms (coughing, fever etc.) and subjective symptoms (fatigue, confusion etc.). It is obvious this isn't getting through to you though.
So do you really try to imply that people with 'long covid' have both a cough and fever for years on end without evidence for infection? Fever in particular is a clear sign of infection. What is this, mystery disease? Otherwise a cough is just a lingering symptom that will resolve on it's own. So yes ofcourse any symptom that will last for longer than a month is a subjective symptom. No one is walking around with fevers or coughs for months/years on end unless they are very sick to begin with.

So you cherry picked the one thing you could argue against without checking if it has any relevance to the point I am making (pro tip: it doesn't) and without checking if using Reddit and Facebook as sources might be relevant in context (pro tip: it is). As is obvious from the paragraph you quoted here, but probably didn't read, it is excerpts from a monitoring of social media engagement surrounding long term covid-19. That is distinct from the symptoms and effects of long term covid-19, which is what I've been discussing and which appears on pages 8-12, not 14.

At this point I should just thank you for proving my point that you are way overestimating your own ability to understand this topic when you can't even grasp a power point presentation meant for public display.
The WHO based it's metrics on social media so how is this information even remotely reliable? It's the same platform where people argue the earth is flat and the world government is run by pedophiles in a pizzeria. I could go post on Reddit now that Covid made me grow a tail, but that doesn't make it necessarily true. You can be condescending all you like but sidestepping the premise of your argument doesn't make for a very convincing case. Let alone a medically reliable one. How would this compare to other diseases? '''The information on Facebook says you have cancer, let us start the treatment''.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Fever in particular is a clear sign of infection.
No, it isn't. Fever can also be caused by (for instance) immunological and inflammatory disorders, cancer, metabolic disorders, neurological disorders and certain medications. In chronic conditions, it may also be experienced in recurrent, acute episodes or "flare ups".

We also already know that covid-19 can cause damage to the lungs, heart and brain which can be long-term or permanent - even from mild cases, too.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
No, it isn't. Fever can also be caused by (for instance) immunological and inflammatory disorders, cancer, metabolic disorders, neurological disorders and certain medications. In chronic conditions, it may also be experienced in recurrent, acute episodes or "flare ups".

We also already know that covid-19 can cause damage to the lungs, heart and brain which can be long-term or permanent - even from mild cases, too.
There's more neurological esoteric stuff like loss of taste, loss of smell, etc.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
For years on end? When Covid-19 has been around for barely a year and has been pandemical for seven or so months? If you bothered to actually read up on the sources I used, both of which mirrors what the medical community currently consider long term covid, you'd see that they are discuss persistent or recurring symptoms after the infectious period is over.

Once again you also show that you don't know much about medicine (which I arguably don't either compared to actual doctors). You don't need to be 'very sick' to have a persistent cough, reasons for that can be anything from polyps in your throat, irritated vocal chords, sensitive throat, allergy, minor lung issues or just simple vestigial symptoms from a cold (young children notably can go coughing for months after a common cold, my youngest son has had a nasty cough for four weeks and it is still going strong despite him being free from other cold symptoms for three weeks). Recurring fever is more uncommon but is a sign of long term covid. So we can tell that:
A) You need to learn what a subjective symptom is. A subjective symptom is one that can not be measured or monitored by an outside party. These include fatigue, nausea, muscle pain etc.. Basically any symptom which can only be self-reported. The advanced course here is that some symptoms can be subjective in some stages but objective in others. Anxiety for example is inherently subjective but once it crosses a certain threshold it becomes observable due to motoric agitation, sweating, increases in blood pressure and pulse etc.. It still remains subjective because the severity of anxiety is largely dependent on the person who suffers it (pain works very much the same way).
B) Any symptom which can be measured or seen is an observable symptom. If you cough, have a fever, a runny nose or bleeding gums that can be observed and is thus not subjective. Hence if you are coughing for weeks or months on end after Covid-19 that's not subjective, that's objective because it can be observed that you do.

So please just stop making stuff up about things you know nothing about. Your definition of subjective is inane and not what subjective actually means when discussed in medical, nursing or healthcare terms.
Again what is so uncommon about malaise or cough a few weeks after infection is over? You just attributed a cough to various other conditions that aren't covid. How many people in general, long before covid, go to hospitals with health complaints and then medical tests show no abnormalities? Half? More than that even? If you put a magnifying glass on people when they self-report on health issues ofcourse much more complaints will come to light. That is why there are tests, to distinguish 'serious' from 'not serious'. That doesn't mean people aren't bothered by their symptoms but there is no way to ascertain these symptoms are either psychosomatic or indeed even related to post covid infection considering how regular they are.

Did you read what I wrote at all? You are hung up on a monitoring of engagement with long term covid in social media. Which is not what I discussed. Once again: Pages 8-12 is where you will find the information I used. Not Page 14 where discussions on social media engagement is and where Reddit and Facebook are valid sources if you use them to measure social media engagement.
It literally says 'self-reported symptoms' and is then further divided into categories of people who already have a laundry list of comorbidities. Most of them obese or already asthmatic. And like I expected psychiatric also scores really high to the point it even warrants further investigation.

''The finding of an association between chronic psychiatric conditions and delayed return to usual health requires further evaluation.''

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
All of these with diagnosis that isn't 'long covid'.

Outside the risk group that is extremely rare.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
There's more neurological esoteric stuff like loss of taste, loss of smell, etc.
Yup.

The olfactory and gustatory neurones aren't directly affected by covid-19, but some of the surrounding cells (including blood vessel cells) that support their function do. Disrupting the function of these support cells can then cause dysfunction of the neurones, even to the point of loss of nerve endings, which may take over a year to or even never recover. In some cases, there are also reports that people have altered sense of taste and smell, probably because the function of these cells or how the information from them is processed has been altered due to the damage.

Reactions: Iron

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Did you get called for the rescue?
I just thought it was funny. Even thought you might appreciate that one. But if you see conspiracies everywhere, I guess there's no helping it.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
All of these with diagnosis that isn't 'long covid'.
As I said before, there is evidence that gastrointestinal infections can lead (probably through immunological causes) to damage of dopaminergic neurones in the brain and thus eventual Parkinson's disease. In a similar way, infections are linked to autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis.

It is perfectly credible that "long covid" represents long-term alterations to immunological responses, other forms of cellular activity, or permanent damage to tissues, caused by SARS-CoV-2. This would fit with available knowledge. Such effects might not be easily observable or testable without a lot of research, though.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
As I said before, there is evidence that gastrointestinal infections can lead (probably through immunological causes) to damage of dopaminergic neurones in the brain and thus eventual Parkinson's disease. In a similar way, infections are linked to autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis.

It is perfectly credible that "long covid" represents long-term alterations to immunological responses, other forms of cellular activity, or permanent damage to tissues, caused by SARS-CoV-2. This would fit with available knowledge. Such effects might not be easily observable or testable without a lot of research, though.
It is a credible concern. The issue was that the reports pf the WHO couldn't be criticized without a noticeable backlash (accusations such as "you can't read" spring to mind). This requires further study and observation.
BTW I can send you a case where a woman without a sense of smell regained it after she was infected by Covid and recovered. She apparently lost her sense of smell 12 years ago as a result of influenza.
edit: bollocks, I can't find a source in English, just some morning tv segment.
I just thought it was funny. Even thought you might appreciate that one. But if you see conspiracies everywhere, I guess there's no helping it.
I had to look up the word, and the joke isn't funny anymore after it's explained to you.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

By the same token you can argue multiple sclerosis is because of genetic susceptibility of primarily people of northern European descent. It is not easily observable or testable because there are no direct correlations only many interacting variables. A certain infection might trigger a genetic susceptibility or it might not or only in some people with other predispositions. It's ultimately impossible to protect yourself from all of life''s ills, inherited or otherwise.