How many forums have you been banned from?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
None AFAIK, though I'm not sure it's the sort of thing I'd remember.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
None. I really don't do the forum thing aside from this site.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
None. I've found that basic civility and avoiding discussions that've devolved into arguing and shit-flinging easily prevents banishments from happening. That said, I've frequented very few forums over the years because so many online discussion DO devolve into arguing and shit-flinging.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
None. I've found that basic civility and avoiding discussions that've devolved into arguing and shit-flinging easily prevents banishments from happening. That said, I've frequented very few forums over the years because so many online discussion DO devolve into arguing and shit-flinging.
And when some forums put in a few hard rules about topics of discussion - politics/religion being the big two - everyone starts screaming about their right to speech. Forgetting that as the owners of a forum, its moderators may set rules and restrictions in a way the hope will allow fruitful and robust conversation regarding the forum's point and purpose without everything getting dragged out into the mulberry bushes for random bullshit tangents.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I used to post over on the Fantasy Flight Gaming (FFG) forums, for their star wars roleplaying gameline for quite a while. But, I had to stop that, as it's basically a microcosm of how a religion can schism over time, and have zealous fanatics, willing to flame anyone that dares to question the validity of their interpretation of scripture (canon). They will even cite the various materials published to plead their case on what is/isn't "true star wars"

One guy in particular was infamous for just NEVER admitting anything he EVER said was wrong, even when presented with evidence directly to the contrary, or the topic being a matter of opinion on something. And he would never ever ever EVER, let anyone else, get the last word on a topic.

So I had to stop posting there, as it just got so frustrating. Dealing with that forum, was where I started to more actively just wash my hands in threads, and be like "look, we've been circling this for 3 pages of this thread now, and clearly neither of us are going to change the other's mind. So I'm just done talking about it. We disagree, and I'm frankly done spending energy on this." I've found it works amazingly well for minimizing my overall stress from forum discussions. To just step back, and step out of the conversation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One guy in particular was infamous for just NEVER admitting anything he EVER said was wrong, even when presented with evidence directly to the contrary, or the topic being a matter of opinion on something. And he would never ever ever EVER, let anyone else, get the last word on a topic.
You think that's bad, it's a million times worst on GameFAQs. IMDB had this problem too back in the day, but at least had moderators that gave a crap. I do know by 2012/13 most people left and the site was failing any way. The guy you described had one exactly like that on the VG forum section, except replace religion with COD and Uncharted. He always had to be right about everything and claimed, "COD and Uncharted are the best games evah!" and everything else sucks. What's funny is the dude is from Puerto Rico and is not American. He never got banned, because he knew enough not to do too many insults. I don't know what happened to him after the IMDB forums closed down and I do not care.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Been a very good user/abuser of forums so far with zero exiles. BUT... Microsoft banned me from my long-term hotmail email account for reasons I will never ever know. Fucking assholes don't let you speak to a single frigging human neither, despite trying to trick their automation into speaking with one, so had no recourse and had to sort out so much shit with every place I'd used the email with, with some places giving no choice but to start new profiles and abandon the old ones to the digital void. Everyone should hate Microsoft btw.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You think that's bad, it's a million times worst on GameFAQs. IMDB had this problem too back in the day, but at least had moderators that gave a crap I do know by 2012/13 most people left and the site was failing any way. The guy you described had one exactly like that on the VG forum section, except replace religion with COD and Uncharted. He always had to be right about everything and claimed, "COD and Uncharted are the best games evah!" and everything else sucks. What's funny is the dude is from Puerto Rico and is not American. He never got banned, because he knew enough not to do too many insults. I don't know what happened to him after the IMDB forums closed down and I do not care.
To clarify, they weren't talking about religion specifically. They were talking about Star Wars AS IF it were a religion. I remember bringing it up once on those forums, how it felt like various schisms in actual religious histories, and one poster said "Yeah, and I might've even done a thesis on the similarities between SW and religion for one of my courses" :LOL: Which didn't surprise me at all.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well I got banned from Twitter, which I guess is this biggest, shittiest forum out there. I reported too many media outlets for insinuating that certain charities were actually fronts by communist rebels (what we call red-tagging here). Twitter decided they didn't want to bother with my reports anymore and blocked me for "attempting to suppress information". Yeah, I'm sure my handful of reports really did a number on these state sponsored media accounts with tens of thousands of followers.

Honestly kind of glad to be off it, was definitely a source of stress in my life. Even if I largely used it to interact with my college friends. I kinda miss keeping up with them, but I guess its worth it to stop doomscrolling so much.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well I got banned from Twitter, which I guess is this biggest, shittiest forum out there. I reported too many media outlets for insinuating that certain charities were actually fronts by communist rebels (what we call red-tagging here). Twitter decided they didn't want to bother with my reports anymore and blocked me for "attempting to suppress information". Yeah, I'm sure my handful of reports really did a number on these state sponsored media accounts with tens of thousands of followers.

Honestly kind of glad to be off it, was definitely a source of stress in my life. Even if I largely used it to interact with my college friends. I kinda miss keeping up with them, but I guess its worth it to stop doomscrolling so much.
Yeah I never dipped my toes into Twitter, and gave up Facebook probably....a decade ago? I'm just not that social when online. I don't do things that I feel I need to post and share with people, and I usually don't care about what others are doing in that capacity to want to follow anyone. I found I was only using FB to play some of those FB community video games, and nothing else. Decided I didn't need to mess with that junk anymore.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah I never dipped my toes into Twitter, and gave up Facebook probably....a decade ago? I'm just not that social when online. I don't do things that I feel I need to post and share with people, and I usually don't care about what others are doing in that capacity to want to follow anyone. I found I was only using FB to play some of those FB community video games, and nothing else. Decided I didn't need to mess with that junk anymore.
Unfortunately Facebook is ingrained in our university's culture and I have literally no choice but to use it or remain totally in the dark about registration matters, class openings, etc, etc. Really annoying to be honest, but you can't beat its convenience.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah I used to post over on the Fantasy Flight Gaming (FFG) forums, for their star wars roleplaying gameline for quite a while. But, I had to stop that, as it's basically a microcosm of how a religion can schism over time, and have zealous fanatics, willing to flame anyone that dares to question the validity of their interpretation of scripture (canon). They will even cite the various materials published to plead their case on what is/isn't "true star wars"

So I had to stop posting there, as it just got so frustrating. Dealing with that forum, was where I started to more actively just wash my hands in threads, and be like "look, we've been circling this for 3 pages of this thread now, and clearly neither of us are going to change the other's mind. So I'm just done talking about it. We disagree, and I'm frankly done spending energy on this." I've found it works amazingly well for minimizing my overall stress from forum discussions. To just step back, and step out of the conversation.
I miss Houseman sometimes (/s). He was such the caricature of the online troll, it was a sight to behold sometimes, how he could carry (well, "drag") a thread for a dozen pages simply by taking the least popular/opposing stances to engage in what he tried to sell as "discussion." You could start a thread about how barbaric and horrific cannibalism is, and his knee-jerk response would be to cite a half dozen resources on the nutritional value of the average human body and gaslight you by suggesting you're being unreasonable not considering eating people.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I miss Houseman sometimes (/s). He was such the caricature of the online troll, it was a sight to behold sometimes, how he could carry (well, "drag") a thread for a dozen pages simply by taking the least popular/opposing stances to engage in what he tried to sell as "discussion." You could start a thread about how barbaric and horrific cannibalism is, and his knee-jerk response would be to cite a half dozen resources on the nutritional value of the average human body and gaslight you by suggesting you're being unreasonable not considering eating people.
Yeah he was like Houseman a lot. Though I would say the guy over at FFG forums was probably more genuine with his posting, he was just....very blunt and had zero chill.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Gaiaonline, good riddance.

Deviantart, noone to blame but myself. I suffered a complete breakdown and broadcast it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I got banned from IMBD's message boards back when they had them. I liked to do roleplays/games on them, they told me I wasn't allowed to do off-topic stuff outside of the off-topic section, I pointed out that there was no off-topic session, I got banned for arguing with the mods.

Reactions: Agema

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Unless I'm just completely forgetting something back from the 90's era of the internet or I got banned after I stopped using a forum anyway, I've never been banned from one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wasn't allowed to do off-topic stuff outside of the off-topic section, I pointed out that there was no off-topic session, I got banned for arguing with the mods.
Seriously? I swore that they had a general/off-topic discussion forum. If they didn't why the hell did it matter you were off-topic? There were many users guilty of making threads off-topic in the general discussion, so why did the asshole mods single you out? I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The big problem with cannibalism is that if you are eating people who have died of illness you have a chance of spreading the disease to healthy people and causing a plague. Kuru decimated a cannibal tribe an Papau New Guinea, and can't be eliminated by proper food preparation (which they didn't do anyway.)

Eating healthy people is mostly out of the question as humans are far more useful as a workforce than a food source.