How many languages do you know?

Mar 30, 2010
English is my native language, and I used to be fluent in both German and French, but both of these are now *slightly* rusty due to not having spoken either of them in the best part of ten years. I can still understand/read both of them to a basic level, but grammatical knowledge has gone right out of the window so I can no longer speak either of these languages (at least intelligibly).

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
Only English and Hungarian. But I need to learn Italian (will be living there soon)

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
In order of most to least:

English
German (Learned for three years, quite rusty.)
Spanish (Just come back from South America, learned a bit there.)
Maori (Enough to get basic greetings out of the way and count - among a few other things. Took Maori lessons but my teacher only taught me rude songs.)

SamFancyPants252

Sep 1, 2009
holy hell my country is far, far behind the rest of the world when it comes to mulitlingual-ness.
Over here the average is....uh, one.
But I like to think I am getting good at Italian.
so let's say 1.6

Frungy

Feb 26, 2009
1. English (fluent, native)
2. Afrikaans (fluent but not native, I have an accent - Afrikaans is the bastard offshoot of German and Dutch, otherwise known as Kitchen Dutch and so I can understand a fair amount of both Germand and Dutch if someone speaks slowly and doesn't use long words)
3. Japanese (conversational, a vocabulary of about a thousand words, I can read and write hirgana, katakana and about 300 kanji - JPLT level 3, aiming for 2)
4. Zulu (conversational - Zulu is a South African tribal language native to Kwa-Zulu Natal. I also speak enough shalapalapa/toetsie taal to make myself understood for basic requests, greetings and conversations. Shalapalapa/toestie taal is a blend of African languages from Sesotho to Xhosa)

I can speak enough French, Italian, Tagalog and Khmer for basic greetings, to say I'm lost and to get directions, and to negotiate prices. I get lost a lot. Oh, and I can swear in Irish Gaelic (but Scottish Gaelic and Welsh leave me completely confused) :p .

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
German is my mother tongue.
I've learned/I'm learning English at school
(both help me understand Dutch)
I understand a very little bit of Spanish, Italian and Japanese

GnomeThief

Apr 9, 2009
English is the only language I'm fluent in. I've taken two years of Spanish and can communicate about as well as a two year old in that language. Every time I hear spoken Spanish it seems like it's moving way too fast and I can never keep up. And I can't roll my "rr"s either.