How many languages do you know?

Lucia di Lammermore

Feb 8, 2009
One, but trying to learn 2 more. I speak English (my native language), and I'm taking Chinese in school (for about a year now). I'm trying to learn Japanese by watching a crapload of anime, but so far that hasn't been working out so well.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
Well there's English, I can speak German quite well and I have a smattering of Spanish, French, Latin and Welsh.

Don't ask about the last one...

Bonzow

May 9, 2009
Norwegian (which makes me able to comunicate with swedish and danish people as well)
English
German
Some Italian
Around 50 words in portoguese

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Fluent English, I'm conversational in Japanese (I'm much better at speaking it than writing it. I have a lot of trouble remembering kanji.) because I took it in high school for four years.

I'm in the process of learning German and French on my own.

Lucia di Lammermore said:
One, but trying to learn 2 more. I speak English (my native language), and I'm taking Chinese in school (for about a year now). I'm trying to learn Japanese by watching a crapload of anime, but so far that hasn't been working out so well.
Not to jump in (but to totally jump in), trying to learn proper structure and all from anime isn't really possible because in anime, they use a lot of informal forms and structuring, not to mention speaking patterns and slang.

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
Abedeus said:
hippykiller said:
Polish

oh yeah i can speak in all of them.
Prove it.

I speak Polish, English, Spanish and I used to speak German, but I thank God I remember almost nothing. I can also communicate with people south of the border (Czech and Slovakia) and other post-communistic countries. My parents also wanted me to learn Russian, but... ugh, I hate their alphabet. I mean, I know how to read 70-80% of the words, but I would still have to learn what they mean ;d

Polish- Jest to dobry mało, by was?

German- muss ich tun für alle Sprachen?

Hebrew- קניתי מקלדת לישראל לכן יכולתי להדפיס בעברית

Dutch- Bijna gedaan met deze onzin.

Irish- anois tá me iomlán.

so are you happy now? and if you are wondering how i am typing all of it, i bought keyboards for different keyboards on eBay so i could type it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
hippykiller said:
Abedeus said:
hippykiller said:
Polish

Prove it.

I speak Polish, English, Spanish and I used to speak German, but I thank God I remember almost nothing. I can also communicate with people south of the border (Czech and Slovakia) and other post-communistic countries. My parents also wanted me to learn Russian, but... ugh, I hate their alphabet. I mean, I know how to read 70-80% of the words, but I would still have to learn what they mean ;d

so are you happy now? and if you are wondering how i am typing all of it, i bought keyboards for different keyboards on eBay so i could type it.
You said "Is this good little, because of you?". This makes VERY little sense at all. And in the German version, it also doesn't make much sense, although it is better than Polish one. "Must I talk enough for all" or "Must I talk all enough for". You didn't say "Muss Ich fur dich sprachen". Yeah, that's kinda lame that you have to remember about this mich/dich/sich/unser/unsere or something like that.

Anyway, Polish one is like "I promise your, answer premium hundred percent!".

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
Abedeus said:
hippykiller said:
Abedeus said:
hippykiller said:
Polish

Prove it.

You said "Is this good little, because of you?". This makes VERY little sense at all. And in the German version, it also doesn't make much sense, although it is better than Polish one. "Must I talk enough for all" or "Must I talk all enough for". You didn't say "Muss Ich fur dich sprachen". Yeah, that's kinda lame that you have to remember about this mich/dich/sich/unser/unsere or something like that.

Anyway, Polish one is like "I promise your, answer premium hundred percent!".
ah well i tried my best. i suppose i better go and take more classes.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
traceur_ said:
English and Australian.
That's one more than me, I only speak Australian. Wait, Hold that thought. I also speak silence (Silence is the universal similarity between languages(I believe it to be the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (Think bacterium)))

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Blue22 said:
GrinningManiac said:
Mi Hablar un POCO Espana

Poque, para cuatro semanas, estuve en Perú con mi diez-y-ocho amigos. Muy divertido!

Pero mi Espana is muy malo

I also speak English as a native

An' Scots. Aye, it'sit's ooon langwage ye ken? I bat ye didnae ken that, y'wee Ned
Scottish doesn't count. It's just a lazy English....sorta.
Who the hell are you? I've seen that name before!

Say...you're that jerk from STEAM! I've played LOADS with you!

Oh wait...you're my best friend

Whoops

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
I am in the process of learning Spanish. I expect to be conversational within the next year.

I have studied French, German, and Japanese, but I don't know nearly enough of any of them to say I "speak" them.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Biosophilogical said:
traceur_ said:
English and Australian.
That's one more than me, I only speak Australian. Wait, Hold that thought. I also speak silence (Silence is the universal similarity between languages(I believe it to be the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (Think bacterium)))
nevar, what are bacteria? Germs! So the original language is German
HAWHAW
:p

I am a native german speaker
my second language is english
i know a little bit of french
together with my 7 years of latin i still can make sense out of simple french sentences and know a little bit to communicate
I learned a few words and phrases in turkish polish and russian (mostly curses of course)
and i am still learning Irish
(if some of the other Irish-speakers here want to mail me a few helpful expressions, I'd be glad, especially the stuff that the classes usually don't teach ;) )