How Many of Your Favourite Films Pass "the Bechdel Test"?

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
Hello The Escapist. I hope you're well. I love films dudes, but this plays into something I've been thinking about for a while now. I'm just wondering how many of our favourite films pass what's called "the Bechdel test."

It's pretty straight forward:
1) To pass, the film must have more than two female characters that have names
2) These two female characters must talk to each other
3) They must talk to each other about something other than a man/men

Lemmie share my own top 10:

Blade Runner: No
Silence of the Lambs: Yes (Starling and her friend from time to time)
Alien: Yes (Ripley and Lambert discuss escaping)
The Exorcist: Yes
Reservoir Dogs: No
The Terminator: No
Thelma & Louise: Yes (definitely)
The Dark Knight: No
Taxi Driver: No
Shawshank Redemption: No

How about yours?

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Serenity passes. And I just did a quick jog through my memory, but it seems to be the ONLY movie I've watched that passes.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I don't think Princess Mononoke passes. It's been a long time since I've seen it so I might be forgetting something. But from what I remember in it, there are a lot of women in it who are depicted as strong and capable, but they mostly talk about how useless the men are.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Watchmen: Yes
Avengers:I don't think so
All James Bonds:Sometimes they insult each other in a fight scene or something, or Judi Dench as M will talk to Money Penny, on the whole No though
Hanna: Yes, that film is awesome!
All Harry Potters: Yes
Xmen films: Yes, quite sure
Mission Impossible 4: Don't think so
Star trek films: Yeehhh, no girly gossip on the bridge please!

That's about it, not my favourite films, just ones I happen to think of first.

EDIT: Jedi Dench... lol

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I like this game. I'm gonna try it with five of my favs, in no particular order.
The Blues Brothers: Hell no
Stripes: Hell no
Superman 2: Nope
Star Trek 2: Geez, this is getting depressing
Aliens: Did Ripley and Vasquez even say hi to each other.

I'm just gonna stop now.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'm wracking my brain over Gladiator, but I don't think Lucilla talks to anyone but her father/brother/son/Maximus... Boo. Unless the whole "People of Rome" speech at the end counts.... No?

Shame on you, Mr. Scott. Seems like few of your movies pass the test.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
I'm wracking my brain over Gladiator, but I don't think Lucilla talks to anyone but her father/brother/son/Maximus... Boo. Unless the whole "People of Rome" speech at the end counts.... No?

Just because it isn't Bechdel-approved doesn't mean it's not a good or even great movie. The Thing, for example, is an amazing movie, and I don't recall there being a single woman in the entire movie.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
The Shape of Things to Come: Made in the 30's, so give it some extra points for having a very strong female character for it's time in the form of the Chief's wife. I say that without a hint of irony.

The Rambo films: There were broads in those?

Brazil: Nope. Plenty of females, but they don't seem to interact in any way with eachother.

A boy and his dog: HAHAHAHAHA!! But seriously, don't watch this one with your girlfriend.

Falling Down: Bitches gonna die.

Sinbad films: Eye candy with a few lines.

Jason and the argonauts: I don't think it had any women in it.

Forbidden Planet: One. One girl. In the entire film.

Star Trek films: Too manly for girly crap.

The circus of Dr. Lao: I think so.

The Thing: Maybe some of the dogs were female?

Platoon: Like Star Trek, too manly.

Evil Dead 2: Yeah man! The mother/corpse talks to the daughter. It counts.

So out of all my favourite films, it seems the Evil Dead is truly the most friendly to women.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Scrustle said:
I don't think Princess Mononoke passes. It's been a long time since I've seen it so I might be forgetting something. But from what I remember in it, there are a lot of women in it who are depicted as strong and capable, but they mostly talk about how useless the men are.
I haven't seen it in a while either but I believe in Princess Mononoke, the two female leads were always yelling at each other about the environment and war, so technically that's something that isn't necessarily a man, although a man was the main character, I think they had a tendency to ignore him when they were too busy fighting.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Saladfork said:
IndomitableSam said:

Just because it isn't Bechdel-approved doesn't mean it's not a good or even great movie. The Thing, for example, is an amazing movie, and I don't recall there being a single woman in the entire movie.
It's still my favourite movie, doesn't mean I dislike it now. And it doesn't mean I like Ridley Scott any less - he does make good movies. It's just an interesting thing to consider with most movies, and it doesn't seem that many pass the test.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Umm, who cares? What does the Bechdel-test prove? In fact, let's have the Hodor-test in which you must have talking animals. It's equally irrelevant.

Edit: That being said, I'd reckon some of my favorite movies pass the test, some doesn't. Don't really care.
TVtropes describes it as a "litmus test for female presence in movies and TV". I think the point might be to expose how male-centric a lot of mainstream media is, but I don't know if that's the actual official purpose.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Umm, who cares? What does the Bechdel-test prove? In fact, let's have the Hodor-test in which you must have talking animals. It's equally irrelevant.

Edit: That being said, I'd reckon some of my favorite movies pass the test, some doesn't. Don't really care.
I bet you're going to get a lot of hate for saying that, but I agree to an extent. This test is treated as some kind of litmus test as to whether a film is sexist or not, but it's nothing of the sort. All it takes to pass the test is for one female character to say something like "nice weather today, isn't it?" to another. It in no way shows anything about how women are treated in the film. Like with my example, it doesn't seem to pass the test yet it's not sexist at all. In fact it's quite the opposite.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Guys, I don't think it's trying to prove anything, at least in a serious manner.

And I just realized... I don't think Lord of the Rings passes this XD

lizabeth19

Nov 30, 2010
Waterbending, because of the four following perversions of said power. (1) All you need to do to have a good time if you're a waterbender is to hop into a bathtub. (2) If you were a good enough bloodbender, you'd never have to worry about a male partner...ahem, starting the race too early. (3) You can make ice whenever and where-ever you want. (4) If something went pear-shaped in the boudoir, you wouldn't have to make an akward trip to the emergancy room.

Waterbending- the most useful Bending style in the bedroom.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Casablanca: No
Reservoir Dogs: No
Alien: Debatable. Ripley and Lambert, to the best of my recollection, only talk as part of a group. Oh, and Lambert hits Ripley. Yay?
Seven Samurai: No
Escape from New York: No

Also do I score bonus points for Reservoir Dogs? It only has one onscreen female, who has no lines and then gets killed.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I didn't think of it as a Litmus test, just thought it was a fun game to play. Does that make me super sexist?