How many people are here from /v/?

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
OlasDAlmighty said:
Reed Spacer said:
What's /v/?
Seconded, could somebody explain what we're talking about here? And yes I tried Googling it to no avail.
It's 4chan's video game board. It's content is rather self explanatory.

I've only visited /v/ once or twice, but I didn't care much for it.
I visit /tg/ about every day now, but I rarely post. I don't play 40k or DnD; I just participate in the fun threads.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Cecilo said:
...or anything ever written, touched or even seen by Matt Ward. He is quite literally Satan to some of the more.. enthusiastic war gaming players.
To be fair to /v/, Matt Ward is if not actually Satan, then certainly one of his minions.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Weaver said:
Part of being a 40k player is that you have to completely flip your shit everytime they release a new codex.
Its in the unofficial Rulebook. Rule 9, Section 15, Paragraph 2.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SweetShark said:
Cecilo said:
SweetShark said:
gigastar said:
Ive been lurking on /tg/ not too long ago just to see them rage about the new 40k codexes.

I also took a look at /d/ out of curiousity. Im not sure what i saw there. Im sure i dont want to know what i saw there.
What happened with the 40k codexes?
God help you if it is a Space Marine codex, or anything ever written, touched or even seen by Matt Ward. He is quite literally Satan to some of the more.. enthusiastic war gaming players.
Come on, it can't be THAT bad.
What major change can make a whole fanbase believe a person is Diablo?
I suggest you do some research on what Cruddace did to 5th Edition Tyranids. And what Ward did to the Ultramarines. And the Grey Knights. And the Sisters of Battle. And the Chaos Daemons in 7th ED Warhammer Fantasy.

/tg/ are an angry bunch. With shit like that going on its not hard to see why.

Speaking of Grey Knights, the new Codex: Inquisition is due this month. Should be alot of fun.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
In one such story, he had a squad of Grey Knights slaughter an innocent group of Sisters, in order to coat the Marine coats in Sisters blood to ward off Demonic Possession... which Grey Knights do naturally anyways.
Good thing there isn't a Chaos God powered by blood and slaughter or anything.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
SweetShark said:
Well, here's some tidbits. I don't even play the tabletop game, but I can see where fans would rage at how he treats the fluff:

(Yep, that actually happened. Google "Gehenna campaign" if you're curious)​

Those are just a few examples. I haven't even talked about the Dreadknights...

Back on-topic, I have never been on /v/ or any other part of 4chan for that matter. I'm too scared to do so based on the stories I've heard.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Asclepion said:
In one such story, he had a squad of Grey Knights slaughter an innocent group of Sisters, in order to coat the Marine coats in Sisters blood to ward off Demonic Possession... which Grey Knights do naturally anyways.
Good thing there isn't a Chaos God powered by blood and slaughter or anything.
You are aware that in its original form, Warhammer and Warhammer 40K were grimdark to such a extreme to be in itself parodies. Its a somewhat "recent" change, sorta 3rd Edition onward that everything suddenly became serious although some would argue it started in 2nd Edition already. The point is, the universe itself cant decide whether it wants to be taken seriously, or be parody and satire. Hence you get a whole lot of fluff and lore which contradicts itself, writers such as Ward and C.S. Goto havent helped this in any way. Which is pretty much why they are hated..well that and Ward fucks up the Codex relentlessly to turn the tabletop itself into shit.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Cecilo said:
SweetShark said:
gigastar said:
Ive been lurking on /tg/ not too long ago just to see them rage about the new 40k codexes.

I also took a look at /d/ out of curiousity. Im not sure what i saw there. Im sure i dont want to know what i saw there.
What happened with the 40k codexes?
God help you if it is a Space Marine codex, or anything ever written, touched or even seen by Matt Ward. He is quite literally Satan to some of the more.. enthusiastic war gaming players.
Not played TT for over a decade now (I just read the novels and get the occasional Forge World miniture to paint) but the steadily declining quality of the Codexes is apparent, both from a technical and fluff standpoint. Rules are often so badly thought out or badly expressed/written that FAQs need to be released within days of the Codex comes out, imbalances are a standard feature. Sometimes individual units or wargear and sometimes even whole races/armies, certain armies are infamous for this like the Grey Knights or the Blood Angels.

The fluff got worse and worse as well, the Space Wolves for instance now have Wolfmasters wearing wolf armour, armed with wolfguns and wolfaxes riding into battle on deep striking wolves (to make them OP, gotta have that) that are dropped off by wolfcarrier gunships.

So whilst there is always nerd rage a lot of the flak the codexes are getting is justified.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
/v/ is a love-hate relationship for me...well most of the time I hate it, but can't help it. I've been spending more time on /vg/ because of it, especially these days with the consoles launches; the board has gone full retard with "IT'S OVER, [X] IS FINISHED"

Most of the time it's a pit of angry quips, short sighted criticism or just blatant, common shitposting. It wouldn't annoy me as much if it didn't start to actually pervade through the rest of the internet. Before that, /v/ was more of a permament "counter game culture" thing (not a big emphasis on "culture" though) which at least had the merit of not falling in for a lot of the common hype you see for games in the mass media these days.
But after touting some of the same bullshit jokes, they started to become facts for some people. Worse is that now these kind of stupid way or arguing have started to pervade every other part of the internet, and that gives them the feeling that they're actually right.

But sometimes, /v/ does something beautiful, and when it does, that makes all the shitposting worth...almost

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Basically, imagine if Bob Chipman wrote the reviews for every Nintendo product given to The Escapist, and you get an idea of what Matt Ward does with the Space Marines.
That is the single best analogy I have heard concerning Matt Ward. You deserve a medal.

The Escapist has a terrible rep on the internet because our mods actually do shit, and you're not allowed to call someone a "fucking ******" for disagreeing with you, or tell someone to kill themselves for liking a different game. It's part of the reason I love being here.
To be honest I value 4Chan because it is a place where you can spew all the vitriol you want, and when the thread 404s it's gone forever. It takes itself a lot less seriously than most of the internet as well. The opposite is true of the Escapist, which is why the friction exists. Here Yahtzee changed a joke because it might offend someone. Even though it was just a joke that made sense in context. Conversely, if someone has a problem with a joke on /v/ they're free to engage in verbal fisticuffs for hours on end; throwing as much profanity and insulting dialogue as one wants. But a full scale redaction will never be found. It's a place where people can actually have fucking opinions. Yes that makes it susceptible to trolls, but anyone with half a brain knows how to spot a troll these days. And seriously, if being called a "fucking ******" by some douchebag anon seriously emotionally effects you then you may want to take a long hard look at your life.

OT: Yeah I go to /v/ frequently. I like the chaos.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
SweetShark said:
To elaborate on Matt Ward and how he ruined codexes/armies...

Basically he made ALL space marine chapters aspire to be like the Ultramarines, who are full of special snowflakes characters who are each worth an entire chapter of other marines and are the best at what they do (so they got the best librarian ever, the best tank commander ever, the best scout sergeant ever, the best chapter master ever, etc...)

Chapters like Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Black Templars were portrayed as crazy aberrant chapters who are fortunately slowly dwindling (yup even the wolves!) and gradually being replaced the chapters who follow the true teachings of roboute guilliman.

Whilst as a Blood Angel player I can (black)rage at how my army got turned to pure cheesiness with flying landraiders and flying librarian dreadnoughts armed with blood talons...

....none rage more amongst space marine players then former ultramarine players who have seen their favored chapter being lamed into submission as the epitome of space marine mary sueness.

But poor, poor, poor sisters of battle... I'm not even talking about the fluff but as an army they got butchered with a massive loss of units that switched over to the grey knights and inquisition army (so no more allied ig tanks or inquisitorial stormtroopers to fill in the gaps the sob dont have) yet no new sob models or vehicles to replace their losses. Rule wise their faith generation system is also borked, so playing sisters of battle in tabletop is an exercise for the masochist.

Oh hang on what was the OP again? Oh right. Yeah I browse /v and /tg from time to time when mood strikes me but wouldn't really call myself "from v", more like a casual user.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
It's not that I personally mind the name-calling, but it kills the chances of discussion value and wastes everyone's time. Now instead of discussing the topic, people and throwing around the average 4chan exchange:

Poster 1: "opinion"
Poster 2: You suck you fag, kill yourself kthxbye
Poster 1: You mad bro?
Poster 2: Suck my cock
Poster 1: Yeah, he mad
Poster 3: he totally mad

That doesn't exactly provide discussion material.
That's just strawmanning it. Though I admit a lot of posts go that way. (About 35%) That's single posts. It doesn't kill the thread.

In my experience it goes like this.

Poster 1: "Opinion"
Poster 2: "Counter-opinion" (You stupid ******)
Poster 3: "Agrees with poster 1"
Poster 4: "Agrees partially with poster 1, derides poster 2" (You basement dwelling autist.)
Poster 1: "Derides poster 2, asks poster 3 irrelevant question" Etc.

Insults are often a book-end. Not the whole thing. Typically "You mad" is only deployed when the person just responds without an argument. (like Contanza or something) Though /v/ would be a lot better if Mootles put Always back on ;-;...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm about a decade too old for that shit, essentially this is one of the big three internet tribes: 4chan, Goons, /v/
Anything despicable that was ever concocted by the internet they came up with first, but trolls having their own hobble is not something I mind problem is decent human beings enter their den out of curiosity and then never return, so the blob of awful just keeps growing.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I browse it frequently during classes, it´s kind of like going to the zoo, but instead of animals I´m watching people argue about really stupid things.
I would also like to mention how funny it is that on a board dedicated to video games, everyone hates video games.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
So after I saw all the answer I got for the Warhammer 40k game, I understand the situation it is similar with characters in My little Pony cartoon:

Mary Sue the sh*t of characters someone really like. In this case the Space Marines!!! XD
But Matt Ward had the opportunity to make it an official Mary Sue.
Am I right?

Btw, I love Grey Knights without knowing this.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The Escapist has a terrible rep on the internet because our mods actually do shit, and you're not allowed to call someone a "fucking ******" for disagreeing with you, or tell someone to kill themselves for liking a different game. It's part of the reason I love being here.
Oh? I've never seen mention of the mods actually.
The mods aren't too bad here, but I don't consider them that great either.

SweetShark said:
So after I saw all the answer I got for the Warhammer 40k game, I understand the situation it is similar with characters in My little Pony cartoon:

Mary Sue the sh*t of characters someone really like. In this case the Space Marines!!! XD
But Matt Ward had the opportunity to make it an official Mary Sue.
Am I right?

Btw, I love Grey Knights without knowing this.
Just a small correction, it's the Ultra Marines. Not the Space Marines in general.

According to Matt Ward the Ultra Marines are super-special-cool-kids on the block.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I'm more /g/ and /tg/ myself but I go on /v/ occasionally, it's OK but full of semi playful raeg.

Also I don't go on /pol/ very often due to honestly low entertainment value but what they did to the Critical Miss strip was priceless.

The Escapist has a terrible rep on the internet because our mods actually do shit, and you're not allowed to call someone a "fucking ******" for disagreeing with you, or tell someone to kill themselves for liking a different game.
No that's not it, if I said 'lighthouse' might that give you a hint?

Also as a general comment no one really says 'you mad' any more, which would tend to make me think you barely go there and probably shouldn't be commenting on what it's like.