How much do you tip?

Wapox

Feb 4, 2010
If I'm at a restaurant I usually tip 15-20% whatever is closest to the nearest whole bill.
otherwise I don't tip. I live in Denmark, where people are either too rich for it to matter or too poor to care what the tip is...

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Well, as far as American custom goes, 15-20 percent is the usual tip for average service. Most pizza places add an additional fee for delivery to your bill, so I'd say that driver was just an ungrateful ass.
Boundless Apathy said:
What is the actual deal with tipping i mean here in Britain they get paid a wage to do that job. i've heard its something like they get paid a pittance and have to live of off tips to survive thus promoting good service to get better tips?
Most waiters I know get paid about $2.50-$5.00 hourly while minimum wage here is about $7.50ish. The idea is that most people tip, so the restaurants don't have to pay them as much and they can actually come out ahead on a given night if they're good at their job and make a lot in tips. So ya, tips promote good service. Always tip your pizza guy well, and they'll remember you and treat you right. Same goes for waiters.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Boundless Apathy said:
Hafrael said:
In the US restaurant workers can be, and are payed below minimum wage. If they were payed minimum wage, you would just have to line up at the counter and get handed your food like at McDonalds. There would be no incentive to do more.
Wouldn't it is your job either go and put the food out there or you get fired be enough of an incentive... always has been here.
Why would you get fired? You're still doing your job.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Generally I tip 20%, tipping a minimum of $1 (for meals that are $5 or less).

As for your case with the pizza guy, you certainly tipped him enough. It may even be the case that he felt uncomfortable taking such a large tip, but you didn't short him on the tip by a long shot.

dygros

Jan 7, 2011
In restaurants, the standard 10% whilst rounding up to the nearest pound. I've always thought this to be correct. Take-outs and taxis, it's never occurred to me. Of course if someone does something extraordinary then fine I'll tip them more (or in the case of a taxi driver actually tip them)

Sep 19, 2008
Hafrael said:
Boundless Apathy said:
Hafrael said:
In the US restaurant workers can be, and are payed below minimum wage. If they were payed minimum wage, you would just have to line up at the counter and get handed your food like at McDonalds. There would be no incentive to do more.
Wouldn't it is your job either go and put the food out there or you get fired be enough of an incentive... always has been here.
well isn't part of being a waiter/waitress waiting the tables... don't get me wrong if that's what they actually earn and the service is good i would tip it just seems kinda broken especially if the meal is the same price as other areas where you wouldn't tip.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I do not tip. I am not giving someone more money for something that they are already paid to do.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Boundless Apathy said:
Hafrael said:
Boundless Apathy said:
Hafrael said:
well isn't part of being a waiter/waitress waiting the tables... don't get me wrong if that's what they actually earn and the service is good i would tip it just seems kinda broken especially if the meal is the same price as other areas where you wouldn't tip.
Well you pay for the food, then tip for the service.

The waiters and busboys get paid for the service they render through your tip. (READ: Bringing you food, wiping down your table, making sure you have everything you want)

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
wc alligator said:
Tipping has become normal in my country apparently, but I don't really go to establishments where it's seen as normal. I think it's pretty stupid in general though.
Mr. Pink said it best.
He's wrong, they aren't paid minimum wage, in diners I believe you'd make 2-4 dollars on salary, plus the case he gives is one I would tip higher, yes I will sit here for an hour and only order one $2 item, he's a dick.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Max is $5. I don't care about the %%s or whatever. If I sit down and have a glass of water and I can't find a reason to hate my waiter, they get $5. If i order enough food for four people and I can't find a reason to hate my waiter, they still get $5. It's not like the waiter does more work if you order more expensive food.

If tipping the chef was a standard practice, we'd be talking a different story. But waiters get enough money out of other people, I don't care to join them. Also I wish I could make $5 from 6 people in an hour on top of making (a little) hourly pay.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Working off of tips I tend to tip 15% and more if I like the server or she hits on me. I am kind of ashamed of the latter.

wc alligator said:
Tipping has become normal in my country apparently, but I don't really go to establishments where it's seen as normal. I think it's pretty stupid in general though.
Mr. Pink said it best.
I actually spoke to the district manager at my work place and we got into this conversation. It is actually cheaper for every table to tip two or three dollars than none at all. The restaurant can lower its prices if the guests are tipping even 5-10 percent of the bill, since the restaurant doesn't have to pay the servers as much.

Sep 19, 2008
Hafrael said:
Well you pay for the food, then tip for the service.

The waiters and busboys get paid for the service they render through your tip. (READ: Bringing you food, wiping down your table, making sure you have everything you want)
.... i honestly have no answer sounds broken especially if they charge the same but if it works for you i guess it works.

Iffypop

Apr 2, 2008
Hey, waiters and delivery men get paid to do a job. I don't get a tip every time I compile a program!

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
Divide by ten, multiply by 2 to 3. That's my basic staple.

Then I take environment into consideration. If I'm at a restaurant and it's packed and the waiter is being arsed by assholes, I tend to go to the upper-end of the tip scale. If I order a couple of pizzas for some friends of mine on a snowy New Years Eve, the delivery guy gets a handsome tip. I tend to take the person who's receiving the tip into account along with their situation. I don't know how many jobs I've had, but it definitely gives you perspective (if you're shallow enough to need it).

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...delivery? I've never actually ordered delivery at home... I used to get chinese food delivered to my barracks in Germany and I'd tip 10-20%, whatever came closest to a round number.

At restaurants in the states, it really depends on the quality of service rendered to me. Nothing if it was insultingly bad, 10% if it was merely poor, 15 to 20% for good or great service (of course this is all taking into account how busy the poor servers are... sometimes I'll notice one waiter/waitress servicing an entire floor and still maintaining their disposition. I tend to tip well no matter how long it takes in that case).

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
rancher of monsters said:
So I recently got delivery from Pizza Hut and went to pay the driver. The meal was about 23 dollars. I gave him fourty and asked for ten back, giving him somewhere between six or seven dollars depending on the change.When I did he looked at me in a way were I couldn't tell if he was grateful for the tip or, wanted to shove the pizza box down my throat. So I was confused. I normally tip 15%, and this guy got around 30%. But I'm wondering if 15% is the average for delivery work, it might be more than eating out beacuse they actually have to drive to you. So how much do you tip Escapsit, should I feel cheap?
i'm sure it varies a bit by locality (i'm assuming US, though), but around here, $5 is typically a generous tip for pizza delivery (so your $7 should be nothing to be ashamed of). for a waiter or waitress, though i figure 15% minimum, unless the service is atrocious. if the service is really good AND the waitress is cute, i've tipped as much as 40%.