How much of a gaming snob are you?

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
sunsetspawn said:
AnarchistFish said:
Ehhhh I'm more of a music snob. Trying to hide my music elitism can be excruciating if I come across something which pisses me off.
Then you'll eventually become a gaming snob. I started out as more of a music snob because music is easy to understand and enjoy, comparatively. Music is a lot of math with artistic flourish.

My next snobbery was movies. It's considerably harder to quantify what makes a good movie, and music is actually a part of that. Genuine music snobs are doomed to eventually become movie snobs.
Haha I'm already slipping into that. Started watching Quentin Tarantino a lot.

sunsetspawn said:
And seriously, Protest the Hero is a bunch of fucking geniuses.
Dude have you even heard The Dillinger Escape Plan.

sunsetspawn said:
Edit to clarify. Being a snob is not being a hipster. Hipsters don't like things that are popular regardless of quality because they're douchebags with soul-patches or goatees, with ironic glasses... and maybe fedoras ;p
Agreed. I'll admit to be a music snob but the word "hipster" is used way too freely. There really aren't that many hipsters about.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
RheynbowDash said:
Ok, sorry, I'm just mildly frustrated at people that think 'consoles are for kids'. I'm a 27 year old black male from southern Mississippi. I HATE HAAAAAATE Madden/FIFA and yes, I look down my nose at anyone that pays EA $60 every year one comes out. I love Call of Duty, (except for Black Ops). Psychonauts is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm playing Borderlands for the 4th time because I love it so much. Bottom line, there is a certain definition of "gamer" that REAL gamers tend to adhere to. No one that only plays Angry Birds is a gamer. Spending 72 straight hours on Farmville/Cityville/Shitville doesn't make you a gamer. Beat the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES without dying. THEN you're a gamer. Rack up 120 stars in Super Mario 64. Then you can talk to me about what being a gamer is. Beat Uncharted 1, 2, AND 3 on Crushing difficulty. Then you can talk to me about what being a gamer truly is.
I'm sorry, but it really bothers me when people start talking about what a "real gamer" is. That's like saying you have to read x books to be a real reader, or watch x movies to be a movie watcher, or have been to x places to be a traveller, or have seen x paintings in real-life to be an appreciator of art. Games are many things, meaning gamers are also many things.

These days, a game about a fat, Italian plumber hopping down a magical tube into a campy world of evil turtles to save a magical princess from the most evil turtle of all would not be a "hardcore" game. It's only considered hardcore because it's old and classic, and the people who are setting the standard of what "hardcore" is grew up with it so they have to find some way to justify having played and enjoyed it.

So just stop acting like you're the gatekeeper of gaming, because people are going to play whatever games they want, and if you're going to get bent out of shape about what they call themselves then I'm afraid the only person who will be giving shits about it is you.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I tend to avoid sports games, JRPGs, and military shooters.

Though there exceptions.

I quite enjoy the odd racing game and SSX.
I like Pokemon and sometimes Final Fantasy.
Meh.. I kinda like CoD.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Lilani said:
Who said I was the "gatekeeper" of gaming? Not me. And you're exactly right, no one gives two shits about it but me. But in all honesty, thats the only person's opinion that matters to me. All I did was express my frustration at people that call themselves "gamers" but wouldn't know a decent game if it snuck up behind them and snapped their neck.

My capcha is exactly what I'm gonna be after writing this post: gone fishing

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Lady Lucky said:
I'm particularly snobby towards people who like "Pro Bass Fishing".
Who the f*ck made that a game! Honestly!
I'm sure it has many dedicated fans, the same with any other sport.

Aug 20, 2011
Hugely snobby. Sorry, internets. I watch Jon Blow lectures, I've written enough to fill a novel praising Dark Souls, I think Bethesda, Rockstar, and Valve are all "okay"...

I actually don't hate CoD as much as some people. It's just thoroughly mediocre. Well, the multiplayer at least; single player is an abomination.

Oh, and people who play casual games, sports games, and most Wii games are sub-human.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I hate the thirteen-year-old boys who think they know about war, death, weapons, and combat because they can quickscope. By that logic, playing Skyrim should give me the ability to shoot fire out of my hands.

Hate anyone who measures the quality of a game based solely upon its graphics. So, there's CoD, Crysis, and Skyrim -- and everything else is shit? Say what with the what, now?

I don't get the hype around Halo. I don't hate it, I just didn't think what I played of it was all that and a bag of chips.

Generally I don't consider getting a game that has a less-than-good Metacritic rating.

I won't play first person games on console. Aim with a stick?

Hate those who do any of the following in multiplayer:
Rage quit over literally nothing;
Go AFK at the most hectic moment;
Trash-talk other players;
Team-kill or other grief play;
Run off alone and die to overwhelming enemy force, repeatedly, like that concrete wall is gonna crack if he just bashes his skull into it enough times;
Pipe what I will charitably call "music" through the mike channel;
Loudly proclaim that he knows the sole path to victory in the current scenario, attempt to boss everyone into doing things his way, then throw a fit when nobody does what he says.

In other words, I hate at least 80% of people in multiplayer.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
While I do not believe I am a "videogame snob", I am not really a sport game - gamer. I enjoy Fifa, but have never been very into other sports games. The only exception to this is for oddity theme'd sports games, like BloodBowl, Mutant League Hockey, etc.

I also have little love lost on those who cannot see the appeal of genre's they don't personally play. I may not play/overly enjoy sports games, but I can discuss and appreciate the advances/entertainment one COULD get from those games, and I think that needs to be applied by everyone.

Also, and this is just a personal thing, I never understood the minecraft appeal for the longest time, at least until I played it.. now I have a book of graph paper trying to figure out how to build a wicked castle before I start in-game lol.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
People who call themselves gamers annoy me.

I am happy they mentioned it in the Expo panels actually. We don't refer to ourselves as "movie watchers" or "book readers", so creating a community for playing games is just nonsensical to me. As is singling people out because of it.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I admit to disliking point and click adventure games. I used to play them as a kid when I would play any game I could get my hand on and adored KQ6, but nowadays I find them So. Bloody. BORING! I highly respect them but I go out of my way to avoid them now

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Johnny Impact said:
I hate the thirteen-year-old boys who think they know about war, death, weapons, and combat because they can quickscope. By that logic, playing Skyrim should give me the ability to shoot fire out of my hands.
Someone needs to put 'Dispatches' in the school curriculum, that'd put a stop to that.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I wanted to say I am, but I actually had fun with Kane and Lynch 2--could have much better, but at least I wasn't playing as another super-capiable, super-handsome, super-short-brown-hair douche bag.
Playing as two dirty old psychopaths, who flip out when things start going wrong is a refreshing change. I also played it with a couple friends and we talked the whole way through it.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I forgot that I also don't do sports games.

I'm not a fan of sports in real life, so the idea of playing a game based on something I already don't like is just meh.

Also, I play games to escape from reality, as in, to do things reality doesn't allow. I would never play a game about hitting a ball with a fancy stick when I can play a game about visiting an alien planet and murdering its mutated inhabitants with a selection of ridiculous weaponry.

The only sports game I liked was Mutant League Football, which was only loosely about football, and which totally needs a remake.

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
I definitely think, as someone who pretty much only plays single player games, I look down on people who pretty much only play multi-player/non-story games.

Wayne Bridges

Mar 18, 2011
I will not play sports games at all. I sit here thinking, "What changes could they possible make next?" and then go and read/game/do something else. There's also console-only games i don't play unless i heard that they're good from more than 20 people. Also, Console-ports suckdicate i mean Syndicate (Thanks EA)and Tom Clancy's Future soldier.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I tend to avoid sports games but only because they are more fun to play in real life and the people you end up playing against are insanely competitive. I've seen people literally smash their console to pieces because the computer scored a goal against them on PES...it's just sad.

I'm embarrased i'm a gamer at all. I look at some of the whiny pathetic bastards on this website and despise myself a little more for associating in any way, shape or form with them...let alone allow myself to be moderated by them.

I think i've just talked myself into leaving again :p