How OCD are you about your character's appearance?

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
Self explanatory title. I'm beyond OCD when it comes to this with certain games. In ACIV: Black Flag for example, I remember going in and out from the cabin for atleast 15 minutes just changing outfit unable to decide on something to wear.
In Dragon Age II, there was that one thing that kept me going, I just wanted to see Hawke in that badass armor/set of robes he had on in the CGI trailer.
In Fallout 3 I reloaded my save ~5 times to finally be able to kill Evans King, take his Merc Troublemaker outfit and not upset the city.

Captcha: Pie are squared
Aren't there squared watermelons in Japan?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Disturbingly so. If a game has a character editor I am guaranteed to spend at least an hour tinkering with it to get my character just right, since most of the time you can't change it after. Even in the extremely limited avatar generator in Fire Emblem Awakening I was at it for a while. City of Heroes, World of Warcraft and The Old Republic doubly so. There was even a character generator in a Yu Gi Oh game I played once that had to have at least 100 outfits and hairstyles combined with facial structure along with skin and hair colour. Because you've got to look just right when you're playing card games to save the world from Cthulu...

And yes there are square watermelons in Japan.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
As a rule, not that fussed. For games with character creators, like Skyrim, Fallout or Mass Effect I spend very little time messing around with them. As a rule, I just cycle major features - hair style, beard style, eye colour, that kind of thing - until they're about what I want and then tend to leave the rest. As for games that give characters multiple costumes to pick from, like the Assassin's Creed series, I just quickly take a look at all the ones I have and pick the one I like the best but it never takes me that long. I dunno, it's just not a feature I'm terribly bothered about. It's neat to have but I don't mess about with them much.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Games where the character's face is on camera a lot I'll usually spend an unnecessary amount of time editing it. And I'll admit I spend a lot of time playing dress up when clothing has no impact on gameplay.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I can spend an unhealthy amount of time editing my character, but I'm not going to choose one piece of armor over another because it's prettier. DEF + all the way yo.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It tends to be really cool when I can design a game character to be like one of my own personal creations that I've spent work on and then play the character as MY character would be like. For instance, my SWTOR character - the Sith Assassin - is based upon a girl I use at a couple of forums, a stoic but amusing sort of girl who has no qualms against shedding blood. Granted, that's a staple for the Sith, but I play her as neither too good nor too evil on purpose.

Rayne360

Dec 28, 2013
Well in MMO's that don't have a way to customize your character after its created I pretty much spend a good 2hrs getting everything just right.

I'm on Second Life as well and pretty much can spend upwards of 7hrs designing my avatar.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Are you asking people if they are Obsessive Compulsive Disorder about how their character looks? You do know exactly what that means, right?

Yes, I do feel like if I choose that certain hair option that I may be cursed for the rest of my life and that something terrible will happen to me. And then yes, I will think that that's silly but will have to fight against myself in order to do it anyways because what if it will actually happen?

And yes, I will probably try to fight through it and then a few minutes later once I'm halfway through the tutorial, feel like I have to delete that character and remake them because it isn't "Safe". And then I may have to go through the process all over again, all the while cursing myself for not being able to overcome my disability.

And you want to talk about reloading saves to get things right? It took me around TWO HOURS to do a single quest in Skyrim because of my OCD. It forced me to keep reloading my quicksaves because a prop wasn't in the right place or I "didn't kill that one enemy right" or "didn't trigger a certain dialogue option right". TWO. HOURS. Because of my OCD. And as I did it, I knew that what I was scared of was silly. "It's just a bug! Skyrim is full of them!" I would think to myself as I tried to fight it off. "But just one more time! I promise it'll be the last one!" And you know what? It wasn't. Two. Hours.

If you use that term, you'd better know what it means. You'd better know what it feels like to try and fight off the compulsions of it. Because it isn't "I want my character to look exactly right but if they don't whatever." it would be more like "If I use this hair with my character something terrible will happen and I can't just quit the game for a bit because I'm going to be thinking about this and worrying about it for hours!"

So, yeah. I DO get Obsessive Compulsive Disorder about stuff in games. Not how my character looks, but about other things that I know are actually not really important, but can't help OBSESSING over anyways because of my disability.

Aug 1, 2010
Depends on if it's a first or third person game.

In something like Fallout 3/NV, I really don't worry about it because I almost never see my character.

In third person however... I get a bit stupid. I've actually gone so far as to handicap my defensive capabilities in Dark Souls for no other reason than the Chester set looking cool and whatnot.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Me, well I have certain standards I like to get. But I consider myself to be somewhat sane. My friend however, spends FOREVER rolling up the perfect character. So many times we've played an MMO or some other RPG, and I guarantee he will have rerolled at least 4 times before we get to the end of the introductory missions, either a skill isn't right, it's the wrong class, or it has the wrong style of hair, or.. something.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Depends on the game. If it's not multiplayer, I'm not particularly fussed. If it's multiplayer, then I'm stupidly obsessed with my character's appearance. I spent way too much time playing the market in TF2 just so I could get my classes to all look exactly how i like them and I'd wager that I've dedicated at least a couple of hundred hours of gameplay getting my Warlock's transmog in WoW to look just the way I wanted it. That's not counting the hours I put into my Warrior, Rogue, Shaman and Monk...

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
I have spent over 2 hours creating a character... NO! You don't get it, the bridge of the nose has to be JUST RIGHT! And then there's the size, width, depth and angle of the ears, eyebrows, eyes, and mouth... I MUST TWEAK THESE! *Gasp* So many eye colors.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Really OCD. I stopped playing Assassin's Creed 4 when Connor got that stupid haircut at the end. I cringed every time my character awoke in Mass Effect 2 because they are fucking ugly in that scene from below. I didn't wear a helmet through all of Skyrim so I could see my character's face, and didn't upgrade armour unless it suited my character (with the result my Orc was in Banded armour for most of the game). I customise every colour category in Armored Core games for each part individually. Towards the middle of my Dark Souls experience I stopped trying to min-max what I wore and went for armour like Gough's and a Logan hat on one character. I regularly spend upwards of an hour creating a character. Dark Souls' character creation annoys me because it has too many redundant categories and not some categories that would be nice, and once you fuck up the skin colour you're doomed.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
I am VERY obsessed with the way I customize the appearance of my character in games that allow such thing.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am like this. If you give me mods, forget it. I will spend hours getting a good collection of mods that'll allow me to make the character I want. Currently playing this chick in Skyrim:

I've always been like this, even back when character creation was extremely limited. I guess I just loved having my own character, really. Part of the reason I spent so much time play custom characters in games like Dynasty Warriors back in the day as opposed to the more detailed pre-made characters.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
None whatsoever.

I have default Male and Female shephard.

I just chose race for my character in Skyrim.

Typical block-headed soldier in Soldier... and so on.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
Zeles said:
Chill man, OCD is often used as a way of saying quirk/habit, i'm obviously not referring to the destructive disease/disability.

@Topic: so today I tried playing ACIV again, I just couldn't. I was spending way too much inside the cabin and I just quit and played something else. After I beat the game and did all the side missions, i'd usually play after that but in ACIV I just stopped, couldn't really get anything done because I can't decide what to wear.

Also since we're on the topic of Skyrim, when I used to play the game I flip flopped multiple times between Dragon Scale and Daedric armor, and even Nightingale sometimes so I had to get all 3 just right when it comes to stats. In the end though I did just sort of decide on Daedric, but I keep the others in my inventory either way.

ryderawsome

Apr 23, 2009
Why do people say OCD instead of just obsessive? Seems kind of rude to people who actually have OCD (not that I do)

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
It would honestly vary between each game.

Currently in Pokemon X, I have my character look like the default Caleb character, but I've bought a lot of different clothes and accessories to change his appearance. I plan on dressing him up each month in accordance to the seasons that correspond with my nation (i.e. beanies, heavy jackets, and boots in the winter season; sports caps, t-shirts, and regulars shoes during the summer).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I usually pick default male #2 (never #1 because that would make me look lazy) and start playing the game.

The exception is Saints Row where I spend a couple minutes making my character look as ugly as I can and pick a voice that doesn't seem possible for that person. Burly dude? Girly voice. Good looking girl with a powerful moustache? The manliest voice possible.

So yeah... I'm probably one of the least obsessive people in this thread so far.