How OCD are you about your character's appearance?

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i love customizing my toons in games most of my budget in APB goes towards my outfits in FO3 i rolled around the waste land with a dirty prewar suit tortoiseshell glasses and a prewar hat i spent my armor money on stim packs and various drugs to offset the lack of armor

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Since games that feature character customizations are a selling point for me and influence my purchases, I think the answer is pretty obvious. I spend a lot of my gameplay creating my perfect character. I had to reload Skyrim several times during the tutorial level once you're allowed to use third-person because of silly things like the nose being too long or the eyebrows being too thin. It might be too that as a female I tend to want female characters and there just aren't enough options, or perhaps I just enjoy choosing eye colours.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I spend an unhealthy amount of time on it. Especially on choosing a male or female character. The more I can customise my character, the more time I spend on it. Fallout takes me at least an hour and a half to do my character and be happy with it. I am very nitpicky about it. Even though 90% of the time I leave the game to looking like I am looking from my character's eyes.....

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
Do you mean OCD-OCD or perfectionist? No I do not OCD over my character appearance, but I am a perfectionist about it. Having uncanny character faces or a character where something feels off happens quite a lot and I often spend time in the character edit trying to get the small details right.

Off-topic, I wish people would start using the term OCD correctly

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, I get sort of anal about that kind of thing. Not to the extent where I bother adjusting the slider for nose/eye/jaw positions or whatever, but I do usually spend about an hour or so fixating on getting just the right look only to then find out when I start playing that I hate the skin tone or something. >.>

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I can spend hours in a character creator trying to make my character. I need my RPGs to have the ability to alter your characters look afterwards because I will play a character for three hours and then notice that the eyes are not quite right, I decide I would just barely have preferred the green eyes for my character that I play in first person and hardly ever see.

So I will make a new character to replace the imperfect abomination that was my blue eyed character, it will look exactly the same but with green eyes. I will then play the exact same three hours again.

I also love using matching armour sets. However I also love min-maxing....
The worst game I remember for armour sets was kingdom of Amular because there were multiple really cool armour sets but you could only find the pieces randomly, even the faction questline armours had to be found randomly and it was really easy to miss a single armour piece which would then render the entire thing useless.

I fuss a lot about how my character looks, it's one of my favourite parts of RPGs and I spend hours on it.

MacChris1991

Mar 19, 2011
I will spend time generating a character but after my character has been made it's stats first then looks. the only exception is for when I can look really bad ass, or really dopey. The clown costume could give me infinity plus five in everything but I would still have to pass on it.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I spend hours in character customization getting my character just right. In game I usually keep a set of armor that looks cool and armor with good stats. As much as I love looking stylish in game, I need the protection most of the time.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
Well, in most cases I'm very OCD to make my character look like a well traveled Hobo. Note, there IS a difference between a Hobo and a Bum. Hobo's earn their living by doing some odd work or telling their tales as they travel. Bums are the beggars who don't do shite but sit and wait for those with too much spare change. So naturally, when I give my guy a beard and some aging with some grime, he'll be more of a Gandalf/Dumbledore and it makes sense for him to wear helmets/masks (for that extra DEF) and the like 'cuz who wants to see an ugly mug like his?

Beyond that though, I could care less. Especially with games that don't give very many options for customization, then I'll just try and make him look as disfigured as possible.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as a
King Aragorn said:
Zeles said:
Chill man, OCD is often used as a way of saying quirk/habit, i'm obviously not referring to the destructive disease/disability.
You... do realize that the acronym "OCD" stands for "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder", don't you?
And that the compulsions aren't just "quirks" or "habits"?
That it's a serious thing?
That I have? And am pissed off about it being used in this way?

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I do tend to be a bit finicky when it comes to my character's appearance but only when it comes to games with character creators. Dragon's Dogma was the only one where I managed to get my character exactly as I wanted him within one or two attempts.

Other games? It will take me anywhere from 3-5 restarts for me to be satisfied with how my character looks. All it will take sometimes is one camera angle or one bit of lighting that makes something apparent to me that will bug me to no end.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
Zeles said:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as a
King Aragorn said:
Zeles said:
Chill man, OCD is often used as a way of saying quirk/habit, i'm obviously not referring to the destructive disease/disability.
You... do realize that the acronym "OCD" stands for "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder", don't you?
And that the compulsions aren't just "quirks" or "habits"?
That it's a serious thing?
That I have? And am pissed off about it being used in this way?
Yes I do realize that but and I never suggested this was that serious. It's like me using the term ''abortion'' to describe a horrible game, or ''this post gave me cancer'' meme. I didn't mean to offend you but you're blowing it way out of proportions.
aaronobst said:
Depends, is there going to be a full faced helmet over my head?
Even though most of the time I have a helmet on my face like in Skyrim where for the most part I use a full set of Daedrc, I still somewhat obsess over it. It's just so painful when a game doesn't give you the option of adjusting looks later on. ;_;

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Extremely.

I recently started Dragon's Dogma and I spent around 2 hours on the "create-a-character" menu alone.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Often times I'm far too overly concerned with appearance, to the point where I borderline am obsessed, I regularly pass up amazing fear/weapons based on there looks alone. Prime example: Skyrim. I refuse to use the deadric or dragon plate armors since they don't look nearly as good as the Ebony Armor, despite there starts being far ahead. I also prefer the dark brotherhood outfits (with cowl on the head piece) over almost all the light armors (except maybe dragon scale armor). the other one is mass effect where I generally withhold putting on better armors (in 1) or armor pieces (in 2 and 3) because they look terrible compared to the inferior armors. thats just rpg's though. in games where outfits do not affect gameplay at all, I definitely spend a lot more time on those Like assassins creed 3, I obsessed over getting certain outfits that I spent days doing the objectives to earn them and so on. More recently Tales of Xillia where I am hunting around for the cosmetic item pieces

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
1/10 not OCD at all, will not care again.
I do a lot of RP on SL and it drives a lot of other RP'ers nuts, because she usually looks awful, but everyone says my RP skills says other way. Iunno, I guess it might be my upbringing of RP with Gmod, where everyone looked the same and their were no animations.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Maybe a little bit...
In the ESO beta, I took about half an hour while I felt like skimming through the various options.

In Skyrim, I usually took way longer than that. And sometimes I would delete/abandon a character after a couple of hours because I felt something wasn't quite right. And using a mod that let me alter my character's appearance ingame felt too much like cheating to me, even if it had no impact on the game itself.

Anthony Wells said:
I refuse to use the deadric or dragon plate armors since they don't look nearly as good as the Ebony Armor, despite there starts being far ahead.
That's because Ebony Armor is made of pure awesome.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Appearances... right, if only I'd stop at that.
Many times I scrapped save files hours into a game just because I wasn't pleased with the main character's name.

Not Gabe Newell

Jul 14, 2013
Very much so.

I've been playing a lot of Payday 2 recently, and its just been killing me. When I play a heist, I'm always expecting everyone to wear the same mask and the same armor, so we look like a professional team. However, without creating my own lobby and dictating what people wear like a tight-ass, everyone wears what they want to. This leads to a heist being done by a clown, two anime girls, and a pink Cobra Commander.

I need to get my OCD checked out.