How OCD are you about your character's appearance?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think I have spent more time in Skyrim's character customisation screen than playing it.

An exaggeration, but I did take a ridiculously long time. I guess it's a good thing that Fallout characters can't possibly look decent without mods and that Bioware are pretty good with presets, or else I'd be like it with every game.

As for armour, I always want it matching, which is irritating in a lot of games as they often have you find them separately. I like the way Dark Souls often lets you find the entire set at once. Although in Skyrim at least they normally allow them to be made or close together.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I spent three hours tweaking the little sliders in Dragon Age Origins, then I played through the first fifteen minutes of the game, decided I didn't like how the camera showed my character's face at the 3/4 angle, deleted the data, started over from scratch, repeated this process two more times and was never fully happy, but settled.

Part of that might have been an issue with Dragon Age: O's character customization though, I think I spent all of five minutes creating a character in Monster Hunter Tri.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
Most of the time I'm pretty chilled; I flick around with hairstyles and sliders etc. until I find something that looks good and then just go with it. The only exception tot his was Saint's Row IV, where I put a lot of time and effort into making the Boss look like a Jonny Rotten-eque punk, but I felt with was worth the effort simply because the look and the voice (I picked the British one) went together so very well.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
I like looking like a boss. One of the most frustrating things about the Elder Scrolls games is that none of the helmets look as cool as my head and there's no way to hide them like there is in WoW (I think, it's been a while since I've played) or Kingdoms of Amalur.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Very. Recently I began playing TERA and I spent a good 2 weeks fussing over character designs... (I hate clipping, which is common with certain weapons and hairstyles and armor).

I went with a long haired Cast Priest but didn't like that the dresses with sashes clipped through.
Then went a Cast Berserker but she looked too awkward with the massive axe on her back.
Then went Elf Lancer, but I wanted to try a blu hair purple skin look and got bored of it.
Then Human Sorcerer, but didn't like pants magician look.
Then Elin Archer, but too kiddy for me.
Then Cast Archer but whenever I auto attacked the screen would shake for a second, it's really off putting.

It goes on like this for a while.

Decided on my first main character a Gothic looking High Elf Slayer. Straight Black Hair, White Skin, Purple Eyes, Sword clips a little but not as bad as some of the other classes.

So then I tried to make an opposing character (you only get 2 char slots).

Male Cast:
-black skin white hair
-dark skin red hair
-green skin green hair

Male Human
-dark skin black hair

It goes on for a while

Castanic Female, Tanned Skin Blonde Hair Priest.

Anyway it's usually like this with character creators.

The_Longier

Jan 18, 2014
I spent ages in the character editors on City of Heroes trying to get My toons to look right, even after seven years I still wasnt happy with some of them.

Mook_StyFawker

Apr 3, 2013
I'm very very very OCD about how my characters look. Anything with a custom character creator will have me sitting there for quite some time trying to get them to look just right, usually because I like to make my own characters in games and that makes the "get it perfect" factor even higher. Match this up with my problem of getting bored with a character's looks very often, especially if you're playing as that character, and then maybe 25% of my time playing a game is just making them look right.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
To be honest, I am ridiculously OCD about my characters appearance. Yes, I want my guys to kick much bad guy ass, but they have to look gooooood while doing it, or whats the point? :) Speaking of which, thats one of the biggest draws to Diablo 3 for me.... I am constantly tinkering with the items I find to find the best DPS combination that (wait for it) looks the best! :)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Games with exessive character creator: i try to make it look as close to me as possible, or well at least ideolized me anyway. thought i wouldnt say i go overboard. This is my eve online character picture and this is as close as you are going to get to getting my photo on the internet:

Games with little costumization, such as clothes only: i usually go for black classic costume (even though i dislike wearing one in reality) and never change it afterwards. if i cant, then i cant, as long asi t does not look like a guy thats going to rape first person he sees im fine, whatever

games that dont allow costumization: dont care about appearance at all. it makes no matter to me what kind of ass is jumping from predefined piece of wall to predefined piece of wall (yes im talking about tomb raider).

In mosy RPGs i find costumization kinda pointless, considering 99% of the time the armor hides it anyway.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
hehe

oh you have NO idea how much of a time sink character customization can be for me.

We're talking anywhere between 5 minutes to several hours before I kill anything once them options pop up

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
To a certain extent. I really like tweaking my characters appearance and finding decent skins, but when playing it's usually practicality over style. I'll not refuse to wear a helmet just so I can see my character's face. I'll not keep my starter armor just because that happens to look good. But if the stat difference isn't too much, I'll pick the good-looking set.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
I generally make custom characters look like me as closely as I can, with spiked hair. My hair curls quickly after about 1in so I can't pull it off without $$$ hair product :)

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
I spent three hours tweaking the little sliders in Dragon Age Origins, then I played through the first fifteen minutes of the game, decided I didn't like how the camera showed my character's face at the 3/4 angle, deleted the data, started over from scratch, repeated this process two more times and was never fully happy, but settled.

Part of that might have been an issue with Dragon Age: O's character customization though, I think I spent all of five minutes creating a character in Monster Hunter Tri.
I did exactly that. "Oh the cheeks don't look right. New game for me!"

In games like Mass Effect and GT:O, where you have to unlock certain pieces of armour or glasses, it drives me up the wall! I want the Asymmetrical shoulder pads now Mass Effect 2 and NOT after the Collector base! Why do you torture me so?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Oh obsessively so, there's no way I'm letting my Commander Shepard wear that helmet, it may improve her stat's but dang is it butt ugly!

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Now that you mention it, the amoutn of hours that I've spent customizing my character at EVE online is just ridicolous. Not only did I have to get him right the first time, THEN make a good photo (yes you have to get the right lights, at the right angle, with the right pose, etc), but also a couple of years later they added some feature and therefore granted everybody a partial remake of their avatars... Cue me spending more hours adjusting my avatar as much as I could, making the photo again (which would always need to be revised for a 1º better angle...)...

Then I got a byionic eye and...

This is me btw

On the other hand, Skyrim is a game in which I put a surprisingly low amount of time creating my char. Maybe because I was so eager to start playing it.
I also spent a lot of time creating my Saint's Row III to be as badass as a human can get.

ps: Any way to reduce the image size?

Strazdas said:

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
The amount of time I spend on a character creator depends on how fun the process is - I enjoyed playing with the one in Dragon's Dogma, but I didn't particularly like the one in Skyrim so I only made a few rudimentary changes.

So it's not obsessively for me, it's just about the entertainment value.

Jul 31, 2013
Oh, I spend insane amounts of time on games with character creators. I admit it, I once made a really scarred character on Skyrim and I just HAD to invent a bunch of stories justifying how he got those scars. I know, it sounds laughable.

The last thing that I really obsessed about were those stupid little leather straps in AssCreed IV. You know, those straps that keep Ed's guns, swords and blowpipe bound to his body. Even though I really liked the Edward the Legend outfit (it makes him look like a true pirate with a hat and a longcoat, just pure awesome!!!!) but it missed just one little feature...

Yes, the goddamned straps. I just can't wear that costume because everytime I look at it it reminds me that it lacks those stupid little straps....

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
In lotro I have an two characters dedicated solely to storing outfits on top of the games own wardrobe function. My characters WILL look good, no matter the cost. I've restarted entire games of Skyrim just because I didn't like the way an animation looked and once (but only once) restarted a marathon run of the ME trilogy solely because I realised my character in two had duckface lips. I was about to start the suicide mission. How I missed it I don't know, but it happened.

So very obsessive. No idea why, don't give a shit I how I look in RL (usually).

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Let's just say that whenever a game throws an unexpected 'create character' option at me, I usually spend hours trying everything with everything just because I want to get it 'just right'. (For example, I can't remember when I actually played a sims game beyond the character and house designing.)

I think that's why I like 'dress up games' much more than I'm comfortable admitting...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
random, random, random
looks nice, adjust hairstyle, give full beard, change eye-color to blue and done.
i will however frequently wear inferior stuff because it looks cool.