How old were you when you had your first cigarette?

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
I was probably about 13 or 14,

I was really bored one night and I couldn't sleep so I thought I would see what all the fuss was about, I snuck into the kitchen when everyone else was asleep, found my dads tobacco, rolled quite possibly the worlds loosest cigarette and smoked it outside, I can just remember having massive head-spins and feeling like my bed was doing 360° rotations

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I cannot answer the question, as I am unable to see forward into the future. But here is some Tom and Jerry to cover for me

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I was 9. My niece's brother was a little older than me and when we moved near to her i got friendly with him. In no time at all i was saving dinner money to buy cigs and the rest is history. I can still remember the lightheaded sickly feeling though...happy days

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I never really dared, I used to vomit when I aspired the smoke so I never really bothered with it, and yes I'm very lightweight when it comes to narcotics or other intoxicating substances, when I was 16 I accidentally got high with children's headache medicine and I only took 3 pills which was the recommended dose for 14 year old, SERIOUSLY. There was also that time I entered my sister's painting studio while she was painting, and after 10 minutes I was getting impressed by everything, and then I saw the TV which was just playing music on the PS3 and it had that little visual effects thing, and I sat there for 4 hours just saying "Woah! This is amazing"[footnote]Did I mention that my entire family was there and they stayed in the studio for way longer than I did and nobody else got even a little high?[/footnote], 4 hours, this was when I was 17 BTW, so yeah I don't consume any narcotics they hit me really heavily.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
CannibalCorpses said:
I was 9. My niece's brother was a little older than me and when we moved near to her i got friendly with him. In no time at all i was saving dinner money to buy cigs and the rest is history. I can still remember the lightheaded sickly feeling though...happy days
Have to say I find this a little unsettling and disgusting. Addicted from the age of 9?

Personally I've taken about two breaths total on cigarettes in my life, even the smell of the smoke gets to me in a bad way very quickly. So I tend to argue none since i'd have to finish a single one to say that(something I'm never going to do). Weird to think that I've smoked more cannabis than tobacco, doesn't do any good to my system so I avoid it as well.

One of the medical people I talk to was a little surprised that I don't smoke/drink, people with my conditions very often fall back on alcohol and nicotine as a crude form of self medication.

Have to say later in life you do get this weird nagging feeling of being alone sometimes when you find that nearly all your co-workers in some jobs will just abandon you to take their smoke breaks.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I never have because it's bad for you and stuff.

And it's an expensive habit, one which I don't want to try to afford.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Nevah. I'm lame and boring. I was never tempted since my mother was a smoker and my brother as well, so I took no interest.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
nope

1. I practicly grew up on anti-smoking campaigns...so it was death incarnate as far as I was concerned

2. I honestly never saw the point

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Never. And I don't plan on it. I've got enough health problems that aren't self induced.

Though I did take a puff from one of my dads cigars..... Once. First and only time.

Though my mom smokes cigs. I have a hard time trying not to gag when shes smoking.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Never. Done the occasional cigar, but cigarette smoke is just nasty. Have no plans of crossing that bridge

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
None here either. People like to compare it to drinking as a social thing, but the difference I see is that drinking actually has a purpose: to quench thirst. Also, unless you got the wrong combinations from the gene fairy, alcohol isn't explicitly filled with things to make you hooked. It's an expensive, wasteful, unhealthy, and generally shitty habit, and one I don't think even peer pressure will coerce me into.

clipse15

May 18, 2009
22 I believe. Was drinking and someone offered a cig and i took it. I'm not really a smoker but the odd time i'm partying i'll sometimes have one for the night .I also bought a pack of cigarillos for me and a friend. He had to stop smoking weed for 2 months to make sure he passed a drug test and so i smoked those with him as a sign of solidarity

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Maybe 15 though I'd been breathing secondhand smoke for as long as I can remember. I love smoking, got some flavored cigarettes here on my desk, a pack of vanilla and pack of chocolate.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm 22 and I've never smoked one, and I seriously doubt I ever will.
Seems far too expensive just to poison yourself.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Phasmal said:
I'm 22 and I've never smoked one, and I seriously doubt I ever will.
Seems far too expensive just to poison yourself.
Yeah, there's plenty of cheaper chemicals that you can slowly kill yourself with that also don't poison the people around you too.
But hey, being incredibly ruthless here, it puts less pressure on the pension system.

OT: 17 years old and smoking still seems as silly as it was in all the years before that too. No cigarettes yet, especially since the bloody secondhand smoke is bad enough by itself.
Besides, Australia has some great shock ads. I don't know if they run similar ones overseas, but they're pretty cringe-worthy.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
People who haven't smoked, shouldn't smugly proclaim they haven't smoked. Cool story, bro. Us smokers keep social welfare affordable and other taxes low. Yes, it's expensive to keep a smoker alive until he dies. It's even more expensive to keep all healthy people alive until they die.

Anyway.

I've been smoking since I was 16, with a one year gap when I was 20-21. Only reason I see to quit is the financial aspect. Then again, the moment all smokers quit, governments are suddenly confronted with a loss of income that's in the millions. So, fatty foods and alcohol will be next in line.

BECAUSE IT'S BAD FOR YOU.

And then they whine healthcare costs are on the rise. Sigh.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Never had one, never will. Dad being a respiratory therapist really educates you on the realities of cigarettes and their effects on the body at quite an early age. Also, I don't really feel like committing long-term, expensive suicide through the poisoning of my body, which I would think is rather reasonable..

Cigarettes (not the smokers themselves, unless they are purposely being an ass and smoking near people whom clearly state they do not wish to be exposed to second hand smoke) are simply bad for society in general, and those smokers whom feel offended by that.. it's the nicotine talking, mate.

I'm a little bit more lenient on cigars though, and pipe tobacco, simply for sake of those products not typically having the assortment of garage-grade chemicals stuffed into them alongside the tobacco. Though I'd still never have one.

TL;DR: I don't hate smokers, but I'll never be convinced to say anything decent about cigarettes. If you keep it away from my lungs, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Edited for clarification

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
DoPo said:
I cannot answer the question, as I am unable to see forward into the future. But here is some Tom and Jerry to cover for me

I'm in the same boat, so please except my offering of C3PO catching R2-D2 having a smoke.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
18 and I couldn't bring myself to inhale. So I usually just get cigars now. THEY MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A SOMEBODY.

Mugen

Dec 14, 2011
Spinozaad said:
People who haven't smoked, shouldn't smugly proclaim they haven't smoked. Cool story, bro.

This x 9000

What is it with non-smokers and their need to shove their piety in our faces?

Im cynical as any 23 year old, but i dont judge someone on something as arbitrary as whether or not they prefer their o2 flavoured with some awesome Nicotine.

Everyone has bad habits, maybe your obese or a rapist, maybe you deny the holocaust or listen to dubstep ;) This is mine, and i would probably quit if I wasn't so scared id become like you.

OT - 20, I was late to the party :)