How people Butcher your name

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
It would seem the Skiba would be hard to mispronounce, but a lot of people tend to do just that. They tend to say "Sky-ba" instead of "Ski-ba".

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
One of my pet peeves is the mispronunciation of the "gli" sound by my fellow Americans. I had a doctor named Ventimiglia, which everyone pronounced as "Ven-tee-MEE-glee-uh". "Ven-tee-MEE-ly-uh" is closer.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
There is only one rare mispronunciation of my name and that is 'Ica-roose', tends to be eastern europeans that pronounce it like that.

The other problem I get with this name is that people sometimes think im russian.

EDIT: With my real name it's a completely different story, people say 'luck' sometimes (Luke) and with my last name it's double barrelled and some people get different bits of it wrong so sometimes Catlin turns into Caitlin and Groves turns into Rose.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
My last name is Desa******* and is french.
People said it sounded like Lasagna. It doesn't. Its pure hard constantent sounds. Yet from grade 2-7 i was called Lasagna boy. It was the most stupidest nick name i was ever given.

It was the equivalent of calling Frank, Doughnut. It makes, no, sense.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Usually people don't mess up my Escapist or PSN name since they're the same, and simple to say.

My real last name has produced some problems. Mainly because its so long and has so few vowels. No one can spell it correctly, and have problems pronouncing it.

My Steam name (Tofu Bacon) has gotten a lot of popularity on the servers I play, and it's annoying when people call me Bacon, rather than Tofu or Tofu Bacon.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
My screen name is always Corum1134. I can't tell you how many times I've been called Crumb. I was also called Scrotum once. Freudian slip?

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
People with British accents pronounce my name so wrong, I don't even recognize they're addressing me.

jmd102993

Mar 6, 2009
my gamer tag on live is naddadietz, its supposed to be pronounced (nah-duh-dee-tss) but no one can figure that out, so it becomes "nads" whenever someone tries to talk to me...didnt think that one out when i chose the gamertag. as far as my real name its spelt Jeremy, ive had freaking English teachers spell it "Jermy" "Jeromy" "Jeramy" and my favorate "Gerimy" (granted that last one wasn't a teacher and was 5, but still...)

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
FargoDog said:
People who insist on calling me Andy, despite my name being Andrew and never even giving the slighest hint that I've ever been called Andy.
Ugh, I know how you feel there. People insist on calling me Emmy (my name is Emily) even though it makes me sound like a small child. The only people that I generally allow to call me that are my family and my best friend.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
My last name is Heck. Four letters, as in Hell. But unless you spell it out when you say it, you'll get back Beck, Jeck, Zeck, Neck, Deck, Hack....

jojoemon

May 20, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Spelling Quinton as Quinten, Quintin, or Quentin and Stearn as Stern.
Arn't those both names from "Sound and the Fury"? That might actually explian why people think your name is spelled as Quentin and Stern; they assume you were named after the charecters in the book.
OT: my Rl name is Phil Burke, since their both one sylable names, they come out fast when their said, so a lot of people think it's "Philburt" when they hear it

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
My last name is spelled Goncalves . Its a common Portuguese last name. The problem is the C is pronounced like an S so people often pronounce the C like you normally would. Some even add a K sound to it.

This leads to names such as Gon Cal ves instead of Gon Sal ves.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
My last name is Clinkscales, which should be pretty easy, it's just "clink" and "scales", but people always start it with a K or make the K a G, or pronounce it like "Cleanscales".

Teh Roflchoppa

Jun 24, 2009
Last name Wegner but everyone of course says Wagner, and no matter how many times i remind them it always Wagner, makes me feel like my great great great great grandfather put his document's somehow wrong cuz everyone's a Wagner... Hell even my mozilla automatic spell check thing says Wegner is misspelled but Wagner is'nt.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
People keep calling me "op seven." It's pronounced "Steel-Thor the Merciless." Get it right, goddammit!