How the hell is that (not) acceptable?

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
If both people agree to a fight, and they have their fight... That's considered immoral and illegal.

It perplexes me.

Marcus McLean

May 12, 2010
rob_simple said:
I've personally never understood how a person in most 'civilised' countries is deemed responsible enough to breed before they are allowed to drink alcohol.

Hell, in the UK you can knock a girl up and marry the poor ***** before you can legally watch Terminator 2.

Da fuq?
Terminator 2 is rated 12 in the UK.

Age restrictions don't make it illigal for people under that age to watch movies, it just makes it illigal for you to sell them to people below that age without parental consent.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Tell people that humans are nothing more than animals like all the other mammals, see what reaction you get.

That's why.

People like to pretend that we are superior to other animals, and a part of that is to deny our more baser instincts and to deny what is natural.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Terratina. said:
Why is the "C Word" (hint: not crap.) rude? The other swear words I can see the reason why, but the "C Word" just puzzles me.
You're allowed to say **** on here, and I imagine it's rude cause it means vagina. Somehow some entitled people still think vaginas, excrement, sex, urine, etc are offensive things.

OT: Swearing (obviously) and public nudity (including waist down but ESPECIALLY waist up for females).

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
Spot1990 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Spot1990 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Spot1990 said:
Swearing. I mean you can say poop or pee pee but not shit or piss. How fucked are we as a society when a sound is taboo? No one cares about the meaning, everybody poops after all. But when people start shitting, that's offensive.
In this case, it simply depends on your company. If you are out in public, around children, it (rightfully so) isnt acceptable. Its a matter of respect. I have been in more than one situation where I have had to ask someone to watch their language, because I didnt want my kids to hear it. I behave in a similar way, in public, because I know its disrespectful to curse around children, as well as other people. Sure, it may not bother you and I to "color up" our language, but its not everyones cup of tea, and being civil, we should respect that.
All you've done here is repeat that it's considered bad, not explained why. Why are these words worse than any others? My point is it's meaning we should concern ourselves with, not the synonyms used to express it. So shit being unsuitable for kids makes no sense when poop and doo doo aren't. The word "shit" literally just a sound. It seems superstitious and weird to give it this sort of power.
Its common sense. Simply put, the majority of the public will frown upon someone cursing up a storm in public. Again, its a matter of respect for other people, and common sense will tell you that any parent with any sense is NOT going to respond well to a jerk running around in public swearing around their kids. I most certainly will not tolerate it, nor would alot of other people. Out of respect of other people, its the polite thing to do NOT to go spouting off that garbage in public around a bunch of people and get them offended.

When I am around similar company, my language is most certainly different than if I am out in public somewhere walking around, or even if my kids are with me. I dont talk that way in front of them, and I dont want anyone talking that way around them. I treat anyone elses kids the same way, and watch my language, because its the RIGHT THING TO DO. You dont need any other reason than that.
But why? Why don't people like those words? There's no reason for those to be bad words. That's my point. All you're saying is "those words are bad because people don't like them." The point I'm making is there is no reason for people to not like those words.
I dont know who determines that, lol, I just know that it IS. Who knows... maybe you and I could start saying, "Aboobuka" and tell people its an absolutely filthy word, and in a few generations, it could be the A word that you just dont mention... They are definitely deemed bad from somewhere, all I know is that it was already established fact when I was growing up. Dagnabbit, man, now I will be wondering about that the rest of the day. Thanks. :)
Please don't say Aboobuka, it's offensive to me.

O.T It's gotten better, but in my old school (the place you go between 12 and 18, don't know how else to call it because every country almost has a different system), there was a pretty big stigma on gaming :/. My class was very retarded. There were 8 guys and 14 girls. All the guys got along pretty well and we all gamed, there was even this one girl who gamed as well. We played the same games, even set up lan parties. Anyways, sometime we'd get accused of being antisocial and things like that. I remember this conversation:

Chick "I don't get it, you guys waste your time playing these immature games, why don't you guys be more social ! "

me :" Well, we play together and have fun, what do you do ?"

Chick:" well I go on MSN and watch tv"

I mean how is THAT better ? :/. Same girl also told me to "get a life". What she meant was: "get my life, so that I am reassured that i made good decisions because i'm insecure and if you have the same lifestyle, then i did well".

She works some shitty job now, i'm studying Biomedical Sciences.... *****

Sorry, this brought some stuff up ! :p

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Luca72 said:
Esotera said:
Jumping and climbing on things in public. If I hop over the wall to get to the cashpoint outside my house, it saves me 10 seconds, keeps me fit, and is really fun. But most people would give me a weird look for doing it.
That look they give you is "I wish I had the balls to do that but hope my face doesn't show it". Humans have an innate urge to climb things, it's fun and we naturally have all the tools we need for it.
I recently started doing Parkour and have been noticing this as well. I think it is just people being shit.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
chadachada123 said:
GiglameshSoulEater said:
geK0 said:
- I never understood how somebody who's 17 and 364 days is off limits, but the day they turn 18, they are fair game . It seems odd that somebody who is 16 or 17 is deemed "unable to give consent"
varies by region but the point still stands). Although, once somebody is into their mid-20s they shouldn't be dating that young anyway, I'm talking more about people ages 18-22 who get pinned for statutory rape.
Because there has to be a cut-off point, and on that age it is recognised they should have undergone enough development to be able to give informed consent.
I think there would be far, far less trouble if it was determined on a case-by-case basis, since there are plenty of 16 year olds that are far more mature and able to give consent than many 18 or 19 year olds.

Additionally, not just are some kids more emotionally mature (as in, they don't ACT immature), brain development is significantly different for everyone, to the point where comparing two 16-year olds and putting them on the same legal level is just...illogical and counterproductive.

Edit: But that's just me. I think that arbitrary cut-off points are horribly, horribly wrong for something like sexuality, and really only make sense for stuff like politics, where maturity is not that large of a factor compared to just basic intelligence.
I remember reading a newspaper article (in the UK btw. Legal age is 16 here) discussing the varying ages in different countries. In some European countries the age limit is as young as 12. The author of the article was discussing a change in policy of a age bracket, as in, if the youngest was 12, the other partner would have to be no older than 13, and so on, with the bracket getting steadily larger and non-existent at 16.

They made the point that girls tend to mature faster than boys, and seek a partner who is the same level of maturity as them. These partners are often older, and the author cited a few cases where loving relationships had to be called off (sometimes with the male fleeing police) because of the law. It made a strong case for a change of legislation.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
RustlessPotato said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Spot1990 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Spot1990 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Spot1990 said:
Swearing. I mean you can say poop or pee pee but not shit or piss. How fucked are we as a society when a sound is taboo? No one cares about the meaning, everybody poops after all. But when people start shitting, that's offensive.
In this case, it simply depends on your company. If you are out in public, around children, it (rightfully so) isnt acceptable. Its a matter of respect. I have been in more than one situation where I have had to ask someone to watch their language, because I didnt want my kids to hear it. I behave in a similar way, in public, because I know its disrespectful to curse around children, as well as other people. Sure, it may not bother you and I to "color up" our language, but its not everyones cup of tea, and being civil, we should respect that.
All you've done here is repeat that it's considered bad, not explained why. Why are these words worse than any others? My point is it's meaning we should concern ourselves with, not the synonyms used to express it. So shit being unsuitable for kids makes no sense when poop and doo doo aren't. The word "shit" literally just a sound. It seems superstitious and weird to give it this sort of power.
Its common sense. Simply put, the majority of the public will frown upon someone cursing up a storm in public. Again, its a matter of respect for other people, and common sense will tell you that any parent with any sense is NOT going to respond well to a jerk running around in public swearing around their kids. I most certainly will not tolerate it, nor would alot of other people. Out of respect of other people, its the polite thing to do NOT to go spouting off that garbage in public around a bunch of people and get them offended.

When I am around similar company, my language is most certainly different than if I am out in public somewhere walking around, or even if my kids are with me. I dont talk that way in front of them, and I dont want anyone talking that way around them. I treat anyone elses kids the same way, and watch my language, because its the RIGHT THING TO DO. You dont need any other reason than that.
But why? Why don't people like those words? There's no reason for those to be bad words. That's my point. All you're saying is "those words are bad because people don't like them." The point I'm making is there is no reason for people to not like those words.
I dont know who determines that, lol, I just know that it IS. Who knows... maybe you and I could start saying, "Aboobuka" and tell people its an absolutely filthy word, and in a few generations, it could be the A word that you just dont mention... They are definitely deemed bad from somewhere, all I know is that it was already established fact when I was growing up. Dagnabbit, man, now I will be wondering about that the rest of the day. Thanks. :)
Please don't say Aboobuka, it's offensive to me.

O.T It's gotten better, but in my old school (the place you go between 12 and 18, don't know how else to call it because every country almost has a different system), there was a pretty big stigma on gaming :/. My class was very retarded. There were 8 guys and 14 girls. All the guys got along pretty well and we all gamed, there was even this one girl who gamed as well. We played the same games, even set up lan parties. Anyways, sometime we'd get accused of being antisocial and things like that. I remember this conversation:

Chick "I don't get it, you guys waste your time playing these immature games, why don't you guys be more social ! "

me :" Well, we play together and have fun, what do you do ?"

Chick:" well I go on MSN and watch tv"

I mean how is THAT better ? :/. Same girl also told me to "get a life". What she meant was: "get my life, so that I am reassured that i made good decisions because i'm insecure and if you have the same lifestyle, then i did well".

She works some shitty job now, i'm studying Biomedical Sciences.... *****

Sorry, this brought some stuff up ! :p
Annnnnd Aboobuka now has legs, lol... Yeah, man, that girl didnt have a clue. You did what made you happy, and look how well it turned out. :)

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Marcus McLean said:
rob_simple said:
I've personally never understood how a person in most 'civilised' countries is deemed responsible enough to breed before they are allowed to drink alcohol.

Hell, in the UK you can knock a girl up and marry the poor ***** before you can legally watch Terminator 2.

Da fuq?
Terminator 2 is rated 12 in the UK.

Age restrictions don't make it illigal for people under that age to watch movies, it just makes it illigal for you to sell them to people below that age without parental consent.
Fiiine, swap Terminator 2 for Pulp Fiction and, presumably, the reason you are buying a film is to watch it not build a fort out of DVD cases, so the only reason to have a restriction in place is to stop people below that age seeing certain films.

My point stands.

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
Politcal Correctness if somebody is fat, and its obvious then why can't you say oh the fat guy over there ? Its a descriptive physical trait. I think this is a US thing I heard from my spanish teacher then in mexico they do that and it isn't a big deal but what ever

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
ThatLankyBastard said:
Why is it unacceptable to be different?

Why is it so fucking bad to be the one that stands out in the crowd? As an example, I am an 18 year old male and I like My Little Pony... I'm sure there are lots of bronies out there just like me and I bet we've all run into the same problem. We are "wierd" simply because we like something that others don't approve of! It's not just something as "big" as liking a little girls tv show, it's every tiny insignificant thing.

You don't like a certain genre of music...
You have a controversial opinion...
You do one thing to identify yourself as seperate from the masses...

And you are Wierd

AND ANOTHER THING! WHY THE FUCK DOES "'I' before 'E', except after 'C'" NOT APPLY TO THE WORD "Weird"???
1) People are arseholes, and will always find someone to hate for SOMETHING.
2) I before E is a 'rule' that has more exceptions than words that follow it. It is therefore no longer taught in English schools.