"How to find a girlfriend" - Some myths debunked

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
Despite the title, this is not a thread giving you advice on how to find a partner. Rather, I want to debunk a few popular misconceptions that we "nerds"(or rather, socially inept people with unusual hobbies) keep getting told, yet is totally useless advice.

Misconception 1 You can't find a girlfriend because you're not "cool" enough. Start living more healthily, improve your body, work on your behavior patterns, etc. etc. Nobody likes "that weird guy".

You see this kind of view a lot on the net. It kinda almost makes sense, I mean to find a partner, you'll want to suit the ideal of most women, right? Wrong. Let me tell you something: Most women(and men) out there are incredibly superficial. This not only means that they'll judge you by pretty fucked up standards, it also means they're not going to be very satisfying partners for you at all. If you follow the above advice, you might "get laid", but you will *not* find a satisfying relationship.

If you feel bad about yourself because you "can't get it on" with these people, like I have in the past, just remember that it's not really something wrong with *you*, it's more something fucked up with *society at large*. Trying to "play to their rules" is not going to help you. What you need to do is to become confident about the person you are, including all the things society at large disapproves of. In other words, you need to be able to show yourself to others as the person you are, without feeling embarrassed.Once you have that, there is no reason a worthwhile potential partner would not be able to love you for what you are.

Misconception 2 There is the "right partner" for you out there somewhere

I just talked about sticking to your guns, seeing as a "worthwhile partner" would accept you for what you are, just as long as you can accept yourself. However, how does one find such a "worthwhile partner"? Does such a person even exist in this world?

Well, we have billions of people on the planet. Chances are, there are at least a few thousand who would make a good partner for you. The problem is, even with that many, you'll likely never meet them. Even more annoyingly, if you meet one such person in your life, it's not unlikely you'll meet several of them. Yep, several "perfect partners". Uhm, what was that about monogamy again?

What this really boils down to, is that I can't say anything nice to you here. It's mostly luck-based, really. Sure, if you become socially active, you will meet more people. But you might get to know thousands and thousands of people, and still not meet anyone among them who would make an adequate partner. Again, this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, in fact it might mean there are a lot of things "right" with you that unfortunately make it unlikely to find a partner on "equal" standing.

Meanwhile, you might just end up meeting the right partner by total chance. At school, uni, work, some random place you go to.. Heck, even the internets. It could happen. And there's not much you can do about it, other than not totally shut yourself in.

So at the end of the day, you might live out your life, and never meet "that person". Which is okay, it's not your fault, you know? And you might feel pretty sad about that. That's okay, too, after all we have a fundamental longing for "love", and if we don't get that, yeah, that'll mess things up. But don't be tempted to try and become "someone else" just so the normal women take an interest in you. And also don't be tempted to just live out life, and expect the right partner to come along eventually - It MIGHT happen, but it also might not.

Some day, we might have our life behind us, and we might look back and be sad that we couldn't find "that person". However, that's how things go. We won't be better or worse for it. We'll just have lived a different life, made different experiences, than some other people. I think the most important thing is to accept such a possible outcome. Once we do that, we can become more relaxed about the opportunities we are presented, and it'll just lead to a more worthwhile and pleasant life.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I got one

if you find yourself in a forum that uses phrases like "Kino" "Dread game" "LMR" "game" "maintaining frame" "Alpha" "Beta" "MGTOW" "neg" "spinning plates" "next her" or matrix references to pills

run..run far away...pick up a rock and apply blunt trauma to your head

and forget what I just wrote...

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Instructions unclear. Ended up fucking a cucumber.

I don't know if this is serious but you should probably leave people to their own devices when looking for a partner.

Optimus6128

Oct 23, 2013
I am with you Bro.

And sometimes I wonder, why do we want? (does everyone?)
Living for the rest of your life hooked with another being.
I mean, it can be good, but it can be bad and it can be stressful, even though some people prefer company.
I am a loner. One reason for worrying about this, I wasn't feeling good with myself. Me never having a girlfriend at this age. Other having many girlfriends.
I didn't really need it. It was just to evaporate societal shame of never having one.
It might be ok (but not the answer to everything), maybe I get one in the future. But I am happier alone atm.
We are just pushed by society's expectations..

Misconception number 3: Do you really needed a girlfriend more than anything? Or just to not feel like a jerk?

p.s. I wouldn't think about MGOTW and stuff. I would better read more about love-shyness and why we have it. I am reading that book from Gilmartin and it explains a lot, a lot of things I was suspicious about, even things outside the problem, about myself. It's a good big read.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Instructions unclear, genitals got stuck in a ceiling fan.

Also,

Start living more healthily, improve your body, work on your behavior patterns, etc. etc.

...you should do this because it will make your WHOLE LIFE easier.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Are you telling me that if I look healthy and act normal, the gurls will like me?! How did I never think of this?! I feel like such an idiot!

I do have to say the second part is rather cynical, no matter how true it is. Whenever I see "the red ring of fate" pop up on facebook, I tend to laugh for a good five minutes.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I have an even better one.

The one rule to rule them all: Quit obsessing over how you need to find one.

If you're consciously thinking about it, you're obsessing. Cut that shit out. You might not realize it, but "desperate" is something you'll be relaying at three jerkawatts. And women generally don't like it when a guy has "Hey, I just want you as something I can show off" written all over his face.[footnote]Bloody Vego, thinks he can speak for all women, the smug, sexist pig etc etc.[/footnote]

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I would definitely ignore advice that nerdy guys need to hide their nerdiness in order to possibly ever get a date.
First of all, it's kind of dishonest, and secondly- it's good to be passionate and unashamed of your interests.
Now, people might consider that easy of me to say as a female nerd, but I honestly don't think nerdy interests are the big ladyboner killer that they're made out to be.

Vegosiux said:
I have an even better one.

The one rule to rule them all: Quit obsessing over how you need to find one.

If you're consciously thinking about it, you're obsessing. Cut that shit out. You might not realize it, but "desperate" is something you'll be relaying at three jerkawatts. And women generally don't like it when a guy has "Hey, I just want you as something I can show off" written all over his face.[footnote]Bloody Vego, thinks he can speak for all women, the smug, sexist pig etc etc.[/footnote]
Yeah, desperate does come across, and it's bad. And a lot of the time it does leave people thinking you don't want THEM, you just want SOMEONE.

Also, don't dismiss female friends as soon as you know they're not gonna be a romantic prospect. Being friends with girls can be great for making guys more relaxed when talking to women. And you know, don't limit your options on friends based on gender.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Myth: Girls like assholes. No people in general like people with confidence assholes just tend to have a lot typically they have to much in most areas. Also you do not have to have confidence in hitting on women or men or whatever just talk with genuine interest and yes that is one of those things that sounds simple but is accurately fairly hard to do.

Random Note: Do you actually want a committed monogamous relationship? Society says you do, it is clearly you only goal once you can make rent the next step is marriage no questions asked because reasons.That is odd because I have never actually wanted one and stereotypically that means I am a womanizing bastard a that sleeps with married chicks and says "giggity giggity all right 50 times a day. That is not true I just do not want a partner, why is this so strange? I never got why this is strange.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
DANEgerous said:
Random Note: Do you actually want a committed monogamous relationship? Society says you do, it is clearly you only goal once you can make rent the next step is marriage no questions asked because reasons.That is odd because I have never actually wanted one and stereotypically that means I am a womanizing bastard a that sleeps with married chicks and says "giggity giggity all right 50 times a day. That is not true I just do not want a partner, why is this so strange? I never got why this is strange.
That's one of the less common ones. I mean, from my experience it'd likely be more along the lines of "Dude, you gay?" or something like that obnoxious internet fad that being nerdy is +100 to protection of virginity (but only if you're a guy!). Basically, not a womanizer, but a loser who doesn't know what's good for him.

What a world.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Protip: be yourself

I mean, improve yourself as best you can in a physical way (eat better, exercise, like in the OP), but don't hide your qualities or who you are. Example, I just started online dating. Going reasonably well so far (for 2 weeks anyways), talked to a few girls had a couple of dates that didn't really go anywhere. But you know what I never did? I didn't hide that I was a nerd, I was open with my love for guitar, metal, anime and video games. I'm not going to date someone that tells me it's wrong to enjoy one of my passions (as long as it's not morally objectionable) and if they can't live with my enjoying those things, then I'd rather not be around them.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013

This seems to work everytime. NSFW lanuage

To guys having trouble avoid anything from jezebel to red pills to any blogs on this just for your sanity I am serious.

Salus

Oct 7, 2013
I think you have misconceptions buried in your misconceptions. You said that "There is a right partner for you out there somewhere" is a misconception, then you told us just how finding the "right person" is luck-based and some "lucky" people find it and others don't (so there IS a magical right partner somewhere?). Your post is a little defeatist, I don't know if that stems from RL experiences or not.

Discount this advice if you want, but I'd stop making it about you.

"It is obvious that the only interesting people are interested people, and to be completely interested is to have forgotten about "I"." - Alan Watts, philosopher

In contrast, to be concerned with being interesting is to be utterly empty. To put it another way, you draw your color from the world around you.

If you subscribe to the "mating pool" idea, where you deduce that there are a certain number of compatible mates on this planet that "suit" you, you'll have to consider several things. First, is that these people are probably not scattered over the globe, since you probably want someone socially/culturally compatible (not to mention someone who speaks your language) and you're probably going to find that your "potential mates" are centered around you in the first place, and not in rural India or in a Buddhist monastery. Second, is that adopting such an attitude is perhaps a bit unattractive to those "mates." In America, we've taken the consumerist model and applied it to even friendship and mating, that is, made it a "meat market." If you make a grocery list and go wife-shopping, don't be surprised when you end up with someone going husband-shopping.

Just a few hundred years ago, you'd be lucky to even escape an arranged marriage. The things we overlook nowadays. We always find new ways to suffer, don't we? Surely those poor souls would have given their left nut just to pick from a best-of-3?

IMHO, if you stop treating women like they're there to complete you, and just start enjoying them as they are, you'll find yourself much happier, and probably in a great relationship. Trust me, women might like to be pursued, but they LOVE to be understood. Men too, right? When, amidst the superficial, you find someone that just SEES you, because he/she has no PLANS for you? Start being more interested in them instead of interested in how they fit in your visions for yourself. Trust me, there's probably a girl on your street you wish you knew better, right now. Drop the "primordial soup" thing.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Instructions unclear; am now in low orbit over Ganymede. Please send assistance.

But here's the thing about the whole "fake being something different to attract others" deal: If it succeeds, eventually you're either going to have to drop the act, or become it [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BecomingTheMask]. And few people enjoy finding out they've been deceived.

What's better is if you simply own what you are. Unless your likes and hobbies are truly abhorrent- don't expect a lot of phone numbers after bringing sheets of human skin to a macrame class- odds are decent that you'll find someone who, if she isn't interested in your hobbies, is at least tolerant enough of them to give the rest of you a look.

Phasmal said:
Also, don't dismiss female friends as soon as you know they're not gonna be a romantic prospect. Being friends with girls can be great for making guys more relaxed when talking to women. And you know, don't limit your options on friends based on gender.
And also don't forget that your female friends may have other female friends, and might not be shy about giving a "hey, I know a guy you'd like" suggestion. Having a good friendship with one or more women may just get you hooked up!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Phasmal said:
I would definitely ignore advice that nerdy guys need to hide their nerdiness in order to possibly ever get a date.
First of all, it's kind of dishonest, and secondly- it's good to be passionate and unashamed of your interests.
Now, people might consider that easy of me to say as a female nerd, but I honestly don't think nerdy interests are the big ladyboner killer that they're made out to be.
My uni experiences beg to differ. I think at the very least this piece of advice is heavily depended on the crowd of people you happen to be dumped into and how accepting they are off geeky things.

It's not so much about being dishonest so much as keeping sides of yourself hidden until you have some measure of confidence the other person won't tear you to insecure shreds over it. It's good to be passionate of your interests for sure, but if the person/crowd of people you're with happens to find your nerdy interests are "for losers" or "sad" or w/e then you've pretty much dug yourself into a social hole.

OT: The "friend" zone.

Maybe there is some truth in the myth but if there is it's more bought on by the guy giving mixed signals and being wishy washy (or worst..hoping that just being "nice" will earn points towards being a future boyfriend candidate or something) then by women putting guys in the friend zone cos they were just "too nice" or didn't make their move before some arbitrary time limit.

An attitude of "if something happens, it happens, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen" saves a lot of stress and results in healthier relationships with friends of the opposite gender. Just like one can sense awkwardness and desperation, you will give out a cooler vibe then you normally would precisely because you aren't desperate and aren't just talking to that girl in the vain hope you might guilt trip her into sleeping with you a few months down the line.

Catchpra: WORSHIP NOTHING Yes catchpra! Exactly! Worship nothing, put nothing on a pedestral. See? Catchpra knows what Im talking about.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Frankster said:
Phasmal said:
My uni experiences beg to differ. I think at the very least this piece of advice is heavily depended on the crowd of people you happen to be dumped into and how accepting they are off geeky things.

It's not so much about being dishonest so much as keeping sides of yourself hidden until you have some measure of confidence the other person won't tear you to insecure shreds over it. It's good to be passionate of your interests for sure, but if the person/crowd of people you're with happens to find your nerdy interests are "for losers" or "sad" or w/e then you've pretty much dug yourself into a social hole.
Well, you may have a point. It probably does depend. I did meet my boyfriend on World Of Warcraft (no rly), so obviously nerdy interests weren't gonna be a turn off for most people there.

Ok, change my advice a little. Find the place where nerds gather in your area.
Should be a quiet place, away from sunlight and harsh noises. Find your nerd burrow.

But for serious I do consider if you have an involved nerdy hobby and you don't tell your prospective partner until they are already emotionally invested to be dishonest, but that's just me. I guess everyone draws their own boundaries.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
I remember the whole hide my nerd thing but that back in high school where I was stupid because I started on the football team and track but kept my kingdom hearts, final fantasy and pokemon on the down low. Then I got to college now in the semi real world and I could care less.

Honestly their are posters I have, my sonic the hedgehog wallet, and various swag on my key chains shoot thinking about getting some figurines and leaving them out.

I am at point where if she sees deal breaker I interpret that as a litmus test tomato tomatoh.

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
Protip: Stop sitting on your arse looking for relationship advice on the Escapist forums. Be a nerd if you are one, hell, me and my girlfriend met at a convention. At the same time, don't go around actively looking for someone. Just live your life and whatever happens happens. And if things don't work out, it's cool. You can't always get what you want. Even if all you do all day is sit around the house eating Doritos and watching Super Sentai, Law of probability states that there's still someone out there for you. You probably just won't meet them, because of the obvious reasons. So, you gotta do something about that, right?

Do what you want to. Be confident in who you are. I know that it's an easy thing to say and a hard thing to do, but once you lift that restriction from your mind, it all becomes easier.

In summary?
All things in good time.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Ok not to try to rustle anything up but with the whole be friends with ladies lets clarify a bit. There is nothing wrong with wanting to ask a gal out then get rejected and for both parties to move their separate ways. Like you the ability know who you want to date you have the same with who you want for a friend. Obviously there are different scenarios and events and nothing is clear cut despite easy go to internet scenarios.

Hopefully this doesn't get misinterpreted wrong there is nothing wrong with having gals as friends just wanted to add my 2 cents from a personal and opinionated point of view of mine.