How to follow up Mass Effect 3's Ending with a Real One (spoilers included)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Doesn't compare to :http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125
Nonetheless pretty good.
God I hope Bioware come to their senses and at the very least give some proper closure.

VerverkS

Aug 7, 2011
wintercoat said:
Smeggs said:
The problem with that ending is that those who chose "LEAVE THE REAPERS ALL INTACT" and "SPACE MAGIC" ending would feel betrayed, and some might have to play all the way through the game again.
Not the whole game. Just Cronos Base and London. The game autosaves to right before you start the Cerberus Base mission. Hell, if you didn't do anything after beating the game with that file, you can restart right from when Shepard gets up after being blasted by Harbinger by choosing the restart Citadel: The Return.

For those who were worried about the non-destroy endings, this guy got it 100% right. You wouldn't need to replay the whole game. Just the last two missions. Or maybe even later than that if you had a save you can just go back to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Damn, I gotta say that would be pretty kick ass. You know I wasn't too fond of the indoctrination theory before, but if it means we can move on from that crappy ending then hey, full speed ahead.
And the parallels to Dallas will be complete.

Well, except Moviebob will still complain that this set the "art" back a decade, and act like this is unprecedented in the history of the world.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheOneBearded said:
You do know that Bioware got the idea of adding the "Starchild" from some kid in middle-school? At least this sounds good and can give the ending that ME deserves.
I would have guessed an insane asylum.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Smeggs said:
The problem with that ending is that those who chose "LEAVE THE REAPERS ALL INTACT" and "SPACE MAGIC" ending would feel betrayed, and some might have to play all the way through the game again.
So why doesn't Bioware release a different post end game for each choice?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Buretsu said:
JDLY said:
Also, I'd add that I'd appreciate it if, whatever they do, they make someway to live and not destroy the Mass Relays. One of my favorite things about ME2 was that afterward you could still fly around and talk to people/do any side missions you forgot.
The issue with this is that, from a Story perspective, the Mass Relays "need" to be destroyed. The Mass Relays are traps created by the Reapers that galactic civilization falls into time and time again. They may appear to offer freedom, but in reality, they're straight and narrow paths with no branches. It's literally impossible to travel anywhere a Mass Relay doesn't already exist, thus preventing true exploration of the galaxy.

How many star systems are completely unknown to the present species of the Mass Effect galaxy, since they have no way of getting there. For all we know, there are several systems inaccessible via Relay, but exist within a lifetime of travel that provide for all of the food-related needs after the destruction of the Relays.
This is something im curious about. If the Reapers are destroyed, why do the Mass Relays need to be destroyed? Yes, they are a trap design to force us down a specific technological path, but unlike before, if the Reapers are gone, why does that matter?

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Seems mostly good, though I have other ideas to add to that.

1. You forgot the illusive man, you'll need to throw him in there somewhere. Even if it's just a sequence where you see him maimed and dead in Harbinger, having outlived his usefulness.

2. How exactly are you going to have the Harbinger fight? There just isn't any feasible way to do it well, because once you're inside it, Bioware's only options are really that sequence in ME2 where you pick up Legion and escape the derelict Reaper.

What I'd propose instead would be to have your squad indoctrinated, and have them be the final boss fight. After all, they never fought the indoctrination like Shepard did. If you have high enough paragon/renegade you could snap them out of it after this fight, and if not you have to finish them. Then you destroy the core and the rest of your thing plays out.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
Buretsu said:
JDLY said:
The issue with this is that, from a Story perspective, the Mass Relays "need" to be destroyed. The Mass Relays are traps created by the Reapers that galactic civilization falls into time and time again. They may appear to offer freedom, but in reality, they're straight and narrow paths with no branches. It's literally impossible to travel anywhere a Mass Relay doesn't already exist, thus preventing true exploration of the galaxy.

How many star systems are completely unknown to the present species of the Mass Effect galaxy, since they have no way of getting there. For all we know, there are several systems inaccessible via Relay, but exist within a lifetime of travel that provide for all of the food-related needs after the destruction of the Relays.
Well, even if they are a trap of the Reapers, why should we not be able to use them if the Reapers are destroyed?

Either that, ore they are damaged, but not destroyed. To an extent that we can repair them and in the process study them and learn how to build our own Mass Relays

vdizzle129 said:
For those who have played through Mass Effect 3 and know the ending and are contemplating a new one, please take a look at this.

http://social.bioware.com/3461157/blog/212213/

I wrote this a couple weeks back. All my friends have given me a thumbs up from it, but I'm looking for some other input.
Also, something I forgot to say earlier: What about the Illusive Man, if everything on the citadel was a hallucination, then he would still be alive. How could he come into this?

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I don't agree with everything, but overall yeah the ending should have your choices matter and the main villian should be harby, not starchild.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
putowtin said:
Not too shabby, an interesting read

but more importantly
scorptatious said:
Also, INB4 Zeel...

...Wait, he's banned??

HOORAY!!

when? Huzzah!
This was his/her last known thread:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.358917-Mass-Effect-3-Went-Too-Far-Now?page=1

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I liked the games ending. You guys are idiots if you think you can write better lol.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Orange12345 said:
At a guess?

Effort.

WanderingFool said:
This is something im curious about. If the Reapers are destroyed, why do the Mass Relays need to be destroyed? Yes, they are a trap design to force us down a specific technological path, but unlike before, if the Reapers are gone, why does that matter?
Indeed, if they're gone, it doesn't matter. The "trap" can't really close without the Reapers and it was only a dead end because it led to Reapers. Not to mention, this cycle proves things can change. It was unprecedented what Shep did. By that single act, we've demonstrated that things are not immutable. If they were, we'd already be Reaper Chow (Now with 35% less Prothean).

JDLY said:
Either that, ore they are damaged, but not destroyed. To an extent that we can repair them and in the process study them and learn how to build our own Mass Relays
Wasn't one of the races Mass Relay capable already? Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but I thought one of them had the tech.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
The_Blue_Rider said:
TheOneBearded said:
My problem is with the "having a full 5000 EMS" (which can only happen if you play the multiplayer). Personally, I don't care about multiplayer, so I don't pay for gold membership and I know of many people who don't have internet access on their 360. Can't I have the maximum amount of EMS (around 3000, I think) from playing the single-player only and still get the best ending? My renegade Shepard doesn't take no for an answer.
Why does everyone seem to think that? You dont need the multiplayer to get 5000 EMS, i got it on my first playthrough and i hadnt even touched the multiplayer at that point, hell you can even get every achievement without the multiplayer, because some give you an option (eg Reach level 60 in the single player, or level 20 in the Multiplayer).

I think that sounds really good and all, but it sort of makes it so there is one true ending, make it so that no matter what, Shepard gets up, just that depending on what you chose there is a dire consequence, like i dunno, Garrus dies for Control, Wrex dies for Synthesis, and Liara dies for destroy, make it an impossible decision
That can't be right. I have done every single side mission (minus one or two of the early ones) and I have done everything needed to get my war assets to the highest it can go (cure genophage, let the Rachni Queen survive, get the Quarians and the Geth to bury the hatchet, etc) and I still didn't get close to 5000. I was able to choose which ending I wanted instead of getting only the "kill all Reapers" ending, but I wasn't near the maximum number.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Orange12345 said:
At a guess?

Effort.

WanderingFool said:
Indeed, if they're gone, it doesn't matter. The "trap" can't really close without the Reapers and it was only a dead end because it led to Reapers. Not to mention, this cycle proves things can change. It was unprecedented what Shep did. By that single act, we've demonstrated that things are not immutable. If they were, we'd already be Reaper Chow (Now with 35% less Prothean).

JDLY said:
Wasn't one of the races Mass Relay capable already? Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but I thought one of them had the tech.
The Protheans figured it out, so presumably the Asari would have been able to learn how to do it.

greenlinkboy

Sep 7, 2009
You know that the ending to your story is bad when people would rather believe that 'it was all just a dream' instead.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
Sexy Devil said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
JDLY said:
The Protheans figured it out, so presumably the Asari would have been able to learn how to do it.
As he said, the Protheans did build a small one, that's how you get to the Citadel at the end of ME1.

Also, if you talk to the Asari Matriarch barmaid on Illium, she says that she used to be a councilor, and as one she suggested building their own Mass Relays. However they laughed at her ideas, which is why she became a barmaid. So we can assume that if they couldn't at the time, they at least weren't very far off from being able to attempt it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
JDLY said:
Sexy Devil said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
JDLY said:
As he said, the Protheans did build a small one, that's how you get to the Citadel at the end of ME1.

Also, if you talk to the Asari Matriarch barmaid on Illium, she says that she used to be a councilor, and as one she suggested building their own Mass Relays. However they laughed at her ideas, which is why she became a barmaid. So we can assume that if they couldn't at the time, they at least weren't very far off from being able to attempt it.
I think that bit not only gave a reasonable idea of the Asari being able to build a Mass Relay (and considering the revelation on Thessia in ME3), but that they dont bother because they dont need to... well, not before...

Buretsu said:
WanderingFool said:
Buretsu said:
JDLY said:
Also, I'd add that I'd appreciate it if, whatever they do, they make someway to live and not destroy the Mass Relays. One of my favorite things about ME2 was that afterward you could still fly around and talk to people/do any side missions you forgot.

Because a comfortable, convenient cage is still a cage. Galactic civilization is still just a lab rat, only now the scientists are dead.
So what? Just because its a cage, we shouldnt still use it. As you said, its a comfortable, convenient cage, and all the "scientists" are dead. I would say keep using the cage, till a better place is found.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
TheOneBearded said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
TheOneBearded said:
My problem is with the "having a full 5000 EMS" (which can only happen if you play the multiplayer). Personally, I don't care about multiplayer, so I don't pay for gold membership and I know of many people who don't have internet access on their 360. Can't I have the maximum amount of EMS (around 3000, I think) from playing the single-player only and still get the best ending? My renegade Shepard doesn't take no for an answer.
Why does everyone seem to think that? You dont need the multiplayer to get 5000 EMS, i got it on my first playthrough and i hadnt even touched the multiplayer at that point, hell you can even get every achievement without the multiplayer, because some give you an option (eg Reach level 60 in the single player, or level 20 in the Multiplayer).

I think that sounds really good and all, but it sort of makes it so there is one true ending, make it so that no matter what, Shepard gets up, just that depending on what you chose there is a dire consequence, like i dunno, Garrus dies for Control, Wrex dies for Synthesis, and Liara dies for destroy, make it an impossible decision
That can't be right. I have done every single side mission (minus one or two of the early ones) and I have done everything needed to get my war assets to the highest it can go (cure genophage, let the Rachni Queen survive, get the Quarians and the Geth to bury the hatchet, etc) and I still didn't get close to 5000. I was able to choose which ending I wanted instead of getting only the "kill all Reapers" ending, but I wasn't near the maximum number.
Well it is, I cant tell you what you've done wrong but it is entirely possible to get 5000 war assets without the multiplayer, heck im only up to Citadel Priority 2 and im nearing 3000 war assets.
Maybe it has something to do with choices you made in the previous games? Are you scanning planets to find war assets? Are you searching for things during missions that will contribute to your EMS? Resolving arguments on the Citadel?