How to Hate

Encaen

May 6, 2005
How to Hate

One approach to taking down the menace of the week in your local playgroup.

Read Full Article

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
After reading this I went back and looked through my White/Red deck, and I think it could handle the Craterhoof deck pretty easily, considering I have so many options to stall and that it would have to keep dealing with attacks of its own.

Oblivion Rings, Giestflames, Fiend Hunters, Mirrian Crusaders, Due Respect etc.

I could also side in Arc Trail and Spirit Mantle some early f-u.

But if I knew someone was going to be playing Craterhoof, I'd bring my B/W Venser lockdown.

"I play Craterhoof Behemoth".

"Mana Leak".

"Fuck you".

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Paragon Fury said:
After reading this I went back and looked through my White/Red deck, and I think it could handle the Craterhoof deck pretty easily, considering I have so many options to stall and that it would have to keep dealing with attacks of its own.

But if I knew someone was going to be playing Craterhoof, I'd bring my B/W Venser lockdown.

"Mana Leak".

"Fuck you".
Haha! I hadn't actually accounted for [mtg_card=Arc Trail]. Taking out an Archdruid and a mana elf on turn 2 is pretty sweet.

I do have to say, though, [mtg_card=Mana Leak] has been a bit lackluster in my testing. Unless they've got the ideal draw and are going for broke on turn four, they'll too often have mana to pay for Leak on turn five or later. I found [mtg_card=Dissipate] a better option, and I'm doing some more testing with [mtg_card=Rewind] to see how that fares, though it may be too slow to be reliable.

The major problem with just countering Craterhoof is the army of 2/2 or bigger elves that you still have to contend with, thanks to the Archdruids. You will have access to DoJ, though, so between that and a suite of counters, you might fare pretty well against Craterhoof. :)

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Encaen said:
Paragon Fury said:

"Mana Leak".

"Fuck you".
Haha! I hadn't actually accounted for [mtg_card=Arc Trail]. Taking out an Archdruid and a mana elf on turn 2 is pretty sweet.

I do have to say, though, [mtg_card=Mana Leak] has been a bit lackluster in my testing. Unless they've got the ideal draw and are going for broke on turn four, they'll too often have mana to pay for Leak on turn five or later. I found [mtg_card=Dissipate] a better option, and I'm doing some more testing with [mtg_card=Rewind] to see how that fares, though it may be too slow to be reliable.

The major problem with just countering Craterhoof is the army of 2/2 or bigger elves that you still have to contend with, thanks to the Archdruids. You will have access to DoJ, though, so between that and a suite of counters, you might fare pretty well against Craterhoof. :)
I actually don't own any DoJs.....my U/W uses Venser and spells for Infinite Bounce + [mtg_card=Stonehorn Dignitary] = Opponent never has a combat step from Turn 5 on. I usually just keep doing that until Venser has enough to get his Badge, at which point I'll just use my reserve of creatures and spells to survive one turn, and then go back to bouncing Stonehorn and exiling something every turn.

Its a bit harder to win with, but I've had people and friends tell me its incredibly frustrating to play against, even if you do wind up winning against it. I think my R/W is still better, but the B/W is fun. For the record, the decklist looks like this:

[mtg_card=Venser, the Sojourner] x2
[mtg_card=Inquisitor Exarch] x2
[mtg_card=Negate] x2
[mtg_card=Mana Leak] x2
[mtg_card=Stonehorn Dignitary] x4
[mtg_card=Gideon's Lawkeeper] x4
[mtg_card=Gitaxian Probe] x4
[mtg_card=Aether Adept] x2
[mtg_card=Vapor Snag] x4
[mtg_card=Oblivion Ring] x4
[mtg_card=Suture Priest] x2
[mtg_card=Phyrexian Ingestor] x2
[mtg_card=Vedalken Anatomist] x2
[mtg_card=Village Bell-ringer] x2

[mtg_card=Island] x9
[mtg_card=Plains] x9
[mtg_card=Glacial Fortress] x4

Sideboard:
[mtg_card=Celestial Purge] x2
[mtg_card=Flashfreeze] x2
[mtg_card=Demystify] x2
[mtg_card=Divine Offering] x2
[mtg_card=Fiend Hunter] x2
[mtg_card=Mana Leak] x2
[mtg_card=Arm with Aether] x1
[mtg_card=Soul Parry] x2

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Actually, the Elf Ramp deck with Craterhoof lends itself quite well to a variation on [mtg_card=Bonfire of the Damned] aggro/ramp. The plan is the same, as always, but swap out the elf theme (keep the [mtg_card=Elvish Visionary]s, of course) for some Red/green aggro cards like [mtg_card=Flinthoof Boar] (love that little dude), [mtg_card=Strangleroot Geist], and/or [mtg_card=Stromkirk Noble], and power cards like the aforementioned Bonfire, [mtg_card=Reverberate], [mtg_card=Pillar of Flame], [mtg_card=Smelt] (very important), [mtg_card=Huntmaster of the Fells] etc... Maybe toss in [mtg_card=Hellion Crucible] for "something to do" when you have nothing else.

Again, the main goal is to ramp up some little dudes, summon [mtg_card=Craterhoof Behemoth], and Trample over everything... but this lets you get around some pesky Control decks.

I've also been working on a janky combo, using the basic Elf Run deck, but revolving instead around [mtg_card=Druids' Repository] and [mtg_card=Door to Nothingness]... I haven't been able to pull it off properly yet, but seeing the Door in my hand with 4 counters on Repositories did strike some terror into my opponents... right before they killed me. If only [mtg_card=Green Sun's Zenith] could find any permanent, not just creatures...

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Paragon Fury said:

"Mana Leak".

"Cavern of Souls: Beasts"

"Fuck you"

This actually happened to me last week.

Also, needs some [mtg_card=Conjurer's Closet]. Easier to play than Venser, but without his ultimate.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
It seems like a blue/black denial deck would work very well: counter powerful cards, deal damage and -/- counters to all creatures.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The local meta here is either [mtg_card=Birthing Pod] or [mtg_card=Trading Post], so I generally run white. I like to watch people cry when [mtg_card=Stony Silence] hits the table. For a bit less hateness, I backup with [mtg_card=Angel of Jubilation].

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
:p The whole time I was reading that article I kept thinking "........why not just counter the big fat bastard?" until you finally mentioned Dissipate.

I'd like to see how a well-built mill deck would do against Two-Ton Tony. :3

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I say let them ramp up to the behemoth, then fog, laugh, the follow with a day. spot removal any azuris as needed.

Paragon Fury said:
I actually don't own any DoJs.....my U/W uses Venser and spells for Infinite Bounce + [mtg_card=Stonehorn Dignitary] = Opponent never has a combat step from Turn 5 on.
Turn 4 on. You play the stonehorn the turn before dropping vensor.

The problem is that if you don't have an answer on their turn 4, your turn 4 might not show up.

2xDouble said:
I've also been working on a janky combo, using the basic Elf Run deck, but revolving instead around [mtg_card=Druids' Repository] and [mtg_card=Door to Nothingness]... I haven't been able to pull it off properly yet, but seeing the Door in my hand with 4 counters on Repositories did strike some terror into my opponents... right before they killed me. If only [mtg_card=Green Sun's Zenith] could find any permanent, not just creatures...
10 mana to win the game (Double rainbow at that) is just painful... there's no way you can ramp up quickly enough in standard to make that work.

Not to mention all the artifact hate running.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
I did make an 'antideck' once, which evolved into something of its own for use in friendly multiplayer games, and it was because I kept being foiled by indestructible creatures. (Which were a completely new thing to me at the time).
With mostly only having a smattering backlog of old cards and the Time Spiral block (one booster box of Time Spiral and Planar Chaos' worth at least) as a pool, as well as some odds and ends from a few blocks prior to that which were kindly donated to me, I set about finding a way to set up reusable indestructible creature removal.

The combo I started up with was [mtg_card="Merfolk Thaumaturgist
"] and [mtg_card=Serendib Sorcerer]/[mtg_card=Sorceress Queen] (as the timeshifted version reminded me of the original) to simply turn those indestructible nasties into 2/0s as often as I liked.
Then I added [mtg_card=Fool's Demise] and things got silly.

I then started expanding upon this, adding all sorts of instant creature removal, like [mtg_card=Assassinate]/[mtg_card=Death Stroke] and reusable power reducers to help with the thaumaturgists like [mtg_card=Despondency]. I even added a [mtg_card=Reveka, Wizard Savant
] so I could kill things I managed to reduce to 2 toughness somehow, and a [mtg_card=Freed from the Real] to make it really annoying and possibly a game ender by making every island I had worth two damage.
Thus the deck became a somewhat creature control one, which killed anything that looked at it funny and stole the juiciest targets available with [mtg_card=Fool's Demise] and then proceeded to beat their former owners with them, with [mtg_card=Enslave] to catch the ones I couldn't quite kill.
I eventually added some [mtg_card=Ersatz Gnomes] after a game in which an ally's managed to let me do the kill & control combo on an opponent's [mtg_card=Akroma, Angel of Wrath] (which I was so happy when I found out it was the first Timeshifted card I pulled incidentally), which I proceeded to beat them to death with.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Here's [http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/24115_Eternal_Europe_Basic_Sideboarding_Theory.html] a great article on how to sideboard for things if anybody wants to read it.

Generally, the best way to go about putting together a sideboard against someone is picking cards that stop them, but still do something for you. A card that cantrips, at the very least, while still screwing with your opponent's game plane is always great.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Draconalis said:
2xDouble said:
10 mana to win the game (Double rainbow at that) is just painful... there's no way you can ramp up quickly enough in standard to make that work.

Not to mention all the artifact hate running.
Mono Green or G/U control must not be a thing in your local meta...

Turn 1: Forest- [mtg_card=Birds of Paradise]
Turn 2: Island - [mtg_card=Avacyn's Pilgrim], [mtg_card=Llanowar Elf], [mtg_card=Jace's Phantasm] (or [mtg_card=Delver of Secrets], but f*** Delver)
Turn 3: Forest - [mtg_card=Druid's Repository], swing with Phantasm (DR counters=1), [mtg_card=Avacyn's Pilgrim]
Turn 4: Any land (preferably Island or blue dual) - any 2 creatures (preferably [mtg_card=Elvish Visionary]), Swing away, [mtg_card=Fog], counter spells as necessary (DR counters=6)
Turn 5: Any land - Swing everything except Pilgrims (DR counters=11), [mtg_card=Door to Nothingness], activate Door, win.

Fast enough?

Works great with G/R too, for spells/combos like [mtg_card=Thatcher Revolt] and [mtg_card=Battle Hymn] alongside the Door.

Then again, nobody in most metas run [mtg_card=Battle of Wits] decks either... yet we have two, functioning perfectly.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
2xDouble said:
Turn 5: Any land - Swing everything except Pilgrims (DR counters=11), [mtg_card=Door to Nothingness], activate Door, win.
Doesn't Door to Nothingness come into play tapped?

Edit: Also, you thought of Slagstorm but not Flamebreak? Deals with Ezuri damned well, no matter the turn...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
2xDouble said:
So what happens when they use:

ancient grudge, smelt, naturalize, crushing vines, divine offering, revoke existence, crush, shatter

And that's just the spells, which don't take into account the creatures with EtB effects that destroy artifacts? Or spells that destroy enchantments.

What do you do then? What's your alternate win condition?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Ringwraith said:
I did make an 'antideck' once, which evolved into something of its own for use in friendly multiplayer games, and it was because I kept being foiled by indestructible creatures. (Which were a completely new thing to me at the time).
With mostly only having a smattering backlog of old cards and the Time Spiral block (one booster box of Time Spiral and Planar Chaos' worth at least) as a pool, as well as some odds and ends from a few blocks prior to that which were kindly donated to me, I set about finding a way to set up reusable indestructible creature removal.

The combo I started up with was [mtg_card="Merfolk Thaumaturgist
"] and [mtg_card=Serendib Sorcerer]/[mtg_card=Sorceress Queen] (as the timeshifted version reminded me of the original) to simply turn those indestructible nasties into 2/0s as often as I liked.
Then I added [mtg_card=Fool's Demise] and things got silly.

I then started expanding upon this, adding all sorts of instant creature removal, like [mtg_card=Assassinate]/[mtg_card=Death Stroke] and reusable power reducers to help with the thaumaturgists like [mtg_card=Despondency]. I even added a [mtg_card=Reveka, Wizard Savant
] so I could kill things I managed to reduce to 2 toughness somehow, and a [mtg_card=Freed from the Real] to make it really annoying and possibly a game ender by making every island I had worth two damage.
Thus the deck became a somewhat creature control one, which killed anything that looked at it funny and stole the juiciest targets available with [mtg_card=Fool's Demise] and then proceeded to beat their former owners with them, with [mtg_card=Enslave] to catch the ones I couldn't quite kill.
I eventually added some [mtg_card=Ersatz Gnomes] after a game in which an ally's managed to let me do the kill & control combo on an opponent's [mtg_card=Akroma, Angel of Wrath] (which I was so happy when I found out it was the first Timeshifted card I pulled incidentally), which I proceeded to beat them to death with.
I did something very similar but I used [mtg_card=Endless Whispers] with added [mtg_card=Bronze Bombshell] antics.

Once used that deck in a 6 way free for all. I got [mtg_card=Reassembling Skeleton] and [mtg_card=Contamination] out right at the start.

The ensuing beatdown I got once everyone else produced enough alternate mana to do something was horrific and very funny.

It wasn't a fantastic deck but it blindsided a lot of people.