How to thrive with a useless talent?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Let's say, hypothetically, I learned what I'm truly good at. Let's also say, hypothetically, it's completely worthless (storytelling, acting, sports, pretty much anything that can't result in a degree that maximizes my chances of getting a job).

How can one thrive with worthless talents?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
Let's say, hypothetically, I learned what I'm truly good at. Let's also say, hypothetically, it's completely worthless (storytelling, acting, sports, pretty much anything that can't result in a degree that maximizes my chances of getting a job).

How can one thrive with worthless talents?
....you do realize, your 3 examples of "worthless" skills, are things that lead to some of the most money rich types of work right? Storytelling (make movies/tv shows, etc, get rich), acting (really? do i have to explain this one to you?), sports (....yeah, next).

You might try actually listing a talent that IS actually useless, but since I personally don't think such a thing exists, I think you just need to be more creative in your ideas of where to use your skill, whatever it is.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Everypony has a purpose, but you can't rush a cutie mark. There are so many things to try, so never give up. The hard work you put into trying to find your purpose will always pay off.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
I can only imagine the dread of the curse of being good at sports, when the world has trully talented people, like the world's fastest clapper: https://www.bustle.com/articles/33672-bryan-bednarek-breaks-his-own-guinness-world-record-for-worlds-fastest-clapper.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
....you do realize, your 3 examples of "worthless" skills, are things that lead to some of the most money rich types of work right? Storytelling (make movies/tv shows, etc, get rich), acting (really? do i have to explain this one to you?), sports (....yeah, next).

You might try actually listing a talent that IS actually useless, but since I personally don't think such a thing exists, I think you just need to be more creative in your ideas of where to use your skill, whatever it is.
Useful talents are ones that maximize your ability to get a good job. Those are worthless because you need to be extremely lucky to not be a starving artist.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Silentpony said:
Everypony has a purpose, but you can't rush a cutie mark. There are so many things to try, so never give up. The hard work you put into trying to find your purpose will always pay off.

The problem is that most get their marks during pre-adolescence to adolescence. I'm 25, and I'm still a blank flank.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
DanteRL said:
I can only imagine the dread of the curse of being good at sports, when the world has trully talented people, like the world's fastest clapper: https://www.bustle.com/articles/33672-bryan-bednarek-breaks-his-own-guinness-world-record-for-worlds-fastest-clapper.
Sarcasm duely noted, but please give a serious answer.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
YOUTUBE!!
Or the internet in general. This is probably the best time to have a useless talent because if you are truly talented, you can throw up a youtube or a Patreon channel and have people throw money at you

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
DarklordKyo said:
Useful talents are ones that maximize your ability to get a good job. Those are worthless because you need to be extremely lucky to not be a starving artist.
You don't need to be extremely lucky, you need to be extremely TALENTED. At the levels of employment you're seeking, the bar is largely much higher than simply being mediocre and chancing into a big break. You have to have stand-out talent in a pool of talented people. What you're calling "lucky" is the easy route and far from the norm; those athletes, writers and actors you cite put in a LOT of work at their crafts and it pays dividends in the end. So before you decide talents are "useless" because gainful employment isn't immediate and guaranteed, decide if they're worth putting in the effort to earn said gainful employment.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
DanteRL said:
Sarcasm duely noted, but please give a serious answer.
Well, I don't have a serious big deal answer. But ok, most things that can grant you a good job can be achieved via studying. So, you know, choose a carrer that interest you, and try it. You might end up changing your mind, but you gotta try. As for "useless talents" do something with them as a side activity. A hobby.

So, I'm good at writing, and I love videogames. Professionaly, I have a government job that don't have anything to do with my degree. As a hobby I started a gaming blog with a friend, we're really at the start, but things happen, and we organized the first gaming event in our town.

So... you know... study something you like. Don't listen to those who try pushing a "safer carreer".

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
Xprimentyl said:
DarklordKyo said:
You don't need to be extremely lucky, you need to be extremely TALENTED. At the levels of employment you're seeking, the bar is largely much higher than simply being mediocre and chancing into a big break. You have to have stand-out talent in a pool of talented people. What you're calling "lucky" is the easy route and far from the norm; those athletes, writers and actors you cite put in a LOT of work at their crafts and it pays dividends in the end. So before you decide talents are "useless" because gainful employment isn't immediate and guaranteed, decide if they're worth putting in the effort to earn said gainful employment.
THIS! You gonna bash your head against a lot of people wherever you go. Talent without effort means shit.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
Happyninja42 said:

And yet millions of actors work all the time, doing regular jobs in the acting business, on small scale projects, and do just fine.

So how about you just tell us what this useless skill is that you have, or is this simply just some weird hypothetical hill you've decided to plant your flag on, declaring some skills to be useless, so you can argue with people who say otherwise?

Because it's pretty fucking pointless to try and actually answer your question without knowing the skill. As the way to move forward isn't just one answer for all skills.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
And yet millions of actors work all the time, doing regular jobs in the acting business, on small scale projects, and do just fine.

So how about you just tell us what this useless skill is that you have, or is this simply just some weird hypothetical hill you've decided to plant your flag on, declaring some skills to be useless, so you can argue with people who say otherwise?

Because it's pretty fucking pointless to try and actually answer your question without knowing the skill. As the way to move forward isn't just one answer for all skills.
To be perfectly honest, I don't know what my talent is. I dunno if I even have anything I'm good at. I was just asking hypothetically.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
YOUTUBE!!
Or the internet in general. This is probably the best time to have a useless talent because if you are truly talented, you can throw up a youtube or a Patreon channel and have people throw money at you
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly lucky enough to even have a chance at even 100 subs (let alone make a decent living despite being a talentless piece of shit, like DarkSydePhil and the like), let alone my lack of talent in anything.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Like Dante said, take a practical job but keep your talent as a hobby on the side. Either way you win then, if you make it then you're golden, if not then at-least you still have a stable job and a fun hobby.

Jan 27, 2011
DanteRL said:
As for "useless talents" do something with them as a side activity. A hobby.

So... you know... study something you like. Don't listen to those who try pushing a "safer carreer".
This is my approach.

I'm good at writing (at least, that's what my small group of fans tells me), but I recognize that breaking into game writing is something that doesn't just "happen".

So, I'm leveraging a second interest of mine, programming.

I'm currently nearly done with a degree in Computer Science (Games option), which I will pursue as my main career. However, I still make small RPGs as a hobby and I show them to people whenever I have the chance, in hopes that I can leverage my way into a writing position.

I almost landed one too. In the end, they went with an actual historian and told me "Dude, we don't want to tear you away from your studies. Finish that degree first. And FYI, this was actually the hardest hiring decision we've had to make. Your writing is great. Keep expanding that portfolio".

So.....Yeah. Find something you like that you're good at that has a reasonable chance of finding work, and apply your main talent on the side until you can break through with it. Above all else, never ever shut up about it. Keep amassing a portfolio, keep signing up to help act in local theater/indie movies, keep writing stuff. Join a local story-heavy LARP to make contact with other people who like stories and improv acting.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
DarklordKyo said:
Happyninja42 said:

Approach it from a different angle. Being a successful Hollywood actor is a long shot. Having a job in marketing or public relations is considerably more achievable and utilizes many of the same skills. Being a good storyteller gives you potential for advertising, speech writing, and law. Think about what the talent you recognize requires and how those requirements might apply to other jobs.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Easy. Easpecially the first few you listed. You make it funny, market it as funny, and people give you money. Also 99% of people are/were useless people. That's why we study. It's not like you know something like medicine out of the womb.

Hypothetically speaking, I think people get seriously hung up on the idea of what natural talents or gifts they have. Most of us get by finding something to study/do, and simply live off it. I think you're shooting yourself in the foot already by pretending you have innate skills at something.

Innate skills (if they exist) are innately disappointing nearly 100% of the time.

Take sportsball, for instance. I was reasonably talented at tennis when I was young ... then I found out I wasn't talented enough to make pro, anyways. Disappointing, though not really because it's not like I had a real shot to begin with. Or at least the vagaries of circumstances not yet apparent.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
DarklordKyo said:
Then ya' gotta get back to crusading, Crusader. Start by making a cartoon map of your town, decide what activities take place where, and start from the top and get going.
Extra points for a jaunty tune.