How Will Shepard Beat the Reapers? (Minor Mass Effect Spoilers)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
How do you think the Reapers will be defeated, considering one of them managed to demolish half a fleet before going down?

Here is my theory: Dark Matter. I've been playing through both games over the past few weeks, and I've noticed quite a few references to dark matter that have no other context in the story. Namely on Tali's recruitment mission and a few galactic newscasts. I feel that somehow, dark matter is going to be weaponized in the game as a means of combating the Reapers with superpowerful weapons.

So that's my pitch, what do you guys think is going to happen?

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Shepard will challenge them to a rock-off, and win with the power of painfully obvious pop culture references.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
In an epic Rock-Paper-Scissors battle that decides the fate of the galaxy.

More seriously I really don't have a clue, but I have a hunch those bugs things from the first game(raka something) might play a role if you spared them. Same might go for those geth in Legion's mission.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
She will find a big red button that says don't push and she will push it and all the reapers will become subservient and work at mcdonalds for the next 50k years.

Really I dont see anyway this is going to end other then finding a magic mcguffen and it somehow beating all the reapers, with the setup the 3rd game has. Really the game should be about organizing the races into a fleet and finding a way into deep space to kill most of them while they are still sleeping, have a few wake up before they are wiped out and have that be the epic final battle, where it takes most of the fleets to deal with a few reapers and one of those reapers is infiltrated and taken down by Shepard's team, while the others are either taken down by similar infiltration teams or blown to hell by dreadnoughts.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
How do you think the Reapers will be defeated, considering one of them managed to demolish half a fleet before going down?

Here is my theory: Dark Matter. I've been playing through both games over the past few weeks, and I've noticed quite a few references to dark matter that have no other context in the story. Namely on Tali's recruitment mission and a few galactic newscasts. I feel that somehow, dark matter is going to be weaponized in the game as a means of combating the Reapers with superpowerful weapons.

So that's my pitch, what do you guys think is going to happen?
I think the power of FRIENDSHIP will win the day!

Ok, I really have no idea. Perhaps guns and explosions

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Worgen said:
She will find a big red button that says don't push and she will push it and all the reapers will become subservient and work at mcdonalds for the next 50k years.
... and they will all look like Justin Bieber.

OT: Shepard won't win. The Reapers will be victorious and humanity is either turned into a Reaper or into a replacement for the keepers. Or both.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Weaponized Dark Matter is a good theory, like whatever it was that was making Halestrom's star die in Tali recruitment mission.

Other than that, guns and 'splosions, like in ME1. Its not like Reapers are invincible, its already been shown they can be killed through conventional means.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I think the player will be presented with a choice of whether to defeat them or not.

Basically, the reapers seem to be the condensed form of every species ever to exist, so that it's basically an involuntary hive-mind in a spaceship. The reapers have been portrayed in a very negative light but that's only because characters in the universe can't comprehend their motivations (a fact which is repeated ad nauseum throughout both games). So what if the reapers are actually just clearing the galaxy and allowing more species to grow, whilst retaining the species that have been formed?

That'd be one hell of an ending. EA better not get their filthy claws into the storyline...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My Shepard is going to have Joker fly him around on the Normandy. When they see a Reaper, Shep will start a biotic charge from the hangar straight into its giant mechanical face.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I have a theory that I think is the most sensible deus-ex-machina:
He/she either will travel to a porthean homeworld and use a maggufin (which can be activated by Mordin's singing(FTW)).
Or
He/She will travel to another galaxy, make first contact, take a weapon and kill them.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Weaponized Dark Matter is a good theory, like whatever it was that was making Halestrom's star die in Tali recruitment mission.

Other than that, guns and 'splosions, like in ME1. Its not like Reapers are invincible, its already been shown they can be killed through conventional means.
Except that it still took a few dozen battleships to take down ONE, and the only reason they managed to take it down was because Shepard blew its avatar to froggy robot bits.

The Reaper in the ME3 gameplay preview takes multiple railgun shots to the hull and it is still moving.

Apr 28, 2008
Going by the marketing, he'll shoot them dead like a badass.

Personally, I'd love it if they forced you to destroy the SOL system to wipe them out. It'd require huge balls on their part, but I'd respect 'em for it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Irridium said:
Going by the marketing, he'll shoot them dead like a badass.

Personally, I'd love it if they forced you to destroy the SOL system to wipe them out. It'd require huge balls on their part, but I'd respect 'em for it.
From the sound of things, the whole game will take place in less than the time span it would take to conquer the Earth.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Yeah probably something to do with Dark Matter, it'll end up being some sort of super weapon that the game pulls out of it's ass three quarters of the way in.

I dunno, i really have a problem with super powerful enemies (or heroes for that matter) in any fiction though.

Probably because they take so long going "these guys are super badass!" and then running into the problem that "super badasses" can't be killed easily, so they just go "welp time to pull out a previously unseen weapon that can 1hit KO these guys"

That's not a critisism towards ME itself but more of a point against super powerful enemies in general. I mean i'm sure it can be done well, but i've yet to see it...

Bioware's better at writing characters rather than writing stories.

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
Personally, I think there are multiple ways you'll be able to kill the reapers, and each will require a certain degree of sacrifice and risk. That just seems Mass Effecty.

OmegaZXA

Mar 19, 2010
If anything, there'll probably be a dozen or so different outcomes based on your choices. After all, why else would they make all those choices if not to DO something with them?

On a side note, does this feel like an RPG version of Halo to anyone else? Guy spends first two games fighting on distant worlds, then has to come home because the big bad found Earth.

OmegaZXA

Mar 19, 2010
AMAZED said:
one possible outcome: think arrival DLC ending
I was actually thinking along the same line when I read all the Dark Matter replies. Just multiply that by (how many are there in our universe?) and it'd probably wipe out the entire Reaper fleet...plus a few galaxies.