How will the recent controversy effect your media consumption?

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
So in light of the recent kerfuffle that's been going on, I've slowly but surely been changing what sites I visit and podcasts I listen to. I don't want this to be a topic talking ABOUT the controversy itself (there are other threads for that) but rather what you plan to change about what you consume.

For example I used to frequent Gamasutra every once in a while. Usually to peruse the Programming section and see if there are any interesting ideas about that side of game development. But unfortunately I have decided to stop visiting the site all together.

A complete list of my changes are :
- I have deleted The Escapist podcasts from my usual listening lists
- I no longer watch some of the videos or read some of the usual columns on The Escapist
- I have stopped all visits to Gamasutra
- I have subscribed to Boogie2988
- I am now watching more of TotalBiscuit to learn about new games
- I am now watching the Co-Optional Podcast for weekly rundowns on gaming news
- I'm going to be researching the Indie Games I buy A LOT more now.

I plan to revisit my feeling on The Escapist after this whole thing has blown over but for now I'm mostly just here for Yahtzee, LRR, Lisa, No Right Answer, and Shamus. I probably will never visit Gamasutra again however.

So what about everyone else? Do you plan to change where you go on the Internet and who you listen to? Or do you feel that none of this warrants a change to your usual routine? I'm interested to know if this is actually going to change what people do.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Well I've never, ever put any stock into reviewers and journalists anyway and always come to my own conclusions about things, so it isn't really affecting me at all. That said, I don't get involved in "gaming news", to be frank. The Escapist is about the only one I frequent, and that's more so I have a place to talk about my video game hobby than anything else. Hell, I very rarely watch any of the official content that is on here, as I'm more a forum guy.

So with that said, my opinion on this topic won't amount for much, but there 'ya have it.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It won't effect me at all.

I generally don't follow specific sites or individuals anyway, I just watch/read things that appeal to me.

Obviously, The Escapist is like my homepage because I use the forums a lot but I don't religiously follow the content of the site, not like I used to anyway.

Critical Miss and The Jimquisition are what I read/watch the most but I haven't watched a Zero Punctuation video for about a year and that's what I came to the site for.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so to summarise, the recent controversy won't affect me at all, at least not by choice anyway.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not in the slightest.

The Escapist is really the only gaming site I frequent, and nothing from the past week has really soured my experience. Sure there's the regular smelly threads, but they've always been around. A tad larger this time obviously.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
I shall continue to play... [b/]Video Games![/b]

[looks at OP] Oh, you mean am I going to stick around the Escapist? Yeah, sure. I mean, all this'll blow over, and then we'll get back to talking about games we like (or don't).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
it won't

because the whole thing was fucking stupid and I fail to see why it managed to garner that many posts in a clusterfuck thread

say what you want about something like the ME3 ending at least people has a tangible reason to be pissed off...at least it was about an actual [I/]game[/I]

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Well... my opinions of Moviebob have changed drastically.
Other than that, not much will change. I'm already a very skeptical person at heart, so I rarely take any news story or review as 100% fact anyway.

This whole thing however, is a perfect example of why the good vs. evil narrative in news is ridiculous. I think we've all seen enough evidence that the poor, defenseless, oppressed female game developers who desperately need shielding because they're just so damn cute and lovely, have a dark side.
I see even the BBC has taken a side, because after all, we're all scum-of-the-earth, basement-dwelling rapists in this story.

Also, harassment happens to a lot of people, I can't help but wonder what made this particular case so interesting it was worth reporting on. One time, I insulted a certain level designer and some board somewhere, and somehow, that didn't lead to an article demonizing an entire community for the sake of propping up somebody who really doesn't need or deserve it.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
It won't since I don't particularly care about it (or most gaming news that isn't actually about a game I'm interested in) and usually decide whether I'm going to get a game by let's play footage and skimming thru random user and journalist reviews. I didn't enough have faith or fucks to give about gaming journalism in the first place for it to be damaged by some stupid controversy and I don't follow anyone in particular enough to get pissed off and ditch them. I don't even know what most those people said about the topic anyway.
I'm here for the forum, Zero Punctuation, Jim and anything else that happens to catch my eye as interesting. The only other gaming sites I go to are ones relating to specific games so don't do broader gaming news.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Eh, not really.

I only visit this site for the forums, and I avoid sites such as Kotaku, Polygon, RPS, and Gamasutra anyway, so this is just all the more reason to keep avoiding them. The sources I get my gaming information from I still trust, and when it comes to independently produced games, I tend to only play Japanese doujin games, so I see little reason to change my media consumption.

Petrae

Sep 1, 2014
-- I unfollowed (so far) about 25% of the accounts that I had been following on Twitter, many of which were gaming press writer or website accounts
-- I've stopped visiting most of the websites that I frequented before this stuff really blew up. I get my gaming news from message boards now, when I feel the need to find out.
-- I've cut back on my social media footprint and have engaged in self-censorship.

Those are the biggest changes.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Just gunna kinda avoid Kotaku from now on.
I rarely read any articles before and it's now I'm not going to read any of em. Might use technoraptor a bit more though.
As for the escapist, nothing has changed. I always used this for forums and Zero Punctuation and neither has been that affected.

small

Aug 5, 2014
I did my own research into the whole conspiracy things and as such:
Nope wont change the sites i visit at all and im hoping that open letter developers have been signing will result in some more diverse and original games.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nothing really since the sites/ channel that were the least legit (Fox) where something I don't watched or listen to in the first place.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
There has been zero change; because this whole debacle has been nothing more than a load of old piss-whiffle. When boiled down, it appears to me as two people who went through a protracted break up with one or both of them deciding to not only surrender the high ground, but actively dive off it while somersaulting. This isn't fucking Watergate people; the kind of 'corruption' that can occur in this side of journalism is so insignificant to the world at large that I'm reminded of a child playing dress ups.

I'm here for Yahtzee, MovieBob, Jimquisition and the occasional forum dive; and no level of masturbatory self importance from anyone involved in this shambles will drive me away. So in the immortal words of Queen Elsa:

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
it hasn't and won't.

The things i like to watch are still here. the forums are still a mess. i don't really see that anything has changed at all.

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
There sure are a lot of gaming sites i will no longer visit after this whole thing, like gamasutra, kotaku etc.
I will watch a lot of new stuff and new sites like gamernosh, totalbiscuit tec.

The escapist is a mixed back here. I will still watch stuff like zero punctuation but everything from bob chipman is off the table. Jim sterling is still somewhat in the grey for me, his last video showed that his point of view is rather neutral even if he still seems to be missing the point on a few things.

But most of all i will be more active again. Last few years i started just lurking more and more. Not create accounts for sites, even if i had an account no t log in, don´t check the forums etc. Lets be honest now adays you need accounts for everything, every game,every site, every frontend. I don´t want to constantly fuck around with 20-30 letter passwords just to watch a video or download a game or just even to play a game.
If this whole thing has made on thing clear to me is that in an ideal world you can leave something like games to themselves because the would try to be equally about everyone.
But thats not the case, a lot of demographics don´t get their share and there are obviously alot of people who bend or break the rules for solely for their own gain. And in that case its up to the gamers to find those people and call them out for it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I will continue to read, listen or watch the content that interests me in a critical way.

AKA: no change.

The gaming press is weak in news stories. Most of it is reviews, which are opinion anyway. People seem to have lost track of the latter part there.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
No change in the slightest.

Why?

Because I simply don't care.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
None at all. Nobody published any articles that offended me or any of my gamer friends. Although there were widespread crybaby claims of "they're saying we are all rapists," none of the actual articles written by the so-called "SJWs" actually lumped me or those people like me in with anyone else. What I saw was a lot of articles decrying the rabid, toxic, and ugly minority of gamers... and pardon me, but screw those idiots. I've seen toxicity on message boards and heard sexism in teamspeak enough to know it exists and happens. I've seen particularly bad representations of race, gender, and religion in enough video games to know the problem exists. And most agree that gaming would be a better place without all that. The people "boycotting" sites and screaming "sjw" at otherwise inoffensive and sensible posts fit into 2 categories. 1- the people who are making threats and contributing to the toxic atmosphere online. And 2- paranoids with a persecution complex. They see the "sjw's" are putting all gamers into one category that needs to be persecuted and eliminated. They see that because that's what they WANT to see. THEY want to be the ones speaking out about the "injustice" being pushed upon them by the "sjw's" and "the media."

When what the "sjw's" and "the media" are actually saying is "It's not good when one person is a douchebag to another. We'd rather the world had fewer douchebags." And I don't have a problem with that. I'm a white male, I haven't been subject to any of the treatment that ladies, gays, or other races have had to endure. But if someone wants to do something to make thier gaming experience as good as mine has been... I don't have a problem with it, as far as I can tell it won't affect my experience in the slightest. "OHHH but they want to fundamentally change gaming FOREVER," cries the paranoids. Good I say. Gaming has changed many times over the years that I've been playing. Somehow it stays fun with every change. I say change away, I'll still play.