How will Yahtzee review Portal 2?

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
He'll definitely mention how it didnt need a sequel until a cliffhanger ending was patched in.

Boom129

Apr 23, 2008
Badly,
One should always assume it will be badly until it is actually reviewed (see Borderlands), and even if he does like it, there's a chance he'll change his mind later (see GTA4)
Besides it will be considered inherently inferior due to the fact that it IS a sequel (see Bioshock 2, also discussed with Dragon Age 2)
You should also consider the fact that, in the end, Yhatzee is a comedian. And (with the exception of Duke Nukem and Painkiller) approval is harder to make funny than disapproval

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
The only negative thing I can point out that maybe he will say. Is that the game tried too often to be funny. And too regularly.
It was like: joke - test chamber - joke - test chamber - joke - "wander off the rails for a while" - joke - test chamber - joke.

He might also give it a hard time on being too long.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
He'll love the game but then nit pick about having to play co-op to find out what the big secret ending is, because we all know how much Yahtzee loves playing with random people he's never meet before.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
He said he'd poke his eyes out if he could say that a game had no problems, and while Portal 2 was good, you can argue that there were flaws. Especially when the game offers co-op who's pacing, while not horrible, isn't as powerful as the single player. Plus people have been upset at the humor being too much, though nothing beats Combustible Lemons by Cave Johnson

Edit:Oh, 1000 posts :D

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
He will review the game with full honesty. It might be blunt honesty but thats how he'll do it.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Personally I'm starting to suspect that he won't review it at all just to piss us off.

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
I think some of the first words will be along the lines of "Excuse me while I dig these forks out of my eyes"... Or the likes

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
FarleShadow said:
Ok, so remember

When Wheatley blows the explosives and you shoot a portal through the roof?
But then later you take an elevator trip to the surface and there is a massive field of wheat, with no indications of holes or cracks anywhere to shoot a portal through?

Yea that. Incompatible.
You're trying way too hard to find a problem with it.
You don't even know that the elevator was in the same room as the place where you fought Wheatley. There wasn't an elevator in that room before, after all. It's rather likely that they took you to a different room that had an elevator and no giant hole in the ceiling.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
MINOR SPOILER:

I predict large amounts of rage about the asinine sections of exploration in between test chambers.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Hey, Yahtzee's last two reviews (Yakuza and Crysis) were both sequels and he gave them positive reviews (well, as positive as he gets). Who knows, he might be on a roll.

But I swear he's gonna tear down the micro-transaction bits of the game. It's hats in Portal, after all.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
He'll moan and ***** about every little thing and then have three sentences of praise at the end, just like nearly every review of a good quality. I'm sick of Yahtzee. He needs a new show...that isnt just nit-picking on games.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
No matter how good he will think it will be,he will still manage to find something to pick on.

Aug 25, 2009
He hates sequels, especially to good games that he feels didn't need sequels, and the one thing he's always said about Portal is that it had an appropriate length.

So an unnecessary sequel to a (allegedly) good game he liked that is three times as long.

I think that's almost every one of his hate buttons pushed, am I the only one with pattern recognition, even when it comes to gamers usual Valve Blindness?

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
Zarthek said:
Personally I'm starting to suspect that he won't review it at all just to piss us off.
This. There're plenty of other games out worthy of his scorn, and he's known for ignoring fanboy review requests.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
A better question would be "Will he review Portal 2?"

I honestly don't know -- it's already been reviewed here, and it honestly doesn't seem like something he'd do (without being begged for several weeks). It wouldn't make for a very funny episode that I can tell, unless he really found a reason to hate it (I doubt that).

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
FarleShadow said:
FarleShadow said:
He'll probably mention that the ending fight and the end video were mutually incompatible.

If you see the ending, you'll understand that.
Wicky_42 said:
I'm... not sure I do 0.o
Woodsey said:
I've finished the game. I can confirm that I haven't got a clue what you mean.
Ok, so remember

When Wheatley blows the explosives and you shoot a portal through the roof?
But then later you take an elevator trip to the surface and there is a massive field of wheat, with no indications of holes or cracks anywhere to shoot a portal through?

Yea that. Incompatible.
Still not seeing the issue - as has been mentioned above, the facility demonstrates the amazing ability to move its components around and rebuild [with nanobots helping!].
When you awaken Glados, there is sky above her - I doubt she let that hole just sit there. Given the other random crap the facility makes, plates with corn already growing on them would be a triviality ;) Plus, of course, you have no idea where the various rooms are, what route the lift takes, or anything else for that matter.

Kinda pedantic to call that 'incompatible', lol.