How would you convince someone the Holocaust existed?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
DracoSuave said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
At this point in history all you really have is the story. The story told by the survivors, the one told by the guards and murders who still live and the one told by the places where human misery was distilled into a currency bartered freely in a bid for power. There is plenty of evidence to be had I suppose but proof? There is no proof of a thing once it happens - simply stories to be believed or discounted. History doesn't seem to care which story people believe.
Stories... and millions of dead bodies science can study in detail forever.
Bodies are just that - bodies. A grim legacy to be sure. Evidence of terrible deeds once done. Sure these bodies can be studied and smart men in white coats can tell you how they probably died horrifying deaths in some camp seemingly built as a monument to all the evil of men. But in the end that is all such things provide: evidence that supports a story.

I was asked for proof and all I can point to is a body of evidence. A body of evidence I see no reason to disbelieve to be certain but perhaps I ask for less proof than some. After all - when handed evidence in the form of the tales from survivors in such a thing, confessions of people no better than monsters from some fable, see the piles of bodies heaped into holes with no ceremony or humanity I tend to find that the most likely explanation is that the Holocaust was a real event. But someone else could be handed the same body of evidence and come to a different conclusion.

And, in the end, if such evidence is insufficient to convince someone of the veracity of the story I believe, what more can be offered?

My point then is simply this: without the capacity to travel to the time and place that such events occurred, without the ability to see for ourselves what happened, all any of us can do is examine the evidence and choose what story we want to believe. And, to be honest, there is some appeal in the idea of being able to deny the Holocaust ever happened. It would be nice to think that people were not capable of such monstrosity wouldn't it?

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Ronarch said:
At that point where evidence couldn't satisfy them there is no point in arguing. They won't be swayed from their ignorance if they won't accept physical proof. It'd be like arguing with a brick wall.
All I know is....If you do some paper work first it's legal to tear down a brick wall...Dammit we need that for people too.

But yeah not gonna happen...And as far as I know it did happen unless its a really big conspeary...but...that...not even...like..lol. Aliens. You can't explain that.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Build time machine. Take them with me back to 1944, find a way to get them put in Auschwitz.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Show them the letters my great grandmother wrote from the ghettos to her children before she was put in a concentration camp. The letters just stopped coming and it wasn't until many years after the war that records were found that showed she had been sent to a camp. After that they can talk to my grandfather's brother or sister so they can recall being forced to wear armbands identifying them as Jews and the last memory they have of their mother is her hiding herself behind a pillar at a German train station so they wouldn't see her crying because she was sending her three children to the UK by themselves for their own safety. She thought she was a bad mother for abandoning them. She saved their lives.

Deniers are scum that need to be locked up and educated on the pain and suffering that was caused by the evil of Nazi Germany.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I wouldn't even try.
I'd just sever any and all ties I may have had with you and act like you never existed.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
How do you convince someone that their belief in one God or another is wrong?

You can't. If someone is that dedicated to their belief, it's impossible to sway their opinion. It's best just to ignore them.

/Prepares flameshield
Blissey used flamethrower[footnote]Yes, you read that right.[/footnote]. It's super-effective! Critical hit!!! Flameshield was ineffective ... One-Hot K.O.!!!

Flamethrower is the boss-est move there is, and Blissey is just fun to play (unless you are fighting machamps), so when ever I get a Blissey, I teach it flamethrower, soft-boiled, a status move and one other move to help me against anything that is super-resistant to fire.

OT: You can't convince an insane person, that is the whole point.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I just don't talk to anyone like that.

I have straight up walked away from conversations with people when they go on about how Bush did 9/11 or the moon landing was fake or the holocaust was fake.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Ronarch said:
At that point where evidence couldn't satisfy them there is no point in arguing. They won't be swayed from their ignorance if they won't accept physical proof. It'd be like arguing with a brick wall.
What this smart person said.

If they've come to that conclusion, I really - REALLY - doubt they were reasonable to begin with. The chances of them being swayed by anything is next to naught.

They really aren't worth the effort.

Kahohess

Sep 12, 2011
Ahh Hitler. So we meet again. Same old tired speech though.
Godwin's point, you lose..

Now, i don't really know what i'll do, probably cry inside, knowing that at some point our education system as failed or something or maybe, i'll enter his game and try to make him doubt just to see...

You know, in their's two things that are infinites, universe and human stupidity... and as fast a science progress go, we are not really sure about universe btw

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
Well, I had to deal with this one. The dude was an Iranian exchange student who believed the Holocaust didn;t happen because that's what hes be taught. Had him do a small research project. had him find out from his own sources how many Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals lived in Germany pre 1935. That he found out pretty easily just be online googling on the info. I had him then do it again for 1945. When the giant discrepancy was noticed I asked him to think about where these millions of people could have went and ot find proof of where they went. After a little searching he admitted he couldn't explain the mass decrease of those population in Nazi held territory. He then researched the trials of former Nazi death camp guards and SS officers and members of the Einzatgruppen (sp?) and came up with the correct conclusion on his own.

Now this sadly won't work on the fanatics like Ernst Zundel or David Irving. I have a sad suspicion unless you somehow traveled back in time and had them watch, nothing will ever change their minds.

Sieggy

Dec 8, 2010
There was evidence that the Holocaust existed, but at the same time lack thereof enough to tell that it was actually a Holocaust.

What's more suspicious is that a lot of European state forbids research into Holocaust history and jailed people because it was 'offensive' or something.

Personally, I don't give a crap. A century old genocide or none is not going to directly effect my life. Yet so much of it was pushed to me I'm fed up with it.

Peter Storer

May 30, 2011
As I read thru this I keep on reading about the extermination of 6 million Jews in Nazi concentration camps. And this was a terrible thing.

What I want to know is why everyone in the world seems to have forgotten that somewhere between 10 and 11 million people were killed in those camps.

Homosexual, Polish, Soviet, Gypsey, Physicaly or mentaly handicapped, are all catergories of people who were subject to exactly the same treatment as the Jews, so why are they completely forgotten when discussing this subject?

Many Holocaust sites and books only refer to the Jews that were killed, giving the impression that the number of Jews killed is the same number as the total number of people killed.

If you are going to show respect to the past, and to the dead, why not show equal respect to ALL of them, not just the ones who got the most publicity.