How would you end Qanon?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
See... You say anti-Semitic but the buzz articles say that qanon believes the supposed child sex ring is run by Satan worshippers. If they're anti-Semitic then why make their enemy Satan worshippers? Isn't this also all tied into the Epstein thing?

At any rate, this seems more like a tiny group of real believers in a conspiracy theory being also turned into a conspiracy theory of a group far larger and more widespread than is actually true.

In other words; qanon conspiracy theorists have created anti-qanon conspiracy theorists of an even greater level.
I mean Q-anon got people elected during the election. Also in some circles Jewish = Satan Worshippers. They're kinda meant to be the same people.
And yeah there are many people who know Q is bullshit, but then we have people like Trump himself saying Q is real and he loves the Q-Anon people, and then those same supporters get guns and start acting as if Q is real. Its basically a cult started by some 4chan users.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
See... You say anti-Semitic but the buzz articles say that qanon believes the supposed child sex ring is run by Satan worshippers. If they're anti-Semitic then why make their enemy Satan worshippers? Isn't this also all tied into the Epstein thing?
Qanon builds on a lot of existing spiritual warfare discourse. Spiritual warfare practitioners think that various social forces and ideologies in the world are the product of demonic influence, this often includes other religions (particularly Muslims, but often Jews) which are seen as covert satanism. The rank and file of these religions might not know, and merely be unwitting pawns of demonic forces, but the religions themselves are evil and "high ranking" Jews are often accused of being secret satanists.

It doesn't help that Trump is really into spiritual warfare, so spiritual warfare practiconers gained a lot of influence and public attention during the Trump presidency.

Whoever is behind Qanon is clearly familiar with and immersed in spiritual warfare discourse.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What is qanon? Looking up the term just gives me buzz articles.
This Cracked article actually gives a really nice description of it.

Repeal Article 230. No social media from Bitchute to Twitter could ever allow that sort of stuff on their platform again without being sued
That would probably just get rid of social media in general. Or at least any site that allows users to post things. But, its also possible we might see sites either be extremely heavily moderated or completely unmoderated, depending on which way the legality of user speech goes and how judges interpret the sites owner as editor. So its totally possible that most sites would throw in the towel and do the unmoderated thing which would allow stuff like this to flourish even more.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's always going to be conspiracy theories, because there's always going to be people who need a big, shadowy cabal to blame all their failures on ("They're just keeping me down because I know the truth!") instead of their own stupidity and inadequacy.

If you gave me a baseball bat and an unlimited travel budget, I could make a dent in it, but it'd never really go away.
"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Well now it's claimed a couple of family members, and not absolute shite ones either, so they've made it real personal. I'm not sure how to pull them out of it, they've been conditioned to not trust any other sources at all, and are now hardcore covid deniers also, as once the main denial/confirmation bias mechanism is seeded, the rest of the flimsy bollocks seems to waltz right in too. It's been a constant concern ever since. I'm no deprogrammer, but I know something gotta be done, otherwise they're lost.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well now it's claimed a couple of family members, and not absolute shite ones either, so they've made it real personal. I'm not sure how to pull them out of it, they've been conditioned to not trust any other sources at all, and are now hardcore covid deniers also, as once the main denial/confirmation bias mechanism is seeded, the rest of the flimsy bollocks seems to waltz right in too. It's been a constant concern ever since. I'm no deprogrammer, but I know something gotta be done, otherwise they're lost.
I don't know a good way to get someone out of something like that, but I will bet we will start seeing more and more things crop up to try and help deal with conspiracy theorists. I mean I think leaving them alone is a bad thing since it allows them to go into their walled off garden of crazy, but actively dealing with conspiracy people is exhausting. Anyway, you might find this article interesting, it from a guy who used to be a '911 truther' and eventually found his way out of it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Qanon builds on a lot of existing spiritual warfare discourse. Spiritual warfare practitioners think that various social forces and ideologies in the world are the product of demonic influence, this often includes other religions (particularly Muslims, but often Jews) which are seen as covert satanism. The rank and file of these religions might not know, and merely be unwitting pawns of demonic forces, but the religions themselves are evil and "high ranking" Jews are often accused of being secret satanists.

It doesn't help that Trump is really into spiritual warfare, so spiritual warfare practiconers gained a lot of influence and public attention during the Trump presidency.

Whoever is behind Qanon is clearly familiar with and immersed in spiritual warfare discourse.
Spirital Warfare Practitioner. SWP. Also known as Regeanism

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Repeal Article 230. No social media from Bitchute to Twitter could ever allow that sort of stuff on their platform again without being sued
I have heard from both sides that repealing it would be good or bad. One side says it would be bad for free speech the other says it would clamp down on racism, death threats, etc.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You're kidding right? There is a common opinion by wackjobs like this, that Jews are actually evil because "They killed Geezus!" , and thus are actual evil minions of, you guessed it, Satan. Because some idiots believe a lot of really stupid things about anyone that isn't their flavor of christian. And that if you aren't christian, you are literally a servant of the devil. Because there is no other variation to them. Ergo, Jews aren't christians, and anyone non-christian is a devil worshipping satanist. So the anti-semitism is pretty expected.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have heard from both sides that repealing it would be good or bad. One side says it would be bad for free speech the other says it would clamp down on racism, death threats, etc.
Well it would mean websites can be held liable for things users say. So, depending on how courts interpret their role as 'editors' you would probably see either heavily moderated or totally unmoderated social media sites. Assuming social media even survives.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015

At any rate, this seems more like a tiny group of real believers in a conspiracy theory being also turned into a conspiracy theory of a group far larger and more widespread than is actually true.

In other words; qanon conspiracy theorists have created anti-qanon conspiracy theorists of an even greater level.
Qanon's kind of a giga conspiracy that connects most other conspiracy theories, and in any case a lot of conspiracy theories end up being anti-Semitic, regardless of how disconnected from the original concept it is or how little sense it makes. Qanon, like a lot of conspiracy theories, often marks out out George Soros and the Rothschilds as being agents of the enemy, ostensibly because they're very rich and influential, but actually because they're Jews. Also, Flat Earth is an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory, because obviously Jews are behind the conspiracy to convince everyone that the world is round. If you have any conspiracy theory that requires a large, secret cabal of people is controlling national or world events, chances are that a lot of it's adherents believe Jews are behind the whole thing. Also the Jews all worship Satan and their agents are all transgender and want to make you transgender with their vaccines/5G/chemtrails.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Huh... I thought Qanon was a website or a forum. Maybe I was thinking of 4chan or something.

Anyway, eh. It seems like its a Trump thing, so once the dude fades into obscurity and/or dies, I'd expect majority of the "believers" to find something better to do with their time.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Give people bread and games. The human mind demands rhyme and reason for things out of their control. Just give them comfort and security with UBI and people will be pacified.

Reactions: Kae

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
In reality, it's probably going to be neither. It's probably going to favour those that litigate most effectively... which means that precedents are likely going to be set by rich people...

Because Dorsey, the Zuck and the Koch Brothers are well know Free Speechers