How would you hold up in a fight?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Not so great.

I'm fairly big and I can grapple. I might be able to hold my own in a one-on-one against someone of similar size.

But against an experienced brawler I would be completely screwed.

Big Bruce

Mar 18, 2011
Screw fighting at school, do not do it. I got into a fight and busted the kid's head open, all the girls posted on their facebook that I was a killer (he was fine after). Nobody will fuck with you, but all the girls will think you're a psycho. I later left that school to leave my bad reputation, mostly due to that fight.

Edit: OT: Just don't do it, if you can hold up or not.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
I'm a Bouncer and have been for 15 years plus,
that with just about every Martial Art under the sun
(Started with Lau Gar Kung Fu at age 6,and took in Ninjutsu,Aikido,Karate and Muai Thai while growing up and moving around the world),couple that with the size,and my big shiny shaved head :) AND(most importantly) the fact that I'm a nice guy in general and it comes down to me tending NOT to get into fights lately(unless its work)...but if the excrement contacts the cooling device i'm pretty handy,and am used to being ganged up on etc,the confidence comes across to an extent that most will pick a different target..but theres ALWAYS an exception to the rules,
Psychology is better than Fisticuffs when you get down to it. :)

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
I'd do pretty badly, since my right wrist is held together with 6 screws and a bit of steel.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
I suppose I would fair well enough in a fight. Within reason that is. Against this years most recent Mr. Universe winner, for example, I would probably not be very successful.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
I'm mean in a fight. i haven't taken any martial arts classes but i'm good a improvising and i tend to attack in ways opponets don't expect. i almost never punch, rather i'll do somthing like grab the throat and push on the wind pipe. i also have no problem with low blows.

That being said, it takes a lot to piss me off enough to want to fight somebody, usally they have to throw the first punch.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
I don't like violence, but in a fight against someone my own size, I think I could defend myself. I've practiced Jeet Kune Do for quite a while now, after a year or two of Kung Fu. (which really is more like dancing, and building up confidence in your body) Jeet Kune Do has actually helped me in a fight. It was late, and I was talking to some friends, when a guy showed up behind me and asked if I had a light. I said no, sorry, in swedish. Seeing as how I live in Finland, and us swedish-talking finns dont always get a warm welcome, so to speak, he started calling me names and tried to pick a fight with me. I tried to calm him down, but he wouldnt stop. So, I turned around and took a defensive stance. I managed to block every punch he threw at me, and after a while he stopped and walked away, laughing and calling me names.

I dont really think I could hit someone as hard as I can punch a punching bag, though. Im very scared of hurting other people. I never get mad, I dont lose my temper, but maybe, if I did, and I really snapped, I could hurt someone. But I would probably feel really bad afterwards. No one deserves to get hurt.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I trained in Aikido for two years and still practice regularly with my brother, so defensively I'd do okay, but it's when I come to actually throwing anything more than a dick punch that I let the team down, but either way I don't think I'd do too badly in a one on one, as long as I pinned my opponent instantly.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It depends. If it was just a random fight then I'd probably get my ass kicked but if the person I was fighting had gotten me really angry I reckon I could do some real damage. I tend to lose all control when angry and don't pay attention to anything but my anger.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
With 2 years of ninjutsu under my belt, I know a certain thing or two.
But that was like 5 years ago and I mostly train in running now.

In other words, I could try to remember a few techniques and try them.
If success: sweet!
If fail: RUN AWAAAAY!

Closet Superhero

May 24, 2009
Against any ordinary joe of my size, I'd expect no problem (2 years BJJ + 1 year boxing/kickboxing).

But I'm sub-70kg and from training with much bigger guys, I know that can be a serious disadvantage. I wouldn't fancy being in a fight against one of those 90kg guys who look like they've played footy for most of their lives.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
Kevonovitch said:
TKD does hold up well, if you know how to apply it ;)
This. Due to the high-speed attacks of your opponents you actually know pretty damn well how to block and dodge and even to anime-style predict. Especially against some douchebag who telegraphs like a... well, telegraph ;). And to hurt someone:
1.spinning kick to knee
2.enemy goes to the ground
3.bashing his skull in (push kick!)
Worked quite nice in 2 real-life situations ;)
You might want to use simple techniques with a low miss-chance (never try kicking a standing guys head, they do not know how to counter properly and will hurt you _both_) use speed to keep and reduce range.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I've only really had one fight and it was years ago, so I'm not sure how I'd do to be honest, I'm tall though so I guess I could use that to my advantage.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Use the envoroment.
If it means I stay alive, I don't mind playing dirty. A well placed rock to the head would probably stop the assualt.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I don't think I'd do that bad. I'm not sure about punching, but I can take a TON of physical abuse (I'd know). One of my friends thinks it's still fun to play punch buggy. In Manhattan. I get hit a lot.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
Where to start...?
Ok firstly I'm a woman, so not as strong as a lot of guys out there.

from experience I'd say I do pretty well against people of all sizes. I've fought a 7 foot tall karate trained man before and still won (though that was sports karate).

I have trained in various forms of karate, aikido, and wu shu all my life (on and off) but currently I do karate with my boyfriend, and the club I'm at is really old-school... we spar without mitts or mats or anything except mouthguards; and I'm always being put against the many blackbelts at my club (I'm not a blackbelt in shotokan). They do not hold back.

At the same club I came third at the UK national tournament in 2009. I could have gone back but I couldn't be bothered (it's my first tournament and it's pretty boring lol).

So I'm fairly well experienced against the 'adrenaline dump' the OP describes.

I've had a few real life fights aswell, the first, when I was very young I was out witha friend in my village, and 2 bullies from the school started giving us trouble. they were both boys so we decided to run (always the most sensible option!) but one of them jumped on my back (the fat one too :/).

Somehow, and to this day i still don't know how... I threw him right over my shoulder so he went arse-over-tit and landed sprawled on his back looking up at me. He was so shocked we just jumped over him on the street and carried on running lol. I don't know what the other guy had been doing all this time (obviously I had my back to them) but I never did get any trouble from them again... They wouldnt even look at me.

More seriously, when I was about 17/18 I had a guy pull a knife on me outside a youth centre, I managed to floor him in one hit but I really held back... I felt very calm and measured throughout the whole thing, it's weird how much detail you take in with situations like that.
Anyway as soon as he was down I legged it once again lol. (discretion is the better part of staying alive!) Soon as I was clear I rang the police and he later got arrested... so all's well that ends well.

What I still remember is when I was running away, I was deliberately running at a reduced pace so I wouldn't tire myself out in case I needed to fight him off again; I was also watching the shadows on the floor from the streetlights... You know how someones shadow is really long at night? well I figured i'd see his shadow behind me to give me good warning.
Also when I made the call to the fuzz It was from down a long open street with only 1 way in and an escape route planned in my mind lol, so I could see him from a long distance.

Oh and the 'fight' took place in front of a bunch of people from the youthclub, so I got a bit of a rep afterwards lol (some of them jumped on him after id floored him so I'm very thankful to them for that).

Moral of the story? avoid fights all you can :p

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I'd get my ass kicked. That's not to say I wouldn't try though. I am in shape but have no experience fighting and don't care to have any.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
It depends on the opponent. If it were an average human or so, I'm quite sure I could destroy him as I grew up fighting a lot of dickheads. And my father taught me a couple of tricks.

However, against a martial artist? I don't know. Fought against one before, but he wasn't very good... If the opponent would be arrogant, I'd try to get in a quick pre-emptive strike, preferably an open palm strike aimed at his nose. If he was on guard and woulddn't be underestimating me, I'd try to first figure out what martial art he practices. Because nowadays, most of them are sports which means there are rules, which means there are things he might not be prepared for. So if he were a boxer, I would probably try to kick his knee from the side with a low kick, hoping that I could impair his movement.

You really never know until you are in the situation. But against most, I believe I would win.