Howard the Duck Returning to Comic Stores Next March

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Howard the Duck Returning to Comic Stores Next March

Marvel has announced a new Howard the Duck comic series featuring writing from Chip Zdarsky and art from Joe Quinones.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/howard%20the%20duck>Howard the Duck is an interesting character. One of the more unique creations to wander the Marvel Universe, he's been around since the early 1970s as a force of satire and parody in a world full of serious superheroes. Sadly, while he gained a strong core of fans among comic readers, his mainstream reputation has gained a huge black eye thanks to the widely panned 1986 film based on his adventures. Most recently however, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/9657-A-Look-at-the-Howard-the-Duck-Movie>Howard was the subject of a cameo at the end of Marvel's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/9622-Who-Was-That-At-The-End-of-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy>Guardians of the Galaxy. Perhaps sensing that modern moviegoers might be a tad curious about who the heck the talking duck was, the company has now announced plans to launch a new comic series focused on him.

The new book will feature writing from Chip Zdarsky (Sex Criminals) and art from Joe Quinones. Speaking in an interview about the new Howard, the two described their intention to create a version of the character who exists primarily as an outsider. "I love the contrast of Howard against both the normal world of us hairless apes and the weird worlds of Man-Things and Dr. Stranges and Spider-Mans. Cause he doesn't fit into either, really," said Zdarsky.

He said that his main goal is "to continue exploring those contrasts" while ultimately delivering a book that's funny. "I want to jam-pack these issues with tons of jokes and action and weirdness." Quinones also spoke about his desire to create a take on Howard that's less "Toon Town" and a bit more realistic. "I wanted Howard to get away from the giant cartoon eyes," he said. "Howard should be able to sit in the same panel as Rocket Raccoon or Spider-man, and not have it look like Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

All in all, it sounds to us like the makings of a solid reinterpretation. Granted, the duo probably could have gone full-on bizarre with Howard (he is a talking alien duck, after all) and still have done a good job. We can say with some certainty though, that we're looking forward to seeing how Zdarsky and Quinones' more down-to-Earth Howard fares when the series launches next year on March 4th. If nothing else, it can't be any worse than the movie.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
i wonder how much input the creator of Howard the Duck, Steve Gerber, has on this comic?
He's been dead for about 7 years, so hopefully not a lot.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Pseudonym2 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
i wonder how much input the creator of Howard the Duck, Steve Gerber, has on this comic?
he can can back as a zombie if he tried hard enough.. but seriously, i didn't know he was dead... guess marvel was waiting till he died to bring back his character and not have to pay Steve Gerber

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
If that is a picture of him in the OP's post then colour me satisfied. He looks much less Disneyfied and much more visually palatable as a character given the setting. As long as the humor is not an all brooding reinterpretation like Lobo then I might purchase a few issues.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Just keep it funny and light and i'm sold. I've had it up to my eyebrows with gritty "realism" in comic books!

Banjo-Kazooie Blue

Sep 24, 2014
I'm disappointed about their attitude about making him too "toon town" Howard is supposed to be a parody of cartoon anthropomorphic animals, primarily Disney characters. Now that Disney owns Marvel I thought now more than ever was a great opportunity to go all out with the obvious Disney parallels. I was actually hoping for some references to Actually Disney characters and locations, Maybe seeing Scrooge McDuck's Money bin in the Background as he's being pulled into the Marvel Universe. I guess they're concerned that all the people that were scared Disney was going to turn the Marvel Universe into nothing but Pixie Dust and rainbows might have seen this as a sign they were right all along. Maybe in a few more years people will warm up to a more Disney inspired Howard.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
What the hell is different about comics these days. Just looking at that single panel, it looks so freaking fake, I don't even know what it is. It just seems plastic and phoney compared to the comics i used to read as a kid.

Am I just old or is something actually different?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Honestly, I don't think talking to a Ouija board for an hour could be a worse direction than many of Marvel's decisions.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Pseudonym2 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Have you forgotten about Marvel Zombies? He could still be working for them; they feed him interns for page art.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
the antithesis said:
What the hell is different about comics these days. Just looking at that single panel, it looks so freaking fake, I don't even know what it is. It just seems plastic and phoney compared to the comics i used to read as a kid.

Am I just old or is something actually different?
Coloring techniques. They've changed a lot.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Howard The Duck in Avengers 2 or 3. Calling it now. This is to get us ready for his inclusion in the MCU.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
crazygameguy4ever said:
Pseudonym2 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
he can can back as a zombie if he tried hard enough.. but seriously, i didn't know he was dead... guess marvel was waiting till he died to bring back his character and not have to pay Steve Gerber
Actually Howard the Duck never left, he was in Heroes Reborn, Civil War, Secret Invasion, and formed a team with She-Hulk in Fear Itself.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
DeimosMasque said:
Actually Howard the Duck never left, he was in Heroes Reborn, Civil War, Secret Invasion, and formed a team with She-Hulk in Fear Itself.
Howard the Duck was the ONLY good thing in Civil War.