Humble THQ Bundle Waves Bye-Bye to Indie - UPDATED

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well certainly is an interesting why for THQ to try and make some money. I imagine anyone who bought they any of these games in the steam sale is kicking themselves now.
Man! I just bought Saint Row: The third in the steam sales!
I feel your pain, the same happened to me with Botanicula.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
This is good but it has me wonderign about THQ. will it affect any of the future games.

also not many talk about company of heroes As a RTS player i think its the best one out there it has many methods of playing. reading on here that not many have even given it a go kinda makes me well a little mad. It is wonderful game awesome GFX good community and online experiance (if you avoid The sheldt and Hochwald gap maps)

Also another thing about it is that it has the Germans from WW2 and they are not portrait as super evil or even narzi's.
it has done a wonderful job on that well deserving of merit.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Well certainly is an interesting why for THQ to try and make some money. I imagine anyone who bought they any of these games in the steam sale is kicking themselves now.
Man! I just bought Saint Row: The third in the steam sales!
I feel your pain, the same happened to me with Botanicula.
Oh well, I gave SR3 to a friend. He is loving it

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Indie, no. Humble, absolutely.
THQ is on the ropes. And this is as close to a "Please, customers, save us" as I've ever seen.

If I didn't own then all (each for more than they're asking) I'd be tempted to pay the going price, just out of goodwill.
Also, 'cause Homeworld 3 must happen.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Amazing bundle, although I already have Darksiders (pre-purchased it) and all of Company of Heroes (bought the base game twice, one retail, one Steam), I guess I'll handle them $10 for Saints Row 3 and also Red Faction Armageddon looks like fun, also let's hope they release the Dawn of War games, especially Space Marine *cross fingers*.

Apr 28, 2008
88chaz88 said:
Irridium said:
Not really "indie." Like, at all. Oh well, it's neat that these games will be on Mac and Linux, since the humble indie bundle requires the games to be cross-platform! Oh, Windows only... kind of lame. But hey, big AAA games DRM-free! After all, when the bundle first launched, the co-founder, Jeffrey Rosen, said he's willing to tolerate piracy numbers, and remained adamant that the games be DRM-free. He even said the following: "When considering any kind of DRM, we have to ask ourselves, 'How many legitimate users is it OK to inconvenience in order to reduce piracy?'" he wrote at the time. "The answer should be none." So yeah, big AAA games DRM-free! That's awesome!

Wait, it requires Steam? Well, Steam is pretty convenient as far as DRM goes, but it's still certainly more inconvenient than "no DRM at all."

I mean, it's a damn good deal and all, but it still seems kind of... opposite of what this bundle was apparently intended to do. Bring not-so-well-known indie games into the public eye for a low price, cross-platform compatibility, and no DRM. This bundle does none of that, apart from the low price.
I love how fail to mention the charitable part of HumbleBundle.

But no, screw charity, we need DRM free indie games!
Your'e right. The charity is still there. That's definitely a good thing. Wish there was still a way to give the money to the people who made the game though, since most of the creators have either been let go or moved on, doing that is out of the question.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
While I'd love to get it, I can't, hate that there's always some problem with payment methods. Also, I'd love to pay as much as the average for these, but money for games is not exactly a given for me at any given time.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
FelixG said:
Well, I already have most of the games, but I want those soundtracks!

I guess I will be opening a steam trade thread a week or so after this closes!

And I have to laugh at all the people whining that its not indi..
Just a quick note, the soundtrack for Saints Row 3 is really bad since most of the "good" stuff is licensed by several artists; for example "Power" by Kanye West, and they aren't part of the soundtrack. It just contains some of the really generic background stuff.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Assuming default split, THQ has nearly a million bucks now.

Not bad, all things considered.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I have been wanting some of these games for a while I am glad I did not get any of it in the last steam sale :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
FelixG said:
Well, I already have most of the games, but I want those soundtracks!

I guess I will be opening a steam trade thread a week or so after this closes!

And I have to laugh at all the people whining that its not indi..
Actually, if you pay less than a dollar, you get the soundtracks, but no games.

Of course, why would you do that and be a cheap bastard? :p

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I am a bit since I got company of heroes and the expansions. Soooo glad I passed up on Metro 2033, I paid over the average and it was only £3.87 once it came back to british monies.

Bargain. :3

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Mentioned this bundle to my girlfriend, describing to her how it came about from originally being indie developers and what an awesome deal it usually is while helping charity at the same time. She had already bought and was downloading before I was even finished talking to her.

I highly recommend this bundle for Saints Row 3. It's probably the most actual fun I've had within a game in a long, long time.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
88chaz88 said:
I love how fail to mention the charitable part of HumbleBundle.

But no, screw charity, we need DRM free indie games!
Yes, because it's not like people who want to give money to charity can just make a donation directly to Child's Play or one of the many other, far more important causes out there like AIDS research or digging wells in African villages or whatever. No, buying games from the Humble Indie Bundle is the only way to do good in the world.

Bleh, I say to you. Bleh.

Aariana

Apr 10, 2010
I bought it. Twice, actually. Would have been a third but my boyfriend already has most of the games. No interest in about half the games, but honestly I don't really care. Even getting Darksiders for a few dollars is worth it to me (never did try that game). I just left it at the default split, however, so I can't remember how much of that would be going to THQ. The BF is probably ecstatic now cause he'll be able to teach me how to play Company of Heroes.