Hypothetical technology you couldn't adjust to.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
A few years back my family bought my 80 year old grandfather a computer; he'd never used one before, and when he received the gift - in spite of all our encouragement and joyful faces - he refused to take it. He wanted nothing to do with a computer, or any sort of technology more complex than a television.

Part of me found this highly odd at the time, especially living in an era of such constant and impressive technological advancements. 'Why wouldn't you want to try something that the current generation is so fond of?' I thought to myself.

But recently, after reading a curious science fiction novel, I found myself sympathetic to my grandfathers views.

In the novel (The light of other days, by Arthur C. Clark and Stephen Baxter) a method of looking into the past is discovered. Not time travel, but an actual window into time. Now, initially this sounds like an amazing discovery; we can establish truths in a muddy history, watch the rise and fall of dinosaurs and dynasties, view pinnacle moments in our past.

And then the reality hits you.

You can view anything from the past.

Anytime, anywhere. You know what this means? It means if your neighbour is a pervert, he can watch when you undressed last night. Rabid fans could watch their favorite stars make love. Every single embarrassing and personal moment of your life is available to anyone with the inclination.

So wrap your head around that - the fact you're potentially always being watched. The people in the novel couldn't handle it. The paranoia pushed some so far as to live completely covered/hidden/in the dark. But then there were those who embraced it; made houses out of glass and walked around naked - no point hiding anything at this point, right?

The thing is though, the children born to that generation were raised knowing nothing but that kind of world, where everything is watched. They grew up without shame or embarrassment, uncaring of wandering eyes or the judgement of older generations. (Which is truly how I'd imagine the world should be). They didn't understand why their elders were so self-conscious.

When I think of the future, and attempt to theorize the crazy technological advancements we'll make, I like to think I'd be open to it all; being born in a time of constant change probably helps. But this book struck a chord with me... Even attempting to be open minded, I'm not sure how I'd cope with living in a world like that - where everyone could see everything you do and have done. It'd be such a drastic change from the life I have now.

Anyway, long story short, it got me thinking; is there some sort of technological advancement or a great change the next generation is simply born into, that you don't think you could come to terms with or accept?
Be it something as widely detailed as cybernetics; humans being implanted with technology used to enhance or correct the body (yay for Deus Ex!) - to virtual reality hubs that allow us to explore the world safely, removing the inclination to actually go outside and see things for ourselves.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
You won't ever get me to use e-books so you don't even need hypothetical technology for something i won't ever adjust to. I like my reading material in paper, thankyouverymuch.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
not having physical copies of my games...

yeah I dont like digital distribution...so what *grumble*

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
not having physical copies of my games...

yeah I dont like digital distribution...so what *grumble*
This disturbs me somewhat as well. What if Valve goes out of business? Then what happens to all my games on Steam? Looking ahead at the more distant future that is, in the near future that's not likely to happen. And having a physical copy makes it really feel like you own the game to me...
hopefully they'll do somthing where you can back it up to a physical copy and wont need the internet to use it...or somthing to apease us stubborn gamers,

like how they had those first DVD players that also played VHS

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
generals3 said:
You won't ever get me to use e-books so you don't even need hypothetical technology for something i won't ever adjust to. I like my reading material in paper, thankyouverymuch.
books I can get..kind of

but comics...nah physical copy is just the way it should be (or why the hell dont the stores ahve volume 1 of freakangles??!!)

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
generals3 said:
I will have to agree with you there! Nothing quite like holding a book in your hands. Plus I take some silly pride in my bookshelf setup :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
generals3 said:
books I can get..kind of

but comics...nah physical copy is just the way it should be (or why the hell dont the stores ahve volume 1 of freakangles??!!)
Well I'm not all that stubborn since I've given in and I get things on Steam due to the easiness of it all, plus the sales they have. But it just is something I think about occasionally.
...o.0 youv'e bought stuff on steam?

TRAITOR! get out...NOW!

kidding, Ive bought DLC online..because...well its DLC, (and for some reason my downloads have a habit of corrupting) anyway Ive always bought PC games retail because Ive had no other choice (you cant buy credit for steam like you cAan PSN-oh wait I mean "SEN")

while mabye I wouldnt be so fussed if digital distribution actually WAS an option (hell Ive bought music that way) its more like you said, the line between ownership is blurred

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
generals3 said:
books I can get..kind of

Well I'm not all that stubborn since I've given in and I get things on Steam due to the easiness of it all, plus the sales they have. But it just is something I think about occasionally.

TRAITOR! get out...NOW!
D=

kidding, Ive bought DLC online..because...well its DLC, (and for some reason my downloads have a habit of corrupting) anyway Ive always bought PC games retail because Ive had no other choice (you cant buy credit for steam like you cAan PSN-oh wait I mean "SEN")
Yeah, you kind of have to get DLC online, unavoidable there XP

I don't think you can buy credit for Steam, but then I never looked. And why do you have no other choice?

no credit card or anything.....I havnt quite aquired all the Items to qualify as "adult" (that and drivers license)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
generals3 said:
snip.

TRAITOR! get out...NOW!
D=

snip

I have a debit card which I use for everything (its not like I have my money under my matress and I pay for everything in cash) also yeah..I should get my license, though even if I did it would still be more convineint to take the but to work

I figure there are enough things I want in brick/mortar shops and Im trying to save money anway

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess it's online shopping. Yes I know there are alot cheaper and better deal but I still like phyiscal interaction of visiting a store, seeing a phyiscal copy of the product and buying it. Before you asked, no I don't encounter much problem with it come to bad service.
Going to buy something is one of the reasons for me to go outside in the place and not being stuck indoor all the time and becoming more unfit.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nope, I'm looking forward to all the new toys. No amount of time will hinder that fact.