Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Looks pretty cool. But I wasn't really able to get into the warriors game on the wiiU. Probably because I burned myself out hardcore on Dynasty Warriors back in the day... But.... if I had a switch I would certainly give this a go.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks pretty cool. But I wasn't really able to get into the warriors game on the wiiU. Probably because I burned myself out hardcore on Dynasty Warriors back in the day... But.... if I had a switch I would certainly give this a go.
Well if you ever decide to get a Switch, both games are on the console. HW: Definitive Edition with improved framrate and the bonuses from both Wii U and 3DS version. And of course Age of Calamity.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well if you ever decide to get a Switch, both games are on the console. HW: Definitive Edition with improved framrate and the bonuses from both Wii U and 3DS version. And of course Age of Calamity.
It's always tempting to get one but I would mainly want it for Bayonetta 3 and we still don't have much news about that as far as I know.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's always tempting to get one but I would mainly want it for Bayonetta 3 and we still don't have much news about that as far as I know.
Tell me about it. 3 years and still nothing to show. Why do the Japanese almost always show or announce their games way too early. The Western side does it too, but nearly as much by comparison. I got the Switch mainly because I knew most of the games I played and enjoyed on Wii U would be on Switch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As someone who likes Legend of Zelda(mainline games, don't care about the spin-off games) but has never played a Dynasty Warriors game(I understand the idea and I've seen some gameplay footage), would I likely enjoy this(and the previous game) anyway?

Because I got this new Switch as an early Crimmis gift, you see......

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As someone who likes Legend of Zelda(mainline games, don't care about the spin-off games) but has never played a Dynasty Warriors game(I understand the idea and I've seen some gameplay footage), would I likely enjoy this(and the previous game) anyway?

I think you would enjoy both Hyrule Warriors games. Unlike the original dynasty warriors series, the Zelda spin-off games actually play better than the OG games. what's even better is that the maps are smaller compared to Dynasty Warriors. Most of them are not overly large and do not outstay their welcome. You can even switch between characters on the same map in both Hyrule games. I do recommend you grab the games and give them a spin. if you have to choose between one, I recommend you just get Age of Clamity right now. The newer game definitely has improvement in combat and sub weapons that flow with it better.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Well, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of the Zelda franchise. I've played it since back in the OG days, but i fell out of using Nintendo decades ago. I don't dislike the franchise, but I also don't chomp at the bit when Zelda news comes out. Also, having played a few Dynasty Warrior games, and being of equal opinion of them, "they are fun, but nothing I'm obsessed with" I did enjoy the Hyrule Warriors game. The first one that is. You don't really need to know anything about the franchise, just like you really don't need to know anything about the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms to enjoy DW. It's a massive army brawl game, with champion battles tossed into the mix. It can get pretty tense as you are running around, claiming checkpoints and the like, and it can be really viscerally satisfying, to come charging into a battle line, like the proverbial cavalry to save the day, and unload an attack ability on a horde of enemy troops, breaking the enemy advance, and hearing your troops cheer as you join the fray.

So yeah, it can be a lot of fun. I'd call it popcorn fun, you don't have to be invested in the story to enjoy the mechanics, but if you do, it's probably even more fun. I'll probably get more personal enjoyment from Age of Calamity simply because I did play BotW, and so I'll be reasonably familiar with the players, and the story, more than the original Hyrule Warriors.

I'm probably getting it for Xmas, as my brother has insisted on buying me something, so I just said "ok fine, get me this"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Can you change the language to the Japanese dub, by the way? Because it looks like this game is using the same really, really awful, bad English dub voices from Breath of the Wild. If I never have to hear Zelda's weird 'hot potato in the mouth' voice again it'll be too soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can you change the language to the Japanese dub, by the way? Because it looks like this game is using the same really, really awful, bad English dub voices from Breath of the Wild. If I never have to hear Zelda's weird 'hot potato in the mouth' voice again it'll be too soon.
Yes.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes, I long for the old days where they were all voiced with high pitched screeches and wails, that sounded like someone was strangling a dolphin while pushing them through a blender. Truly those are the better days of voice work in the Zelda series. :p

While I agree her "breathy high pitched" tone was...odd, I still prefer the fact that she actually had a voice, compared to previous ones where it would just be guttural sounds and grunts.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From playing the demo and seeing some cut-scenes on YouTube, the voice acting is fine for me. Just regular fine. It ain't Metroid Other M or the bad voice dubbing from the 90s and early 2000s. I'll do my playthrough in English, because I prefer Warrior style games that support them. The only time I had to play one of Omega Force's games in its native language was Samurai Warriors 4, because they never bothered localizing it. Plus, I am listening instead of just trying to read the subtitles or miss out on a key objective, because busy whacking around (phrasing) a bunch of guys and gals.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yes, I long for the old days where they were all voiced with high pitched screeches and wails, that sounded like someone was strangling a dolphin while pushing them through a blender. Truly those are the better days of voice work in the Zelda series. :p

While I agree her "breathy high pitched" tone was...odd, I still prefer the fact that she actually had a voice, compared to previous ones where it would just be guttural sounds and grunts.
Well, I wasn't really comparing it to older games, though I don't know which games you're refering to that had high pitched screeches and wails.

And if I had to choose between her current English voice and no voice, I'd choose no voice. Though I'd rather just have good voice acting, which the Japanese dub thankfully provides. It also makes the king sound like an actual old man, rather than a 25-year old barely trying to sound old.

And this isn't necessarily me being all weeb about dubs. Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses had excellent English voice work (except for Mercedes), and Breath of the Wild and Age of Calamity sound like elementary school plays by comparison.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just bumping the thread. I got the game for Xmas, and I'll be letting it update after putting in the cartridge.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Got this one for christmas so I'll be checking it out this year. Probably not in the next month because I've got some other things lined up once I finish Dark Souls 3 but still looking forward to playing it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finally managed to play this and I did half of chapter 2. This game is fun. Similar to the last game, every character plays different from each other and has their unique move sets and special abilities. I am already loving Urbosa's charge lightning mechanic and Impa's shadow clones. Mipha I've unlocked too and she plays like a better, much improved version of Ruto. As far as the divine beast sections goes, they're...ok. I've only played one so far, but they usually come after beating a stage (that can be lengthy) and they end up being glorified semi-on rails, vehicle section. I've only played one so far (Mipha's stage), but it works fine. All I know is that it controls worse if you put on the motion controls and gyro aiming. Thankfully, I always go with standard controls, so I never ran in to this issue. I'll finish Chapter 2 later. Big note: I reccmoned doing side content as you will get either more materials or upgrades to certain characters depending on what it is. You can also dump materials and rupees(depending on what it is on the map icon) in to certain places like shops or farms for example. There is also training you can unlock on the map early on to practice everyone's move sets too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm on chapter 4 currently, but I'll do the main quest later. Right now I've been doing side missions. You will need to do side missions and game wants you to so you can level up your characters and get more items. It's very important to unlock shops to get more material, so you can unlock more moves, hearts, or special gauges for each character.

My favorite characters to play are definitely Urbosa (she is so fun to do perfect dodges with) and Impa. Link has the most weapon variety as he can wield hammers, spears, axes, and clubs, etc. There is a parry mechanic for sword and shield characters, Link and Urbosa, can only do. Press LZ + Y just before an enemy attack lands and you can parry to stun them and weaken there stun gauge further. God, I am loving the mechanics of this game.

He's also the only character where you can customize is outfits. There is a dye shop you can later unlock and change the color of all of his outfits with a cost. The only thing that sucks is that you can't keep the colors you already bought, and if you want to change or go back to the original color, you have to spend rupees. That's stupid and adds nothing.

Hey, @happyninja42, have you started playing yet? Let me know if you have any question. I'll answer the best I can.