Hyrule Warriors is Coming to Switch...and it has really annoyed me!

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I love Hyrule Warriors! I've put in hundreds of hours to that game and I still love playing it. I've got a hell of a lot to do with the adventure mode maps, getting everyone to max level, making awesome weapons and other things. I was very much bummed when the 3DS version got some exclusive features like Linkel's story, Wink Waker map and other things becasue I'd have liked to give them a go but didn't want to have to buy the game again and start from scratch on the 3DS. It's now been revealed the game is being ported to the Switch and it will include all the DLC content that was exclusive to the 3DS version.

Maybe I'm just being petty but I'm really annoyed that I bought the special edition on release day (the scarf is really comfy) and bought all the DLC yet get shafted becasue I can't play a lot of contect other people are now getting with the bog standard package.

Feb 26, 2014
Jim actually mentioned this in a video he released today about the new Blazblue game having half it's roster held off as DLC. The existence of complete/GOTY editions devalues the standard edition and every game and it's grandma has one. From an economical standpoint, it's better to just wait for the completely inevitable Complete/GOTY version to come out, because for $60 you'll get what was once a $100+ value. Also, the game is 3 years old now. Buying the game used and most of the DLC would still cost someone jumping on now $60.

It is pretty shitty making DLC exclusive to a specific system, though. Especially when both are part of the Nintendo family of systems.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
i'm not going to pick this up unless i see it dirt cheap in the bargain bin. hyrule warriors was fun but it was pretty mediocre overall.

i might pick up the DKC tropical freeze port though. the game was pretty fun but i never got around to finishing it because at the time there were too many platformers and i wanted to spend time with other genres. i keep hearing how amazing DKC TF was though so i might pick up the port so i can play it on the go and actually finish it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
this is the gamble with early adoption. Always a risk involved and we cannot lean trustfully on the winds of fate

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
This should mean that they shoot themselves in the foot, with people becoming wary and waiting for the ultimate final complete GOTY edition..
But as we saw in another thread here recently. People have all sorts of excuses for why they can't wait to pre-order a game and/or buy season passes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
i'm not going to pick this up unless i see it dirt cheap in the bargain bin. hyrule warriors was fun but it was pretty mediocre overall.
Is it possible for a Warriors game NOT to be? These games are like the store brand potato chips of videogames.

Feb 26, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:
This should mean that they shoot themselves in the foot, with people becoming wary and waiting for the ultimate final complete GOTY edition..
But as we saw in another thread here recently. People have all sorts of excuses for why they can't wait to pre-order a game and/or buy season passes.
Yeah, but waiting for the Complete/GOTY edition requires people to buy the game anyway. If a game isn't successful, it very likely isn't getting any re-releases. There's also the fact that over time the value of a game drops, so even without a complete edition, eventually those who wait will be able to get everything for the base price of $60 ($20 on the game used and $40 on the season pass). The GOTY/Complete Editions also lose value, so someone can pay $20 for what others paid $60-100 for. And anyway, I want to support the games I like. I just don't want to support shitty and/or predatory business practices.

Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
Is it possible for a Warriors game NOT to be? These games are like the store brand potato chips of videogames.
Yup. Bland tasting and full of artificial crap, but, somehow, I'm still addicted. There's just something so satisfying about slicing through thousands of peons like butter.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
It's really not a game with the kind of quality I need for as long as that BASE content goes honestly, I certainly feel the wasted money because it's both a complete edition featuring all the content including 3DS limited alongside being on a system you have both home console and portable advantages. A quick warriors game of a map or two is perfect pick up and play, what does confuse me is....I've heard much more praise sent to Fire Emblem Warriors due to having multiple playable characters on the field, the ability to send units some form of instructions and generally....being a game built for Switch. It makes me concerned FE is getting pushed out of any sort of light it had for quite frankly the inferior title game wise. Roster though I'll give Hyrule Warriors, fuck FE roster hard.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I've seen some Warriors games' gameplay and they all look SOOO boring. Mash the same button or two and win the game.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Captain Marvelous said:
Jim actually mentioned this in a video he released today about the new Blazblue game having half it's roster held off as DLC. The existence of complete/GOTY editions devalues the standard edition and every game and it's grandma has one. From an economical standpoint, it's better to just wait for the completely inevitable Complete/GOTY version to come out, because for $60 you'll get what was once a $100+ value. Also, the game is 3 years old now. Buying the game used and most of the DLC would still cost someone jumping on now $60.

It is pretty shitty making DLC exclusive to a specific system, though. Especially when both are part of the Nintendo family of systems.
But how are we to know which version will be the "complete" version? Some games have had so many iterations/released/bundles (look at games like Skyrim) that it gets to the stage where, if you want to play a game, you have to take the plunge eventually whether or not you know/think another version will become available later on. Some people probably got the 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors thinking that would be the final/complete version yet now there's a new version to put their's to shame (even the New 3DS couldn't exactly run Hyrule Warriors the way it was intended)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Arnoxthe1 said:
I've seen some Warriors games' gameplay and they all look SOOO boring. Mash the same button or two and win the game.
It's God of War or DMC, only the empty space is filled with bad guys who only exist to fill your special meter.

It's also, largely, a territory control game.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
I haven't really played any of the regular Warriors games but, in terms of Hyrule Warriors, saying it's a case of 'mash the same button or two and win the game' is like saying any 2D side scrolling game is just a case of 'move to the side, jump occasionally, win the game' or any FPS is a case of 'walk down a corridor, shoot some guys, win the game'. Granted, in Hyrule Warriors you can end up using the same combos a lot but with everything else that's going on I found playing it to be quite addictive.

Feb 26, 2014
PureChaos said:
Captain Marvelous said:

But how are we to know which version will be the "complete" version? Some games have had so many iterations/released/bundles (look at games like Skyrim) that it gets to the stage where, if you want to play a game, you have to take the plunge eventually whether or not you know/think another version will become available later on. Some people probably got the 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors thinking that would be the final/complete version yet now there's a new version to put their's to shame (even the New 3DS couldn't exactly run Hyrule Warriors the way it was intended)
You can't, really. I guess it all depends on how long you're willing to wait. Armed with the knowledge that just about every game is going to get a complete/GOTY edition, will you wait for the complete edition, or will you buy it early? I've never really regretted purchasing a game that was later released in a complete edition, so I've never felt frustrated by others paying base price for what I paid $60-100 for. If I liked the game, I'll probably get the new version and if I didn't I just wouldn't care.

I'm assuming Hyrule Warriors has no way of transferring progress and/or levels from the Wii U version to the 3DS and It'll probably be the same for the Switch version.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That's early adoption for you. I bought XCOM 2 on launch, my best friend got it for twelve bucks in Humble Bundle monthly because she waited.

Patience is a virtue. There will ALWAYS be GOTY editions of something down the road. So unless you utterly NEED to have something, it's in your best interest to wait for that GOTY edition.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
Yeah, but it had Link on the cover, you see?

As for the topic, that's pretty much a dick move by Nintendo, or any company that pulls that sort of crap. The least they could do is make the 3DS exclusive content available for the Wii-U through a DLC patch.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
The worst version of this is Mario Kart 8 having a gimped Battle Mode on the Wii u, there is no reason why the Wii U version couldn't have been updated to have the Mario Kart 8 battle mode.

Although, I wish their was a Smash bros Complete on one disc even on Wii U because the amount of space the DLC takes up on your system.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
kilenem said:
The worst version of this is Mario Kart 8 having a gimped Battle Mode on the Wii u
Wii U had nothing to do with the "gimped" battle mode in Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart's battle mode was perfected in Double Dash and has been shit ever since Mario Kart DS.

Mario Kart 8 DX was just Nintendo FINALLY bothering to fix the battle mode they fucked up a decade ago.

Mario Kart 8 DX battle mode is basically just a modern version of Double Dash's battle mode which is fantastic.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Hate when developers/publishers do this crap. It's downright disrespectful toward people who purchased it on Wii U. Exclusive content on specific consoles should NEVER be a thing.

4ged

Jun 20, 2011
lol was there even a reason to buy a wii u in the first place, for that matter what is Nintendo going to release after the switch? I've just kinda noticed that the release of consoles by Nintendo seems to be a competitor for the last generation in the cycle, like the wii u could have maybe done well against the ps3 and the xbox 360 if it was launched against them but the wii originally didn't do that well, though i think Nintendo was just playing a long game and was trying to tap the normie market so its a different ballgame there but the wii u was strong enough hardware wise, and the switch seems to be strong enough against the ps4 and xbox1 launch hardware but the pro and 1S where its launch competitors, now Nintendo has affirmed my decision to not touch the wii u with it porting all those game to the switch, maybe I will buy a Nintendo console at launch when they finally use full sized cd/dvd/bluerays/diskformatofthefuture.png
but until then I'll pick up a switch when there cheep around the ps5/xbonedx like i did with the wii, early adoption is a loosing game so I'm not playing till there out of beta hardware products launch.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Mad World said:
Hate when developers/publishers do this crap. It's downright disrespectful toward people who purchased it on Wii U. Exclusive content on specific consoles should NEVER be a thing.
But who owned a Wii U? It was Nintendo's worst console excluding the Virtual Boy.