I am a feminist....and this is hilarious.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Following the outrage started and perpetuated by our gloriously delicious internet community that never seems to run out of different angles to ***** about, I've repeatedly come across the same anti-feminist comments that usually permeate the arguments surrounding 'female gamers/journalists/anyone that dares to be female'.

So why is it funny?

Because Feminism and social justice movements/almost anything non-cooperative to the norm that's done by a feminist are to Gaming...what Gaming and school shootings were to the media/news outlets just a few years prior.

I don't think I need to go over it but can no one remember how people and every media outlet took the piss out of gaming because 'it caused violent behavior', 'its addictive', 'its a murder simulator'?

And almost every time, what was our answer?

'This is a person who plays video games, that just happened to shoot up a school'.
'Gaming doesn't cause violence'

Now, as if forgetting that we were in basically the exact same place quite some time ago, we judge feminism by its few idiots we see that get attention from the media because clickbait and proclaim - almost proudly even - that it is absolute evil. Maybe less here and more on (certain sub-reddits of)reddit, 4chan and the inescapable troll black-hole that is Youtube, but the point stands.

Now, you can argue all different levels of stuff but the fact of the matter is that feminism is not inherently by its own merits evil.

'Prove it'.

Replace just about any anti-feminism argument with any radical movement over the past...forever and its history repeated.

A list to get you started:
Gay marriage
Black president
Woman (running) for president
Black people being allowed to vote
Sex changes
Gaming.
Muslims
Immigrants/illegals
the mentally ill

Now, I'm not stating that you can't be 'against' or 'non-supportive' or 'neutral' to feminism.
Obviously you, as a living breathing individual (man, woman, child, grown up or anything in-between or nothing at all) are entitled to your own opinion. But attempting to blame one group for all the problems is....unrealistic to say the least.

And of course, because someones going to post it eventually...
#notallfeminists

Now, why am I posting this here? If it's not one of the 'more feminist bashing' places?
Well, for starters for conversation. The more you talk about something the more of an impact it leaves.

Secondly, I want to ask you if you've seen any anti-feminist postings or comments on the internet pertaining to the recent....Zoegate as some have called it.

And finally, I want to assure myself that I do in fact spend time around rational human beings when I'm on the internet. Not many. Just a few.

'Capt'cha : Which of these trash bag products are you most likely to use?'

Ruffles. For the jimmies.
P.S. I'd like to point out I was a gamer before I was a feminist, I didn't just jump in with this mentality of my form of feminism, I developed it while being painted by and with gamer culture. I only say this because people keep separating the two as if someone can't be both or as if someone can't be a gamer that eventually became a feminist, whilst retaining their 'gaming' roots. Like all hours they spent gaming and all knowledge of the games they loved got zapped out of their heads after they read their first pro-feminist words.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
can I just say that the feminist "cencorship euqlity quota" concil [b/] doesn't exist?[/b]

[b/]and will never exist[/b]

but yeah it REALLY does not have to be the end of all good things if you suggest women don't get the best representation in media

its not a controversial standpoint, we all need to collectivly chill

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I am a Yakobist and I really need more publicity for my movement.

I'll say what I've always thought: people will react to any movement in a number of ways, ranging from dismissive contempt of this newfangled nonsense, through valid disagreement with certain points all the way to outrage at fanatical sub-branches. As time passes and everyone comes to realise that said movement isn't going to destroy us all, the more idiotic dissent will simmer down. Now to put down my disclaimers so no-one will yell at me....*

As for Zoegate, I literally only just became aware of that and I'm willing to bet millions of imaginary dollars that a certain chunk of the internet's fury stems from: "Ha! Fucking knew it, fucking Feminist gets called out on what she is!"

*Legal disclaimer: I am not saying that every single movement is worthy of respect, I am not saying all movements must be accepted, I am not saying you must pick a side right now: I'm saying these things have a pattern involving vocal minorities of loud idiots of all beliefs.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Angelblaze said:
And finally, I want to assure myself that I do in fact spend time around rational human beings when I'm on the internet. Not many. Just a few.
That imply's human being are rational. That's not assurance that's self delusion.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I know the feeling. I'm still trying to scrape together exactly what the fuck happening with Zoe (It looks like there's a lot of misinformation on both sides, but it looks clear that Zoe doesn't exactly have clean hands), but some people are just eager to blame feminists for anything nowadays.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Vault101 said:
can I just say that the feminist "cencorship euqlity quota" concil [b/] doesn't exist?[/b]

[b/]and will never exist[/b]

but yeah it REALLY does not have to be the end of all good things if you suggest women don't get the best representation in media

its not a controversial standpoint, we all need to collectivly chill
I'd say the anger issues come from the notion that, unless these arguments are extremely carefully worded, they can come across with a whiff of accusation: "Are you having fun ogling and killing women in this game?" (Obviously paraphrased). That, and reasonable and intelligent articles are drowned out by inflammatory garbage like Cracked's "Why Bioshock Infinite is Sexist" (turned out that it was because there are "no" strong female characters and you can shoot at women).

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
The sudden and gigantic amount of rage that suddenly seemed to come out of nowhere on that one story is kinda baffling. I've been a gamer all my life and I somehow only picked up on the existence of all this anti-feminist anger within the last 2 years or so.

Also, c'mon people! A 34 page pile-up over the alleged sexual misdeeds on an internet feminist? Really?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Feminism the source of problems with gaming? Nah. I'd say game publishers, journalists, developers, and our fellow gamers do way more damage.

Feminism is more of an annoying buzzing in gaming's ear, like fanboys or people that Mass Effect 3 threads.

Also note when I say feminism I don't mean people that think there's a lack of female representation. If that was all that's ever implied, only the deepest pits of MRA hell would be upset.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dragonlayer said:
I'd say the anger issues come from the notion that, unless these arguments are extremely carefully worded, they can come across with a whiff of accusation: "Are you having fun ogling and killing women in this game?" (Obviously paraphrased

it actually anoyes me people feel the need to jump on the "taking it personally" bandwagon...Ive seen it happen in other discussion...like when discussing QCOP evens {queer people of color) the comments by white people somtime seem to be [i/]youre all making me feel left ooooooouuuuuut
when they are missing the point

[quote/][/I] That, and reasonable and intelligent articles are drowned out by inflammatory garbage like Cracked's "Why Bioshock Infinite is Sexist" (turned out that it was because there are "no" strong female characters and you can shoot at women).[/quote]

I dont remember that article....but REALLY?

Elizabeth is a strong female charachter in that she has personality/development and shit....I can [i/]sort of[/i] at the least understand that its still somthing of a "dad-bro protector" type thing going on...but even then I'm not sure I care

as for the female enemies...Bioshock infinite is the LAST game I ever expected to see female cannon fodder...and you know what? I think its awsome

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
The_Kodu said:
The issues is there's a clear disconnect. It would be nice to see people come out from the feminist community against their own nutters far more often rather than make posts like this.
]
you know I get the impression your definition of "nutter" would be incredibly mild compared to whats in the spectrum of feminist veiws

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Feminism, or at least some perceived notion of feminism, seems to be the current boogeyman according to quite a few people in gaming.

I might dress up as the embodiment of feminism for Halloween, chase people around and try to censor them, watch people shit themselves in fear.

I will say though, I fucking wish feminism and feminists had even half the influence that some people seem to think that they do. I think some people on this forum just appear to lack a bit of real-world perspective.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
I might dress up as the embodiment of feminism for Halloween, chase people around and try to censor them, watch people shit themselves in fear.
hmmmm...I'm thinking short hair, hair legs, a unibrow with a great big axe that says "dick chopper-offer" on the blade...

or is that to cliche? do we need to go more fantastical? perhaps some kind of vengful banshee spirit? I think shreiking eather way

[quote/]I will say though, I fucking wish feminism and feminists had even half the influence that some people seem to think that they do. I think some people on this forum just appear to lack a bit of real-world perspective.
[/quote]
shhhh you'll frighten people with that kind of talk

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
Colour Scientist said:
hmmmm...I'm thinking short hair, hair legs, a unibrow with a great big axe that says "dick chopper-offer" on the blade...

or is that to cliche? do we need to go more fantastical? perhaps some kind of vengful banshee spirit? I think shreiking eather way

[quote/]I will say though, I fucking wish feminism and feminists had even half the influence that some people seem to think that they do. I think some people on this forum just appear to lack a bit of real-world perspective.
shhhh you'll frighten people with that kind of talk[/quote]

An axe is too obvious, I need something more subtle. Feminists are sneaky bitches, you see.

Yes, though, the legbeards will definitely need work.
Which is convenient because winter will be here soon and that's "it's too cold to shave my legs" season for Colour Scientist.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
An axe is too obvious, I need something more subtle. Feminists are sneaky bitches, you see.
a vagina shaped butterfly knife!

I'm sure Etsy will have something

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Vault101 said:
Colour Scientist said:

shhhh you'll frighten people with that kind of talk

Yes, though, the legbeards will definitely need work.
Which is convenient because winter will be here soon and that's "it's too cold to shave my legs" season for Colour Scientist.[/quote]

Aw, DAMMIT, the ONE time I needed those photos of my cousin attacking members of her family with a battleaxe in a very warrior-princess fashion...

Well, you could try garrote wire made up entirely of hair collected from used fedoras. Would that do the trick?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
What you need is one of those cigar trimmer things.

You could wear it on a chain, like a soldier's dog tag.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
What you need is one of those cigar trimmer things.

You could wear it on a chain, like a soldier's dog tag.
]
you know I could almost see that happening....