I am absolutely flabbergasted

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
AtheistGuy said:
You shouldn't fear biologist who are creationists. There are plenty of them in today's science and each of them come up with genuine arguments as to why evolution doesn't exists.

we're supposed to be in an age of acceptance but once someones opinion is different all hell brakes loose.

I'm a creationist, does that mean I'm stupid. I don't believe the Earth was made in six days nor is it only 6000 years and most biologists who are creationists say the same thing.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
-NOM NOM NOM TASTY SNIPPAGE-
Yeah I can agree totally with that, so many people seem to follow things for the stupid reasons rather than ACTUALLY thinking it out... a fine example are the so called '99%' they go on about taxes and other rubbish I don't really listen to be, but there are plenty of GOOD reasons they could be doing what they're doing, they just never use them.

Sometimes I think people use the worse reasons not because they're stupid but as some form of advanced trolling where they make everyone else mad because they think they're stupid. Or maybe they just watch fox news - who knows eh?

Anyway, have a nice day - thanks for being polite and all! :)

meow

Jul 8, 2011
Not to sound like a terrible person but i honestly think we need a shit storm of crap to come down like ww3 or something for people to stop being such dumbasses.

Edit: also to thin the masses

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Kezboard said:
That is why I only associate with computer scientists and chemists. They may be batshit insane, but at least they're not dumb. (Exept for the idiots, of course, but you'll find those anywhere.)
Hey, I'm a biology student and so are a number of my friends and none of us are creationists or similar. Don't judge our whole group on one idiot who evidently isn't a real biologist if he goes into science with pre-formed conclusions, a real scientist will follow the evidence alone.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
You shouldn't fear biologist who are creationists. There are plenty of them in today's science and each of them come up with genuine arguments as to why evolution doesn't exists.

we're supposed to be in an age of acceptance but once someones opinion is different all hell brakes loose.

I'm a creationist, does that mean I'm stupid. I don't believe the Earth was made in six days nor is it only 6000 years and most biologists who are creationists say the same thing.

Name one creationist biologist. Please. I asked for them ages ago and nobody could give me one.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
I believe in evolution but I argue, The Bible only says that God created man in his image but whos to say that God doesnt look like a monkey????

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
GraveeKing said:
Personally I get flabbergasted when I see this.
See - the thing is, I usually complain about how overly politically correct we always are, but this worry's me quite a bit. See - the fact a future scientist isn't allowed to believe in a theory (which it is - YES I KNOW IT HAS A TON OF PROOF BUT really it's the entire principle the matters!) is kind of why there are so many annoying things, because just a few people cannot be asked to take an opinion.

I mean hell - a LOT of people have a mixed between evolution and creationism - myself included and you may find this for a lot of the people here *cough second comment*, i.e - the fact evolution makes sense - of course! - but sometimes it leaves holes and there's still a hell of a lot of other things to consider.

Still, the rest of what you said makes sense - with all of the fox news on TV, people do tend to get their mind blown, I mean hell you can only take so much stupidity before your mind explodes, but hell - it's political correctness and the right to strange views that makes us as a society today... or you lot at least, I'm British and would probably rather go under a police state than have to listen to fox news here! XD
Genuine question, what exactly are the alternative theories to evolution?

Because if we're consistent in the definition of theory (referring to scientific theories as it's used to describe evolution, a scientific theory) then I can't think of any alternatives.

Creationism isn't a theory. It's neither falsifiable nor verifiable and as such is not a theory.

Don't get me wrong, you've got a full right to your beliefs and I respect that. But creationism simply isn't an alternative to evolution if we're talking about theories.

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

Name one creationist biologist. Please. I asked for them ages ago and nobody could give me one.
Henry M. Morris is a biologist who wrote a book called "Scientific Creationism"

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

So... how are you a creationist if you don't believe those things? Do you not believe evolutionary theory (which would make you stupid) or just believe in intelligent design?
Thank you for proving my point with the whole "Do you not believe evolutionary theory (which would make you stupid)" Not all Christians believe the Earth was made in six days. In the Bible it says one day is equal to a thousand years. It might not have taken a six days or six thousand years but the point is that I believe in intelligent design through God and I don't see why that makes me stupid.

Herr Uhl

Sep 25, 2010
Jmurray21 said:
Are they field biologists or what? If you say that evolution doesn't exist to a microbiologist you'd get laughed at.
Jmurray21 said:
There is a difference between a biologist and a civil engineer.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

Funny thing is I looked him up yesterday in my research (Layperson thing. I heard about him and wanted to check out his credentials.) He has a Ph.D. in hydraulic engineering. This is by no stretch of the imagination, a biologist. On top of all this he is a christian apologist who blatantly sets out with a conclusion in mind and ignores anything that contradicts him.

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Jmurray21 said:
SirBryghtside said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

So... how are you a creationist if you don't believe those things? Do you not believe evolutionary theory (which would make you stupid) or just believe in intelligent design?
Thank you for proving my point with the whole "Do you not believe evolutionary theory (which would make you stupid)"
To me, evolutionary theory being true - at least, the idea of mutations causing animals to form - is as simple a fact as 1 + 1 = 2 - we're seeing it today, there's bucketloads of evidence, etc. I'm not saying that it'd make you stupid for thinking an outside mechanism affects this process, but... what you're saying is pretty much that someone shouldn't be considered stupid because 'in their opinion' 1 + 1 = 3.
Not all Christians believe the Earth was made in six days. In the Bible it says one day is equal to a thousand years. It might not have taken a six days or six thousand years but the point is that
Um... thanks for stating the obvious?
I believe in intelligent design through God and I don't see why that makes me stupid.
It doesn't. That's what I said.
Never had this much quotes before. It's an odd feeling

I'm sorry, miss read your post with the 'stupid' comment. I get a bit fired up at times. I believe in intelligent design but not in evolution and I can understand that to some of you that's a bit off. I'm just not convinced by evolution. I did biology in High School to learn more about it but I wasn't convinced by the theories they put forward.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe in evolution.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
jelock said:
I believe in evolution but I argue, The Bible only says that God created man in his image but whos to say that God doesnt look like a monkey????
That, sir, is brilliant.

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

Funny thing is I looked him up yesterday in my research (Layperson thing. I heard about him and wanted to check out his credentials.) He has a Ph.D. in hydraulic engineering. This is by no stretch of the imagination, a biologist. On top of all this he is a christian apologist who blatantly sets out with a conclusion in mind and ignores anything that contradicts him.
My mistake then. I read his book a while ago and it wasn't brilliant but I assumed he was a biologist. Sorry about that.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

He's not a biologist. He got a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and a Ph.D in hydraulic engineering. Impressive but not biology. Furthermore Creation Science is not science. There are 8 creteria which must be met for something to be called science. Creation Science fails 4 of them.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:

My mistake then. I read his book a while ago and it wasn't brilliant but I assumed he was a biologist. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. We all make mistakes.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
EDIT: My post is just discussing a side topic of the original post. Please ignore it if you are looking for discussion on the main religion topic. Sorry.

Truth be told, in British Columbia, Canada, there is a city right next to Vancouver that has a legal, government owned clinic where you can pay to do certain drugs "safely". You pay a certain amount, they give you the drug, and the utensils needed, and they supervise you take it. Weird, but I guess if they can do it just in there and not anywhere else, it supposedly benefits everyone. Though, the details are VERY sketchy right now.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
There's a word you don't hear every day. Anyways low-content post or not this story must be told.

Today I met a couple of students. Their majors were in biology, just like me. Yet when I heard them talk it was the most astonishing thing I'd ever heard. And I listened to Kent Hovind. The guy thinks we should keep drugs illegal because the dirty (Mostly counterfeit) money it brings in is, in his exact words, "helping the economy". The other one was complaining about the "Hard" curriculum, and grueling hours. This coming from the person who hadn't shown up for FYIS in almost a month. She kept whining about how they wouldn't hold her hand throughout the entire lecture.

It seemed like they were forced to sit through a week of FOX news and doomsday preachers because they kept going on about how this is the worst generation , and how the world has gone to shit. World war III was thrown in there somewhere. But the real kicker is when I asked them a question so simple, there should have been no need to ask it. "Creation or Evolution"? The one that skipped constantly gave an answer you'd expect, the other one (Mind you biology major) said "Creation of course". Asking me the same tired question you hear from the less creative creationist crowd. "Where did you come from? And what about your mom? And her mom? Who made them?" I was at a loss for words. I had no choice but to get up and leave the room (Professor was 30 minutes late. Rules said I could go at that point). If this is even part of the next generation of biologists I pity the world.

EDIT: We are all in our first year. None of us have taken a biology course yet. It doesn't come up till the second year.
I'm with you there. But here's an argument for you. Anyone who says, and who created that? And that? Sets themselves up for a collosal beatdown. Namely: Who created your God? At which point, they have to acknowledge, by their own logic, that a God created their God, so on, ad infinitum. Once you've done that, you've reduced their argument to the point where no God is worthy of worship, because there's an infinitely divergent series of ultra powerful gods, each one more powerful than the last, but not one all powerful or omnipotent.

Hopefully, on the path to becoming biologists, they'll tend towards atheism. It's the rational result of increased education on the matter. And if they don't, then they'll know enough to keep quiet about their beliefs in a scientific setting.