I am absolutely flabbergasted

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
erto101 said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
You shouldn't fear biologist who are creationists. There are plenty of them in today's science and each of them come up with genuine arguments as to why evolution doesn't exists.

we're supposed to be in an age of acceptance but once someones opinion is different all hell brakes loose.

I'm a creationist, does that mean I'm stupid. I don't believe the Earth was made in six days nor is it only 6000 years and most biologists who are creationists say the same thing.

Name one creationist biologist. Please. I asked for them ages ago and nobody could give me one.
Henry M. Morris is a biologist who wrote a book called "Scientific Creationism"
He's not a biologist. He got a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and a Ph.D in hydraulic engineering. Impressive but not biology. Furthermore Creation Science is not science. There are 8 creteria which must be met for something to be called science. Creation Science fails 4 of them.
There really is no need for your post. AtheistGuy corrected me, I said sorry.
Secondly the reason I started talking about creation science is because AtheistGuy was talking about up coming biologist who believe in creation. I try not to get involved in these threads because they always feel like flame wars. Anyways I'm off to play New Vegas. I got an exam soon and I'm getting fidgety

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Coldster said:
Truth be told, in British Columbia, Canada, there is a city right next to Vancouver that has a legal, government owned clinic where you can pay to do certain drugs "safely". You pay a certain amount, they give you the drug, and the utensils needed, and they supervise you take it. Weird, but I guess if they can do it just in there and not anywhere else, it supposedly benefits everyone. Though, the details are VERY sketchy right now.
Wrong thread? I mean I like the idea. I think it's how drugs should be dealt with. But this isn't the place.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
So (s)he is stupid because (s)he's a creationists? I'm flabbergasted by your intolerance.

"But the real kicker is when I asked them a question so simple, there should have been no need to ask it"

Ugh, Why ask a question for wich you are set in an answer? To prove how stupid they are?

ninetails593

Nov 18, 2009
Evolution: The belief that the nothing exploded and designed your circulatory system

Creation: The belief that the invisible wizard in the sky made nothing explode for no reason, then designed your circulatory system.

We are just a ridiculous species, eh?

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
esperandote said:
So (s)he is stupid because (s)he's a creationists? I'm flabbergasted by your intolerance.

"But the real kicker is when I asked them a question so simple, there should have been no need to ask it"

Ugh, Why ask a question for wich you are set in an answer? To prove how stupid they are?
Let's put it this way.
Should we be tolerant of people who study advanced mathematics in college, who think arithmetic is incorrect?
Evolution is as scientifically proven as something can be - if you've studied science, *biology*, to the point that these people have, and don't agree with evolution, yet continue to study biology, then yes. You are stupid.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
AtheistGuy said:
Coldster said:
Truth be told, in British Columbia, Canada, there is a city right next to Vancouver that has a legal, government owned clinic where you can pay to do certain drugs "safely". You pay a certain amount, they give you the drug, and the utensils needed, and they supervise you take it. Weird, but I guess if they can do it just in there and not anywhere else, it supposedly benefits everyone. Though, the details are VERY sketchy right now.
Wrong thread? I mean I like the idea. I think it's how drugs should be dealt with. But this isn't the place.
Well it looks like the main topic has already been discussed thoroughly so I thought I would expand on the minor topic the OP mentioned about the guy who thinks drugs should stay illegal. I thought it was an interesting topic. Overall, ya this is probably the wrong thread to discuss it. =/

I'll just edit my original post. Thanks.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Coldster said:
AtheistGuy said:
Coldster said:
Well it looks like the main topic has already been discussed thoroughly so I thought I would expand on the minor topic the OP mentioned about the guy who thinks drugs should stay illegal. I thought it was an interesting topic. Overall, ya this is probably the wrong thread to discuss it. =/

Make a new thread about it. I'll be the first to respond.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
AtheistGuy said:
Coldster said:
AtheistGuy said:
Coldster said:

Make a new thread about it. I'll be the first to respond.
*yawns* Its getting late for me. Maybe I'll make it tomorrow or something. That way I will have more time to do extensive research on the subject to improve my knowledge. I follow the six "P"s: Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. =)

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
MaxwellEdison said:
esperandote said:

Let's put it this way.
Should we be tolerant of people who study advanced mathematics in college, who think arithmetic is incorrect?
Evolution is as scientifically proven as something can be - if you've studied science, *biology*, to the point that these people have, and don't agree with evolution, yet continue to study biology, then yes. You are stupid.
The question is, they believe in evolution in what degree? If they believe that the first humans were adan and eve and that dinousaurs didn't exists then yeah that pretty contradictory but some that believe in creation might believe that God triggered the big bang and everyhing else evolved from there, after all the bible was written by men not by god.

Asking a creationists to prove themselves right is as stupid as the "Where did you come from?" argument because in the end you can't prove God neither you have to, it's something you believe.

What irritates me the most is atheists calling stupid poeple with beliefs when is not of their fucking bussines. (As ironic as it is that it irritates me)

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
AtheistGuy said:

Its a flaw of the western education system tbh. We get used to the same format and even in college (your high school) I personally was never asked to write anything longer than 3 pages (hand written mind none of that small computer text). We were never really asked to do independent study.

Then I hit uni and within 4 weeks Id been asked to write 2 2000 word essays, fully referenced. It wasnt hard stuff but given how coddled we had been it was difficult to really know where to start. Id never written anything that long in my life and I sure as hell had never referenced anything.

Fortunately my college (High school years 16-18 that is NOT attached to any lower years in any way, as a pose to a 6th form college which is attached to a high school) promoted discussion groups in class do to relatively smallish classes so unlike many students my independent thinking was well above par.

Its the dark side of national league table to track school grades. You get the kids to pass, fastest way to do that reliably it to just tell them the answer and move on.

I dont really understand the work load bit though. My hardest years with the heaviest workload in education were my 3 years in college (16-19 cos I failed a course my first year) and I'm currently doing an MSc.

As to the religious aspect, its possible to believe in a god without being ignorant. If she starts claiming the earth is only 4k years only though I may be forced to violence. I study oceans and geo-science and I have emphatic prove that thats bull.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Historical Geology-First Year-Second Semester.
We had a graduate teacher that day since the professor was out and eventually the topic went into evolution since determining ages of rocks and formations has a huge dependency on fossils. He asked if anyone actually believed in evolution and only one person raised his hand, me. It was really shocking considering to be a geologist you have to believe in evolution to explain strata age. Hell, one guy said that he believed the Pacific ocean was only about 7 thousand years old.......ow.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
twaddle said:
TL,DR....

Kidding. Personally believe in both creation and evolution. Anyhow yes our generation is getting worse, but not completely. I think we just have more distractions than previous generations and more publicly known ways to spoon feed the masses their daily bowls of stupid.
I dotn think we are getting worse..I just cant belive such a thing when its what we have been saying since the start of time

I mean christ..a few years ago I was in the "worst person ever" age range (14-16) and I turned out perfectly fine...as did alot of people I know

dont knwo how old your are Im guessing you too are in the "worst generation ever" group..and you seem perfectly fine....or what? you (and everyonee else ) thinks thye exempt from the "rules" of being an awfu; person because they are young?

anyway those poeple were fucking idiots..no nicer way to put it

Squigie

Nov 20, 2009
esperandote said:
The question is, they believe in evolution in what degree? If they believe that the first humans were adan and eve and that dinousaurs didn't exists then yeah that pretty contradictory but some that believe in creation might believe that God triggered the big bang and everyhing else evolved from there, after all the bible was written by men not by god.
Creationism is not a belief in a creator. Creationism is the belief that insists on a literal interpretation of historical and scientific facts in a book which contradicts itself before the end of the second page. (Yes, really.)

Evolution has nothing to do with the existence or nonexistence of a creator, it simply describes the function of genetics. Even if God plunked down all of creation 6,000 years ago evolution would still describe the function of genetics in His creation, and even that scenario would still not be a compromise between evolution and Creationism. (That scenario would be more like The Super Matrix.)

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
AtheistGuy said:
There's a word you don't hear every day. Anyways low-content post or not this story must be told.

Today I met a couple of students. Their majors were in biology, just like me. Yet when I heard them talk it was the most astonishing thing I'd ever heard. And I listened to Kent Hovind. The guy thinks we should keep drugs illegal because the dirty (Mostly counterfeit) money it brings in is, in his exact words, "helping the economy". The other one was complaining about the "Hard" curriculum, and grueling hours. This coming from the person who hadn't shown up for FYIS in almost a month. She kept whining about how they wouldn't hold her hand throughout the entire lecture.

It seemed like they were forced to sit through a week of FOX news and doomsday preachers because they kept going on about how this is the worst generation , and how the world has gone to shit. World war III was thrown in there somewhere. But the real kicker is when I asked them a question so simple, there should have been no need to ask it. "Creation or Evolution"? The one that skipped constantly gave an answer you'd expect, the other one (Mind you biology major) said "Creation of course". Asking me the same tired question you hear from the less creative creationist crowd. "Where did you come from? And what about your mom? And her mom? Who made them?" I was at a loss for words. I had no choice but to get up and leave the room (Professor was 30 minutes late. Rules said I could go at that point). If this is even part of the next generation of biologists I pity the world.

EDIT: We are all in our first year. None of us have taken a biology course yet. It doesn't come up till the second year.
They sound like bell-ends. Force-feed a copy of McMafia to the one who thinks that keeping drugs illegal makes a contribution to the economy. Highlight sections showing the spiralling costs of fighting (and losing) the drug war and the effects of corruption on governments, especially in the 3rd world. Follow up with Freakonomics. If books aren't his thing, just point him to the Extra Credits video on Call of Juarez, it's packed with fun snippets about the horrific "externalities" of the illegal trade in drugs.

It sounds like the other is suffering from the steep curve between school and university. In the former, you are told what to say, what to think, and how to answer questions. If you absent yourself, people care. If you fall behind, your teachers will ensure that you catch up, as it is their legal duty to educate you. In university this all changes.

OP, you sound like a bright guy. If your campus lets these people in, you need to rise above them and distinguish yourself. It may help you to work out how to argue coherently with them, but in the end you aren't there to elevate them. You're there to get a degree. You owe it to yourself and whoever is assuming the financial burden of your education to rise above. With any luck you'll be marked on a bell curve and their stupidity will make you look all the better for it.

Bobic said:
How does a biologist study biology and not believe in evolution. Isn't that like me (a physics graduate) believing that the world is 6000 years old and orbited by the sun?
Hey, I did a Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology with a classmate who was a massive racist. That's just as weird. Some people have that weird cognitive dissonance thing where they can study something, then disengage their brain for the rest of the time.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
You shouldn't fear biologist who are creationists. There are plenty of them in today's science and each of them come up with genuine arguments as to why evolution doesn't exists.

we're supposed to be in an age of acceptance but once someones opinion is different all hell brakes loose.

I'm a creationist, does that mean I'm stupid. I don't believe the Earth was made in six days nor is it only 6000 years and most biologists who are creationists say the same thing.
Creationist means you believe in the six days and the earth is only 6,000 years old. Since you don't believe that you are not a creationist, you are religious

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Jmurray21 said:
Never had this much quotes before. It's an odd feeling

I'm sorry, miss read your post with the 'stupid' comment. I get a bit fired up at times. I believe in intelligent design but not in evolution and I can understand that to some of you that's a bit off. I'm just not convinced by evolution. I did biology in High School to learn more about it but I wasn't convinced by the theories they put forward.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe in evolution.
I know you're one of those people set in your ways, and that you're not about to change your mind even if i come up with the most convincing argument in the world,
but saying 'I don't believe in the theory of evolution' does make you... well I wouldn't say stupid since I don't know you, but definitely highly uneducated.

The best way I've found to describe it is this:

Do you 'believe' in gravity?
Cause you know 'the theory of gravity' is the perfect counterpart to 'the theory of evolution'.

You never hear someone say 'I don't believe in gravity'. I mean, come on that's just stupid, right? We all know gravity is real, its a fact, gravity is all around you right now. Everyone knows that.

'The theory of gravity' is really a slang term, and a highly misleading one. Gravity is not the 'theory', the 'theory' its referring to its the explanation for how and why gravity(gravity being an indisputable fact) occurs.

I hope you see where i'm going now.

'The theory of evolution' is a slang term. A more proper name is 'Darwin's theory of evolution through natural selection'. You're leaving out the key part of its name when you shorten it like everyone does. Evolution is a proven fact, just like gravity they have proven 100% without a doubt indisputably that evolution occurs. The Theory is how it occurs, why it occurs.

Darwin's Theory of Evolution Through Natural Selection is the best answer we've come up with for that, and in all the years since its been around no one has yet to find an explanation that better fits the facts.

You're free to say you don't believe in natural selection. I mean its a bit silly but there's nothing wrong with saying that. Saying you don't believe in evolution itself on the other hand is highly ignorant, and does indeed make you look... well, stupid.

((if you're interested in being educated on the subject, you might also wish to look up what a 'scientific theory' actually means, and I'll tell you now its no just a 'guess' or an 'idea' like so many people[who share your 'opinion'] seem to think...))

----------
TL;DR: 'Evolution' isn't the theory, 'Natural Selection' is the theory, people just keep shortening the name to 'theory of evolution' cause its easier than 'Charles Darwin's Theory on the Perpetuation of Varieties and Species by Natural Means of Selection'.

Evolution itself is a fact just like Gravity, Heat and Light.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
esperandote said:

Asking a creationists to prove themselves right is as stupid as the "Where did you come from?" argument because in the end you can't prove God neither you have to, it's something you believe.

What irritates me the most is atheists calling stupid poeple with beliefs when is not of their fucking bussines. (As ironic as it is that it irritates me)
They said they believed in creation, as opposed to evolution. So I'm assuming that means they think evolution is false. Which is more than contradictory, it's stupid.
I never asked for creationists to prove their point, so I'll ignore that bit.
I don't think there's any problem calling someone's idea about a topic stupid, especially when it is. Honestly, it's just a slightly more insulting way of saying they're incorrect on this topic. But again, that's not the issue I was talking about in my post.
I'm saying that it's stupid to discount evolution if you're studying biology, and that we shouldn't be ok with that opinion. You still haven't said why you think we should be.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Jmurray21 said:
You really should define evolution in this context.
See, there's 2 relevant definitions here:
Micro-evolution, which we DO have stacks of evidence for. This is stuff like the bird beaks thing, minor changes in species that do not turn them into other species.

Macro-evolution: Species becoming other species through millions of years of micro-evolution. This is something we DON'T have stacks of evidence for.

I really feel like slapping a good deal of the people in this thread, because they're not TRYING to understand each other or make themselves understood. The word "evolution" has THREE different means. THREE. People here are talking about different meanings, and being responded to by people who think that they're talking about meaning C, when they're actually talking about meaning A. This is why you're calling each other stupid.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Legendsmith said:
Jmurray21 said:
You really should define evolution in this context.
See, there's 2 relevant definitions here:
Micro-evolution, which we DO have stacks of evidence for. This is stuff like the bird beaks thing, minor changes in species that do not turn them into other species.

Macro-evolution: Species becoming other species through millions of years of micro-evolution. This is something we DON'T have stacks of evidence for.

I really feel like slapping a good deal of the people in this thread, because they're not TRYING to understand each other or make themselves understood. The word "evolution" has THREE different means. THREE. People here are talking about different meanings, and being responded to by people who think that they're talking about meaning C, when they're actually talking about meaning A. This is why you're calling each other stupid.
I feel like slapping you for making such a retarded post (Kidding). But seriously there only really is one definition for it. Micro and macro evolution are just arbitrary distinctions made by laypeople.