I am absolutely flabbergasted

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
Don't worry, in my first year bio class, every other freshman was dull, and didn't care about the class. I just focused on my own work and ended up getting the highest grade in the class. If you want to be a bio class that take the subject seriously then join AP bio your senior year of high school. That's what i did.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
Name one creationist biologist. Please. I asked for them ages ago and nobody could give me one.
Duane Gish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Gish

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
#1 rule of life. People are stupid. Understand that, and the number of surprises you experience will drop dramatically

BenTheWolf

Dec 21, 2009
I'm a creationist up to a point, I take the view that evolution is possible (and likely) but that we don't all come from a common ancestor. I'm perfectly happy that in a thousand years a Tiger could be a little cat, not so happy it could be a whale. Admittedly I'm not a biologist and I go to a church so you can disregard everything I say al a Richard Dawkins.

However I am going to university next year and am sufficiently bright to have applied to Oxford, no one's managed to persuade me I'm wrong yet.

As for the idiot who didn't turn up for donkey's then moaned about her workload. Just no. People like that slow the rest of the world down, as do those supporting drugs in pretty much any form as 'good'. (NB, not medical drugs, medical drugs are good, they keep me alive)

Basically it's more important that we retain free speech et al rather than 'proving' that one of the lobbies are completely correct. If we persist we end up with conflict (see the crusades and Al queda) if we just accept our differences then there will be happiness and chocolate and ponies and other nice things.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I've always been fascinated by biologists who don't believe in evolution.
Do they also not believe in germ theory?

In any case, it is fascinating to see how much more shallow these kinds of religious discussions are on the off-topic board.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Shouldn't this thread be in the religion and politics section? I'm not even going to bother joining the 'debate', as I won't touch religious junk-science with a ten foot pole.

Please keep your 'creationist biologists' as far away from public education as possible. Thank you.

EDIT: Thank you to the mod who deleted my double post! ^_^

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Jmurray21 said:
AtheistGuy said:
You shouldn't fear biologist who are creationists. There are plenty of them in today's science and each of them come up with genuine arguments as to why evolution doesn't exists.
In my experience they say they're biologists or geologists (with degrees and everything), but in their arguments make mistakes or, possibly, intentional omissions, on things that first-year students who get Ds in the class would still understand. (I should know, I graded students who failed exams but still got the stream rejuvenation questions right, whereas an alleged geologist gave a talk supporting Young Earth Creationism and pretended that rejuvenated streams didn't exist. They may call themselves scientists, but they are completely undeserving of the term.

Jmurray21 said:
we're supposed to be in an age of acceptance but once someones opinion is different all hell brakes loose.
Except it's not just a matter of opinion or of acceptance. It's about being just plain unqualified for your job. If you think evolution or natural selection don't happen, then you don't know enough about biology to be fit for work in the field. That's all there is to it. I'm not sure how to convey to you just how solid the evidence for it is, not to mention the fact that it's observed in real-time in creatures with sufficiently small intervals between generations, such as bacteria.

Jmurray21 said:
I'm a creationist, does that mean I'm stupid.
Possibly, depending on why you're a creationist.

Jmurray21 said:
I don't believe the Earth was made in six days nor is it only 6000 years and most biologists who are creationists say the same thing.
Then it's more likely that you're not stupid. Well, actually, you were talking about the whole evolution-deniers-as-biologists thing as a matter of acceptance, which is a really stupid comment to make. Reminds me of this one doonesbury comic...

Student: This B+ is wrong, Man! You?re dissin? me here big time!

Prof. Deadman: Mr. Slocum, I merely gave you the grade you deserved.

Slocum: Can?t be, Man! This is way off base!

Deadman: As was your entire first proof, in which you held the square root of 144 to be 15. It is, in fact, 12.

Slocum: Well, sure, from a narrow, absolutist, Eurocentric perspective, maybe it?s 12.

Deadman: So?

Slocum: So my culture teaches it?s 15, Man!

Deadman: Fascinating. Would this be an advanced civilization? )
Yeah. It's not about acceptance or lack of it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I remember and old friend telling me that her son didn't believe in evolution because he was a Christian. That is actually what he hold her.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Fasckira said:
AtheistGuy said:
Name one creationist biologist. Please. I asked for them ages ago and nobody could give me one.
Duane Gish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Gish
EDIT: Some places define it as a branch of biology, other as chemistry. I'll leave this as a huge question mark for now.

Spot1990 said:
I am sorry for your burden. Hopefully they will all drop out in a few months when they finally fail the class.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
esperandote said:
MaxwellEdison said:
esperandote said:
The question is, they believe in evolution in what degree? If they believe that the first humans were adan and eve and that dinousaurs didn't exists then yeah that pretty contradictory but some that believe in creation might believe that God triggered the big bang and everyhing else evolved from there, after all the bible was written by men not by god.

Asking a creationists to prove themselves right is as stupid as the "Where did you come from?" argument because in the end you can't prove God neither you have to, it's something you believe.

What irritates me the most is atheists calling stupid poeple with beliefs when is not of their fucking bussines. (As ironic as it is that it irritates me)
They said they believed in creation, as opposed to evolution. So I'm assuming that means they think evolution is false. Which is more than contradictory, it's stupid.
I never asked for creationists to prove their point, so I'll ignore that bit.
I don't think there's any problem calling someone's idea about a topic stupid, especially when it is. Honestly, it's just a slightly more insulting way of saying they're incorrect on this topic. But again, that's not the issue I was talking about in my post.
I'm saying that it's stupid to discount evolution if you're studying biology, and that we shouldn't be ok with that opinion. You still haven't said why you think we should be.
You shouldn't be ok with their opinion as in agree with them, you should be ok with it as in respect it. Why? Courtesy.
Again, if you met someone who chose to major in advanced mathematics, perhaps engineering, and rejected arithmetic, would you respect that opinion? We shouldn't just respect everyone's opinion. Some people are wrong, and some people are ridiculously wrong.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
AtheistGuy said:
But the real kicker is when I asked them a question so simple, there should have been no need to ask it. "Creation or Evolution"? The one that skipped constantly gave an answer you'd expect, the other one (Mind you biology major) said "Creation of course".
You're absolutely positive that he wasn't just taking the piss? I mean, you are the one who thought to bring up Creationism to a science major... Sounds to me like he was just having a laugh at your expense.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
There is a big problem that ALWAYS creeps up in these debates and its never addressed.

The problem is the word "evolution". And its used interchangeably between "evolution" and "the theory of evolution" and "the theory of evolution with the caveat.......we evolved from monkeys therefore there is no God or creator now shut your mouth your superstitious boob"

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
EdwardOrchard said:
AtheistGuy said:
But the real kicker is when I asked them a question so simple, there should have been no need to ask it. "Creation or Evolution"? The one that skipped constantly gave an answer you'd expect, the other one (Mind you biology major) said "Creation of course".
You're absolutely positive that he wasn't just taking the piss? I mean, you are the one who thought to bring up Creationism to a science major... Sounds to me like he was just having a laugh at your expense.
That's what I thought it was. Till I heard his stupid questions. Kidding or not that's just unacceptable.