I am against fat acceptance

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Molikroth said:
In a society where individuals are forced to support the weak (in this instance the US is doing better than the UK, not having an NHS - yet), fat people should be shunned and treated with as much derision as possible.
Because if there's one system we should be emulating it's the American health care system.

Molikroth

Nov 1, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Because if there's one system we should be emulating it's the American health care system.
People being responsible for their own helath bills/insurance is a very good thing.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Molikroth said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
People being responsible for their own helath bills/insurance is a very good thing.

It is if you happen to be the one with access to healthcare.

Molikroth

Nov 1, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Molikroth said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:

What do you mean? My knowledge of the US healthcare system is non-existant, but isn't it true that you pay an insurance company to cover you, or if you prefer, just pay yourself, when you use a health service? If that's the case, it's preferable to paying for healthcare in tax when you might not use it, no?

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
Fat acceptance is an anti discrimination movement aimed at creating laws that punish people for discriminating against the overweight, I am completely against this.
I'm against laws that prevent private citizens from discriminating against anyone for any reason. If a potential employer is a jackass who irrationally hates black people, would you *really* want to work for him even if the law makes him hire you?

You can't magically legislate universal acceptance into existence. Get over it and go find someone that WILL accept you.

So should gender selection be legal or banned?
Legal.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Molikroth said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Molikroth said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:

What do you mean? My knowledge of the US healthcare system is non-existant, but isn't it true that you pay an insurance company to cover you, or if you prefer, just pay yourself, when you use a health service? If that's the case, it's preferable to paying for healthcare in tax when you might not use it, no?
I agree. It's also preferable to pay firemen at the door rather than pay for them via tax when you might not use the service.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
hypothetical fact said:
Fat acceptance is an anti discrimination movement aimed at creating laws that punish people for discriminating against the overweight, I am completely against this.
Being fat is not a problem unless you see it as a problem. In the roman days, being fat was an attractive thing, showing wealth. As times change, so do our preferences in other women, or men. And that's what it all boils down to. They're just people, with different body sizes.

They don't deserve to be taken the piss out of just as other religions don't, ginger people don't, and other nationalities don't. But they will be. All of them. It's the way we are.

Just because we tale the piss out of people, and they take the piss out of us, doesn't mean we hate each other, and by saying this, it sounds very much like you hate fat people. I'm sure you're not perfect.

hypothetical fact said:
Advocates of fat acceptance protest that some fat people are born fat and can not change their overweight appearance. I feel that they are using this as a scapegoat;
Research the meaning of scapegoat... God knows why you've used it in this sentence. And before you argue back, yeah I know you're saying they are using that fact to make it seem like it's not their fault, but your reasoning behind calling it a scapegoat is way off.

And as for your second question; It should be illigla, that's quite obvious.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Molikroth said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Molikroth said:
Decoy Doctorpus said:

I think he's getting at the fact that a lot of people can't afford the health care, because it's so expensive. I think it's something like 1/3 of americans have no health insurance. and if you don't have it, you can pay in excess of $100 american just for a checkup, or to see if you have a cold.

Not bitching, some companies pay for your health care. mine does. but a lot don't, and it leaves people without.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Obese people aren't another culture or race of people. You can always do something about being fat if you don't want to be "discriminated against" (picked on). A movement is absurd, people have movements for every bewildering ideology under the sun these days.

I wouldn't be moderately surprised if the leaders of this movement traveled by forklift anyhow ;).

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
Snieeke said:
So, Ive skimmed through most of the comments.. i will leave it at that.

First of all, the health risks of being overweight (not morbidly obese) and still doing physical activity are smaller than for people that are underweight. Being thin = healthy. Thats not really true, and the notion needs to be corrected. How much money do society spend every year on treating young people with eating disorders?

"Why cant they just eat like normal people?!". Well, maybe because they have emotional and psychological issues relating to food. Discipline has nothing to do with it, discipline is going to school or work even though people might treat you like shit, people you wanna date turn you down etcetera.
"I am powerless to control my weight. I beleive that a greater power will help me. God will remove my defects. " - Southpark Season 9 Episode 14.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
Fat acceptance: No. Discriminating against someone for a poor eating choice is wrong, but forcing someone to have to look passed it with the threat of them going on disability for obesity is equally messed up. I shouldn't have to hire someone if I think they will just use their weight to ride my ass for free money simply because the law says so.
However the one thing I am against is this: I was reading an application for a job at a retail store. One of the criteria they listed was, "Must be attractive." Now, to me that became outright discrimination. Am I crazy for thinking this?
I think a lot of airlines used to (and i think some still do) use the attractive thing. You had to even have a certain height/wieght standard met in order to work for them. I'm not saying it's right, and i'm not saying it's wrong, but i hate flying. And the fewer disgusting people i have to suffer while flying, the better.
Sex still sells. People still fall for the same old stuff. It's also an appearence thing though. It's generally thought that if you're not grossly overweight, that you take care of yourself, your image, and therefor your work, better than others.

Feb 13, 2008
Against Fat People? Choose your child's Gender?

We shall all be proud, tall, blonde ubermensch, striding forth across the bodies of zose who demonise the true potential!

OR...we could just leave people alone to be who they're meant to be. N'est pas?

I mean, where would we be without Fat Cooks? It's the sign of someone who loves their food.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Against Fat People? Choose your child's Gender?

We shall all be proud, tall, blonde ubermensch, striding forth across the bodies of zose who demonise the true potential!

OR...we could just leave people alone to be who they're meant to be. N'est pas?

I mean, where would we be without Fat Cooks? It's the sign of someone who loves their food.
I dunno, i bet a lot of people would choose red hair over blond for a while. ;)

Reversal

Nov 19, 2008
I don't have a problem with fat people. What I DO have a problem with, is special treatment and the bullshit people spout about a fat virus. Obesity isn't a disease or a virus you can magically cure, it's where you're overweight. Tons of fat people use the excuse of glandular problem. Most of the time it's just you're really fat because you eat tons of fast food and don't exercise. Don't you think that might have something to do with it? You don't lose weight by diets or magical cure pills. You do it by not eating so damn much and exercising. These are the same people who wonder why they're so fat when they use a bloody cart to get around in the grocery store because they're too lazy to use their legs. If you've got a handicap fine, but if you're just fat use your goddamn legs like everyone else and stop being so selfish. You don't REALLY need your cart, someone who's genuinely disabled does. To lose weight, I've got one sentence that can sum up how to lose weight. "Eat healthy, exercise more." If you're so desperate to eat constantly, eat vegetables or fruits. They'll fill you up and are good for you. Don't eat so much sugar or carbs and stay away from highly processed food. If you do that long enough, you'll Definitely lose weight. It's not a big mystery, it's common logic.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
I couldn't care less if someone's fat or not. I do care, however, when they start demanding things because of it.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Even claiming that your genetically obese doesn't give you an excuse on my mother's side there is a history of obesity and so most of my relatives on that side are larger... however most are not morbid obese because they do exercise eat healthy and promote healthy to their children me i can't really speak from a obese person's side because i inheriated my dad's amazingly fast metabolism yay me

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
BallPtPenTheif said:
Uskis said:
The government can't force people directly to eat healthy, but it can legislate so that it's possible and more attractive to chose a healthy solution over an unhealthy one.
Yet despite current government intervention people still persist to smoke, drink, and use illegal drugs.

Personally I find it scarry that anybody would think that a government has any right to play around with the personal habits of its society.
The problem with most these issues, is that it's not a matter of personal habits that only affect you. Second hand smoking kills a lot. I agree with the smoking ban in most cases. People might still have unhealthy habits, but government can make these habits less likely to become epidemics.

I take it you are american? There's a big cultural difference in the way most americans see their government, and how Europeans see theirs. All I can say, is that I have a healthy skeptic towards the legislators, but the state as such, I regard as something that helps me realize my goals, rather than hold me back. :)

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Bank robbers don't usually hate banks. Embezzlers don't usually hate the client they are swindling. Burglars don't usually hate people who own things. Muggers don't usually hate the people they rob. Tax cheats don't usually hate the government.
Was with you up to the muggers, thus why I said "almost". On the other hand, "hate crime" generally refers to murder or assault, that, is always a hate crime.

Cheeze_Pavilion said:
That's not the only formulation of what constitutes a hate crime. Another formulation is that but for the difference of ethnicity, the crime would not have been committed.

what's the real difference between that and any other crime though? If it wasn't for X the crime wouldn't have been committed. Does it honestly matter what X is? Does the reason of the crime truly matter?