I Can Be a Computer Engineer Barbie Sends Girls the Opposite Message - Update

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
ryukage_sama said:
The author of the article did not say that the wearer of the shirt held any such beliefs. The article claimed that wearing the shirt (with a link to an image of the man wearing the shirt) was an example of casual sexism. I agree that context is necessary, but the context is presented in the article and via hyperlinks.
You misunderstood what I was trying to say, let me clarify: My problem was with the statement that it was casual sexism (as if there was no discussion in it). If I can disagree with something, it's an opinion. The rest of what it said about context etc. was a very short counter-argument to prove my point that it is indeed only one opinion of the matter. She also stated, as fact, that it made women feel 'unwelcome at STEM', but gave no evidence that anyone there had actually complained.

What I meant about context was that the pictures on the shirt carried no context, e.g. if they were in the context of making a sandwich, that would be an obvious sexist jab, but I don't see how people can jump to conclusions from the mere depiction of women. It's sad that because men can appreciate the form of a female body it apparently means we all see them as objects, when there's no proof that upon meeting a real woman we'd treat them as anything less than a person.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
ryukage_sama said:
The author of the article did not say that the wearer of the shirt held any such beliefs. The article claimed that wearing the shirt (with a link to an image of the man wearing the shirt) was an example of casual sexism. I agree that context is necessary, but the context is presented in the article and via hyperlinks.
You misunderstood what I was trying to say, let me clarify: My problem was with the statement that it was casual sexism (as if there was no discussion in it). If I can disagree with something, it's an opinion. The rest of what it said about context etc. was a very short counter-argument to prove my point that it is indeed only one opinion of the matter. She also stated, as fact, that it made women feel 'unwelcome at STEM', but gave no evidence that anyone there had actually complained.

What I meant about context was that the pictures on the shirt carried no context, e.g. if they were in the context of making a sandwich, that would be an obvious sexist jab, but I don't see how people can jump to conclusions from the mere depiction of women. It's sad that because men can appreciate the form of a female body it apparently means we all see them as objects, when there's no proof that upon meeting a real woman we'd treat them as anything less than a person.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Booklover13 said:
I disagree strongly that there are a bunch of bad examples. Heck I'd argue that there are a far greater number of good then bad. Barbie has be everything, and I do mean everything, [take a look](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie's_careers). The only potentially bad influence I can think of is the one you mentions, the body type. Just to be clear, are you are telling be she can not be a positive influence solely because of her appearance? A few things one that.
There's a difference between "sexism" and "bad influence".
You only have to look at the education list to see the blatant sexism in the minds of the creators.
It's easy to "fight" sexism by making a military option. It's far hard to go "Actually, let's make her a secondary maths teacher this time, rather than a primary school teacher for the 6th time."

1. The doll was created in 1959, not exactly an era that focused on weight size.
Yep, sexist era produces sexist doll.
I agree entirely.

2. The doll's breasts and their noticeable existence was very important when it was released. This was because they wanted it to be clear this was a adult woman doing these things. This lets girls see themselves in these roles in the future. Where as the dolls of that era only reinforce the homemaker role.
And that's an admirable goal. But good intentions does not automatically translate to good implementation.
I absolutely believe that most people working at Barbie are anti-sexism on a concious level. That doesn't mean that their subconscious prejudices don't have significant effects on the outcome.

3. This was mostly about making the clothes easier to change an have them fall right. This is important to to functions of the doll.
Yes... Of course... There was absolutely no other way around that problem...

4. They have increased the waist size
Not enough.

5. Boys toys can be just as bad, most 'space armor' is just as impossible.
Seriously? Comparing sci-fi technology to modern day sexism is the best you could come up with?
And that's not even getting into the question of the sexism in how the perpetuated male ideal is about being powerful while the perpetuated female ideal is about being attractive to others... (and therefore really really aren't comparable)

And surgeon Barbie can stand on her own, she doesn't wear heals. Thanks for putting all the value on her body though!
Are you really trying to defend the body deformity by saying "Yeah, but this one doesn't have shoes with heels!"?

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Alexander Kirby said:
She also stated, as fact, that it made women feel 'unwelcome at STEM', but gave no evidence that anyone there had actually complained.
STEM refers to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Not a particular company.
If you need proof that woman have trouble getting welcomed into those fields then just Google it. It's been a problem for a long long time.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Maze1125 said:
Alexander Kirby said:
She also stated, as fact, that it made women feel 'unwelcome at STEM', but gave no evidence that anyone there had actually complained.
STEM refers to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Not a particular company.
If you need proof that woman have trouble getting welcomed into those fields then just Google it. It's been a problem for a long long time.
I'd also like to add this blog post by Randi Harper on her 20-odd years experience in tech, and how she faced (and still faces) harassment and belittlement because of her gender.

http://randi.io/wp/archives/86

Different field, but her experiences are broadly applicable.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
They should keep the book as is and just title it "I can do a kickstarter videogame".
Then have Barbie list things like "crafting", "rogue-like", "retro", "survival", "revolutionary" and I'd congratulate them on their realistic portrayal of kickstarter games.
And oddly enough, that version wouldn't even be sexist, because "idea guy" is a unisex occupation.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Baresark said:
Eh, anyone using anything Barbie for their kids education is a moron anyway. It just seems so stupid... they should have had 3 girls working on the game, then it wouldn't have been an issue for anyone. If Brian and Steve were Brianna and Stephanie, this wouldn't be happening.
It still wouldn't be very 'empowering' though for the main character in a story to solve her problems by getting someone else to come fix things for her. If Barbie is so incompetent why is she the main character? Why not make the story about Brianna and Stephanie? My guess is that the writers didn't feel that their target audience would understand or be interested in programming, which is probably true[footnote]Put down your pitchforks, I simply mean that Barbies target audience is CHILDREN and coding is above most childrens' heads[/footnote], but also kinda undermines the entire point of the book.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Does this belong in news? I don't know if it's wrong or not but can we just give Carly her own column? With sexism being such a diverse and nuanced issue even among it's supporters, is it responsible from a journalistic standpoint to use a subjective headline and editorialize throughout? I realize in the wake of gamergate tensions are on high for this issue but just honestly speaking, this is not news as it lacks the quality if being "new" information and focuses on the opinion and social context of a book. Maybe you could say something like "critics pan Barbie book for 'sexist' message." I mean maybe it's just my opinion but I always thought it was journalism to present the facts and let the reader draw they're own conclusion. This is already drawn for me forcing me to ask myself "really?"

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
The book sounds idiotic, but that shirt looks glorious. I would not have worn it for my big day on television, but no, that damned shirt is not a bit of "casual mysogyny." The linked article's headline says it all; I don't care that you helped do something extraordinary that pushes our understanding forward, that shirt is awful! The fact that anyone would claim that that shirt somehow demonstrates contempt for women seems absurd. The fact that they would value the man's contribution to science less because they don't like his shirt is pants-on-head stupid.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
josemlopes said:
Are we going after dumb shit that happened 4 years ago now?

Wow, Barbie, a rather outdated product when it comes to sending messages about anything (the only message it sends is "If you look pretty enough you dont have to do shit because your price will come along and save you"), has a book where the general message is dumb as fuck. Who knew?
I hope that's a typo, but in either case, I find it hilarious. It get's the same point across as "prince" which I assume was the word you'd meant to use, but instead of being supported by one rich guy it's (presumably) a bunch of horny Johns.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Wow that's bad. What's next? Barbie's "I can be a Navy SEAL: So long as guys are doing the actual fighting, I'll just take the Medals?"

Is anyone surprised that an entire generation of girls are being talked down to like that? Well, here's hoping that the next generation isn't as screwed up as this one.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Alexander Kirby said:
ryukage_sama said:

If you followed the link, you would have read that there were indeed complaints about the shirt being worn to work and while representing the agency to the world. His shirt displayed sexually provocative images of women, what can also be described as a depiction of women as decoration. It is a fact that women at STEM are made uncomfortable by "casual sexism". You are right that specific evidence isn't provided in this article, but that is a pedantic complaint because the assertion remains true regardless of whether or not you are aware of the evidence. If you had proof that her assertion was false, you would have a legitimate grievance. This is not the case. The article regarding the shirt referenced in the article contains links to such evidence.

As to the immediate effects of wearing the shirt: Basic gender sensitivity training (and discussions with people who have been affected by the lack of such sensitivity) would have told you that displays of sexual objectification tend to make the people of the depicted gender feel less like a person and more like an object. The problem isn't that the man would find women attractive, or that he would have such images in his home or on his body. The problem is that he brought it into his work, he brought it in front of his coworkers and the entire international community. He put that imagery, of provocatively dressed, unrealistically proportioned women, which he wears for his own gratification, on display for all his coworkers to see. All the women he works with would have to stand there, looking at sexually objectified images of women and feel worse for it. That's the effect of sexism. Regardless of whether or not you intend to hurt their feelings or make them feel like less of a person, it won't change that it does. You don't get to decide what hurts other people. The rest of the world shouldn't have to demonstrate to you EVERY TIME it happens, every time somebody is the the victim of sexism, regardless of however thoughtless or unintended it may be, that the victims exist. That victims could exist is reason to consider our actions in advance.

We should be able to see the effects of our actions if we just think about how what we do affects those around us. We need to keep working so that we all have the consideration to maintain a respectful environment.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
TL;DR "The Barbie story book is stopping girls from getting into computer gaming"

If a book of a character who is already a debatabley negative portrayl of women is stopping you from getting into gaming... then make your own games, call every gamer a white-male-cis-sexist shet lord, deter some of the female gamers in the process, then act totally suprised when they dont give you any of their money or ad revenue towards anyone who writes articles about mysoginerds.

Sorry, I forget that Im too brown to speak for myself since every other thing i say is Burrito Chihuahua Taco Grande. Maybe call some white women ive never heard of before to speak on my behalf. Because Im just too Internal Racist for my own good, and again cant speak for myself Chalupa Salsa Verde

Also if your going to google my name to check my sock puppet status, Im grinning ugly guy in the 2nd image result.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Houseman said:
BigTuk said:
And what is wrong with this? No, seriously.
Nothing's wrong with this. But designing a game is not the same as making one, nor does it make one a software computer engineer. Anybody with a pencil and a piece of paper can "design" a game.
I'd say it does more than that. Barbie pretty much wrecked everything. Wrecked her computer, got her sister's assignment lost, etc. That's not exactly the kind of image you want for a story about becoming a software engineer though it'd be decent for a story about learning some half-assed moral lesson about being careful and asking for help and what not. There's nothing wrong that Barbie is asking for help, but she is shown to be incompetent at the stuff a computer engineer should be able to handle. They're not just simple accidents either; she messed up EVERYTHING. It's basically I Can Not Be a Computer Engineer.

The fact that both of the people who can handle the coding are male is a point to be made, but that's a more debatable one. It's not bad they're male, but because there are no other coding friends in her story one can argue it is presenting guys as technical people and girls as artsy people, an old stereotype with no evidence whatsoever. In fact, it's practically been dis-proven. As I said though, that particular claim of sexism is more debatable. It does mean this should have been titled I Can Be A Game Designer though.

Though, it does open up for criticism for why the heck this is titled as if it's about computer engineering when it's clearly about software engineering and that ignorance permeates through the book (Why does the teacher wear a lab coat?). You already brought that up though Houseman. Books aimed towards toddlers, the youngest of the young, don't need to be complex, but they should be accurate in their basic representation or all those moral messages, messages based on getting the basic representations of life right, are meaningless. Of course, these tend to be platitude garbage even when presented well, so whatever.

I am not saying whether I agree or disagree with the critics. I'm just explaining the perspective of the critics, mostly to Big Tuk since I quoted two of you.