I Can't Stop Playing Darkest Dungeon

Encaen

May 6, 2005
I Can't Stop Playing Darkest Dungeon

You may need a trip to the tavern for your own stress relief after a couple hours of Red Hook Studios? gothic roguelike RPG, Darkest Dungeon.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I did!
Wasn't that hard really. I just got several absurdly random traits and maladies and it totally ruined any immersion I had with the game. I mean being blood thirsty and afraid of blood at the same time? Being diurnal and nocturnal? A character who will only mediate to reduce stress but likewise will never meditate to reduce stress?
*cough cough* bullshit! *cough cough*

Yeah that game needs an overhaul. And its worse because apparently its gotten a few and its still too random to be good.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Silentpony said:
I did!
Wasn't that hard really. I just got several absurdly random traits and maladies and it totally ruined any immersion I had with the game. I mean being blood thirsty and afraid of blood at the same time? Being diurnal and nocturnal? A character who will only mediate to reduce stress but likewise will never meditate to reduce stress?

Yeah that game needs an overhaul. And its worse because apparently its gotten a few and its still too random to be good.
That's odd. I've actually been keeping an eye out for that kind of paradoxical quirk combo, and haven't seen one yet. Closest I've seen to anything like that was Love Interest (Only visits the Brothel) and a buff to Meditation stress relief. Of course, I have no idea how much time you sunk into it, but one thing I learned early on is that you've got to be super liberal with the dismiss button until you've established six or seven characters worth keeping around.

Definitely sounds like you had a frustrating experience, but it might still be worth revisiting it in a few months, once they've had significant time to improve!

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I'm loving this game so far. The art style and narration really make it stand out. I wasn't aware that it wasn't finished though.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Loved this game when it was first released on early access, but not going to pick it up again until the full release hits (I think they said they're aiming for October IIRC). Definitely looking forward to playing again with more classes and all the quality of life improvements I've heard about ^^

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I own it and have played it. Glad your experience was so positive. It still needed alot of work when I played it, but it's been 6+ months since then I believe. Figured I'd let a few more updates come out before I sunk too many hours into it. May give it another shot soon.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I enjoyed it quite a bit(steam says 73hrs) but I want to wait until it's finished.

Encaen said:
Silentpony said:
I did!

That's odd. I've actually been keeping an eye out for that kind of paradoxical quirk combo, and haven't seen one yet. Closest I've seen to anything like that was Love Interest (Only visits the Brothel) and a buff to Meditation stress relief. Of course, I have no idea how much time you sunk into it, but one thing I learned early on is that you've got to be super liberal with the dismiss button until you've established six or seven characters worth keeping around.

Definitely sounds like you had a frustrating experience, but it might still be worth revisiting it in a few months, once they've had significant time to improve!
Incompatible quirks were hot patched as issues were reported. When I was last playing, they were focused on stress reduction compatibility like the issue mentioned above. They, at the time, still had conflicting light based stat boost/reduction quirks. I had stats that would drop at under 50% light and raise at under 25% light.

On another note, many items can interact with objects you find. For example, bandages can be used on Eerie Spiderweb, Mummified Remains and Rack of Blades to give guaranteed loot. Medical herbs for the food carts are really helpful too, purifying the food gives you plenty to heal/rest with.

List of item interactions here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

Takwin

Apr 22, 2011
I had to stop playing it because I want it to be finished before I play it more. I was a super happy Kickstarter backer and put about 20 hours into it. Definitely enough to see that this is a phenomenal game, beautiful art, great narration and tone, and serious punishing difficulty. You MUST play it differently and see yourself as the player and the minions more like weapons that can be used, broken, thrown away, and replaced. Dismiss liberally and find a team to peak at just the right time - the boss. Then you'll have to regroup and muscle your way to the next boss while assembling a new team (probably different characters, and maybe all replaced).

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ill go out on a limb and say the game is not really as impressive as people want to make it out to be. I know I WANT to like it much more than I actually do. There is so much potential there, but there is also so much that is questionable or even flatly just wrong about the whole production.

Its impossible not to love the art, atmosphere, the narration (till it gets tedious and repetitive) and honestly its simplicity. However you really have to be turning a blind eye to some seriously bad balancing issues, Redundant classes, underpowered classes, overall insufficient narrative motivation, and a metric fukton of hiding behind artificial difficulty. All of that and that is before considering how disrespectful and dodgy the development staff have been since the beginning to people who want to play this on a platform that isnt consumer hostile. Honestly even that pales in comparison to the audacious sphincerocity of "releasing" a half finished game to Kick start backers so they could get out from under obligation and start making Steam profits in order to fund finishing the second half of the game.

I get there is a lot of community support for it, and the good of its potential is really good and worthy of support, but no matter how much good karma a developer picks up, when we as consumers do not call horseshit on these kinds of behaviors, we not only invite this developer and others to continue to do the same or even worse, and it is not as if the industry needed motivation to start releasing unfinished products for profit. Public support of it however is only going to make it worse and more frequent.

Great potential does not nullify substandard presentation while mistreating those who helped get you where you are.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
-Dragmire- said:
Incompatible quirks were hot patched as issues were reported. When I was last playing, they were focused on stress reduction compatibility like the issue mentioned above. They, at the time, still had conflicting light based stat boost/reduction quirks. I had stats that would drop at under 50% light and raise at under 25% light.

On another note, many items can interact with objects you find. For example, bandages can be used on Eerie Spiderweb, Mummified Remains and Rack of Blades to give guaranteed loot. Medical herbs for the food carts are really helpful too, purifying the food gives you plenty to heal/rest with.

I didn't know about the item interactions with the dungeon objects. That's great to know!

I finally did see a quirk conflict yesterday, when my Vestal with "Love Interest" got a little too kinky at the Brothel, and picked up Deviant Tastes. It was a quick fix in the Sanitarium, but the first I've seen of that sort of issue.

In other news, I hate Swinetaurs. Back-to-back Pig Spear took out my favorite Highwayman this morning. I need to figure out how to better fight them, because even the first one I fought early on forced me to camp immediately.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Been playing it on and off. i think I am done now until the full release. Games have a shelf life of play time for me and If I play this too much i will be burned out on it before I get the whole thing.

it is a great game.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Encaen said:
-Dragmire- said:

I didn't know about the item interactions with the dungeon objects. That's great to know!

I finally did see a quirk conflict yesterday, when my Vestal with "Love Interest" got a little too kinky at the Brothel, and picked up Deviant Tastes. It was a quick fix in the Sanitarium, but the first I've seen of that sort of issue.

In other news, I hate Swinetaurs. Back-to-back Pig Spear took out my favorite Highwayman this morning. I need to figure out how to better fight them, because even the first one I fought early on forced me to camp immediately.
2 Highwaymen in the first 2 spots with the fastest one in front. Pointblank Shot them to death. Use the lunge strike attack that moves you forward if hit or shuffled out of position.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
-Dragmire- said:
2 Highwaymen in the first 2 spots with the fastest one in front. Pointblank Shot them to death. Use the lunge strike attack that moves you forward if hit or shuffled out of position.
I had someone else suggest this setup recently. Sadly, my level 5 Highwayman got brutally impaled to death last time, so I've got some work ahead of me leveling up a pair of them. I'll see how it goes! Thanks!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Encaen said:
-Dragmire- said:
I had someone else suggest this setup recently. Sadly, my level 5 Highwayman got brutally impaled to death last time, so I've got some work ahead of me leveling up a pair of them. I'll see how it goes! Thanks!
Up to the point I stopped playing, I had yet to find a team combination that worked better than 2 Vestal's and 2 Crusaders. Set the 2 Crusaders in 1st/2nd place, give them that shielding ability that also adds to torchlight, and that other one that heals stress damage. Let the 2 vestals heal everybody from the back row, and toss holy bolts at the enemies, also boosting light. If the Crusaders got knocked to the back of the party, use their lunge ability to get back to the front. I pretty much stopped dying at that point with that team makeup.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Encaen said:
-Dragmire- said:
My particular setup was focused on no light runs for high crit and more loot. My Highwayman trinkets boosted speed and accuracy. With my highest leveled Highwaymen, I would almost always hit crit chance was about 50%(which had the added benefit of keeping everyone sane[small](more or less)[/small]).

Due to the massive amount of loot I was bringing back from any length of run, I was swimming in cash. This allowed me to purchase the super expensive, but amazing, trinkets.

Oh, side note: Point Blank Shot focused Highwaymen do poorly against the necromancer and awful against the Hag.

If in dire need for cash, send a sacrificial team(new recruits grabbed from coach) on a level 1 mission with; no trinkets, no food, no shovels, no torches, and a couple items used for interacting with common objects from that dungeon so you can guarantee positive loot drops. Explore until you either max out your capacity for loot or you don't think you will survive more combat(I mean complete team death, any individual lost on these runs are inconsequential, what matters is the ability to leave with the loot). Chances are high that you'll have a significant profit from this. Now, as for Team Aggressively Expendable, they are likely a bunch of psychotic hysterical barely conscious bruised piles of flesh wrapped in vile mucus tainted tears. To thank them for the financial windfall they provided and a job well done... Banish them. Fixing them is way too expensive and the coach just rolled in with some new recruits....

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It's a great game even in it's current unfinished state and I'm happy to have supported the project right from the start, but you will eventually get bored with the current build. I'm also not too sure about the added corpses mechanic and the problematic leper class really sucks now.

I'm waiting for the next dungeon to unlock and hopefully some balance fixes.