"I could write better characters than this!" You think so?

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
SamuelT said:
I've realised that characters aren't a collection of traits a while ago. Looking back on my work they were pretty horrible. My characters were like you described yours, nothing else but bland plates with colours thrown on them.
This, Oh so much of this. My characters were stand alone cardboard cutouts of characters from other mediums with a thin coat of paint over them, of course I was 12 at the time of writing them so its understandable. Now (19) I give them backstories and altered so much about my original characters that they are now almost unrecognizable. Im still trying to limit the amount of cliche for my characters.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
I think we can all agree, that the average quality of modern day writing, especially in media that relies on visuals, is skin-deep at best.
Being romantically engaged with one, I can also verify, there's people that were indeed born to work in the field of storytelling.
So let's all draw the logical conclusion, and only support (buy) those products, which advocate above average writing, shouldn't we?

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
Bruin said:
hurfdurp said:
I wouldn't even attempt it. I'm really emotionally tuned-in and thoughtful and the like, but I can't articulate my way out of a bag, not a writer at all.
Everybody can write if you can put your fingers on a keyboard. That's what I love and hate about writing today. Everybody can do it. It gives so much more opportunity. The bad thing about it is that everybody can write. Even the people who will never get good at it.

If you'd like to, though, just try it. Write about things you want to write about and everything else will fall into place afterwards. There was a forum I belonged to once that had normal discussions in dramatic writing format. It was pretty awesome, I have to say, to hear two men bicker about territorial disputes within their clans and argue it like Roman senators.
It probably helps to have some drive and interest in it to start :p. I'm very much a visual person and water that garden above all else. I have that same kind of feeling you do though, in the sense that anyone can pick up a pencil etc. Oddly enough, it's these people who can barely hold it that think they are the most skilled and by that reasoning alone you know that they have entirely missed the bigger picture. Thanks for your encouragement though :).

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Sparrow said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Sparrow said:
I get this all the fucking time. I think, "Hey, maybe I'm doing alright now! Maybe my characters are good and well thought-out, and my storyline is looking good too!"

Then I watch something like Firefly or Crash and just give up on life. Some writers are just born to do what they do, it's looking as if I'm not one of those writers. Still, I'm young and all the big writers I know are into their 30's. I guess I still got time to take it easy and think on some ideas.

Pirate Kitty said:
I'm a writer.

I know I can write better characters than 99.9% of the design community.
Now, I'm saying this in the nicest way possible:

No. You can't.
That's funny. I didn't think you knew me or anything at all about me. Oh, wait - you don't.
I can see that you're cocky - that's pretty obvious. And by the simple fact that you ARE cocky, I can safely assume you think you're much better than you are. That doesn't mean you're not good, I'm not saying that. What I am saying however is that the chances of you being the best writer out of 1000 people? I reckon that'd be a feat too far. I'd go with a safer number, like 80%.
That's a pretty silly statement, considering you know nothing about me.

One of the world's best writers could post a comment and you could say the same thing.

Poor logic, sweetie.
He could, but 999 times out of a thousand he'd be right. Example of your magnificent talent?

OT: I write, but not seriously. I do want to write a book at some point in my life, and I ace every creative writing task at school, but proper writing's on a whole different level.

So no, I don't think I could write better than most in all honesty, but I'm working on it!

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Everyone thinks they can, doing so is an entirely different thing.

I create characters, worlds, and lore. Most of which is is alright but not amazing.
Having friends or family judge your work is probably a bad idea. Comparing to all current media and having a professional look at your work is the better idea to safely judge your current talent.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:

One of the world's best writers could post a comment and you could say the same thing.

Poor logic, sweetie.
I know that you are arrogant, that's evidence enough for me. Regardless, you most likely expected backlash from your comment. It almost seems as if you were hunting for some kind of argument, like searching for a nice dick waving competition to see who's got the biggest junk.

Regardless, evidence of your prowess in writing wouldn't go amiss.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Bruin said:
You can.

But it's a travesty that you should have to search that hard for good writing. There was a time when all of these things--complexity in plot, underlying meaning, etc. were actually important in writing. People paid attention to them, they focused on them and discussed them. They didn't drink them into their heads then vomit them back up and say: "IT WAS GOOD I LIKED IT."
Quoted for truth. The stupid masses are the people I blame for hiding Firefly from me for such a long time, such a unnapreciated show which came to such an abrupt end. Thank the lawd for the fans who kept it going and let it reach a place in the cinemas.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
I long ago stopped trying to make my characters unique. All I was doing was giving myself headaches (mostly because I'd get 3 hours into a character and realize I was rehashing so-and-so's backstory from such-and-such tale).

The key is not to create unique characters, but memorable ones. Characterization is actually the part of writing I feel I'm best at. Most characters for role-plays get churned out in a couple of hours, and I'd like to think that, even if some of them have similar themes, most of my RP characters are interesting. Of course, I'm biased.

EatPieYes

Jul 22, 2010
When I write a character I usually start out with the appearance, and base the personality upon that. It may seem shallow, but it works. At least in my mind are the characters more than simple cardboard personalities.

Then again, I'm pretty bad at making a functional and interesting story. One that also has an ending. So in the end, it doesn't even matter if the characters are well-written and thought out.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Sparrow said:
Pirate Kitty said:

Poor logic, sweetie.
I know that you are arrogant, that's evidence enough for me. Regardless, you most likely expected backlash from your comment. It almost seems as if you were hunting for some kind of argument, like searching for a nice dick waving competition to see who's got the biggest junk.

Regardless, evidence of your prowess in writing wouldn't go amiss.
Dick waving? How mature.

Best you check your correspondents gender before saying such things.
I knew you were a chick, the term "dick waving" still applies. You don't need a penis to flaunt your abilites. Regardless, I am most likely doing exactly what you want me to do: baiting myself into a battle of words to make one of us look the better person.

Good day, sir.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I write, I also used to be a psychology major before I switched to sociology. I like to think that I could write a story that grabs my reader and grips them in ways that at least the middle 50% of writers couldn't.

On the other hand, I've never had anything published. I've had a lot of people read poems and stories I've written and told me that I should get them published, but when it comes down to it, I don't like my finished product and keep refining it. When I'm done, I might try to get some published. I know a few people that have connections in the publishing business, so I might have a fair shot at it.

I know for a fact I could write better characters than those dime store love novels. >.>

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
well i am a writer
because it's basically my only talent
not an experienced game writer
and i don't think i could write anything better than what's already out there
i mean i know i could outstrip some of the crap out there
but to come up with something that's never been done and do the best version there'll ever be of it?
challenge

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I probably couldn't. On the other hand, I could easily create a deep, dynamic setting with a reasonable level of intrigue, political tension ect.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I've written a movie script,I'm currently taking it through re-writes though, because I know some areas where it needs improving, but the majority of my friends (many of whom will be starring in the movie) think it's pretty good, so I guess I'm happy with that.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
I'm a writer.

I know I can write better characters than 99.9% of the design community.
On one hand I think you're probably correct, but on the other I think you're wrong.

Writers in game designers have to work within the confines of the game, the designers already have the plot, and roughly how they want the characters to get there. Meaning it's a insanely limited environment for writing. Harder to be creative, when you're stuck in a bird cage, and being told No everytime you think of something that clashes with the game.

You could perhaps write something better in comparison to what they have, but I'm unsure whether you could triumph over them in a situation where you're both free to just Write.

Essentially I don't believe that judging a writer based on the writing in his games is the most fair thing to do.