I did it, I changed my name

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
Gaius Maxwell at least sounds like an actual name and not something stripped from a fantasy story. I'd still probably go with something more modest than a Roman emperor's name, but it's your decision.
How is that actually worse than all the people named Julius and Augustus running around?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Ieyke said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Gaius Maxwell at least sounds like an actual name and not something stripped from a fantasy story. I'd still probably go with something more modest than a Roman emperor's name, but it's your decision.
How is that actually worse than all the people named Julius and Augustus running around?
Since when were there lots of people named Julius and Augustus running around? If you're referring to the shortened version of those names Julie and August I'd say the difference is that those have become common names that are no longer most closely associated with Roman Emperors. Gaius on the other hand is pretty uncommon, so when I hear it I immediately think Caesar. To me it seems like a very proud, bordering on egotistical name to pick for yourself. But that's just me, and I already said I thought it was a much better name than his previous considerations.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
It's a substantial improvement on the previously suggested name I have to admit- still slightly eccentric though. At least It's probably not going to harm the OP's employability.

However I do worry for any kids the OP might have- but least they'll have a normal family name.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
OlasDAlmighty said:
Since when were there lots of people named Julius and Augustus running around? If you're referring to the shortened version of those names Julie and August I'd say the difference is that those have become common names that are no longer most closely associated with Roman Emperors. Gaius on the other hand is pretty uncommon, so when I hear it I immediately think Caesar. To me it seems like a very proud, bordering on egotistical name to pick for yourself. But that's just me, and I already said I thought it was a much better name than his previous considerations.
Julius/Julian isn't that uncommon in the UK, though it is usually associated with the older generation.

And actually, Gaius/Caius was one of the most common Roman names. It's almost like the Roman equivalent of Jack or John.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Eamar said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Julius/Julian isn't that uncommon in the UK, though it is usually associated with the older generation.

And actually, Gaius/Caius was one of the most common Roman names. It's almost like the Roman equivalent of Jack or John.
True, but if you hear Gaius, you usually think of Caesar, don't you? If I hear the name August, I rather think of the month August than of emperor Augustus.
Edit: Apparently many people rather think of gay asses than Caesar, so... I guess I'm not so sure.

If I had to pick a new name for myself I'd probably pick something more humble too, although the OP, in his anime fandom, might not have considered the reference with Caesar at all, but then again my second name was chosen after Alexander the Great by my parents, so I'm probably not the one to talk here.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
CloudAtlas said:
True, but if you hear Gaius, you usually think of Caesar, don't you? If I hear the name August, I rather think of the month August than of emperor Augustus.
Personally, I don't actually. Over here you learn about "Julius Caesar" in school, the "Gaius" bit gets dropped for some reason. But I can only speak from personal experience, of course.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
Ieyke said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
No. I mean Julius and Augustus. They're not COMMON names, but they're considered regular names.

Augustus Agar, Royal Navy officer
Augustus Anson, VC recipient
Augustus B. Woodward, Chief Justice of Michigan territory
Augustus Bradford, Governor of Maryland
Augustus Brine (1769-1840), English naval officer
Augustus C. Dodge, U.S. Senator from Iowa
Augustus Clifford, 1st Baronet, MP
Augustus de Morgan (1806?1871), mathematician
Augustus d'Este, first known multiple sclerosis patient
Augustus Dickens, brother of Charles Dickens
Augustus Edward Hough Love (1863?1940), mathematician
Augustus Egg, British painter
Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton
Augustus Frank, US Representative from New York
Augustus H. Kenan, (1805-1870) a Georgia politician and signer of the Confederate Constitution
Augustus II the Strong (1670?1733), King of Poland and Elector of Saxony
Augustus III of Poland (1696?1763), King of Poland and Elector of Saxony
Augustus John (1878?1961), painter
Augustus Jones, Canadian surveyor
Augustus Lukeman, American sculptor
Augustus Montague Toplady, Anglican clergyman
Augustus Octavius Bacon, U.S. Senator from Georgia
Augustus Pugin, English architect
Augustus R. Wright, (1813?1891) American politician and lawyer from Wrightsboro, Georgia, and signer of the Confederate Constitution
Augustus Short, Australian bishop
Augustus the Younger, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1579?1666), Duke within the Holy Roman Empire
Augustus Thomas, American playwright
Augustus Volney Waller (1816?1870), British neurophysiologist
Augustus Desiré Waller (1856?1922), scientist and son of Augustus Volney Waller
Augustus, Elector of Saxony (1526?1588)
Lord Augustus Loftus, Australian diplomat
Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (1773?1843), son of George III

Julius Aghahowa (born 1982), a football striker from Nigeria
Julius Akosah (born 1982), a Cameroonian-Hongkonger professional association football player
Julius Axelrod (1912?2004), an American biochemist
Julius Bacher (1810?1889), German playwright and novelist
Julius Bär (1857-1922), German banker
Julius Boros (1920?1994), Major winning golfer
Julius Brink (born 1982), a German beach volleyball player
Julius Erving (born 1950), an American basketball player
Julius Evola (1898?1974), a Sicilian philosopher
Julius Fučík (disambiguation), multiple people
Julius La Rosa (born 1930), an American pop singer
Julius Malema (born 1981), South African politician
Julius Masvanise (born 1966), a Zimbabwean track and field athlete
Julius Nyerere (1922?1999), president of Tanzania
Julius Richard Petri (1852-1921), German bacteriologist
Julius Petersen (1839?1910), a Danish mathematician
Julius Rosenberg (1918?1953), an American communist
Julius Schwartz (1915?2004), a comic book and pulp magazine editor
Julius Streicher (1885?1946), notorious Nazi newspaper editor
Julius the Veteran (255-302), a Catholic saint and martyr

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Ieyke said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Ieyke said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
No. I mean Julius and Augustus. They're not COMMON names, but they're considered regular names.

[Snipped for space]
The fact that wikipidia has a couple dozen listed people with these names from the some total of all human history doesn't exactly change my opinion of their popularity. Maybe I'm just ignorant and uncultured, but looking over this list there's only one person on here I've even heard of before.

chattycathy

Nov 14, 2013
Congratulations Gaius. If you are in threat of losing interest in this name at some point in the future, there's always, Guy, G-Dog, Aye and such.Throwing confetti at you!

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
delta4062 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
January 2014 on the Escapist.

The month of peculiar names, or, How to make your future children hate you.

But whatever, it's your name, so feel free to change it to whatever you want. I think it's ridiculous, only a few pegs below Remmington Thunderknife, but whatever floats your boat.

BRB, chaninging name to Remmington Thunderknife.
My thoughts exactly.

Is this the replacement for sexism threads? Picking stupid names for you and your children?
Hey, at least it doesn't spark complete lunacy like those threads did...

But really, you can call yourself what you want, as others have said, I can certainly think of worse names...

OT: Well done, I suppose... Then again, changing your name could really mean a whole new start in life, it'd probably get me motivated to do something special...

At least some people can go "Gaius.... As in.... (Insert game/movie/book/whatever title here)"

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Congrats, if it has made you happier then that's all that matters... personally I would never change mine, not because I am a stick in the mud or anything, but just because I don't really care much for names anyway, they are just ways of letting people identify you from other people, so one should be as good as the next (except John Smith, of course :p . As Shakespeare said "what's in a name?".

Faewerd

Jan 30, 2013
Each person should have whatever name they want, I hate the entire civil registration system, it's like when you're born you're registered as a property, as a product, an object, then when you get older you get your documents and becomes a definitive property of the government's system, you and your biological information will be indexed and you'll have to live exactly as they tell you to, or they'll come after you because they'll know everything you do in your life and where to find you, a person being classified by a name in a system is the same as being classified by a number, you're just another product in their shelves. In my personal view registering people when they born is the same as registering cattle. I would personally prefer a name that no one has had before, or with a important meaning to me, than a common name that millions of people have, I mean I don't want to be a living homage to some person who has lived before me, I want to be myself, and if someday I'm worth of being rememberd through history, then I'll be remembered with my unique name and it will be other people who will pay homage to me, my name is very common, my first name is Joanna, and my second name is Philipp, and my family name is Lavigne, John and Phillip were apostles of Jesus so there are millions of them in the world no doubt, and Lavigne is a name of people who planted grapes and produced wine in France, there are probably hundreds of thousands of Lavignes in my country alone. Actually I'd prefer to be known by a nickname, that I would give myself or the people close to me would give to me based on my personality traits or how others perceive me, emphasizing my own being and personality instead of social conventions, ya know? I think family names are also stupid, its only purpose is to pass on the hierarchy or heirdom of a bloodline or lineage, mere social means, and I freaking hate the fact that in many societies women adopt the family name of the man when they marry, another medieval social practice. millions of people out there have the same family name as you and you're not even related in any way, other than being humans. So, to sum up I have all the reasons to dislike civil registration, but yes I know it's necessary that's why I have to keep documents and stuff, and another reason to keep my original name is that it's a dear memory from my parents, so I dunno. But yeah don't mind me, these are just my personal opinions, just some thoughts I have and wanted to share in ths thread. Anyway my sincere congratulations, I'm glad that you could have the name you wanted and you're happy, I've thought about changing my name many times, I may do it in the future as well.

shrekfan246 said:
"Mithos Yggdrasill".
Mithos Yggdrasil is going to be the name of my child *-*

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
[/quote]
Olas said:
Ieyke said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Ieyke said:
OlasDAlmighty said:

[Snipped for space]
The fact that wikipidia has a couple dozen listed people with these names from the some total of all human history doesn't exactly change my opinion of their popularity. Maybe I'm just ignorant and uncultured, but looking over this list there's only one person on here I've even heard of before.
You seem to miss the point. These are just the famous ones....not all of the ones who are just ordinary people. I've gone to school with multiple people with each name. It's not exactly common, but it IS a name well established in modern usage.