I disagree with Yahtzee in a lot of areas.

Top Dollar

Jan 3, 2009
tooktook said:
blah blah Yahtzee loves stupidness blah blah
Oh irony.
Also I think you need to look up some words, try opinion, critic and entertainment for starters.

Blade3dge

Nov 12, 2008
Littaly said:
Blade3dge said:
Littaly said:
He is extremely narrow minded, that's what makes his reviews fun. Though he also has a lot of good points in what he says.
He's not narrow minded at all, from what I see he liked at least 50% of the games he played. He just does his job well and tells you whats bad about games unlike most other jackasses.
Narrow minded was perhaps a bad choice of words, he's just... I don't know, it's hard to describe. Bottom line is there are not many games that he actually likes, wether or not he disagrees with most other critics.
He rarely actually states that he hates games and when he does he generally has popular opinion on his side, see:Tomb Raider (a game nobody could like). Just cos he bashes a game doesn't mean he hates it it means he's doing his job, that being to criticise a game.

I could choose some of my favourite games of all time and decide to criticise them, I could go on until people think I hate the game a which point I would stand up and say "actually I love the game". Why? Because my criticisms all though legitimate would be things that I can overlook. Some people however might not be able to overlook these criticisms and hate the game. So as much as I love a game, my criticisms of it which I find inconsequential will be important to somebody and that is why critical reviews work. You just need to think. Can I overlook this criticism.

In the case of Yahtzees DMC4 review, I loved the game and have played it through multiple times but I still find every criticism legitimate. These criticisms however are things I can overlook cos the combat is so bloody awesome, some people however might not be able to overlook these or may not enjoy the combat as much as me. In that case be glad Yahtzee is writing the review and not me.

Yonni-Kun

Jun 15, 2008
I don't really give a second thought to his opinions, I just watch ZP for entertainment.

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
tooktook said:
I disagree with Yahtzee in a lot of areas, namely in his hate for great titles that don't try many new things and his love for ridiculous wacky titles that try many new things. Many times he has spoken of his love for ridiculous things like A French chef shooting veloceraptors out of a gun or the wackiness (stupidness) of Saints Row 2.

I realize now that I disagree with him a lot because I actually find his tastes in gaming quite often very stupid. The idea of a French chef shooting veloceraptors out of a gun doesn't appeal to me at all. To clarify I'm not saying Yahtzee is a stupid person, I'm saying I sometimes find his tastes in games stupid. He seams to me like the dumb guy in the movies that laughs loudly when someone trips on a banana peel, he just happens to be very intelligent.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not calling his opinions stupid, I'm saying some of them don't appeal to ME. They seem silly to me. I want to see your opinions.

Post title edited for clarity, superfluous poll removed. -mod
Oh my, you disagree with someone on the internet(for some reason I'm very crass today). Yahtzee's stating his opinion, you have no right to call it stupid. You can have your own opinions on games, I just don't know why you would have to shoot down his beliefs simply because you disagree with him. His 'reviews' are intelligent and humourous for the most part, if you don't agree with him, shrug and move on.
People are saying that Yahtzee's reviews aren't seriousness and they're just meant to be funny. What bugs me is that a lot of people do take his reviews seriously "Thanks to Yahtzee I only rented Mirrors edge" and in the very same post they say it's not meant to be taken seriously!

And another Thing! people are telling me I don't have the right to target his "opinion" ( when I was really talking about his tastes in gaming) That's like saying you don't have the right to say you don't like shooters! In this thread I am not saying Yahtzee has dumb opinions I'm saying some of the game "types" he enjoys, I find stupid. Thats the same as saying you don't like JRPG's because you find them to slow.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Personally, I think Yahtzee is a tad too jaded. Name a good mainstream game - e.g. BioShock or Dead Space - and he shot it full of holes with his razor-sharp tongue. You probably shouldn't take him too seriously - he's probably mostly being so critical because he realizes his viewers are watching for the funny, and complements aren't funny enough.

Thus, you'll see an emphasis on strange ethnic-wielded odd-object-firing guns and Saints Row wackiness, not necessarily because Yahtzee totally loves these things and thinks all games should make a complete blundering moron of themselves to amuse him, but rather because mentioning those things is humorous.

So, yeah, the OP as thick not to pick up on that -- as are a lot of posters here for trying to support the logical validity of what was intended to be a joke. ;)

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
I also disagree with Yahtzee in a lot of areas. In fact I can only think of 4 reviews of his I agree with. CoD4, Sonic, Too Human, and Saints Row 2. On every other game he has been way too soft. Especially with those steaming heaps of crap that were Fable 2 and GTA4.

But I don't feel the need to start a thread about it. And I don't think that makes him stupid nor do I think that there is something wrong with me because of it.

I really don't think Yahtzee ever set out to become some kind of gaming guru, but I suppose with popularity comes these things.

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
I mainly watch ZP for a good laugh but a lot of times i understand where he is coming from and i liked the way he presents things. He in retrospec is a game reviewer that reviews games but doesn't sit there telling you why this game is awesome. He sits there babbling about why most games suck. Most game reviewers chew your ear off on why they like games but i prefer the way Yahtzee does things, chewing your ear off about the flaws of games which most people just ignore or never notice.

N0TS3W

Jan 1, 2009
this thread is stupid, as is tooktook's argument "namely in his hate for great titles that don't try many new things". I can't think of a great new title that yahtzee has critized without justification. i.e GTA IV was shit

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Honestly I have never disagreed with anything he has ever said, at least when it comes to the games I've played. Yes, he emphasises the negatives and often seems to intentionall miss the point for comedic effect but that doesn't mean he's wrong. Eve (and MMO's in general) is like a second job. Mercs 2 might as well have been called "horray for airstrikes". Super Smash Brothers Melee does get a bit hard to follow, especially on larger levels when you have players spread out across the screen and the camera desperately tries to fit everyone in.

Besides, his videos are entertaining. I find out what's annoying about the game and get a few minutes of fun to boot so I have nothing to complain about. If I want to know what worked even slightly I can just look at any other major review site in the internet.

kits456

Oct 6, 2008
Thresher said:
Anyway, opinions are like bellybuttons. Everyone's got one, but they aren't all the same.
I believe the phrase you're looking for is: "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink."

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
N0TS3W said:
this thread is stupid, as is tooktook's argument "namely in his hate for great titles that don't try many new things". I can't think of a great new title that yahtzee has critized without justification. i.e GTA IV was shit
I don't think that GTA was shit, nor did I get the impression that Yahtzee said it was shit. He disliked several of the mechanics chagnes and didn't care for the gritty story turns. I didn't like dealing with the whole "friends" bit any more than the next guy but the game suceeds wonderfuly in many ways. Saints Row 2 was certainly more fun and I actually finished that game but that doesn't mean GTA didn't have it's moments.

PitrDeVries

Jun 4, 2008
Yahtzee needs to be entertaining, not nesscarily right. It's in his best interest to always hate on a game and spit venom, because thats what makes us laugh. Personally, I love a few games he's bashed on, but his reviews still make me chuckle, thanks to that tiny black kernel of truth buried somewhere in his dank pits of bile.