I don't see why _____ gets so much hate...

KFalcon

May 5, 2011
Jhooud said:
Quazimofo said:
Evil Smurf said:
why do COD enthusiasts get flamed so much?
what COD represents in the industry, and the almost uncannily horrid online community. i mean really, not even the sailors at the nearby dock in chicago swear as much as these kids. albeit they are hobby sailors (i.e they like to race not too far from shore out on lake michigan) but you still hear a good bit of vulgarity out on the water.

but yeah, the games are very fun.
I've had a lot of fun with CoD, mainly with the co-op stuff (either the horde/zombies modes or fighting bots) but I have spent some time online. That time I've put in online - primarily in pugs on team deathmatch - has been remarkable for the lack of any particular communication at all. During matches, I've heard the occasional mild expletive but nothing over the top. Whether I have a good, neutral or bad match, I've never received any hate in or out of game.

Maybe I've been crazy lucky, or maybe the average player really isn't that bad.
You must be really lucky. I am fairly good at CoD games, I usually do well and when I do very well, I receive some volley of abuse. I've even been accused of cheating/hacking and making a second account on XBL just to boost my Call of Duty stats (that was on CoD4) which is laughable. The funniest part is watching my rep on xbox live go from neutral/haven't given feedback, to 73% avoided after playing CoD4/MW2 for a few months and they put stuff like disruptive communication when I don't ever leave a party so i never actually have used ingame chat.

OT: Mass Effect 3 - sure the ending wasn't amazing but it was fairly average, but people say the entire game sucked because of it.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Hydrophobia

Yeah it has flaws but some people were acting as if it was Superman 64. That being said I got it on steam, after they fixed a ton of shit.
I hear you, I love that game.

Granted, it's far from perfect, but it's still damn good. I wish it didn't repeat so many puzzles so often (I'm looking at you arbitrary wall cyphers), but the greater focus on using environmental hazards over straight bullets, plus the water physics, makes it a refreshingly different type of game.

OT: The Pirates of the Caribbean Movies (the first 3). Sure, they're silly and goofy. That's the point. They weren't trying to make a serious pirate movie.

What they made was fun, likeable, and genuinely entertaining.

If only the 4th movie hadn't been so horrible....

I do wish someone would make a decent Jack Sparrow movie, though. There's potential there, but you'd really have to go back to the first movie's style. Not as silly and more morally ambiguous. Ah, well, too late now.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Vault101 said:
a thing that is disliked by people...where you don't get what all hate is about
Michael Bay.
I think that among his movies, the only ones that are genuinely bad are "Pearl Harbor" and "Transformers 2" (everyone started to hate on the 1st one only after the 2nd one came out and the 3rd one just got some leftover hate).

Uwe Boll.
this one is interesting because people only pay attention to his movies based on video games, which he admitted he hates doing but it's those movies that make him money. When he releases a decent movie like "Rampage", everyone ignores it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
TopazFusion said:
Bioshock 2

Sure the story isn't as great as the first game. But I found the gameplay solid and enjoyable.
Also, the weapons, equipment and abilities, not to mention the AI had all been improved from the previous game.
Beaten to it already. The strangest thing is, the only complaints I ever see are that it is set in Rapture again and it's story isn't as good.

If it recycled any areas I could understand the former complaint, but it doesn't, it creates entirely new places.

With the second argument, people often fail to realise that a significant portion of the story is very similar to System Shock 2. It doesn't stop it from being a great story, but it is not as original as people make it out to be.

gravitate

Nov 28, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
If you ask me, i got no problem with CoD enthusiasts and legit players, its more against the RETARDS infesing that community...
You know, the "call of duty is the greatest game ever made its so original its totally not about shooting stuff and teabaggIng all day for a whole damn series and MW3 is not the same game as MW2 because the weapons look prettier OMG ITS SOO GOOD bioshock ripped CoD off because it has shooting in it shut up im right" types. They need to burn.

OT: mass effect: paragon lost. It looks pretty cool to me, and the few flaws in the trailer arent THAT bad and would probably be fixed in the given time.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sanat said:
A Thousand Suns was a literal abomination of an album, destroying rhythm, melody and harmony with angsty out of tune progression. It's an atrocious album, and I'm a fairly avid Linkin Park fan. And then there's Living Things, which is, for lack of better/more descriptive terminology, generic as fuck.

Linkin Park is more or less dead to me nowadays, and it's sad. They did so, so much great stuff.
honestly?...I don't see the bloody difference...(linkin park "then" and "now" that is)

minutes to midnight seemed "generic as fuck" to me

but of coarse its music...its really hard to argue about music

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Halo.
I love Halo. It's different (these days anyway) has fantastic gameplay, Much better stories than it's given credit for (mostly in the expanded universe) and the number one thing is, It isn't filled with annoying eight year olds like everyone thinks. You know why?
The annoying little children now all play Call of Duty instead of Halo.

Basically, good community, good content, good game.
It isn't universally hated, but there is quite a group that seems to love to hate Halo.

Dtox333

Dec 7, 2011
juyunseen said:
Halo.
I love Halo. It's different (these days anyway) has fantastic gameplay, Much better stories than it's given credit for (mostly in the expanded universe) and the number one thing is, It isn't filled with annoying eight year olds like everyone thinks. You know why?
The annoying little children now all play Call of Duty instead of Halo.

Basically, good community, good content, good game.
It isn't universally hated, but there is quite a group that seems to love to hate Halo.
I honestly never understood some of the disdain halo has gotten from some people.

When people would reference halo in a negative way, it always made me think, in utter surprise, "wait, what? what are you talking about?"

I still can't understand it to this day.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
The new series of Doctor Who, it seems to get a lot of flak.

I've never been a big DW fan but I'm enjoying it..

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
A quick check and I'm the first! I didn't ninja'd! HA!
Ashley from Mass Effect
First off, she was actually very well written if you took the time to actually talk to her and understand her point of view. She is often commonly misrepresented as a very xenophobic person. Just because she doesn't trust the aliens for a perfectly good reason (her grandfather was completely dishonored because he surrendered to the Turians because they were killing civilians thus stunting her own career in the Alliance) doesn't mean that she hates them. She merely points out that it might not be a wise decision to let non-Alliance members roam what is essentially the Alliance's newest and most technologically advanced ship.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Nickelback.

I'm sorry, I know they're supposed to be this really terrible band, and I know that in general I would be considered to have good music taste (if a little old fashioned) but I just don't see why people don't like them.

Sure there's nothing excessively deep and meaningful about their songs but they're good solid well produced pop-rock, and there's nothing wrong with that every once in a while. Sure they're not my favuorite band, but they're hardly deserving of all the crap they get.
Ninja'd. People keep acting like they're this unlistenable monstrosity, but every time I hear them it's just the regular generic stuff that their haters will praise in other bands later on. If you have a problem with actual nefarious deeds or just an abuse of the music making system (Exmp. Auto Tune), then I can back you up, but generic music doesn't really set me off.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
For me, I don't understand why Final Fantasy XIII gets so much hate.

Sure, it was linear and at first it was slow but it was trying to slowly introduce the player to the battle system. I thought the battle system was very unique and smart and the story was actually very fucking cool.

Plus, the soundtrack was brilliant most of the time.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Lady Gaga; She might be pretty weird, she's not offensively weird. You may not like her music, but thats no reason to hate her.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Nickelback.

I'm sorry, I know they're supposed to be this really terrible band, and I know that in general I would be considered to have good music taste (if a little old fashioned) but I just don't see why people don't like them.

Sure there's nothing excessively deep and meaningful about their songs but they're good solid well produced pop-rock, and there's nothing wrong with that every once in a while. Sure they're not my favuorite band, but they're hardly deserving of all the crap they get.
They're not terrible. They're generic. I know, I know, that's one of the most used buzzwords ever for media, but it's true. If you set up a factory to churn out mainstream, popular music on a conveyer belt, it would produce Nickelback albums. I actually like their first two albums, but everything after that has just evoked a resounding "Meh" from me. It's a lot like what happened to Papa Roach after Getting Away With Murder was released - They just never changed. They've been releasing essentially the same album for years. It's boring.

OT: To address the thread title, everything. I don't think there's a single thing that I can come up with that I haven't seen on the receiving end of excessive vitriol on these forums.

More specifically, I have to agree with my Sonic-bro Andy Shandy up there on Sonic. '06 was bad, it was borderline unplayable and had far too much emphasis on the story. But since then, and before then, Sonic games were never terrible. I'd even argue that apart from plot and the bugs prevalent in Adventure, Adventure 2, and Heroes, they're all pretty good games. Unleashed had the ridiculous Night levels, but the Day levels were great apart from level design, and set the framework for Colors and Generations, which are genuinely good games. And yet people continue bashing it and bashing it, while ignoring a franchise such as Silent Hill, which hasn't had the resurgence of quality at all since it began declining after 4.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I'm going to throw in another vote for Nickelback. They're not really my sort of thing, but when I see how much hate they get I don't even know what's going on. I know that those two songs are exactly the same, and that is pretty cheap, but that doesn't mean Nickelback are bad. Especially not that bad. Even though I don't particularly like it, even I still find a few of their songs pretty catchy. Yet most people don't just dislike their music, they seem to seethe with fury at the very thought of them. Just... why? There's much, much worse people clogging up the music industry.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Too Human.

Yeah, it was too long in production and didn't live up to expectations but I thought it was a neat little game that was actually very enjoyable in co-op mode. I will admit to getting bored playing by myself and that level design truly merits a punch in the groin.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Pandas in WoW.

You hate Pandaren? Oh, and you accepted THE SPAWN OF GOATS AND DAVY JONES FROM SPACE without any problem. Golly jee, those Pandaren are so implausible, eh?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Jhooud said:
Quazimofo said:
Evil Smurf said:
what COD represents in the industry, and the almost uncannily horrid online community. i mean really, not even the sailors at the nearby dock in chicago swear as much as these kids. albeit they are hobby sailors (i.e they like to race not too far from shore out on lake michigan) but you still hear a good bit of vulgarity out on the water.

but yeah, the games are very fun.
I've had a lot of fun with CoD, mainly with the co-op stuff (either the horde/zombies modes or fighting bots) but I have spent some time online. That time I've put in online - primarily in pugs on team deathmatch - has been remarkable for the lack of any particular communication at all. During matches, I've heard the occasional mild expletive but nothing over the top. Whether I have a good, neutral or bad match, I've never received any hate in or out of game.

Maybe I've been crazy lucky, or maybe the average player really isn't that bad.
You're not alone, there. I spent a few months playing online just to see what all the fuss was about, and I never witnessed any of the underage rage in a cage people talk about constantly; hell I even made a few new friends on PSN off the back of some team deathmatches.

I suspect this may be a case of Chinese whispers, where a few stories of bad apples spread around, and suddenly everyone has experienced a shitstorm every single time they play online.

OT: Bronies. I'm not one myself, and I've never watched MLP because I have an obsessive nature and worry I'll become one, but I don't get the amount of hate that's directed at these people.

Usually I notice it's because they claim that Bronies force their fandom into everything, but the only time I ever see that happen is when a) someone starts a 'the problem with Bronies thread' or b)brings them up in a negative light in an existing thread, causing people to defend themselves.

I know some people think it's weird to enjoy a kids TV show, but they seem happy to ignore the fact that a large part of the Escapist community who watch anime are doing the exact same thing.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
KFalcon said:
OT: Mass Effect 3 - sure the ending wasn't amazing but it was fairly average, but people say the entire game sucked because of it.
Have you ever bitten into a piece of cake (or other delicious treat), only to discover minutes later the entire center of the cake was eaten out by cockroaches/other bugs?