I don't trust Valve anymore.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Yeah...Even my favourite video game company isn't beyond at least a little bullshit it seems.

Do what I do. Don't trust anyone. It works wonders.

*sticks on tin foil hat*

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
starfox444 said:
I agree with you about the prices being ridiculous, but I'm going to have to agree with giving the account a ban. Otherwise, saying that the "Hat isn't worth that guy's Steam account" makes it sound like if you buy enough games on Steam, you are above rules of decent conduct.
Nope, but it SURE as hell means that, even if I was a terrible BASTARD in every online game I have on steam that I suddenly lose the right to play all those other games at all.

I mean, I own three games on steam that I never realized relied on Steamworks to begin with. Most recently New Vegas. If I grief and cheat in TF2, fine I get banned. Water under the bridge. Expected result. But if I grief and cheat in TF2 I suddenly don't get to play my Single Player Game where I can only grief and cheat against some silly math problems?

Veritasiness

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, banning an entire Steam account over TF2 item scamming seems like a pretty bad decision, buisnesswise and playerwise.

On the other hand, it is an excellent deterrent - if it's commonly expected that Valve will remove your access to ALL of your games for scamming in one of them, well, who'd take that risk?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Seems a bit extreme to me. At least he got his account back which means Valve looked into the problem.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
jackpipsam said:
Valve lost me when they stoped updating Half-Life 2 deathmatch
Noting that this is a relatively old post, how exactly would one update Half-Life Deathmatch? Not a whole lot to change in a game specifically designed for deathmatch rounds, or at least it would seem that way.

Jun 23, 2008
I have my own annoyances with Steam, but mostly they seem to do right. I still think licenses for games should be transferable from one account to the next, but they've made a strong point to steer away from the ultra-dick-moves, like charging a subscription fee, requiring a continuous connection for single-player activity, or limiting installations.

I suspect that the current incident(s) with the Mann-conomy are part of its growing pains. We saw similar problems with Steam in general with the release of Half-Life 2. These days, with maybe the exception off Stardock's Impulse, it's the most ethically responsible of the online distribution clients available.

Don't expect any better from Activison or EA, to be sure.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The two things that erk me are that you're given free crates that are just screaming at you to spend money to open them, and that the polycount pack needs hats to get the extra bonus.

And the bonuses aren't always balanced mind you. Scout's get an extra 25 hp. No downside.

Snipers are immune to headshots. No downside.

Soldiers get 20% damage resistance from sentries. No downside.

Pyro's get a speed boost, almost on a scout's level now. I was running away from one today in a hallway and THE PYRO CAUGHT UP WITH A SCOUT RUNNING AWAY. Then an airblast or two and you're screwed. They become slightly more vulnerable to bullet damage but that speed boost far outweighs that.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well basing your entire trust on a few accounts if unfair. To be honest, I am not worried at all.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Payne121 said:
He got his account back, obviously they did an investigation. No need to get all worked up over it.
So basically there's no problem?

[sub]It's too late for real reading.[/sub]

Apr 28, 2008
This is why you shouldn't put all your games(eggs) in one service(basket). Its also why I am pissed at more and more games exclusively using Steam.

What happened to that guy sucks, and banning someone over accusations is crap. However perhaps they banned his account temporarily to investigate. If he was suspected of scamming, Valve probably banned him to avoid more people getting scammed.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
The reason I don't trust valve anymore... is because of the whole "we are taking over DOTA" DOTA is blizzards realm and it is a community project that is open source and free. I hope blizzard takes this away from them and leaves it in the hands of the players and the community where it belongs. If they charge for it, ill no longer buy valve games. (i know, an empty threat that they wouldnt care about, but I don't care)