Jun 7, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Sigma Van Lockheart said:
tippy2k2 said:
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
snip
snip
IF you must know im a Troll i join games see whats going on then i make my move. DO you want to know why i wait its because i wait for the stupid people who only play games for kill when there is an objective then immeditly when they lose say "geez guys get on the point! gah noobs" If i troll you then you deserve it for acting like a moron. Also using the word "noob" will result in me picking on you i will go out of my way to make you Rage quit. Also i troll because im normally better that you an so i can.
I am attempting to figure out what you wanted to say in that sentence...(read your post before throwing it up, there are typos and issues all over the place, especially that last sentence). Granted, your statement could also be an attempt at satire and I just don't realize it...

If I'm reading it correctly, you only troll people who you think take the game too seriously? So in order to get them to stop taking it seriously, you decide to ruin the experience for everyone (if it's a team game, you are ruining it for everyone. Your team is handicapped and the opponent gets a boring game since the other team is so fractured)?
Well it was a rushed post so I did not bother to check it. Anyway for better understanding the game I was thinking about at the time was TF2 I should have mentioned that and no I watch the game in spectator mode for a bit to find that players who don?t help the team you know those 9 snipers when you are attacking or the medic who only heals 1 person on his team I will then attack these players aiming to dominate them and just to be a dick I throw it things like "lol you sux" and " Hmm this guy is pretty stupid i think he might be a bot"

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
tippy2k2 said:
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
snip
snip
snip
I am attempting to figure out what you wanted to say in that sentence...(read your post before throwing it up, there are typos and issues all over the place, especially that last sentence). Granted, your statement could also be an attempt at satire and I just don't realize it...

If I'm reading it correctly, you only troll people who you think take the game too seriously? So in order to get them to stop taking it seriously, you decide to ruin the experience for everyone (if it's a team game, you are ruining it for everyone. Your team is handicapped and the opponent gets a boring game since the other team is so fractured)?
Well it was a rushed post so I did not bother to check it. Anyway for better understanding the game I was thinking about at the time was TF2 I should have mentioned that and no I watch the game in spectator mode for a bit to find that players who don?t help the team you know those 9 snipers when you are attacking or the medic who only heals 1 person on his team I will then attack these players aiming to dominate them and just to be a dick I throw it things like "lol you sux" and " Hmm this guy is pretty stupid i think he might be a bot"
Alright, that makes much more sense. I have no problem with shooting a team killer (I don't play TF2 but that medic's actions sounds like a d-bag move).

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Some people are twats. I can kinda see how it's funny in a games like CoD, because it's all quite inconsequential, but in Minecraft it's a giant dickmove to grief someone's work.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
It's a way for people who are alpha jerkoffs on the inside but are forced to act as powerless betas in real life to blow off steam. Pity them.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I kind of get it. I don't do it online though, or to people I don't know (with friends who know I'm just having a laugh, I do). Sometimes its just fun to observe how angry people can get. Yeah, its douchey, but we've all got those tendencies from time to time.

Redweaver

Apr 1, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
This is the thing that has amused me for years, people that get angry over video games but it happens for a reason.
If I get mad at someone for walking over and spitting in my lunch, am I angry at the food?
That has to be the best analogy I have ever seen about anything ever...

I care about the dipshit wasting my time. He thinks it's hilarious to pop in and ruin other peoples fun with the "Its Jest a Gamez guyz! CHILL! U MAD!!1 LOL!". Yes, it is just a game but you're gonna get yourself an ass kicking if you run onto a football field and grab the ball.

Basically, it's the cowards way of ruining other peoples fun.
IF you must know im a Troll i join games see whats going on then i make my move. DO you want to know why i wait its because i wait for the stupid people who only play games for kill when there is an objective then immeditly when they lose say "geez guys get on the point! gah noobs" If i troll you then you deserve it for acting like a moron. Also using the word "noob" will result in me picking on you i will go out of my way to make you Rage quit. Also i troll because im normally better that you an so i can.
The next time you see people enjoying a basketball game too much go knock the ball out of their hands and see what happens. Or find a rugby game to disrupt, I dare you.

You only do it because you know you won't get punched in the face and you know your justification is weaksauce.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
could someone explain to my why it is fun to wreck peoples game times?
The short answer: griefing is just trolling in videogames. To ask "why do people grief' is to ask "why do people troll". The answer: because they're pricks.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Griefers and trolls are assholes. They are the equivalent of high-school bullies. You know the type. Idiots with pathetic lives and crappy homes who think the only way to make themselves feel better is to make everyone else miserable. Real bottom-feeding scum.

Oh, and I don't care what lame excuse they, or anyone so far in this thread, give. I don't care if you insist, "It's just a game bro! Chill.". It doesn't excuse your actions. You're being a dick. Not to mention a coward. If there were any chance your actions could have real-world consequences, I guarantee you'd be too afraid to grief anyone.
Yeah, pretty much. It's easy to throw comments out there about how it's due to taking the game too seriously, or that it's the fault of the game for allowing/encouraing griefing, but it's not actually about the game at all. It's about the immaturity of the griefer and the fact that they can basically get away with it with few/no repurcussions.

If you don't like the way that someone else plays a game, whether it's because they take a competitive game too seriously or if it's because you're serious about your RP in an MMO or anything in between, you have a very simple option. Just ignore them. It's not your place to police how others play the game and, by and large, their choice of how to play the game doesn't impact upon you at all.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
could someone explain to my why it is fun to wreck peoples game times?
It's the whole conflict instinct...you know how some people like to pick fights? Same reason.

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
Redweaver said:
tippy2k2 said:
Redweaver said:
TehDomino said:
This is the thing that has amused me for years, people that get angry over video games but it happens for a reason.
If I get mad at someone for walking over and spitting in my lunch, am I angry at the food?
That has to be the best analogy I have ever seen about anything ever...

I care about the dipshit wasting my time. He thinks it's hilarious to pop in and ruin other peoples fun with the "Its Jest a Gamez guyz! CHILL! U MAD!!1 LOL!". Yes, it is just a game but you're gonna get yourself an ass kicking if you run onto a football field and grab the ball.

Basically, it's the cowards way of ruining other peoples fun.
The next time you see people enjoying a basketball game too much go knock the ball out of their hands and see what happens. Or find a rugby game to disrupt, I dare you.

You only do it because you know you won't get punched in the face and you know your justification is weaksauce.
Allow me to to point out the talk between me and tippy2k2 maybe then you wont jump the gun. Also for a side note i play rugby.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
loc978 said:
It's a way for people who are alpha jerkoffs on the inside but are forced to act as powerless betas in real life to blow off steam. Pity them.
I do, they can only have fun at the expense of others

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Where griefing is fun for me is when me and my friend get tired of playing Battlefield 3 normally we do 'shenanigans.' Where he flies me to the enemies helicopters spawn, we wait for their helio to show up, I hop out, lay C4 on it and wait for someone of the other team to get in it and fly away. When they get far enough to think they're fine I blow the C4, hilarity ensues. The point of this little anecdote is to explain that my griefing isn't about pissing someone off, it's about playing the game in a hilarious way to calm me down after a couple of shitty rounds.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
veloper said:
I reckon it's similar to trolling: if your own silliness can encourage others to act like even bigger fools, you have created entertainment.
Foolish behaviour is where humour comes from afteral.
It's not trolling.

Griefing is supposed to just make people rage at you and make themselves act like fools.

Trolling is a way of deception. It's almost an art. You either have a superior intellect or just convince yourself you do.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

Vigormortis said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Griefers and trolls are assholes. They are the equivalent of high-school bullies. You know the type. Idiots with pathetic lives and crappy homes who think the only way to make themselves feel better is to make everyone else miserable. Real bottom-feeding scum.
Not trying to antagonize you, but trolling is hardly harmful to anyone.

It's almost community service. Trolling has done damage to idiotic forums like Stormfront (just google it and you will know exactly why it should suffer).

Trolling can't have any effect on a website like the Escapist. We are brought together by things we don't even have a consensus on. We still disagree in a lot of gaming related subjects.

In websites like Stormfront people are brought together to create a circle jerk on their stupid views. In my opinion only good things can come from trying to make them hate each other.

Vigormortis said:
Idiots with pathetic lives and crappy homes who think the only way to make themselves feel better is to make everyone else miserable. Real bottom-feeding scum.
My irony detection is off the charts.

And I would like to know how people with pathetic lives and crappy homes afford for computers capable of running BF3 while FRAPsing it at very good framerates and recording sound.

RookwoodX

May 15, 2011
I'm not sure where it comes from but it seems to be a part of our nature. Most children are like this unless they are taught differently. They seem to take joy in watching the suffering of others. It's scary actually.

I guess it's the same reason some people enjoy torturing animals and bullying others. Something in human nature enjoys knowing that it has control over another being and can deny it happiness if they so desire.

Fortunately, video game griefing is mostly harmless. I guess there could be some extreme cases but those would probably involve the loss of anonymity and it spilling over into real life.