I dropped out of college.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Pimppeter2 said:
Its not about the money. Its about the pride. Money is a measure of success. A good and rewarding job is a measure of success. Doing something you love and being good at it is a measure of success. its not about the money. Its about being the best you you can be. Its about being able to think, act, perform at a higher level of thought and freedom.

Its about being able to say, Fuck it, I want to buy a boat and sail on the weekends. And then going out and having the ability to do that. Its about freedom.

Decisions can be wrong. This one is. Dont baby people
Do you not get that people can take pride in jobs that dont require having gone to a university. By your own account, if it's not about the money, then this is NOT a wrong decision. he's doing what's gonna make him happy.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Colodomoko said:
Was this a good idea on my part? I mean the fact is I'll be moving down to Florida, which is already a cheap state to live in, and I figure I could work full time for minimum wage somewhere to pay for what I need.
Were you interested in learning anything? no? then yes.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I dropped out of high school, then I dropped out of college.

I don't regret it.

I'm making decent money, as a bookkeeper at a local grocery. It's a really good job, and I'm currently being groomed for management.

I'm the happiest I've ever been, I have a place of my own with my fiance and life couldn't be better. :)

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Congrats on making what will probably be the biggest mistake of your life.

Seriously, where is the drive in people? Who the fuck wants to earn minimum wage?

I dont get it.
Money isn't the most important thing in the world.

I know its a tired cliche, but it's true. If he hates college, why not drop out? For a better job later down the line? Meh. What use is a job with high pay if you hate the job and have no time to spend the money?

I dunno OP. It depends on a million things. I'd say this is something none of us can judge, it's a decision everyone has to make for themselves.
Its not about the money. Its about the pride. Money is a measure of success. A good and rewarding job is a measure of success. Doing something you love and being good at it is a measure of success. its not about the money. Its about being the best you you can be. Its about being able to think, act, perform at a higher level of thought and freedom.

Its about being able to say, Fuck it, I want to buy a boat and sail on the weekends. And then going out and having the ability to do that. Its about freedom.

Decisions can be wrong. This one is. Dont baby people
There is always "If at first you don't succeed... failure may be your style".

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
That's cool. After two years of going to school and still not knowing what I wanted to do I dropped out so I could work full time. I'll go back... sometime.. - after I figure out what it is I want to do exactly.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Only time will tell if it was a bad decision. Everyone who says it was or wasn't = wrong. There are plenty of things to do without a college degree, but it is fair to say that your options will be a bit more limited. If you join the Navy, they'll assist you in getting a degree. That might be something to consider if you're interested in enlisting in the military. Navy > Other guys.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

<youtube=zJSFIPKnT5s>

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Colodomoko said:
Was this a good idea on my part? I mean the fact is I'll be moving down to Florida, which is already a cheap state to live in, and I figure I could work full time for minimum wage somewhere to pay for what I need.
\

From my perspective, living a life on minimum wage sounds like hell. Good luck man!

Silverslith

Sep 13, 2011
Colodomoko said:
I did my first 2 years of university, burnt out, and then took a break. During that break, I got a degree in life and realized, many years later, that working low-pay jobs just won't cut it as you progress in life. So, I went back 6 years later with a completely different perspective and finished what I started. My grades were also better, as I wanted to be there and my head was on straight. Now I'm working on entering grad school.

No one can tell you if what you are doing is right for you. No one else is in your shoes. You made a decision to leave school, so you must have put some thought into that. Maybe stepping away will give you some perspective as well for what you want to do. Good luck bud.

Hap2

May 26, 2010
I couldn't tell you if it was a bad decision or not, as only time will tell. But it does sound as if you left with little idea of where you are going or what you want out of life.

I will tell you this however: working minimum wage jobs for an extended period of time will more than often suck whatever spirit you may have. Including the 'good' ones.

What a wasteland of world we must live in though. When the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake is so often drowned by the toxic ignorance of those who treat universities as if they were mere job factories.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Pimppeter2 said:

Seriously, where is the drive in people? Who the fuck wants to earn minimum wage?

I dont get it.
Implying the only reason to go to college is for the purpose of making more money? Seriously, maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself the same question. Where is the drive in people?

Honestly, this is why education in America sucks, and sucks hard. Money. People go to college to volunteer for the exclusionary system capitalism today promotes. More people get finance sector or political degrees than they do for science, mathematics etc.

I've personally known very few people who actually "succeeded" at making "lots of money" because of their college degree. They end up on the top of the short-ladder that everyone else is climbing, at the most. At the least they're not even finding jobs. Honestly, it seems most people go to college because they want to be part of a caste system, where they can affirm themselves as "better", and everyone who isn't like them is a piece of shit with no drive.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to drop-out of college, because they've already committed and should probably finish it, I won't pretend like they're guaranteed happiness or success from said degree, however.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
No, dropping out was not a bad idea, if it's not working out for you then it is what it is. What was stupid was signing up in the first place, but at least that's a stupid shared by lots of people.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I dunno, depends on you. If you don't have a real goal in mind that requires you dropping out of college or a solid plan for the future and you still have the resources to attend college, then it was probably a bad idea.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:

I dont get it.
Is that something that's college graduates are guaranteed to avoid? That's very different to how university's work in Australia, and even more different to what I've heard from college graduates I know from North America.

For example, I'm studying a skilled degree with which the local media claims there is a dire shortage (engineering). What I didn't realism when I decided to take this path some years ago was that, rather than take an additional 2 years of school, 4 years of university and minumum 6 months placement so that I can have the opportunity to apply for for a $60,000 graduate position (which works out to around 20% above the standard income for people in my area (balls out minimum wage is 30,800 for a regular working week, however casual rates are considerably higher and full time minimum wage positions are not especially common). I can't offhandedly vouch for how easily one could get a completely unskilled job that pays the same as my (specifically job focused) degree will lead me to, but I do know that the average wage for a trades person (an electrician is the specific example I know, as I know electricians) is exactly the same as that of a graduate engineer. The big difference? Instead of 2 years of senior high school and 4 years of uni they do a 2-3 year apprenticeship. Remember my degree specifically is tailored to entering a work environment where there is a desperate need for applicants. If I'd done something arts or business focused, I wouldn't even be able to compete with the trades wages.

TL:DR
Going to college/uni doesn't guarantee a good wage, and starting work at a low wage doesn't mean you'll never earn a good wage.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
Why would anyone pass up a great opportunity for learning by dropping out of college? Sure, I'd understand it if you dropped a class or two that had terrible professors but turning down the opportunity to grow as a person doesn't make much sense to me.

Whatever happened to getting joy from learning itself? Learning for the sake of learning?
Personally, I think you made a huge mistake. I'd suggest re-attending college after you move to Florida and study something you love.
This will also allow you to make above minimum wage and I need to tell you one thing.

When you are forced to live on minimum wage you can say goodbye to luxuries such as your computer if it breaks down, your internet, fancy food, and other things you take for granted.
Not to mention you'll probably be kicked out of wherever you're staying if you get fired. Don't even think about a car either. Or a family.

However, I'm not here to tell you what you need to do with your life. If you'll be happy scraping together a living each month by working a boring and monotonous job, then go ahead.

In summary, I don't think you should go to college just to make money. I think you should go to college at least some time during your life to enable you to grow as a person and do what you really love.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Meh.. your call. Hope it works out. If it were me, I would be a little more cautious because it means youre now entering a job market that is already strained and absent something that you will find, thanks to the prior generations constant insistence of getting a college education that your peers applying for similar positions likely have. I know its not an insurmountable hurdle, but in this job market, any hurdle can be brutal.

And even if Florida is cheap to live in, Who really wants to scrape the bottom of the barrel and just barely get by? Living from pay check to pay check is not a good way to live. Remember old sage wisdom "A necessitous man is not a free man." Being a wage slave is in effect still a form of slavery.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Colodomoko said:
IMO the only thing worth investing in is knowledge, buying little pieces of paper that tell others your time is more valuable than their time.

What those little peices of paper have on them is different for everybody, but everybody needs those stupid little pieces of paper.

The trick is to find something you love to do, and get paid to do it (and you will never work a day in your life, according to Oscar Wilde).

And trust me, you need to LOVE doing it, because after 10-20 years of doing it, you will struggle to just to endure what you once loved doing...